Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

What's the Best Price for the new James Bond Boxsets?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread was inevitable so I thought I might as well kick it off.

This may turn out to be one of those 'your mileage may vary' answers as some of the brick & mortar stores are offering discounts if you buy both released boxsets.

This doesn't help those that don't want both boxsets. Understandable as boxset #2 appears (to these eyes) as being the worst of all four. Stuck in with Thunderball is A View to a Kill, Die Another Day, The Spy Who Love Me and Licensed to Kill. But to each is own.

BB has a 'buy two for $99' deal going

CC beats that with a 'buy two for 94.98 deal.'

Is there a better deal out there? Besides just blowing these off and waiting for the inevitable high-def releases around the corner?
Old 11-04-06, 11:37 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If DDD keeps their current price on those volumes and they have the sale that shall not be mentioned this month, the price should be $46.71 during that sale that shall not be mentioned.

And I agree with you about volume 2, although the one I like is different than you (TSWLM).
Old 11-04-06, 10:01 PM
Cool New Member

I saw in the Frys paper that they will be 52.99 each in LA. Not sure about other markets.
Old 11-05-06, 05:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm still hoping that I hold out for HD or later. I have all the old releases, and hopefully they will be enough for me.
Old 11-05-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll wait for Blue Ray or HD version
Old 11-06-06, 12:06 PM

Hopefully someone will ring in with the Costco price. Sometimes they can surprise you.
Old 11-06-06, 10:38 PM

I'd like to hear Costco's... and Walmart's prices for these sets too.

I'm very tempted to pick up both for $95 + tax (PM'd to CC). I haven't found reviews of all of them, but what I've read is generally positive. My main worry is that when V3 and V4 come out in December, there might be an even better deal if you buy all 4 together. I just noticed that the V3 and V4 December release date is the 12th which is more than 30 days past this week's deals, so I'd be stuck with them if I bought them anywhere but WMT.

Other than double RZ points, BBY is offering nothing special, so I'm tempted to PM these at WMT where the return period is 90 days. That would give me enough time to see what Dec. 12th and Christmas deals materialize. Hopefully WMT will carry these tomorrow.
Old 11-07-06, 05:07 AM

Manzana, keep in mind that Best Buy’s extended holiday return policy went into effect on November 1, which they’ve been running every year in recent memory. I have receipts with the terms.

Purchases made November 1 through December 24, 2006 qualify for an extended return policy (excludes computers and notebooks). Last day for 14 day products – Jan. 8, 2007. Last day for 30 day products – Jan. 24, 2007.
I’m in the same boat with you on the Bond sets. I’ve been debating whether to pick these up this week during the sale period or waiting for the next two volumes, in anticipation of a bigger package discount. I already have the Scene It? DVD, so that’s little incentive for me unless this happens to be an updated version (which I highly doubt). I might pick up the first two volumes this weekend and then wait to see if a better deal comes along.
Old 11-07-06, 06:34 AM

The 40-disc set of all 20 bond movies is sold in Europe for 200 UK pounds. You might try that if you are interested. Why such set is not available in US?
Here is one for 149 UK pounds
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayP...;-1&sku=513121

All 20 Movies: Dr No , From Russia With Love , Goldfinger , Thunderball , You Only Live Twice , On Her Majesty's Secret Service , Diamonds Are Forever , Live And Let Die , Man With The Golden Gun , Spy Who Loved Me , Moonraker , For Your Eyes Only , Octopussy , View To A Kill , The Living Daylights , Licence To Kill , Goldeneye , Tomorrow Never Dies , World Is Not Enough , Die Another Day.

Last edited by bohemian1; 11-07-06 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gore
Manzana, keep in mind that Best Buy’s extended holiday return policy went into effect on November 1, which they’ve been running every year in recent memory. I have receipts with the terms.

I’m in the same boat with you on the Bond sets. I’ve been debating whether to pick these up this week during the sale period or waiting for the next two volumes, in anticipation of a bigger package discount. I already have the Scene It? DVD, so that’s little incentive for me unless this happens to be an updated version (which I highly doubt). I might pick up the first two volumes this weekend and then wait to see if a better deal comes along.
Thanks for pointing this out. I completely forgot that the extended return period started... knowing this I will probably get them at BBY instead of WMT and not open them until after the 2nd wave comes out.

Does anyone know when BBY's early hours start? I assume they open today at the usual 10 AM instead of 9 AM?

Last edited by Manzana; 11-07-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-07-06, 01:20 PM

Costco (Sacramento, Ca) has the Bond sets for $53.99 each.
Old 11-07-06, 01:55 PM

I pricematched Circuit City's deal at BB, and used a $10 RZ certificate for a total of 91 bucks and change. Not too shabby, I think.
Old 11-07-06, 02:10 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DDD's price dropped to $54.89 for volumes 1 & 2.
Old 11-07-06, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Thanks for pointing this out. I completely forgot that the extended return period started... knowing this I will probably get them at BBY instead of WMT and not open them until after the 2nd wave comes out.

Does anyone know when BBY's early hours start? I assume they open today at the usual 10 AM instead of 9 AM?
Yes, Thanks Mr. Gore. Good Point.

I'm thinking about just going to Costco and getting the first set and see if there is some buy 3 price down the road.

Another option would be as discussed, take advantage of pricematching CC price at Best Buy. And just not open one of the sets and wait as well.

That way at least you have one of the sets for 47.50 prior to tax and maybe a chance to return the other box for even a better deal ...
Old 11-07-06, 04:43 PM

my SAMS club has them marked at 44.99 i believe. b
Old 11-07-06, 04:56 PM

Why would you need to leave the sets sealed? If you buy them again in the future for a cheaper price, just return that new, sealed one you buy on your old receipt. In theory it should be the identical item and UPC as the first one you bought, unless of course it was some retailer exclusive variation that happened to have a different UPC. I suppose if it's Best Buy's you should check to make sure their version with the bonus Scene It DVD doesn't have a different UPC from the standard version.
Old 11-07-06, 05:13 PM

Also keep in mind that Best Buy is apparently offering double Reward Zone points on all DVDs, CDs, and games through Christmas. That means the Bond sets price-matched with Circuit City should earn you about 190 points, or $3.80 in eventual reward certificate value. Of course that deal will still be on next month if you wait and find a better price then.

I got my Bond sets price-matched at Best Buy today with no problem. The cashier said I wasn't the first one to get that price match today, although she had a hard time price-matching it as the 2-pack bundled purchase for $94.98, so eventually gave up and price-matched each individually to $47.49. Now can you imagine the chaos if next month I brought those back in with my receipt and tried to price match a 4-pack deal from Circuit City while trying to get a partial price guarantee refund on the two I already bought? Well I'd like to do it that way but it probably wouldn't be possible and I'd have to go through the 2-step process of returning these 2 and buying them back.

I'm not really expecting a special sale on a buy-all-4 option, maybe something more like buy any 2 volumes and get a discount. Getting further discounts for a 3rd and 4th wouldn't really be in the style of any sales I've seen these stores do before. But I'm sort of surprised no store would have an exclusive boxed set of all 4-packs, maybe with a bonus disc. I doubt it would be priced cheaper than buying the 4 separately during debut week though.
Old 11-07-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
my SAMS club has them marked at 44.99 i believe. b
i might have to swing by there this weekend. And i'll check the gamestops first just in case someone traded them in already
Old 11-07-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can get it for $43.XX each after DDD 20% off sale (Coming very soon)
Old 11-07-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or just pay $47 each at Circuit City and get them NOW. You don't have to wait 2 weeks for DDD shipping either. And there's a good chance they will raise the price on those sets just before that sale hits.
Old 11-07-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
You can get it for $43.XX each after DDD 20% off sale (Coming very soon)
not necessarily. DDD.com is PM'ing Circuit City's price.

It will go back up to regular price after this week (assuming that the sale doesn't start at the end of this week).
Old 11-07-06, 11:31 PM

JediJones, you made some good points, and I had considered a lot of the things you said. I got mine at BBY PM'd to CC, and I now have until Jan. 24th to change my mind.

It is wishful thinking to hope for better than $47.49 each on the 2 future sets, but I don't see why someone doesn't offer a megaset with all 4 volumes for a bit less. I'll keep my eye out and have to make my decision in January, but for now I have both in my posession with double RZ points. (I guess all RZ points will have to remain pending from now until Jan. 25th.)

If a better deal comes by, I wouldn't waste my time doing partial refunds and PMs... it's much easier to do the return/rebuy 2-step process than to explain the whole story to a manager/supervisor. If DDD's 20% off sale has these at least $5 cheaper than what I paid, then I might go that route to save a little. My philosophy: a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. That is, I don't know what DDD's price will be when the 20% off sale hits.

You asked about why not open the sets now and return the new ones if you find a better deal later, and then you answered your own question... because the UPCs often do change. Many times I've found the same product with different UPC stickers on the outside or sometimes under the shrinkwrap at different stores. Sometimes it's because of a bonus DVD, but I've seen some UPC stickers placed over the old ones at WMT for no reason I could figure out.

Case in point: the BBY Bond sets have a different UPC sticker on the back. Anyone considering opening them now would need to save the stickers in case a better deal showed up. Hopefully the price guarantee will also last until Jan. 24th, but if the better price is at Costco or Sam's a PM won't work.

Has anyone confirmed the Sam's Club price of $44.xx?
Old 11-07-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
$46.71 during that sale that shall not be mentioned.

?? A Lord Voldemort sale ??
Old 11-08-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

20% off sale DDD
Old 11-08-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Possible it'll coming BlueRay box set ??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.