Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cheers Season 9 -- 29 April 08 [merge]

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 09:24 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Season 9 -- 29 April 08 [merge]

So, it's my favorite show of all time, and it's the only one for which I have purchased a single season (and I have all 8 thus far). I know CBS now has the distribution rights, and I'm starting to fear that I won't see seasons 9 - 11. Anyone heard differently?

Thanks as always!
Old 11-06-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I've been wondering as well. It should have hit this or next month, but seeing there has been no announcement it doesn't seem likely at this point.
Old 11-06-06, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah Crap!!!! I've been holding out on this till the whole series gets released. If they have no plans to finish this I'll have scratch it off my DDD wish list
Old 11-06-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the difference between CBS and Paramount? I guess I thought they were of the same parent company? Paramount did release these before, right?
Old 11-06-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I stopped at season 5-don't know If I will get the remaining seasons.
Old 11-06-06, 06:09 PM

i only grabbed the first 3 seasons - i was going to buy more but after i saw that complete series of mash being released i'm assuming they might do the same with cheers?
Old 02-12-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Any new news?
Old 02-12-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not anytime soon
Old 03-02-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Damn, I want more Cheers!!!
Old 03-03-07, 07:03 PM

I am sure a good guess would be that they are trying to stretch this out longer (format wise). I doubt they would get all the way to 8 and then not finish the last three.
Old 08-21-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

G-D Paramount just announced the 10th (and final set) of Fraiser. WHERE THE HELL IS THE NEWS ON CHEERS, BAS-TARDS????
Old 08-21-07, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

With that announcement today, I have officially last all hope for the remaining releases of Cheers to see the light of day. It's a shame considering it was such a great show with the longetivity factor, unlike most of the shows that are being released on DVD. It's a shame when you're seeing "Stacked: The Complete Series" on the shelves before "Cheers: The Complete Ninth Season." But that's the industry for you. Then again, people are more tempted to buy these kinds of shows like Stacked becauses these DVDs always have SENSATIONAL ads and promos ran for them. But Cheers, nothing. SEINFELD always gets buildings and bus shelters, why not a show the stature of CHEERS? I like SEINFELD too, but why can't we ever have any promotions going on for the older shows as well? It really sucks. Paramount blows.
Old 08-22-07, 01:06 AM

They need to finish Cheers and Taxi.

Come on, only a couple of seasons left for each show. What are they going to do next? stop realeasind Wings with a couple of seasons to go.
Old 08-22-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is sad news!...I want to see what happens (I am a younger viewer)
Old 08-22-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cheersfan213
With that announcement today, I have officially last all hope for the remaining releases of Cheers to see the light of day. It's a shame considering it was such a great show with the longetivity factor, unlike most of the shows that are being released on DVD. It's a shame when you're seeing "Stacked: The Complete Series" on the shelves before "Cheers: The Complete Ninth Season." But that's the industry for you. Then again, people are more tempted to buy these kinds of shows like Stacked becauses these DVDs always have SENSATIONAL ads and promos ran for them. But Cheers, nothing. SEINFELD always gets buildings and bus shelters, why not a show the stature of CHEERS? I like SEINFELD too, but why can't we ever have any promotions going on for the older shows as well? It really sucks. Paramount blows.
I agree, I mean Seinfeld is a great sitcom but Cheers was just as good & kept the laughs going for an amazing 11 seasons. It’s one of the few television shows in TV history that not only ran for along time but also kept the shows at a consistent high quality level throughout the whole series. Not even Seinfeld can make that claim.

I think promotion for TOD titles has always been poor & very inconsistent. I mean you see commercials & ads for Ugly Betty (horrible show in my opinion)-the complete first season, but yet I don’t ever think I’ve seen a commercial for any of the Cheers DVDs or basically any TOD title. I think the only TOD titles I’ve seen commercials for are Seinfeld, NCIS, Ugly Betty & ER-the complete 3rd season. It was strange that ER has a commercial for the 3rd season DVD, but no other seasons were promoted. I collect a sh*tload of TOD titles & I’ve always been disappointed on the poor promotion.

Paramount has been doing a decent job with quite a few of their TV series on DVD & hopefully they don’t fu*k us over & never release the final three seasons of Cheers on DVD. I like Frasier as well but why release all the seasons of a spin-off series & not the original. Maybe Frasier sold better but really how much more popular would Frasier be over Cheers?

If we had to do the Cheers vs. Frasier thing I honestly couldn’t tell you which one I like better. Cheers was very funny but Frasier was the same & I liked the “We don’t think the audience is a bunch of idiots approach” to the series. Cheers was the same way but I think just too a small degree.

Just release the final three seasons Paramount!!!
Old 08-22-07, 10:55 AM

I think Frasier is much better show - it has aged extremely well, production value was high, and the humour stands up and is much more high brow than Cheers. The demand for Frasier is clearly there, and I am thrilled that we now have a complete series.

I never got into Cheers, but was a Frasier fan from day 1. The shows are completely different and the only reason they're related is because of the character; the similarities stop there.

And as for Stacked - it is a really funny show that got the shaft from Fox, but at least they had the smarts to package it on DVD fairly quickly.
Old 08-22-07, 04:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
I think Frasier is much better show - it has aged extremely well, production value was high, and the humour stands up and is much more high brow than Cheers. The demand for Frasier is clearly there, and I am thrilled that we now have a complete series.

I never got into Cheers, but was a Frasier fan from day 1. The shows are completely different and the only reason they're related is because of the character; the similarities stop there.

And as for Stacked - it is a really funny show that got the shaft from Fox, but at least they had the smarts to package it on DVD fairly quickly.
Stacked doesn't compare to Cheers--- I've never seen it, but based on commercials and promotions I've seen for it, it doesn't seem to thrill me like the true CLASSICS like Cheers do. I love FRASIER too, but the humor is on two completely different levels. Cheers should get a fair shake though as did Frasier in terms of getting all the seasons released.
Old 08-22-07, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by cheersfan213
Stacked doesn't compare to Cheers--- I've never seen it
I rest my case.
Old 08-22-07, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

I rest my case.
I don't rest mine. I wouldn't waste my eyesight on something that comes across to me as just plain stupid through promotions that only appeal to a dumbed-down America solely obsessed with seeing Pam Anderson get some more screentime solely due to her sex appeal. I'm not biting.
Old 08-23-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Frasier has aged extremely well, but so has Cheers. Both are very funny & I’m extremely happy Frasier is getting all the seasons released on DVD but Cheers definitely deserves the same respect.

Sales are probably the reason why Cheers final three seasons are being held up. I would have thought that a legendary show like Cheers would sell extremely well, but I might be wrong.

As for Stacked, it’s funny? I thought it was an awful piece of sh*t. But that’s just my opinion.

It’s pretty sad when Ti’l Death & The War At Home already have/getting DVD releases before all the seasons of Cheers or just about any TV series are released on DVD. I know they aren’t own by the same studio but still, come on.
Old 08-23-07, 08:53 AM

In the end it is all about sales. I can't stand the show, but I sympathize with those who do. I've been waiting for many others that won't see the light of day - the rest of Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, Traders, Simon & Simon. And ones that will never be released - Head of the Class.

Last edited by The Eliminator; 08-23-07 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 09:55 AM

Hmmm...Fraiser better than Cheers? Not even close! I guess to each his own, but Cheers was a far better show with much more talent.

But you don't get all the way to season 8 and then stop with three seasons to go! I could see it after the first few....what Paramount has done is a crime pure and simple.
Old 08-23-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Add Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere to that list.
Old 08-23-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Each time this is bumped with no news a little of me dies inside.
Old 08-23-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flyboy
Hmmm...Fraiser better than Cheers? Not even close! I guess to each his own, but Cheers was a far better show with much more talent.

But you don't get all the way to season 8 and then stop with three seasons to go! I could see it after the first few....what Paramount has done is a crime pure and simple.
Fox did the same thing with King Of The Hill after 6 seasons. It's ridiculous. If you're going to go that far with releasing them, why not just release the rest of them?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.