DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Comics Thread for November

exharrison
11-01-06, 11:00 AM
New month starts on a new comic day. I'll be going to the comic store and getting my DCBS package today. Its a good day for comics.

bishop2knight
11-01-06, 11:26 AM
Yes, another great day for comics.

Last night I spent 5 hours proofing lettered pages from POSTCARDS. I can't wait for all of you to see this book. It's so fun to be a part of the creative process. Yeeee haw!

Anyone think we should have themes for these threads? Seems like we miss out on conversations, or they get derailed when another comes up...

Chew
11-01-06, 01:20 PM
I think the suggestion was made in another thread (one that may of gotten locked) that perhaps Comic Book Talk could be made into a subforum of Book Talk.

Frankly, I think it's a good idea. Trying to lump everything into one or two threads a month does derail certain discussions. If we had an subforum we could have entire threads on just a single issue.

We would need everybody to chime in at the Feedback forum to voice support if we think it's a good idea, though.

exharrison
11-01-06, 01:29 PM
If we had a sub forum then we could keep this thread to talking about the current comics out and have the other topics separated out.

PalmerJoss
11-01-06, 03:09 PM
I agree, it might be a little easier to find the comic related topics if we had a subforum in which to post. Is there a thread in the feedback forum yet?

bishop2knight
11-01-06, 03:17 PM
I don't know about a subforum. I mean, we can have 100 threads in less than two days. And these conversations will peter out in no time, too. But if it helps contain and continue discussion, then I'm for it. I guess.

exharrison
11-01-06, 04:17 PM
It seems to me that it would probably be a lower traffic one much like horror talk.

lukewarmwater
11-01-06, 08:19 PM
Yeah that's actually a pretty good idea. and I just bought the new printing of From Hell. WOO!

bishop2knight
11-01-06, 08:24 PM
Umm, where's this thread about the subforum that your talking about?

Chew
11-01-06, 08:51 PM
Umm, where's this thread about the subforum that your talking about?

I don't really know what the origins of the thread were to begin with, it almost sounds like it was split off from something else. I'm referring to the last post:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482061

Rogue588
11-01-06, 09:00 PM
If it's a "no holds barred" comic book forum, i'm there.

bishop2knight
11-01-06, 09:14 PM
Who wants to be our chairman? Someone with a flair for the dramatic but someone with elequence should start the thread in the feedback forum so we can all make a formal request.

blakader
11-01-06, 09:26 PM
anyone reading the anita blake vampire hunter comics, any opinions?

Superboy
11-02-06, 01:38 AM
Who wants to be our chairman? Someone with a flair for the dramatic but someone with elequence should start the thread in the feedback forum so we can all make a formal request.

You got it.

Chew
11-02-06, 07:58 AM
Edit: The thread has been opened.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482477

All comic fans that frequent these monthly threads please post your support for this idea as soon as possible. The more requests we get over the next couple days the more likely it will be to happen.

Thanks.

Chew
11-02-06, 01:24 PM
BTW, thanks to Superboy for starting that thread for us. :up:

Sessa17
11-02-06, 05:23 PM
Anything promoting comic books I'm all for.

Anyone else notice that we even have major comic book artist posting on these boards. I see Ethan Van Sciver posting in the DVD forum pretty often. Hopefully he'll see this & post his support.

Rogue588
11-02-06, 05:46 PM
Anyone else notice that we even have major (and highly talented) comic book artist posting on these boards. I see Ethan Van Sciver posting in the DVD forum pretty often. Hopefully he'll see this & post his support.Fixed.

MBoyd
11-02-06, 06:01 PM
We have a DVD forum? :scratch2:

Chew
11-03-06, 08:10 AM
Does Ethan Van Sciver just use his name for his user name? I guess the DVD forum is one I don't get to much anymore. Funny, since that's the one that brought me here in the first place. :lol:

exharrison
11-03-06, 09:23 AM
My DCBS package was delivered to my neighbor and a day behind the "estimate". I guess DHL, much like UPS still has a note telling them to deliver all the packages for my address up the road. You would think that after a year and a half, such notes would expire. At least I got my stuff so I could spend last night going through previews.

Gamblor187
11-03-06, 10:24 AM
So? Superman Confidential came out this week. We have a lot of Darwyn Cooke fans here, so I know I'm not the only one who picked it up. What's the verdict? I won't get a chance to read it until tomorrow.

Giantrobo
11-03-06, 01:44 PM
So? Superman Confidential came out this week. We have a lot of Darwyn Cooke fans here, so I know I'm not the only one who picked it up. What's the verdict? I won't get a chance to read it until tomorrow.

I tried to get it this week but my store screwed up their weekly e-mail and I didn't read the corrected 2nd email. So how is it?

MovieExchange
11-03-06, 02:06 PM
I looked at the Superman Confidential, but the art really turned me off.

This week was a lot of "used to pick it up but got tired of it" issues. Star Wars Legacy joined my list of dropped books this month as well. Very disappointing work from Ostrander so far.

Justice League looks to be coming together, although I'm still not thrilled with the new team.

What If might have been better if I had been more familiar with the Avengers Disassembled storyline (I got back into comics just after that), but I'm a mark for What If books, so I bought it anyway.

52 reached the half-way point, but how many people are still buying it? One or two people in this forum?

Superboy
11-03-06, 02:43 PM
Justice League is just OK right now. The art has gotten a lot better which is a plus.

Superman Confidential was a little too serious for me.

Chew
11-03-06, 02:56 PM
52 reached the half-way point, but how many people are still buying it? One or two people in this forum?

If anybody is still reading it, keep us updated if something important happens. :)

Sessa17
11-03-06, 05:16 PM
Does Ethan Van Sciver just use his name for his user name? I guess the DVD forum is one I don't get to much anymore. Funny, since that's the one that brought me here in the first place. :lol:

Yeah, I assume it is him, I doubt someone else would have "Ethan Van Sciver" as a forum name. But the last time I noticed him posting, he started his own thread, & all wannabe mods here kind of flamed him for starting the thread wrong. I haven't seen him post since.

bishop2knight
11-03-06, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I assume it is him, I doubt someone else would have "Ethan Van Sciver" as a forum name. But the last time I noticed him posting, he started his own thread, & all wannabe mods here kind of flamed him for starting the thread wrong. I haven't seen him post since.
Ah, the DVDtalk elite. I love those guys.

Giantrobo
11-04-06, 02:31 PM
Wow, Black Mask from the Batman comic book is going to be on the "The Batman" cartoon. I don't know why that shocks me but it does.

Trevor
11-05-06, 05:43 PM
FYI, the google/buy deal ($10 off every $30 order) was extended until 11/06.

Patman
11-06-06, 12:26 AM
52 #26 - it's the half-way point through the run, and I'm still ambivalent to this concept because these secondary characters aren't very interesting, but I can't quite quit the year-long series. Now, Osirus getting to name a mutated crocodile isn't your average storyline.

Superman Confidential 1 - not a bad start in a story arc featuring Superman's impending first encounter with kryptonite a week after he makes a huge splash saving a plane full of passengers for his first document super-feat. (Obviously no ties to Superboy or Smallville in this title).

Justice League of America 3 - The writing's a little wordy, a little confusing with all these tornadoes spinning around, but I'm still going to hang with it for now. Plus the sniping between the big 3 and their own membership status is sort of funny.

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes - this was actually a promising start to getting to the bottom of the very presence of Supergirl in the 31st century.

The Authority 1 - that was a brisk read, maybe too brisk for such an anticipated title relaunch for me (with Morrison and Ha on board).

I still have 3 other issues to read: She-Hulk, Agents of Atlas, and Mystery in Space.

I did make use of the $10 Google checkout deal at buy.com and ordered Absolute New Frontiers.

PalmerJoss
11-06-06, 08:23 AM
This past week I liked JLA #3, a lot more than I did the second issue. My problem, though, is that STILL we have Supes, Bats, and Diana all sitting around a table choosing the team. I enjoyed the fight at the beginning of the issue, though - Brad Meltzer seems to know how to write awesome fight sequences(see Identity Crisis also). I've said it before - this is JLA, and we should be seeing the Justice League fighting baddies.

Hulk #100 was decent, if not a total retread of the last couple issues. Hulk fights, Hulk wins, Hulk and his crew move on to another location. The prophecy of the Sakaarson is discussed. Rinse, repeat. The best part was the side story that was drawn by Gary Frank involving Reed Richards discovering that Hulk isn't on the planet that he and the Illuminati sent him to. Methinks big things are in the works...

Ex Machina #24 was yet another amazing issue from BKV, who is definitely my fav writer working today. The ending was worth the price of admission alone.

Bronkster
11-07-06, 02:23 PM
Hulk #100 was decent, if not a total retread of the last couple issues. Hulk fights, Hulk wins, Hulk and his crew move on to another location. The prophecy of the Sakaarson is discussed. Rinse, repeat. The best part was the side story that was drawn by Gary Frank involving Reed Richards discovering that Hulk isn't on the planet that he and the Illuminati sent him to. Methinks big things are in the works...
I'm hopin'! Your review reflected my feelings - I was pretty sure the 100th issue would return Hulk to Earth, and I'm kinda glad it didn't happen, but the story is getting too repetitious. If things don't improve soon, Bronkster smash!

UncleGramps
11-07-06, 02:52 PM
Ex Machina #24 was yet another amazing issue from BKV, who is definitely my fav writer working today. The ending was worth the price of admission alone.

Do you know when the 4th TPB is coming out? I picked up the first 3 a few months back but I've been out of the loop since then.

Chew
11-07-06, 02:56 PM
Do you know when the 4th TPB is coming out? I picked up the first 3 a few months back but I've been out of the loop since then.

Here you go: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=6145

11/29/06 :)

I was a little late to the series, but love everything about it (writing, plot, art)

Sessa17
11-07-06, 05:18 PM
I know this is pretty much an all spandex Marvel/DC crowd, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, take my word for it, & pick up The Damned tomorrow. Issue #2 comes out, so make sure your LCS orderes it if he hasn't done so already. #1 is still available for reorder, so your local fat comic book clerk is lying to you if he says he can't get it.

Like Wasteland (another vastly underrated comic) this is a brilliant new series from the always amazing Oni Press. It's basically an old fashioned 50's gangsta comic/noir series crossed with Kolchak. Awesome stuff with amazing art by Brian Hurt.

http://www.thedamnedcomic.com/smallerDamn1.jpg

ytrez
11-07-06, 05:58 PM

I'm still ordering it, though I haven' read a single issue yet. Half way there, might as well finish.

JasonF
11-07-06, 07:45 PM
I'm still ordering it, though I haven' read a single issue yet. Half way there, might as well finish.

What are you paying for it. $2.50 per issue? Do yourself a favor and read the first couple of issues. If you like it, more power to you. If not, cut your losses and spend the money on an Absolute Edition or something.

PalmerJoss
11-07-06, 08:14 PM

I would read at least the first 5 issues, and if you don't like it then definitely stop buying it because it hasn't gotten any better. Seems like a huge waste of money for something that you don't even know if you're going to like.

MovieExchange
11-07-06, 11:32 PM

I have to agree with the other responses... read what you have so far, at least the first 10 issues (the beginning was good, but then it went downhill). See if you like it, or if you have faith that the writing will return to what it was in those first 5 or so issues.

Giantrobo
11-08-06, 12:37 AM
I'll say it again, the problem with "52" is that although it's supposed to be giving readers "all the answers" to what has happened to characters during the past year, it instead spends most of its time just shitting out more situations that keep you in the dark thus stringing the reader along.

I mean come the hell on, we should be reading this every week and saying "Ooooh, that's why that happened or Ooooh, that's where that came from!". Instead it's, "Huh? Ok, I guess I'll have to wait til next week to find out what that's all about. Assuming of course next week's issue will even have this part of the story in it".

I mean why don't we know why Hawkgirl was 25 ft tall? Why don't we know what happend to Alan "JSA Green Lantern" Scott's eyes and why does he have someone else's eye? I mean we know it had to do with some accident while returing to Earth, but that's it. But by now we should have TONS of answers.

And now I see that the number "52" is turing into some weirdness that's on it's way to the DCU. WTF????

Linn1
11-08-06, 07:08 AM
And now I see that the number "52" is turing into some weirdness that's on it's way to the DCU. WTF????

is sitting up the return of Earth-2 and the use of magic in the DC universe. I've liked it so far, largely because it's the anti-big event book. Also the stuff with Skeets turning badass is just...interesting.

Chew
11-08-06, 07:59 AM
I think at this point the only other issue of 52 I plan on getting is....#52.

MovieExchange
11-08-06, 08:30 AM
They should also be having new things spring up in the various DC titles that jumped ahead one year, and then say "if you want an explanation, check out this week's issue of 52." It'd draw some complaints, but it would help tie the series into the DCU better. Right now, as I've said before, we're not seeing any of the 52 characters in the other DCU books, so it feels like we're reading a different line of comics.

ytrez
11-08-06, 09:33 AM
What are you paying for it. $2.50 per issue? Do yourself a favor and read the first couple of issues. If you like it, more power to you. If not, cut your losses and spend the money on an Absolute Edition or something.

I'm paying around $1.60 an issue, though the first 4 were .75 cents I think. I'm not worried about the cost and at the very least it'll give me somehting to read at breakfast for 52 days.

bishop2knight
11-08-06, 10:48 AM
They should also be having new things spring up in the various DC titles that jumped ahead one year, and then say "if you want an explanation, check out this week's issue of 52." It'd draw some complaints, but it would help tie the series into the DCU better. Right now, as I've said before, we're not seeing any of the 52 characters in the other DCU books, so it feels like we're reading a different line of comics. That's because they're all dead at the end of 52.

Oops, should I have used spoiler tags? :D

bishop2knight
11-08-06, 10:48 AM
Anyone read SUPERMARKET? I have that on my reading list for the weekend.

exharrison
11-08-06, 11:01 AM
^Never heard of it. Time to do a little searching. Blurb sounds interesting enough. I'll have to look for it at the LCS when I go there next week.

Giantrobo
11-08-06, 11:22 AM
is sitting up the return of Earth-2 and the use of magic in the DC universe.

Really?

I've liked it so far, largely because it's the anti-big event book. Also the stuff with Skeets turning badass is just...interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I like "52" more than the rest of the folks 'round here but I still think it could be better. I would love if it was a longer book each week.

Rocketdog2000
11-08-06, 11:59 AM
52 #26 - it's the half-way point through the run, and I'm still ambivalent to this concept because these secondary characters aren't very interesting, but I can't quite quit the year-long series. Now, Osirus getting to name a mutated crocodile isn't your average storyline.

While I agree with some of the points others are making here, mainly that we should be finding out a bit more information wise, I'm still enjoying this book. It's usually one of the first comics I read every week.

For a good anaolgy I'd say reading this book is a lot like watching the TV show LOST - lot's of questions, with not too many answers being given without raising even more questions. You just kind of want them to start getting to the meat of it all.

The Authority 1 - that was a brisk read, maybe too brisk for such an anticipated title relaunch for me (with Morrison and Ha on board).

Brisk read, but also looks to be a slow set up, too, as the title characters didn't even appear in the book at all. Wonder how long that will continue for?

UncleGramps
11-08-06, 01:43 PM
Here you go: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=6145

11/29/06 :)

I was a little late to the series, but love everything about it (writing, plot, art)
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I blew through the first three books incredibly fast and loved them. I've forgotten the details by now so I'll have to re-read them before book 4 comes out.

Liquid Death
11-08-06, 06:25 PM
Sessa - the preview art for Damned 1 looked interesting, and I'm a fan of Brian Hurt, though I must've missed the first issue. Anyway, I emailed my LCS and asked for them to (re)order both for me :)

PalmerJoss
11-08-06, 11:21 PM
This week I picked up:

Y: The Last Man #51 - I don't think I even need to say that this is another amazing issue. We're getting very close to the end and it shows - we're getting answers to questions that were raised from the first couple issues. I want to know the answers, dammit, but at the same time I don't want the series to end. How BKV manages to turn out such high quality work week after week is just beyond me. The man is amazing.

Also this week was Batman #658. Some nice action with Damien and Batman, and some great dialogue from Morrison. The artwork didn't look as great as it did in the first couple issues of this arc, almost rushed in a way. I can see why Grant and Andy are taking a hiatus for 2 issues. I don't plan to pick up the issues with the fill-in writer/artist team, but I will still read it when Grant resumes his run.

The last book this week was Eternals #5, but I have yet to read it. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow and I'll post my thoughts then.

bishop2knight
11-10-06, 01:59 PM
Who picked up Absolute New Frontier? I heard it's beautiful. But I'm still wondering if a new DC fan will understand every subtle thing about this story.

boredsilly
11-10-06, 03:06 PM
Who picked up Absolute New Frontier? I heard it's beautiful. But I'm still wondering if a new DC fan will understand every subtle thing about this story.

My copy is in the mail. My knowledge of DC history is very shallow. I pretty much fell in love with the universe through Bruce Timm's cartoons and the Batman and Superman movies, so I had no knowledge of a lot of the secondary characters like the Blackhawks and Suicide Squad, and it takes away nothing in my view. The story stands alone great.

bishop2knight
11-10-06, 03:58 PM
My copy is in the mail. My knowledge of DC history is very shallow. I pretty much fell in love with the universe through Bruce Timm's cartoons and the Batman and Superman movies, so I had no knowledge of a lot of the secondary characters like the Blackhawks and Suicide Squad, and it takes away nothing in my view. The story stands alone great.

That's not the answer I'm looking for. I mean, you guys talked me into Absolute Sandman, so I was hoping more for a, "No, this story sucks" kinda response. :)

Instocktrades.com has the book for $53 shipped if anyone's interested.

bishop2knight
11-10-06, 06:36 PM
Just finished SUPERMARKET. On the one hand, it's totally bloody brilliant. The art is fantastic and fits the story almost perfectly, and the story itself is fast paced and well told. On the other hand, however, key plot points are never even shown, they're just mentioned when you need to know about them. That seemed like a cheap writing gimmick.

Worth the read, for sure. But probably not worth cover price.

Patman
11-10-06, 08:24 PM
I just got my copy of New Frontiers, but haven't read it yet.

Patman
11-12-06, 07:20 PM
Stormwatch PHD 1 - not a bad re-introduction to Stormwatch, albeit with a smaller budget and lesser superpowered members.

Doctor Strange The Oath 2 - I'm enjoying BKV's dialogue in this miniseries between the characters as they hunt to find, basically, the cure for cancer.

Y The Last Man 51 - another nice installment as we get closer to finding out why almost all of the men on earth died 4 years ago. 355 and Toyota's fight on the rooftops was also good.

Gen13 2 - this reimagining of the core Gen13 crew still takes a little getting used to by me (as they make their break-out attempt), but it's still on the "buy" list.

52 Week 27 - Ralph and Spectre can't quite strike the right bargain, so Ralph has to go elsewhere. Montoya learns that Charlie's health is questionable.

Superman 657 - This was a trippy look into the next too distant possible future courtesy of Arion, can't wait for the next issue.

Batman 658 - finally Morrison's first arc concludes, and Talia's son is going to be a handful when he grows up because he has no compunction on inflicting pain and suffering and death. It was a good opening arc.

bishop2knight
11-13-06, 09:50 AM
I'm 8 chapters into THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN. It's bloody fantastic, but I'm not sure why. The art isn't my cup of tea, and to be honest, there's not really a whole hell of a lot going on in the story. But for whatever reason, it's working just fine. I'm sure it'll even get better. Yep, I'm hooked.

MovieExchange
11-13-06, 10:27 AM
I'm 8 chapters into THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN. It's bloody fantastic, but I'm not sure why. The art isn't my cup of tea, and to be honest, there's not really a whole hell of a lot going on in the story. But for whatever reason, it's working just fine. I'm sure it'll even get better. Yep, I'm hooked.

The art was never big with me either, but it also never got to the point where it distracted from the story.

The "I am..." battle between Dream and Chronazon for the helm is what helped me pull many a reader into the series.

I know what you mean about not a lot going on in the story. The care that Gaiman gives to what he's writing more than makes up for it though. Your next arc begins the fun, with "The Dream House." Morpheus starts tracking down creatures that escaped during his imprisonment. Events in this story arc will shape the rest of the series, as almost all future story arcs have their basis here.

After that you'll have 4 short stories -

Calliope - one of the muses, former lover of Morpheus, imprisoned by a mortal. Despite being a one-off story with very little involvement from Morpheus, it slyly sets up the beginning of one of the biggest events in the comic.

Dream of 1000 Cats - a cat spreads the word that once the world was ruled by cats, and can so again.

Facade - Element Girl, the female version of Metamorpho, hasn't taken to her life as well as Rex Mason has, and wishes for death.

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Many call this the best single issue ever in the series. Issue 13, a stand-alone story during the Doll's House series, sets this up as in a brief exchange where Morpheus meets a young man that everyone has written off as a playwrite. In exchange for the gift of writing, Dream requires a set number of plays authored for him. This is the first one, as William Shakespere presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream" for his patron, and finds that his audience is the faerie his actors are portraying on stage. The moments where the two crowds meet during intermission is priceless.

That's the story that won the World Fantasy Award for short fiction in 1991, and the rules were then changed so that a "funnybook" could not win the award again.

After that you have The Season of Mists. Oh my, what fun you'll have there. Lucifer was humiliated when Morpheus came to his realm and bested Chronazon, and this is his revenge. Of particular note is the speech from Lucifer about how people saying "the Devil made me do it" are full of shit.

PalmerJoss
11-13-06, 01:13 PM
I've heard a lot of buzz about Nextwave...does anyone here read it? I'm going to have a couple extra bucks for comics this week and was thinking about picking up the first trade.

bishop2knight
11-13-06, 06:34 PM
The "I am..." battle between Dream and Chronazon for the helm is what helped me pull many a reader into the series.

I know what you mean about not a lot going on in the story. The care that Gaiman gives to what he's writing more than makes up for it though.

You nailed it. I think you can totally tell that Gaiman writes with care. He's doing everything right. Slow, sure, but every panel is necessary. I'm assuming that once Death shows up, the story will pick up even more. I'm ready to dive into the story again tonight.

Oh, and I loved the "I am..." battle. Very interesting way to battle.

Patman
11-14-06, 01:03 AM
The $10 off $30 order via Google/Buy.com is making a dent in my credit card as I pick up some hardcovers (Daredevil 4 and 5, Ultimate X-Men 5 and 6), but at an average of $13 each, I couldn't resist.

bishop2knight
11-14-06, 08:23 AM
What is this google/buy.com thing?

bishop2knight
11-14-06, 02:55 PM
Uh oh. Absolute Long Halloween and Daredevil Omnibus. Same order form. Could be an expensive month. Too bad they ship in separate months. That just means we're paying extra in shipping if you use DCBS.

Patman
11-14-06, 06:08 PM
What is this google/buy.com thing?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=483145

Giantrobo
11-15-06, 06:37 AM
Out of morbid couriosity, and in the spirit of trying to jump start the November thread because it's pretty dead ;)....

I've seen lots of "Ultimate" Thor of late in made for DVD movies, and video games but I'd like to know....what's happening with "regular" Thor. If there is such a thing. What about Beta-Ray Thor? Is he still around the marvel universe?

Bronkster
11-15-06, 10:39 AM
Regular Thor and the whole pack of Asgardians are dead, from a final Ragnarok that ended the cycle of continuing Ragnaroks (or something like that). Beta Ray Bill is still around but I forgot what he's up to.

If you're not following Civil War, then you missed the appearance of Cloned Thor who didn't work out very well (he killed other heroes. oops).

Giantrobo
11-15-06, 10:51 AM
Regular Thor and the whole pack of Asgardians are dead, from a final Ragnarok that ended the cycle of continuing Ragnaroks (or something like that). Beta Ray Bill is still around but I forgot what he's up to.

Really? Wow.

If you're not following Civil War, then you missed the appearance of Cloned Thor who didn't work out very well (he killed other heroes. oops).

Yeah, those clones never work out over at the marvel. :lol:

Gamblor187
11-15-06, 10:53 AM
I've heard a lot of buzz about Nextwave...does anyone here read it? I'm going to have a couple extra bucks for comics this week and was thinking about picking up the first trade.

I read it and I love it. Don't go in expecting subtlety or complex storytelling. Just big fights and a lot of twisted humor
Warren Ellis is having one hell of a great year.

Bronkster
11-15-06, 08:33 PM
Holy Crap! The last part of Daredevil: Father came out!!!1!!! Now I gotta see if I can find the first 5 parts because I have no idea what it's about anymore.

Bronkster
11-15-06, 08:37 PM
Yeah, those clones never work out over at the marvel. :lol:
Marvel has screwed up so many clone stories that I voted no on stem cell research. :|

PalmerJoss
11-15-06, 09:37 PM
I was really let down with Civil War this week. The artwork was amazing as usual, but it just seemed like a filler issue. Disappointing considering the delays this series has had. I hope it can finish up with a bang, though. If anyone can do it, it's Mark Millar.

boredsilly
11-16-06, 12:27 PM
I was really let down with Civil War this week..

I wasn't let down, but the book read fast as hell for me. I wasn't paying attention to the page count, so as soon as it got good, the book was over. It felt like it could have used another 10 pages.

Rogue588
11-16-06, 02:50 PM
Ahhh...glad to see Marvel is trying to bring back the good 'ol Image production/shipping schedule..

Granted, Joey Q might have an excuse with "Father", but their big mega-event "Civil War"? Nah. Not only that, but there were two "crossovers" that I got which came out this week (New Avengers and Iron Man). It would be nice to know how those books fit in the continuity..

Also, I would appreciate it greatly if someone would translate the latest Astonishing X-Men for me.. For a second there, I thought Morrison was writing it again..:rolleyes:

boredsilly
11-16-06, 10:44 PM
Regular Thor and the whole pack of Asgardians are dead, from a final Ragnarok that ended the cycle of continuing Ragnaroks (or something like that).

I loved that story btw. Save for the bit that had Iron Man and Cap, it read pretty much like a Sword and Sorcery book (something I usually don't care much for). Oeming is really turning into something special on the writing side of things.

Bronkster
11-17-06, 02:23 AM
Also, I would appreciate it greatly if someone would translate the latest Astonishing X-Men for me..
About the only thing I clearly understood from it was that beer makes you all better.

Rogue588
11-17-06, 03:55 AM
:lol:

davidh777
11-17-06, 11:54 AM
Regular Thor and the whole pack of Asgardians are dead, from a final Ragnarok that ended the cycle of continuing Ragnaroks (or something like that).

Was that the Thor Disassembled thing?

Bronkster
11-17-06, 12:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it was but would have to dig the issues out to confirm. It was the end of the series, if that helps.

kevkev
11-18-06, 06:45 AM
anyone buying these new ec archives sets?
i've been putting off buying the large black & white hardcover sets. but i'm not so sure i want to wait so long to get everything. tales from the crypt vol2 doesnt come out until next june. it may be cheaper for me to buy the large sets on ebay but while i like the B/W art, i think i would prefer the smaller colour reprints. anyone bought the weird science one? what dya reckon?

Patman
11-19-06, 11:50 AM
Squadron Supreme - nice knock-out, drag-out fight for the entire issue. Was pleasantly surprised to see Gary Frank doing the artwork, but I suspect it was his last issue on the title for now.

Astonishing X-Men - pretty twisted issue at times, and a bit confusing, more about the group of X-Men being confused mentally and being used as pawns.

52 Week 28 - so what does Red Tornado have to do with "52"? Hmm... The subplot with Animal Man, Starfire, Adam Strange and Lobo bouncing around the galaxy is leaving me cold.

Birds of Prey 100 - the team gets some new blood (love some of the "no way in hell am I'm accepting Oracle's invitation" scenes). Black Canary and Sin's story provided some character development for Dinah and her own relationship with her mother.

Civil War 5 - So were the delays worth it? Probably not for this setup issue for the home stretch. Spidey appears to have a change of heart, albeit maybe a little too late for undone the harm he's done to his loved ones quality of life (practically forcing them into a witness protection life of subterfuge and evasion).

Holdover from previous week:

Agents of Atlas 4 - I get this mainly because I know the writer, but I think my unfamiliarity is limiting my enjoyment of this miniseries, but it's not a bad read, just sometimes the storytelling/background goes too quick for this reader.

bishop2knight
11-19-06, 11:56 AM
anyone buying these new ec archives sets?
i've been putting off buying the large black & white hardcover sets. but i'm not so sure i want to wait so long to get everything. tales from the crypt vol2 doesnt come out until next june. it may be cheaper for me to buy the large sets on ebay but while i like the B/W art, i think i would prefer the smaller colour reprints. anyone bought the weird science one? what dya reckon?

I think these archives look awesome. I've been spending way too much on HCs lately, though, so I'm holding off. Just so much to choose from these days, it's hard to decide sometimes.

bishop2knight
11-19-06, 12:02 PM
Well, I finished THE ABSOLUTE SANDMAN, and I must admit that I'm not a total convert yet. Close, perhaps, but not quite. The unfortunate thing is that the last couple of issues in the collection didn't really do much for me. The cat one, the Shakespeare, the shapeshifter. I understand that every series will have some down spots for particularl readers, but it's unfortunate that for me, the collection ended on a down note, so now I'll question whether or not I want to get the next $100 set.

At first, I liked the idea that there are a lot of single-story issues, but I think I would've rather seen a narrative running through them all to connect them a little better. After reading 20 issues, I don't feel that I'm any farther along in a story. I've been entertained, but I haven't felt like I'm going from A to B to C. All the stories that were linear were my favorites. Sure, I enjoyed some of the stand-alone issues, but when reading in a collection, they didn't do much for me.

boredsilly
11-19-06, 03:25 PM
Y'know, it's damn near heresy, but I didn't really care for the Shakespeare Sandman issue. I'm not really into Shakes, I like to see the plays performed but that is wear it ends, and I think a lot of the subtlties went over my head. Granted I've only read it once, so maybe upon a second reading I will like it better? It's funny because I went to see that played performed in high school (10 years ago) and the play had a real impact on me. Showing me the power of the theatre and shit.

I really like the stand alone ish where Morpheus meets up with that guy every 100 yrs though. That was cool.

MovieExchange
11-19-06, 09:47 PM
At first, I liked the idea that there are a lot of single-story issues, but I think I would've rather seen a narrative running through them all to connect them a little better. After reading 20 issues, I don't feel that I'm any farther along in a story. I've been entertained, but I haven't felt like I'm going from A to B to C. All the stories that were linear were my favorites. Sure, I enjoyed some of the stand-alone issues, but when reading in a collection, they didn't do much for me.

I understand the feeling. I would guess that it's because, unlike pretty much any series before it, Sandman involved a writer that had a plan of where he wanted to begin and how he wanted to end. Everything in between is just leading up to the grand finale.

I think you'll get a better feeling of continuity as you progress, and see how Gaiman drops such seemingly insignificant happenings in one issue, only for you to find out they were harbingers of major events to come.

The Dolls House, as I said before, set up so many story arcs...

1. Barbie, a bit player in The Doll's House, becomes a central character in A Game Of You.

2. The story at the beginning of Doll's House (Nada's story, the woman Dream talked to when he went to hell to retrieve his helm) is a starting-off point for Season of Mists.

3. It introduces the plot point that Desire is eager to trick Dream into spilling "family blood" and to accept the consequences that go with it. This concept is further explored in the one-shot special "Orpheus," about the child of Dream and Caliope (the muse from one of the standalone issues) and in the story arc "Brief Lives," where Delirium persuades Dream to go on a quest to find Destruction, the 7th member of the endless. Destruction gave up his duties and abandoned his realm. Thus, since he was not killed, no new aspect of Destruction has come to take on his duties.

4. Lyta Hall & her child, which Dream says he has a claim to since it was born in The Dreaming, become a focal point for The Kindly Ones, the last major story arc.

bishop2knight
11-19-06, 10:21 PM
I understand the feeling. I would guess that it's because, unlike pretty much any series before it, Sandman involved a writer that had a plan of where he wanted to begin and how he wanted to end. Everything in between is just leading up to the grand finale.

I think you'll get a better feeling of continuity as you progress, and see how Gaiman drops such seemingly insignificant happenings in one issue, only for you to find out they were harbingers of major events to come.

The Dolls House, as I said before, set up so many story arcs...

1. Barbie, a bit player in The Doll's House, becomes a central character in A Game Of You.

2. The story at the beginning of Doll's House (Nada's story, the woman Dream talked to when he went to hell to retrieve his helm) is a starting-off point for Season of Mists.

3. It introduces the plot point that Desire is eager to trick Dream into spilling "family blood" and to accept the consequences that go with it. This concept is further explored in the one-shot special "Orpheus," about the child of Dream and Caliope (the muse from one of the standalone issues) and in the story arc "Brief Lives," where Delirium persuades Dream to go on a quest to find Destruction, the 7th member of the endless. Destruction gave up his duties and abandoned his realm. Thus, since he was not killed, no new aspect of Destruction has come to take on his duties.

4. Lyta Hall & her child, which Dream says he has a claim to since it was born in The Dreaming, become a focal point for The Kindly Ones, the last major story arc.

Aw, I see. So this is just a giant tapestry that will become one giant story by the end of the series? I'm down with that.

MovieExchange
11-19-06, 11:14 PM
Aw, I see. So this is just a giant tapestry that will become one giant story by the end of the series? I'm down with that.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The story goes that when DC asked Gaiman to do a series, he basically said there were a few conditions that had to be met for him to accept.

1. Total creative control. No being told that he has to do a crossover, etc.

2. The story ends when he says it does. He knew how he wanted to begin things, and he knew how the story would end. He had a good idea of how he would get from point A to point B, but didn't know how long it would take.

3. When the story was done, it was DONE. Neil would be done writing it, and DC would not bring in a new writer to continue the series (although he did agree to them doing one-shots about other characters from the series)

bishop2knight
11-20-06, 08:16 AM
Well, then consider me on board for the next Absolute edition.

Which actually brings me to another question. How does everyone here decide what to buy? Sounds like a silly question, but with so many products these days, and with so many collections jumping in price, I'm interested in your thought process. I mean, there's monthlies and collections and hard covers and oversized hardcovers and cheap B&W reprints. I noticed that my roughly $100 budget each month is getting me fewer and fewer books, and if anyone has a strategy to maximize their purchases, please let me know. :D

Patman
11-20-06, 07:04 PM
I'm actually shocked anyone would spend $100/AbsSandman (sure, there are discounted sources, but it's still pricey) without never having read the series (plus they are available in TPB for the price of roughly 1.5 AbsSandman volumes.

davidh777
11-21-06, 02:11 AM
I know I mention Mike Grell's Warlord in this thread about twice a year, but that would make a nice Absolute Edition.

boredsilly
11-21-06, 07:42 AM
Having read Birds of Prey 99 & 100, I'm ok with the changes so far. Final word will come once the new team is situated, but so far I'm digging things. And the backup story was great.

Now what I'm not digging is the art. There were a couple of panels where the girls looked like drag queens and that just doesn't work for me. It doesn't need to be a T&A book, but the art on the last couple of issues was pretty bad (save for the backup story - that guy was great, looked a lot like Terry Moore's art).

Makes me want to read some Manhunter.

bishop2knight
11-21-06, 08:31 AM
I know I mention Mike Grell's Warlord in this thread about twice a year, but that would make a nice Absolute Edition.

I'd take any kind of collection for that. I love that series.

Superboy
11-21-06, 02:34 PM
Civil War 5 - So were the delays worth it? Probably not for this setup issue for the home stretch. Spidey appears to have a change of heart, albeit maybe a little too late for undone the harm he's done to his loved ones quality of life (practically forcing them into a witness protection life of subterfuge and evasion).

Don't underestimate the power of the recon. Or the Deus Ex Machina

JasonF
11-21-06, 03:57 PM

Mike Grell's Warlord wins the "Why the Hell Isn't This In Print" Award (DC Edition). The Marvel winner is Satrlin's Warlock.

JasonF
11-21-06, 03:58 PM

Manhunter is great! Everyone should read it!

We are talking about the Goodwin/Simonson stories from the 70s, right?

MovieExchange
11-22-06, 12:53 PM
I think Civil War would be working out much better if they had a better sense of continuity. I'm really getting sick of things like this week's Amazing Spider-Man, which should have been out last week or the week before in terms of story.

Sessa17
11-22-06, 03:14 PM
Haven't posted my weekly haul for a while so since I have the day off, here is what I picked up today:

52 WEEK #29 - I know a lot of people have been complaining about 52 but aside from the shoddy art, I'm still diggin' the series. Yeah it's slow but so what it's a weekly comic. I think it's more for the hardcore DC fan than the average reader.

ACTION COMICS #845 - Donnner, Bizarro, that's enough for me.

BOYS #5 - Damn I love this book, this has become my new Planetary. Most of my comics just pile up until I have time to read them, but this has become my book that I just have to read the second I get it.

CASANOVA #6 - One of the many brilliant books I read & love every month that abslolutely nobody else seems to buy.

CONAN #34 - So behind on this books, but it's never bad.

DAREDEVIL #91 - Marve's best superhero comic since the best writer in comics took over.

DRAIN #1 - I'll give it a shot.

ELEPHANTMEN #0 - see Casanova.

GODLAND #14 - See Elephantmen. This one is actually like The Boys, I just love this book so much & nobody seems to read this. BUY THE TRADES PEOPLE, this is one of the most unique comics out there & such fun for a true comic fan. The best work of Joe Casey's underrated career.

HAWKGIRL #58

HEROES FOR HIRE #4 - I actually think this is a fun series. Doomed to an early cancellation though.

JACK OF FABLES #5 - Haven't read a single issue yet, but anything Fables is sure to be good.

JOHN WOOS SEVEN BROTHERS #2 - First issue was good enough for me to see where this is going.

JSA CLASSIFIED #19 - Woo Hoo, Rags Morales art.

NEW X-MEN OMNIBUS HC - Thought Morrison's run fell apart towards the end, but the Quietely issues alone were IMO the greatest X-men comics ever created.

NOBLE CAUSES #25 - Probably the best superhero team comic being published today & I think my sale is the only sale this comic has.

RUNAWAYS #22 - Well, actually this is probably the best team comic.

SAM NOIR SAMURAI DETECTIVE #3 - Look at the title. "Samurai Detective", am I the only one that is sold just on that concept.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER VOL 1 TP - AWESOME!

STAR WARS KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC #10 - Really diggin' this book. Very underrated series.

USAGI YOJIMBO #98 - How can anyone not read Usagi.

WALKING DEAD #32 - Same with this book.

WOLVERINE #48 - Man this book sucks right now. Maybe it's because I'm not reading Civil War. I can't stand Humberto Ramos' art.

WONDER WOMAN #3 - Haven't read 1 or 2 yet.

X-FACTOR #13

Y THE LAST MAN VOL 8 KIMONO DRAGONS TP - Can't wait to read this. This & 100 Bullets are the only comics I read in trade form.

Giantrobo
11-22-06, 10:25 PM

Better late than never. ;)

stingermck
11-22-06, 11:47 PM
I love how The Punisher is turning the tide in Civil War. After reading the MAX title for so long, War Journal was much better than I expected. Leave it to Castle to have to clean up everyones mess.

bishop2knight
11-24-06, 01:34 PM
Huge sale at Mile High today...50% off everything. Picked up Absolute New Frontier, the Edgar Allan Poe hardcover, and Wicked West II for $60.

I'll have to plan better and save some money next year.

kevin75
11-24-06, 01:40 PM
unfortunately, that mile high sale is instore only. :( i would've loved to go in store. B2K, were the stores crowded

bishop2knight
11-24-06, 02:28 PM
The store I was in had maybe 5 customers. But I was there at 8 a.m. I'm sure they got plenty crowded before noon.

They have some great sales online, too. Just type THANKSGIVING in the coupon code box when checking out.

MovieExchange
11-25-06, 12:14 AM
I love how The Punisher is turning the tide in Civil War. After reading the MAX title for so long, War Journal was much better than I expected. Leave it to Castle to have to clean up everyones mess.

I felt the exact opposite. For well over a decade I've said that Punisher and some other characters (like Wolverine) are ones that Marvel has no business in having. Why? Because they're supposed to be cold-blooded killers that live a very violent and often profane lifestyle, yet Marvel's self-censorship prevented them from showing these characters actually acting like they are supposed to.

The MAX version of Punisher changed that, and make the book a little more realisitc in setting. Going back and reading a non-MAX Punisher just felt wrong. I expected a return of the old "mercy bullets" at any moment (I'm sure someone else remembers the mercy bullets days of Punisher... right?)

Now if they'd only do a Wolverine book under the MAX line.

Giantrobo
11-25-06, 06:20 AM
So my ex wife is having her garage cleaned out and I have 4 longboxes filled with comics that have been in there since the late 90's. Sigh- The guy cleaning the garage said that all the boxes are full of bugs and spiders and that some of the other non-comic boxes near them have had squirrels, rodents, and birds chewing/nesting on them. He sprayed the bugs and even trapped a couple squirrels and released them at a park. Anyway, I'm about to lose a buncha comics. I hate to think of what's in those boxes because I had some cool stuff but then again, it's not like I had comics from 1939. I don't have room in my apartment for the old boxes and I'm not bringing any potential infestations into my pad so i told the guy to toss 'em.

Oh well....

Giantrobo
11-25-06, 06:22 AM
Anyone reading Supergirl?

Who the hell is Powerboy or Powerman that showed up at the end?

Superboy
11-25-06, 06:57 AM
Anyone reading Supergirl?

I have no intention of reading a book about a character that DC only likes to punish. It seems like everytime they bring her back they only want to give her the axe right away. And the OYL storyline fizzled out fast.

Giantrobo
11-25-06, 09:15 AM
I have no intention of reading a book about a character that DC only likes to punish. It seems like everytime they bring her back they only want to give her the axe right away. And the OYL storyline fizzled out fast.

Sigh- fine. I'm guessing you don't have an answer for my spoilerized question. ;)

Bronkster
11-25-06, 11:34 AM
I don't have room in my apartment for the old boxes and I'm not bringing any potential infestations into my pad so i told the guy to toss 'em.

Oh well....
That just broke my heart! :sad:
Were the comics in bags/boards? If so, they might be fine with just the bag being damaged. Might be worth a look. At least donate them to a book store or something - I hate to see comics just (*shudder*) thrown away!!

Linn1
11-25-06, 11:46 AM
pretty sure he's a member of the legion of superheroes.

Giantrobo
11-25-06, 11:57 AM
That just broke my heart! :sad:
Were the comics in bags/boards? If so, they might be fine with just the bag being damaged. Might be worth a look. At least donate them to a book store or something - I hate to see comics just (*shudder*) thrown away!!

I think they were bagged and boarded. Anyway, i may do that but at this point I'm not so sure.

Giantrobo
11-25-06, 12:00 PM
pretty sure he's a member of the legion of superheroes.

really?

Linn1
11-25-06, 02:10 PM
but I think he was one of the old Legion from the 80s run. Please note, THINK he is.

JasonF
11-26-06, 01:13 AM
There was a character named Power Boy in the old Legion comics, but I don't think he has anything to do with the character in Supergirl. He's the purple dude on the cover of this comic:

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=37830&zoom=4

Rogue588
11-26-06, 01:38 AM
HEROES FOR HIRE #4 - I actually think this is a fun series. Doomed to an early cancellation though.Please don't say that. It's bad enough Tucci stuck around to draw only oh, about THREE panels before they got a replacement artist...:rolleyes:

okay, he drew more than three panels, but still...

Giantrobo
11-26-06, 05:59 AM
There was a character named Power Boy in the old Legion comics, but I don't think he has anything to do with the character in Supergirl. He's the purple dude on the cover of this comic:

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=37830&zoom=4

hmmm that's interesting.

I also noticed that the one in Supergirl had a shoulder thingy that was kinda like Power Girl's cape buckle or whatever it is.

PalmerJoss
11-26-06, 02:50 PM
What a small week it was for me. I picked up Wonder Woman #3 and had no idea what was going on. This title is on such an irregular shipping schedule that I no longer care about it and am now dropping it.

I also picked up Superman Confidential #1 and I liked it. It wasn't anywhere near as good as Superman For All Seasons, but still was enjoyable. I'm a huge Tim Sale fan and will pick up the next issue. I'm not all that familiar with Darwyn Cooke's work, but so far I'm liking. I plan to pick up The Spirit when he starts writing/drawing the title next month.

MovieExchange
11-26-06, 04:03 PM
Aaaand another title goes on the dropped list. I'll buy the next issue of Ultimate Spider-Man just to see how the big clone saga storyline turns out but then, unless Bendis does something that absolutely blows me away, I'm done with the title. I thought the original clone saga was enough of a clusterfuck, but BMB's version of it is even worse. It's sad that a year ago I was telling people that if they only read one book in the Ultimate Universe, it should be Spider-Man.

Wolverine is gone also. The art is just too blocky and childish for me to enjoy it. Not to mention the writing is getting progressively worse.

I leafed through 52 at the comic shop and it still sucks. I think it'd be better if they didn't have this stupid "mad scientists in a hidden compound" storyline.

Moon Knight, on the other hand, has been very entertaining.

davidh777
11-26-06, 11:41 PM
I picked up, but haven't yet started, Invincible Ultimate hardcover #1. If I like it, I'm assuming I'm going to pick up #2, but the new big collection is intriguing...

JasonF
11-27-06, 12:50 AM
Sad comics news -- Dave Cockrum died of complications from diabetes earlier today. :sad: The man was truly one of the greats. Between his work on the Legion of Superheroes and his work on X-Men, he's got himself a place in the pantheon of great comic book artists. Rest in peace, Mr. Cockrum.

Patman
11-27-06, 09:13 AM
RIP, Mr. Cockrum (http://www.patcave.com/hc2k5/hcg7607.jpg) (he's wearing the Wolverine shirt)

fujishig
11-27-06, 03:08 PM
hmmm that's interesting.

I also noticed that the one in Supergirl had a shoulder thingy that was kinda like Power Girl's cape buckle or whatever it is.

Not that this helps reveal who he is, but I think he was the same guy that was recently in an issue of 52. Beast Boy had put together a replacement Teen Titans together, which included Power Boy and "Little Barda" both of whom seemed to come from New Genesis. The team split up in that same issue (the one with Firestorm putting together the crappy replacement Justice League).

Of course, NOTHING in Supergirl makes any sense at all... I mean really, she goes back to school for one issue? Why? Ugh.

fujishig
11-27-06, 03:09 PM
On a side note... I'm considering picking up the recent X-factor premium HCs, the ones for the new series. How is it? All I've seen of it are Ryan Sook's covers, but I don't think he does the interiors...

Sessa17
11-27-06, 03:27 PM
On a side note... I'm considering picking up the recent X-factor premium HCs, the ones for the new series. How is it? All I've seen of it are Ryan Sook's covers, but I don't think he does the interiors...

I believe Sook penciled the first 2, maybe 3 issues. The first 7 or so issues are brilliant, as good as anythin PAD has ever done. Then the series IMO slipped, but probably b/c it gets Civial War heavy, & I'm not reading Civil War so I was a bit lost. The last issue however was excellent, a nice throwback to PAD's first run on the book. The art since Sook left has been a little sub-par, but overally it's a pretty good series, worth reading.

As for Supergirl, I think the new series is putrid, one of DC's worste series. A big reason is Churchil's unbearable art, he is one of my least favorite in the business, but mostly b/c as still a fairly new series, it does my biggest pet peeve with a new book, in that it just has no direction. If you are going to restart a book, it should have a clear purpose. I feel like they have no clue what to do with the character or what direction to take this series.

bishop2knight
11-27-06, 07:16 PM
As always Sessa, you know exactly what you're talking about. Supergirl had potential, but DC dropped the ball. I think the only think I liked about Churchill's art was that he gave her a small chest, like any teenager's would be. But that's not enough to overlook the rest of the book's problems.

Speaking of X-Factor, I'm thinking of getting the Essential X-Factor vol. 1. This old series was the first I remember buying on a regular basis as a kid. But what does everyone think of the B&W Essential line? Worth it, or wait for the color reprints?

Also, to take it further of topic, I read ABSOLUTE NEW FRONTIER this weekend. Holy cow, that book rules! The story is good, but the art is so bloody fantastic, I found myself soaking in every single panel. This is the type of book that makes me wonder why I read some of the other garbage that I do. When there are books out there that are this good, I shouldn't waste my time with that other tripe.

Rogue588
11-27-06, 07:28 PM
I agree with the comments about Supergirl, but the only reason i'm buying it is for the art. If it was for the "story", I would've droppped it 12 issues ago..

X-Factor is one of my favorite second-rate books that I collect..

Oh, and :rip: Mr. Cockrum.

Sessa17
11-28-06, 04:48 PM
Speaking of X-Factor, I'm thinking of getting the Essential X-Factor vol. 1. This old series was the first I remember buying on a regular basis as a kid. But what does everyone think of the B&W Essential line? Worth it, or wait for the color reprints?

I know I'm anti-Marvel a lot, but I dig the DC Showcase Presents books a lot more than the Marvel line. Haunted Tank, the Unknown Soldier collection I bought last week are freakin' awesome, b/c that's stuff you can't find easily nowadays. But an essential X-factor vol. 1? Those are books you can find a most store's 25 cent bins. Or on-line for next than nothing. PAD's run on that book is some of the best "X" material ever written IMO, & it came during the glutton phase of the 90s so most stores ordered the hell out of it, but b/c it wasn't Jim Lee or any of the Image crowd, doing the books, most stores had more than they could sell of X-factor. And to me, Strohman's art was so kick-ass on that run, if I were you, I'd try to track down the issues as oppose to an essential collection of such a recent series.

fujishig
11-28-06, 06:05 PM
I know I'm anti-Marvel a lot, but I dig the DC Showcase Presents books a lot more than the Marvel line. Haunted Tank, the Unknown Soldier collection I bought last week are freakin' awesome, b/c that's stuff you can't find easily nowadays. But an essential X-factor vol. 1? Those are books you can find a most store's 25 cent bins. Or on-line for next than nothing. PAD's run on that book is some of the best "X" material ever written IMO, & it came during the glutton phase of the 90s so most stores ordered the hell out of it, but b/c it wasn't Jim Lee or any of the Image crowd, doing the books, most stores had more than they could sell of X-factor. And to me, Strohman's art was so kick-ass on that run, if I were you, I'd try to track down the issues as oppose to an essential collection of such a recent series.

I think the Essential X-factor series is the original X-factor series done by the Simonson's: volume one has something like 16 issues of the series, an annual, and various issues of related books (Thor, Power Pack, etc.). For 16 bucks before discount, it's a pretty good deal unless you can find all the backissues locally (the essential volume is in B&W after all). I haven't picked that one up yet, but I have enjoyed all of the Essential Uncanny X-men series despite that not being in color. It'll be interesting to see how Portacio's art comes out without color, if they ever get that far.

I believe there's some kind of Marvel Visionaries: PAD on X-factor series that is out, which may be what you're talking about, and is in color at a higher price point. May be worth it if you don't have access to the back issues or like TPB collections.

bishop2knight
11-28-06, 07:24 PM
Sessa, you're definitely right about the back issues. They're color and cheap. But for me, I just like reading in the book format. And I'm loving these cheap collections of older books. Sure, I love the giant hardcovers, but The Batman Chronicles and The Superman Chronicles are fantastic. I'm really learning to enjoy these old books. Heck, I'm about halfway through Essential Tomb of Dracula and I'm totally enjoying it.

Who knew?

But going back to X-Factor, I have no idea if those early Simonson issues are any good...but I sure love reading those comics I loved so much as a kid.

ytrez
11-29-06, 08:07 AM
Haunted Tank & Unknown Soldier are great, X-Factor...not so much.

I enjoy both Showcase & Essentials (I liked Showcase more when they were using the better/whiter paper, but they still rock) but what I'd really like to see are more golden age reprints of Captain Marvel. The Shazam archives come out at a snails pace and there is a ton of stuff out there to be reprinted from Whiz, Captain Marvel Adventures, Master Comics, Captain Marvel Jr., The Marvel Family, and Mary Marvel series.

Also, the hardcover collection of the original Moster Society of Evil is just begging to be rereleased.

dadaluholla
11-29-06, 09:08 AM

Those earlier X-factor books are some of my all time favorites!!! Especially when you get up to around #24-25 with the classic Archangel/Apocalypse storyline. It is really great stuff. I don't know how the art holds up in b&w, but those Essential books are so cheap, so you might as well pick it up.

MBoyd
11-29-06, 10:10 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/comic.death.ap/index.html

CNN article on Cockrum's death. Lame sensational headline about him dying in Superman PJs. Shame on CNN.

bishop2knight
11-29-06, 10:24 AM
That's a terrible, terrible headline. Makes him sound more like a crazy guy than a comic art pioneer.

MovieExchange
11-29-06, 02:54 PM
I liked the old X-Factor, although it didn't really hit its stride until Peter David started writing it. It's too bad Marvel edited that one story down to absolute unintelligible shit.

I remember sitting in a comic shop arguing with the owner back when X-Factor was announced, and they were playing up the whole "5th mystery member." I told him it would be Jean Grey and he was swearing up and down it wouldn't be. Even at that tender young age, I found myself saying "you call yourself a comic fan, and you can't see this coming from a mile away? And how the hell did you manage to own a comic shop?"

JasonF
11-29-06, 07:56 PM
Haunted Tank & Unknown Soldier are great, X-Factor...not so much.

I enjoy both Showcase & Essentials (I liked Showcase more when they were using the better/whiter paper, but they still rock) but what I'd really like to see are more golden age reprints of Captain Marvel. The Shazam archives come out at a snails pace and there is a ton of stuff out there to be reprinted from Whiz, Captain Marvel Adventures, Master Comics, Captain Marvel Jr., The Marvel Family, and Mary Marvel series.

Also, the hardcover collection of the original Moster Society of Evil is just begging to be rereleased.

I actually thought the Haunted Tank stories were too repetitive when read all in a row like that. Haven't cracked Unknown Soldier yet -- I'm still working my way through Tales of the Zombie and Challengers of the Unknown.

As for X-Factor, I liked it, but part of that may be fueled by nostalgia. The really good stuff, IMO, will be in the next volume. That's where you get stuff like the Right and the battle against Apocolypse during the Fall of the Mutants. But even if the stories weren't so good, I'd pay money for just about anything drawn by Walt Simonson.

As for Captain Marvel, I am right there with you. About a decade ago, I payed $130 for a copy of Monster Society on eBay, at a time when I really had no business spending that much money on a comic book. Very much worth it. Around the same time, I e-mailed whoever was in charge of reprints at DC suggesting they reprint it, and was told that there probably wasn't enough of a market for it to justify it. But reprint programs have become much more robust over the last decade, so who knows ... maybe someday we'll see it back in print.

JasonF
11-29-06, 07:59 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/28/comic.death.ap/index.html

CNN article on Cockrum's death. Lame sensational headline about him dying in Superman PJs. Shame on CNN.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/JFliegel/Cockrum.jpg

bishop2knight
11-29-06, 09:53 PM
JasonF, in that same article, the second "new" item in the highlights box. It says "The comic will be cremated..." He was an comic illustrator, not a comic. Good grief. Errors like that have been creeping into news stories a lot lately, but for some reason, this really irks me.

bishop2knight
11-29-06, 09:54 PM
Haven't cracked Unknown Soldier yet -- I'm still working my way through Tales of the Zombie and Challengers of the Unknown.

How is that Tales of the Zombie? I don't know what it is, but I'm jonesin' to read more of that old school horror stuff.

JasonF
11-30-06, 12:13 AM
How is that Tales of the Zombie? I don't know what it is, but I'm jonesin' to read more of that old school horror stuff.

It's OK. It reprints all 10 issues of the magazine-sized Tales of the Zombie book from the early 70s. It's got a lot of one-off stories, although there is a continuing character who appears in some of the stories. If you've read Essential Dracula Vol. 4 -- the one that reprints stuff from the Dracula Magazine, as opposed to the Dracula Comic -- it's got a similar feel to that.

DataZak
11-30-06, 12:55 AM
Why is the EC Archives: Weird Science vol. 1 not available in Amazon? Anyone managed to buy it (online or BnM)?

The Complete Dick Tracy vol. 1 is also "available within 1 to 3 months". Did these books sell out? That was quick.

Giantrobo
11-30-06, 05:07 AM
Did CROSSING MIDNIGHT #1 come out Wednesday 11/29?

It wasn't in my stack this week.

PalmerJoss
11-30-06, 09:41 AM
Only 2 books this week but both were quite enjoyable.

First up was Batman/The Spirit. I haven't really liked anything Jeph Loeb has written apart from his work with Tim Sale, but this was enjoyable. Darwyn Cooke's artwork definitely fit the tone of the book perfectly. On a side note, when did Darwyn Cooke become DC's go to guy? He just did New Frontier(which I have yet to read), he drew this, and he's pulling double duty on The Spirit monthly.

The other book I got this week was Captain America #24. Great, great issue overall. I loved the artwork, and Brubaker shows how to do a Civil War tie-in properly. I'm glad there won't be any more Cap CW tie-ins, but the 3 issues we got were amazing. They not only advanced the plot of the regular Captain America book but it also managed to advance the plot of CW also. Not an easy feat there, and I think it further proves that Brubaker is the best writer at Marvel now.

Did anyone pick up the first issue of Iron Fist this week? I saw Brubaker's name on it, but I've never been a big fan of Iron Fist so I passed. What's the word on it? Anyone?

Sessa17
11-30-06, 05:02 PM
Here is what I picked up this week, awesome week for a Vertigo fan:

52 WEEK #30 - I don't get all the hate for this book, the last few issues have been great.

AMERICAN VIRGIN #9 - Getting worried this will be cancelled soon, the sales are terrible even for a Vertigo book.

AQUAMAN SWORD OF ATLANTIS #46 - I'm enjoyin' this relaunch of sorts, but Guice's art isn't nearly as good as it use to be.

BATMAN #659

BATMAN THE SPIRIT - OH m god did nobody pick this up. Yet, another masterpiece by Darwyne Cooke. He can do no wrong.

BLACK PANTHER #22 - One of my favorite characters ever, I thought this series was putrid for the first 15 or so issues, but I've actually liked it since the wedding.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #24 - I'm so sick of this civil war crap crossing into my favorite Marvel books.

CONAN & THE SONGS OF THE DEAD #5 - Truman doing Conan, that is as good as it gets. Can't believe there is no Conan love here.

CROSSING MIDNIGHT #1 - Vertigo rarely lets me down. Dug it enough to want more, not blown away, but I like that there is nothing like this book on the stands right now.

DARK HORSE BOOK OF MONSTERS HC - Always enjoy these books from Dark Horse.

FLASH THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #6 - This has actually been a worse relaunch than Supergirl. I can't stand the art, & the story is feels pointless. Not really doing a good job of setting up a new flash in the DC universe.

GREEN LANTERN #15 - Was about to give up on this series, thought it has been some of Johns worste work ever, but the last couple of issues have picked up.

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #1 - Haven't read it yet, but it's going to be hard getting into this book when as the first issue comes out, you already know cancellation isn't too far away.

LOVELESS #13 - One of the most underrated comics being published. What a cover on this issue, & an awesome, awesome story this issue.

NEXTWAVE AGENTS OF HATE #10 - Always brilliant.

STAR WARS LEGACY #6 - Been really enjoying this & KOTOR

SUPERMAN BATMAN #30

TEEN TITANS #41 - I'm so behind on this book, but it is always great.

X-MEN #193 - Unreadable, & I can't stand Bachelo's art (or attempt at it), it makes my eyes hurt.

ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS #1 - The idea more than enough to sell me. Plus, I love Wood's art.

dadaluholla
11-30-06, 10:40 PM
CAPTAIN AMERICA #24 - I'm so sick of this civil war crap crossing into my favorite Marvel books.

No kidding. Those few Cap issues are the ONLY Civil War tie-ins I have had to endure. Thankfully Brubaker handled it well enough not to let it taint anything too badly.

I picked up Nextwave #1-9 cheap on eBay recently, and I have to say it didn't really do much for me. It's just kind of blah, and definitely not as funny as I was hoping. I was expecting some sort of early Deadpool hilarity the way people went on and on about it.

JasonF
12-01-06, 09:30 AM
AQUAMAN SWORD OF ATLANTIS #46 - I'm enjoyin' this relaunch of sorts, but Guice's art isn't nearly as good as it use to be.

I'm really digging this book. The premise is fully grounded in the DCU, but totally different from anything else out there.

Guice and Busiek are off the book as of isse #50. The new creative team is Tad Williams (of "Next," "Otherland," and "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn") as writer and Sean McManus (of "Sandman: A Game of You") as artist.

MovieExchange
12-01-06, 10:02 AM
52 WEEK #30 - I don't get all the hate for this book, the last few issues have been great.

The hate is because it came out of the gate like a winner, and then about 12 or so issues down the line started delivering horrible stories. When you're featuring characters that not only are not the top ones in the company, but don't even remotely quallify as second or third string characters, the writing has to be amazing, and it was far from it. The whole concept of 52 is just moronic. Not only do we have what I mentioned in other threads, that we're going to have another missing year for these characters since none of them are showing up in current DCU books, but the pacing of the storytelling is hideous. Characters disappear for weeks or even months at a time, right in the middle of a story. This book is happening in real time, remember? Yet we have stories that pick up 2 months down the road acting like everything happened the day before.

And, as I also mentioned last week, the long boring "mad scientists in the hidden compound" story is what finally killed the book for me. Christ, these guys aren't second, third, fourth or fifth string players. These are scab replacement players off the street that were brought on the court because every professional in the world was in the same area the night the terrorists blew it up.

52's ultimate achievement is demonstrating just how weak the DCU is without the Justice League heavy hitters.

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #1 - Haven't read it yet, but it's going to be hard getting into this book when as the first issue comes out, you already know cancellation isn't too far away.

I read it, wasn't impressed. A shame, too, since Iron Fist was one of my favorite characters. I got into Power Man & Iron Fist way back when Secret Wars 2 crossed over into the title, and liked it enough to buy every single back issue (this was well before Sabretooth got popular, so his appearances weren't any big thing and no extra cost).

STAR WARS LEGACY #6 - Been really enjoying this & KOTOR

I dropped the title. I quickly got annoyed by how they're doing the Sith. "Hey, everyone thought Darth Maul was cool, so now all Sith, no matter what species, have red skin and black tattoos!!!!!"

I can't believe that Ostrander is churning this out, he can do much better.

Gamblor187
12-01-06, 10:10 AM
I can't believe that Ostrander is churning this out, he can do much better.

Ostrander can indeed do much better. But the issue of Batman that came out this week seems to suggest that the man is in a bit of a slump. A terrible issue.

MovieExchange
12-01-06, 12:43 PM
Ostrander can indeed do much better. But the issue of Batman that came out this week seems to suggest that the man is in a bit of a slump. A terrible issue.

He's on my list with Peter David as writers that need to just give up because they're a pale version of what they once were.

Ostrander's work on Spectre is among some of his best.

fujishig
12-01-06, 12:44 PM
I wonder if 52 wouldn't have been a little better as an anthology or sorts, with a few pages each week of each major storyline getting advanced in realtime. Otherwise, as you say, it's not really "realtime" at all, and besides the weekly schedule and fifth-tier cast, nothing to really differentiate it from any other comic out there.