Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

COD 3 for the Wii: Sounds pretty sweet!

Old 11-02-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
COD 3 for the Wii: Sounds pretty sweet!

From here

Call of Duty 3

31-Oct-2006 Hands-on: CVG gets the first play of the Wii version outside of Activision

With Red Steel and Far Cry from Ubisoft joining CoD3 for Wii's launch, it's going to be a battle for the FPS throne come December 8. But with the controls being the most prominent factor of Wii, it's down to how developers have used the Remote that will be most crucial. We're pleased to say CoD3 does an excellent job.

The basic control layout is the same as Red Steel's; you control forwards, backwards and strafing with the Nunchuk analogue stick, and use the Wii Remote like a pointer to control the on-screen crosshair and look view.

But even though the principles of the control system are the same as Red Steel, CoD3 feels immediately more responsive and easier to control. Red Steel has a large neutral zone in the centre of the screen which gives your on-screen arm a disembodied feel as you're forced to swing your aim right out to the extreme edge of the screen to make camera adjustments.

In contrast, CoD3's neutral zone is tiny. This means that moving your crosshair even slightly off centre incites an immediate reaction from the camera. The speed at which the camera turns is also more gradual, starting off slow and building up speed the further away from the centre of the screen you aim. This made it far easier to control than Red Steel, having no problems reacting and shooting enemies that appeared above or behind us.

CoD3 also uses the tilt function in the Wii Remote in some interesting ways. As you take cover behind scenery, you can lean your head out by twisting the Remote in the direction you want to look. You can perform a melee attack by shoving the controller forwards, and you change ammo by flicking the Nunchuk. It all works brilliantly which is fortunate because, as you'd expect from a CoD game, the action is brutal.

As dozens of soldiers run around, firing bullets in all directions, planes fly around overhead, swooping low and dropping bombs that rock the ground with huge explosions, which look absolutely awesome. The smoke and dust effects look great in motion, and truly play a factor in gameplay because you have to wait for the dust to clear before you battle on.

Just to make things even more hectic, CoD3 will give you the choice of multiple routes through levels. You've heard that before though, right? This is different; instead of simply giving you a change of scenery, each of the routes will give you a different role to play, but they're always connected with each other to achieve the main goal.

One level saw us storming a large building full of zie enemy. The commander ordered the group to split into three units and advance separately - the first unit to go through the top floor of an adjacent building to provide support for unit 2, who will advance on ground level. And the third unit would go through an underground passage to emerge from a trapdoor for an ambush.

You simply head down whichever route you prefer, and your AI comrades will automatically splinter off down the other routes. So you can be the sniper, covering AI advancers, or run straight in with support from AI snipers. Your choice.

CoD3 also packs the new hand-to-hand fights which have you wrestling to overpower enemy soldiers. It's tense stuff - we walked unsuspectingly into a building only to be suddenly charged at, have our gun grabbed and yanked from our virtual hands.

On other consoles, you tackle these bits by rapidly tapping the L and R shoulder buttons, but on Wii you have to perform a series of bigger, more aggressive motions.

On-screen prompts show you how to move the controllers. First we had to wrestle our gun free by repeatedly punching forward with both hands. Then we had to flick both hands diagonally down and right to make our man pull the pin out of a grenade on our opponent's belt, who then falls back over a wall and explodes.

Your movements in these sections don't directly control your soldier's arms - the Wii Remote wouldn't be able to push your hands back to simulate the opposing force of your foe - but the large, aggressive movements it has you perform better simulate the tension than tapping shoulder buttons.

CoD3 played fantastically on Wii. It looked great and ran at a solid 60 frames per second without a hitch. With the same level layouts as the Xbox 360 version, you've got an interesting choice to make.

Do you play the Wii version with its enhanced control system that delivers a more visceral experience, or do you go for the Xbox 360 version which will cost about £10 more and use conventional controls, albeit looking better in HD?

Look for the review soon.

Mike Jackson
That might be my second game purchase on launch day. I didn't get a 360 last year and kind of missed out on COD2, so if it's really this cool to play I think I'd be happy picking up number 3 for the Wii.
Old 11-02-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, the controls sound awesome.
Old 11-02-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think I might have another launch title to pick it up, and I really don't play many FPSes other than Halo. All I need now is some games that my girlfriend will enjoy playing with me, and I'll be set. Damn you Warioware for being pushed back!!!
Old 11-03-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
wow. i havent really read much about the Wii but the controls sounds sweet. I never really liked FPS on the gamecube or xbox because the aiming was usually the right thumb analong stick, which i wasnt good at using. But this set up sounds pretty cool.
Old 11-03-06, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, wow.

The sad thing, is that my 360 has collected dust for the past month, just in preparation for the Wii.

I heart Wii already, and I haven't even played it yet.
Old 11-03-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Wow, wow.

The sad thing, is that my 360 has collected dust for the past month, just in preparation for the Wii.

I heart Wii already, and I haven't even played it yet.
Well, you can enjoy the Gamecube 1.5 4x3 composite, Dolby Pro Logic COD3, I'll happily settle for 1080p, DD5.1 Next Gen COD3.

I realize the Wii version has some innovations but lets not start to compare it to the Xbox360 or PS3 version. Apples and Oranges.

Old 11-03-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Well, you can enjoy the Gamecube 1.5 4x3 composite, Dolby Pro Logic COD3, I'll happily settle for 1080p, DD5.1 Next Gen COD3.

I realize the Wii version has some innovations but lets not start to compare it to the Xbox360 or PS3 version. Apples and Oranges.

The article was about the Wii version, not the Gamecube. Additionally, the Wii is part of the next generation and supports 16x9, not 4x3. Perhaps you should read up a little more about the system before discussing it. To some, your honest mistakes might sound like an intentional effort to shit on a console, which tends to be frowned upon here. Of course, if the mistakes had been intentional, it would have been more than a little hypocritical to declare that apples were superior in one sentence and then, in the next, to tell those who prefer oranges that they're not allowed to make comparisons.
Old 11-03-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wii > xbox

I also like oranges more than apples so there.
Old 11-03-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Even though you're winking, I think "Gamecube 1.5" is pretty borderline. And why would he have to limit himself to 4x3 composite? The wii can do 480p widescreen over component.
Old 11-03-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm picking up the 360 version next week, mainly for the multiplayer modes. I had been planning to get Red Steel at Wii launch, but I might swap that out for CoD 3 depending on which gets better reviews. I don't need two FPS games at launch, and although it might seem silly to own the same game on two platforms, I think there will be a big difference between the 360 Live-centric version with traditional controls and the Wii's offline, wacky control version.
Old 11-03-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Other than the innovative control scheme, the Wii version is most certainly a downgrade. I'll gladly take the Xbox version w/ Live any day of the week.
Old 11-03-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question, for Wii games that use controls like this.. Are you able to go to standard control say if you just want to veg out on the couch and not do all the flicking, moving, etc?
Old 11-03-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

No. You must look like a tard in every game that you play on the Wii.
Old 11-03-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good thing I'm not getting it..

I'll just continue looking like a tard w/ my headset on playing my 360.
Old 11-03-06, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
No. You must look like a tard in every game that you play on the Wii.
Wow.
Have a large mirror by your TV do you?
Old 11-03-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Actually, yes.

I am only joking, though. I am going to get a Wii and don't care if I look like an idiot. My fiancee will probably laugh, but that's ok.
Old 11-03-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm.. I see people are under the impression that you have to swing the controller around wildly in large exaggerated motions while exerting tons of energy doing so. Having actually played it.. that's not really the case (unless that game makes it the case ala Wario Ware). With my experience on Zelda using the bow and arrow and boomerang (which would be similar to aiming on an FPS), it's very similar to using a mouse.. and I can't seem to remember people complain about using a mouse when they wanted to "veg out" or were concerned with how they looked using one.
Old 11-03-06, 02:02 PM

Mice are the sole reason I refuse to game on a PC today.
Old 11-03-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for clarifying pixy.. I haven't been following the Wii too closely and I was under the impression of how you explained it. Good to know and hopefully down the line the wife will approve another console purchase!
Old 11-04-06, 12:48 AM

Wow, please tell me where I can buy this super special 1080p version of the game.
Old 11-04-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Really, I think they give you much more control than a controller.
Old 11-04-06, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by rayw69
Wow, please tell me where I can buy this super special 1080p version of the game.
Yeah that question begs answering. Especially when you consider the PS3's flagship launch title isn't even gonna do 1080p.
Old 11-04-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I had given up on FPS games until I upgraded my PC and started playing them with a keyboard and mouse. A totally different experience. I would never even consider playing Half Life 2 or FEAR with a controller.
The Wii may get me playing these again on a console and COD3 sounds pretty good. Lack of online play doesn't bother me since I never play online anyway.
Old 11-04-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Yeah that question begs answering. Especially when you consider the PS3's flagship launch title isn't even gonna do 1080p.
The team working on the game mentioned how much would have to be sacrificed to actually run the game at 1080p. Turns out the mighty PS3 is no more mighty than the Xbox360. There will be 1080p games, but I would expect the bulk of games to still be 720p.

1080p is probably the most overhyped thing in the past few years. It is hardly the big difference visually over 1080i or 720p that companies like Sony try to hype it to be.
Old 11-04-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've been raving about stuff like virtua tennis 3 running on 1080p, but that one hardly looks better than an xbox 1 game anyway. Give me better textures, lighting, effects etc. anyday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.