Reload this Page >

CW orders 3 additional episodes for ONE TREE HILL & VERONICA MARS

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-08-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Kristin at eonline.com, the CW has given VERONICA MARS and ONE TREE HILL an order for an additional 3 episodes, bringing their season totals to 16. (although I could have sworn that OTH has given a 22-episode order from the beginning)...

This is good news for fan's but its still not a full season - and it's unknown if an additional six episodes will be ordered for each series or not... all i know is that I will never forgive the CW if we get this close to the ONE TREE HILL graduation episode, and yet never see it because only 16 episodes where ordered...
Old 11-08-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I were in OTH's shoes, I think I'd prep the graduation episode as one of the 16 and try to find a way to bump it back to the end of the season if they get 6 more. If they can't do that, they could always try the Felicity approach.
Old 11-08-06, 06:33 PM

I think she meant scripts, not episodes. I don't think they would order just three episodes. Lots of shows are getting additional script orders without a commitment to shoot them.

She actually uses the word "scripts" here:

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristi...d-668ffc09d772

"Veronica Mars: 2.85 million viewers. A slight gain for our favorite lady sleuth but nothin’ to get excited about. Thankfully, the CW doesn’t seem to care and just ordered three more scripts!"
Old 11-08-06, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by gjamesm
I think she meant scripts, not episodes. I don't think they would order just three episodes. Lots of shows are getting additional script orders without a commitment to shoot them.

She actually uses the word "scripts" here:

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristi...d-668ffc09d772

"Veronica Mars: 2.85 million viewers. A slight gain for our favorite lady sleuth but nothin’ to get excited about. Thankfully, the CW doesn’t seem to care and just ordered three more scripts!"

Here is the article

Meanwhile, over on the CW, sources tell me that Veronica Mars has received an order for three more episodes—not the full season it deserves, but this die-hard fan will take it! And apparently, One Tree Hill also has received an order for more episodes

So it is episodes... and that is the weird part... maybe they just want production to continue and they ordered 3 to give them more time on decideding the additional 6 (they don't exactly have a lot of money to throw around at this point...

And the reader who mentioned ONE TREE HILL prep the graduation episode for episode 16, and plus it back if they get more episode had an amazing idea! I just can't stand the fact that the series is so close, yet so far...
Old 11-08-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If they can't do that, they could always try the Felicity approach.
Yikes, please no.

I think doing the Babylon 5 approach may work better. Film the 'final' episode but make it take place years in the future, not at graduation. Then you can use it as episode 16, episode 22, or the final episode of next season, if need be.
Old 11-08-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts
I am pretty sure I have read online that OTH has received a full season, and I have even read rumors of a purposed season five.
Old 11-08-06, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Here is the article

Meanwhile, over on the CW, sources tell me that Veronica Mars has received an order for three more episodes—not the full season it deserves, but this die-hard fan will take it! And apparently, One Tree Hill also has received an order for more episodes

So it is episodes... and that is the weird part... maybe they just want production to continue and they ordered 3 to give them more time on decideding the additional 6 (they don't exactly have a lot of money to throw around at this point...

And the reader who mentioned ONE TREE HILL prep the graduation episode for episode 16, and plus it back if they get more episode had an amazing idea! I just can't stand the fact that the series is so close, yet so far...
I know that she wrote "episodes" I just think that she is wrong. She says episodes in one post and scripts in another. I am willing to bet that it was three scripts ordered and NOT episodes.
Old 11-08-06, 07:55 PM

VM better get a full season. I would hate to live in a world without an Aerie Tuesday.
Old 11-08-06, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I am pretty sure I have read online that OTH has received a full season, and I have even read rumors of a purposed season five.
I've also heard that ONE TREE HILL had been given a full 22-episode season... maybe CW is thinking about expanding it to 25 (the WB was going to do this for season three, but the cw merger stoped them from doing so)... And while season 5 hasn't probably even been considered by the CW yet, Mark Schwan (the creator) has already mentioned he has season 5 pretty well outlined in his head (all he will say is that they would skip the "college years" and season 5 would take place approx 6 years after the graduation episode)...

Originally Posted by gjamesm
I know that she wrote "episodes" I just think that she is wrong. She says episodes in one post and scripts in another. I am willing to bet that it was three scripts ordered and NOT episodes.
But it was reported several weeks ago that scripts where ordered... I don't know, but I'm sure time will tell. Anyway I wrote her an email asking (don't know if I'll get a response, but its worth a shot)
Old 11-08-06, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yay for VM! I like OTH....but not as much as VM.
Old 11-10-06, 09:43 PM

From ew.com

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/index.html#a0014037744

Studio 60' saved, and other perplexing TV deals

"And receiving orders for more scripts (not an official renewal but always a good sign): NBC's Friday Night Lights and 30 Rock and The CW's Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill."

Last edited by gjamesm; 11-10-06 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I'm enjoying any other show more than Veronica Mars this season. I really hope they get a full season.
Old 11-14-06, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A petiton for Veronica Mars:
http://www.petitiononline.com/vm4fulls/
Old 11-14-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I'm excited about this information, I'm also disappointed because a THREE EPISODE mystery arc on Veronica Mars just sounds lame. I mean just give them their remaining 9 episodes so the writers can script a better story arc!
Old 11-14-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
And while season 5 hasn't probably even been considered by the CW yet, Mark Schwan (the creator) has already mentioned he has season 5 pretty well outlined in his head (all he will say is that they would skip the "college years" and season 5 would take place approx 6 years after the graduation episode)...
Interesting idea. I guess that means all the characters, except the parents, could play their real age?
Old 11-14-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the case of VM, the additional order would probably allow them to resolve the second mystery of the season. If they dont commit to a full season, this would at least not leaving the story hanging.
Old 11-17-06, 02:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=700012280

CW has ordered 7 more episodes of VM taking the total to 20.
Old 11-17-06, 02:44 PM

CW has Ordered 8 Additional Episodes of ONE TREE HILL

Bringing the total to 21 for the season!

I'm really happy that I no longer have any series on the air to worry about until the up-front in May (and the Graduation Episode for ONE TREE HILL is now Gaurenteed) and VM will atleast be able to finish her storyline if we don't see a fourth year... (with the amount of pilots CW already has in production, as much as I hate to say it I would be SHOCKED if either of these series survive past may)...
Old 11-17-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=700012280

CW has ordered 7 more episodes of VM taking the total to 20.
Because ordering 2 additional episodes to make it a full season would be too much?
Old 11-17-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You do have to think that 20 will be it for VM. I'd hope that the count is due to the number of episodes that Thomas feels he needs, but the truth is probably that they asked him the minimum number of episodes he needed and that's all he got. I just hope that The CW's development slate develops good (or hopefully bad) early enough that they can notify Rob whether to give the Mars family a proper send off if this is the end.

If this is the end and if they deal fairly with the creative folks to allow them to send the show off right, I won't really fault The CW. The ratings just aren't there, and it's not for a lack of effort. I would kind of wonder where the network goes from there, though. Sunday is a mess. Monday is down versus UPN last year if I recall. Gilmore Girls may not be back. ANTM, wrestling, and a couple of genre shows on Thursdays that aren't performing all that well is barely enough to let them scrape by. Even then, they'd have to hope for a killer slate of new shows.
Old 11-17-06, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Because ordering 2 additional episodes to make it a full season would be too much?
You have to realize that a) the show is the lowest watched drama on the network & b) 20 episodes is better than 13, especially when c) each episode costs about $1.5million (atleast) and the network doesn't really have any money to throw around...