Old 11-09-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Ten more days!
Old 11-09-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm doing my best to have FFXII finished in the next 10 days then it's ALL Zelda, baby!
Old 11-09-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pixy, any luck finding out accessory and game dates from Best Buy last night?
Old 11-09-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 9 days and 9 hours to go if you're getting it at midnight!
Old 11-09-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
I'm doing my best to have FFXII finished in the next 10 days then it's ALL Zelda, baby!
Mine was Tales of the Abyss which I finished Sunday.. though I'm still playing around with it.. either I just missed a lot of stuff since I wasn't interested in going to each town after every major event or there was just a lot of crap to do once you get to the end..
Old 11-09-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Pixy, any luck finding out accessory and game dates from Best Buy last night?
Oh crap.. I forgot to ask, I was so pre-occupied with the TVs!

Here's a note.. none of the online shops are listing the (official) component cables yet.. last note I read on Go Nintendo (or maybe Joystiq) is that they WERE putting the cables in store for launch. Here's hoping.. I'd rather play with composite for a week waiting for a mail order then buy anything from Mad Catz.
Old 11-09-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

wow, it really is 10 days.

-NiCK
Old 11-09-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Only 9 days and 9 hours to go if you're getting it at midnight!
C'mon... C'MON!!!
Old 11-09-06, 02:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I cannot wait. I hope my pre-order is available next Sunday and that I can get Zelda with it. I have to work for the majority of the weekend, so I hope that'll keep me occupied, albeit quite bored.
Old 11-09-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/09/mi...blogged-kinda/

On the second day of the 2006 Montreal International Game Summit, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime gave the first keynote of the day. His subject, Nintendo's current business model, is already well-worn territory, but more relevant than ever considering that the launch of the Wii is only a mere ten days away. We'll know soon enough whether Nintendo's latest strategy has what it takes to compete in the market.

8:55 - Wow, they sure brought a lot of Wii promo posters to this keynote. The podium area is flanked by Wii banners, and the podium itself features a poster saying "Oh Wii!" It confuses me.

9:11 - Reggie is introduced. The man is a giant, especially when compared to the diminutive show organizer. "It's nice being in Montreal," he says, "where people can properly pronounce my name." The audience laughs appreciatively, so he milks it a little. "You should hear what they do to it when I go to Mexico."

Reggie begins by talking about Canadian development support for the Wii, for which he is very appreciative. He then shifts gears to Nintendo's master plan: "We are focused on doing everything possible to bring new gamers to the industry ... it's important to us, and it's certainly important for you [the industry]."

It's not unfamiliar territory for Mr. Fils-Aime, as he talks about innovation, doing things differently and "disrupting the marketplace." He says that Nintendo has changed the nature of portable gaming, "and in ten day's time, we plan to do that with the console business."

"Some people," Reggie says, "just can't wait." He cuts to a video clip from a recent South Park episode, with Cartman waiting anxiously for the Wii. It plays out as a major endorsement for the console, and the audience laughs at every line Cartman says. Reggie says that when the creators contacted Nintendo to ask permission, Reggie had simply told them to "be kind," and that Nintendo didn't want to see it before it aired. "That line 'it's like waiting for Christmas, times a thousand' is fantastic," Reggie remarks. Yeah, we liked it so much, we made it our headline.

9:15 - According to Reggie, the Nintendo DS was introduced under the "mantra of innovation." He begins referring to charts, showing year-on-year growth of the DS, as compared with the Xbox 360. Guess which one is winning. According to Reggie, DS sales are up 206% in Canada, having soared particularly after the release of the DS Lite.

Reggie then goes into more numbers, and more charts, this time comparing PSP sales to DS sales. He shows some of the Touch Generation games, and shows a video of a DS commercial that runs on Air Canada flights. More charts illustrate Touch Generation's appeal to an older demographic. "When you deliver something exciting for everyone," Reggie says, "magic happens." In February of this year, 12% of DS software buyers in Japan said they never played video games before. In September, that number rose to 20%.

9:25 - Reggie talks about other companies targeting a very specific demographic: "We believe the narrow path was alienating potential consumers ... We opted for disruption." In typical Reggie cheesiness: "We were committed to moving from a class to the mass in this next generation."

Reggie talks about the importance of the interface for video games, and how Nintendo is moving beyond "pure visual appeal, to what you could do with the interface." He pulls a Wii remote from his coat. It looks tiny in his colossal hands. He calls it "a simple remote, which looks like what you would've used on your TV back in eighties, which was intentional." He says that Nintendo wanted the Wii remote to be friendly and familiar.

He says he hopes that Nintendo will "move the industry from sight to touch ... just with DS, our success will be how we expand the audience." Reggie mention the controversy of the pack-in, and says that businessmen have questioned their decision, saying they would've benefited from higher sales had they not included a game. But Reggie says "the great first experience is more important."

He begins showing the launch titles, mentioning that people often ask him what his favorite launch title is. "It's like asking me to pick my favorite child," hey says. As he cycles through the titles, he mentions off-handedly "If I had to pick a favorite child, it would have to be Trauma Center."

There's a great deal of Wii support on launch coming from Ubisoft. Reggie specifically mentions Far Cry, which was developed at Ubi's Montreal studio. "Thank you," Reggie says to the game's developers, and the audience applauds.

9:33 - Reggie's now talking about the Virtual Console: "If you're casual gamer in your 40s, there was probably a game that you absolutely ruled at." The audience laughs in response, or possibly in agreement. Hard to tell.

He asks about the "non-gamers." "For them, the first attraction won't be a video game." This leads him into Wii Channels. He talks about the various channels, and shows off the menu (which I still think is ugly -ed). Reggie reminds us that Nintendo will ship 4 million units by the end of the year, but suggests that if we want the console, we should buy it soon, as "all indications are that demand will certainly exceed supply."

9:40 - Reggie then moves on to Wii's marketing campaign. He talks about the Wii Believe Tour in Canada, which brings playable demos to a variety of locations, one of which being the Arcadia Festival in Montreal this weekend. As we already know, major retails chain will have playable Wii kiosks as well.

Reggie brings up the "How Wii Play" MySpace page, which he says has had over 1 million discrete visits, and currently has over 10,000 friends. There is also a robust marketing campaign through other online channels, including YouTube and Xanga.

Reggie then shows us a rough cut of the Wii's launch advertising in both Canada and the U.S. Two asian men in suits are driving around in a Smart car. They stop at a house, remove a briefcase from the car, and go to the front door. When the person in the house opens the door, they both bow, saying "Wii would like to play." They then enter the house, and engage the household in a variety of Wii games, which everyone enjoys.

They do this with several households, the most memorable of which is a hillbilly-ish shack. When they bow to leave, one of the hicks hugs them vigorously, and the other enthusiastically offers them a live chicken.

At the end of the ad, the two men drive off to the horizon. The Wii logo appears, with the two 'i's bowing just like the men in suits. I would've gotten a photo of the ad, but I was too much in awe.

Reggie ends his talk by saying "there's no reason why every consumer can't enjoy a videogame like everyone can enjoy a great book." He ends his keynote there, and it is announced that there will be no question period. He did, however, mingle for a short while on the show floor.
Old 11-09-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
C'mon... C'MON!!!
I'm dealing with it slightly better than Cartman was. I liked the end of last night's episode. It puts the wait in perspective. 9 more days is nothing.
Old 11-09-06, 02:53 PM

I am planning on heading down to Best Buy to scope out the situation this weekend and formulate my plan. It looks like a nice location (the one in rockville, feel free to join me for some DS action Josh if you're around but might be out of your way). I have a $25 reward card ready to be use on this baby! Double reward points through November too on video games .
Old 11-09-06, 02:55 PM
Retired

Only 10 days I'm really not that excited. Too damn busy and won't have much time to play.

Plus I'm so sucked into Okami I want to put my free time into that until it's done, before jumping into Zelda. So my Wii probably won't get much play time until mid-december other than goofing around with Wiisports when I don't have time for a longer session with Okami.
Old 11-09-06, 03:07 PM
Retired

Monkey Ball review from EGM that was posted on CAG.

Originally Posted by ananag112
ames L: Wrapping your head - or should I say wrists? - around this puzzley game of monkey-stuffed balls takes some getting used to. Holding the Wii-mote horizontally, you carefully maneuver the course to keep your precious ball from rolling off the edge. But since my motor skills are about as skilled as those of a thumb-sucking primate, it was hard to get a grip on all the monkey **** going on. Halfway through the story mode, the stages get insanely difficult, and I had a tough time making myself continue the balancing act with the controller. It doesn't help that when you clear a level, you're awarded with repetitive boss fights. For me, boredom in the story mode set in quicker than my average time of death: about 30 seconds. Thankfully, dozens of minigames keep the arm-flailing party going, covering events like boxing (which has you literally punching the air) and Frisbee golf (be sure to release the A button, not the controller, after making your toss motion - like I nearly did).

Michael: Frustration - that's the feeling that kept me from squealing like a poo-throwing banana eater. Like Jimmy says, Banana Blitz's levels range from somewhat simple to dumbfoundingly difficult. Mastering the tricky Wii controls doesn't help, either - performing simple actions (like turning around) is a chore using the Wii Remote. But while the main stages slipped, the 50 multiplayer minigames held it steady. Not only are the games fun (well, most of them, at least), but they also make good use of the wacky Wii controls. So long as you stick with the multiplayer, this game is a decent monkey-filled ball.

Jeremy: I think young James missed the point. Sure, you've got a single-player mode here (and it's pretty good, if unreasonably hard in the latter half), but the meat of this ballgame is multiplayer. Wii, like the DS before it, will be glutted by minigames until developers come to terms with the unique controller - and Monkey Ball has 50 of the bad boys, making it the Wii's 800-pound minigame gorilla. Sure, they're not all winners, but some of them (like monkey bowling) are addictive, creative, and fun.

The Verdicts (Out of 10)

James L: 6.0

Michael: 6.5

Jeremy: 7.0

The Good: Some innovative mini-games, mostly simple controls

The Bad: Single-player difficulty, not all minigames a ball

The Story: Bizarre but amusing Publisher: Sega Developer: Sega Players: 1-4 ESRB: Everyone
Old 11-09-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, I have Monkey Ball preordered at BestPrices for $43, but I think I might cancel it now. I won't be playing any multiplayer for a while, so that part doesn't really matter to me.
Old 11-09-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
It doesn't sound like those guys liked/played the single player mode in the first two monkey balls either.

IGN's hands-on preview of the single player mode paints a very different picture. http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738563p1.html
Old 11-09-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone sticky this thread?

And also- Is COD3 release date being pushed back?
Old 11-09-06, 03:51 PM

But super Monkey ball is supposed to be a difficult game. Thats the whole point!
Old 11-09-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to try to get one for my wife for our anniversary(guess what? our ann. is Nov. 19th ). she loves her DS so this could be a great console for her since she doesn't really care about the PS3 and she only likes the puzzle Live Arcade games on the 360.
Old 11-09-06, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Monkey Ball review from EGM that was posted on CAG.

Wow, those 'reviewers' sound like illiterate morons. I couldn't care less what they thought about anything.
Old 11-09-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It doesn't sound like those guys liked/played the single player mode in the first two monkey balls either.
That's the vibe I got as well.
Old 11-09-06, 06:37 PM
Retired

I agree...and will pass as I didn't care for the first since I rarely play multiplayer and found the single player game to just be overly difficult and thus frustrating and annoying for me.
Old 11-09-06, 08:09 PM

Anyone jump on the EB Games / Gamestop offer? I was just checking for fun:

Visited the page once, said preorders start soon - visited again, preorders are done - all within about an hour.
Old 11-09-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Here's a list of upcoming games that may be headed to the Wii's VC.

Punch-Out
Pro Wrestling
Kirby's Adventure
Kid Icarus
Hogan's Alley
Wild Gunman
Duck Hunt
PilotWings

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161333.html

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 11-09-06 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-09-06, 09:12 PM

The EB pre-orders have sold out. Personally didn't want it because the included warranty was much too expensive for an item of minimal value. Didn't want a few of the games either. Would have definately purchased if you could choose the games and weren't shafted into an overpriced warranty.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.