Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Chris Tucker do Rush Hour Movies and nothing else?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 09:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of actor's who can get a $25-$30 Million Payday and then do other movies as well ...

I just find it peculiar he only does these lame-o Rush Hour movies and doesnt stretch out in other roles.
Old 10-31-06, 09:41 PM

Maybe he just doesn't have the passions to act. That used to actually not be the peculiar trait.
Old 10-31-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Doesn't he still do stand up? That's where he started and I think that's where his heart is when not making Rush Hour flicks.
Old 10-31-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Well, the word has been for awhile that he got religous. I can only assume that's why he hasn't done anything since. Get a few 20mill payments and what else do you need really. This also happens when sports players retire early, critics say "look what they gave up, they could've been great, etc.." but it doesn't matter if that's not important to you.

Anyone dare ressurect the old Chris Tucker topics?...
Old 11-01-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
He seems to have his stand-up and charity interests and is not that interested in movie roles. It helps that Rush Hour pays him HUGE. He wouldn't get $20 million (or the $25 million rumored for part 3) in other roles. With that cash, he doesn't need to do other work.
Old 11-01-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i personally think he's great in the Rush Hour films... and i definitely respect his choices. yea, they're pretty silly movies, but Tucker always makes me laugh.

-NiCK
Old 11-01-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the backend pay on Friday and Fifth Element are pretty good as well.
Old 11-01-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe he just likes Jackie Chan?
Old 11-01-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
All i can say is him doing Rush Hour movies is too many movies for my liking. And Jackie Chan needs to go back to Hong Kong and make the kind of movies he used to make and not the rubbish he churns out these days.
Old 11-01-06, 02:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe this is the only way he can make money
Old 11-01-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
"If it ain't broke..."
Old 11-02-06, 09:28 AM

As I understand it he signed a multi-picture deal with them that would pay him ridiculous amounts (~20M per picture) and just lost interest in acting. He's just doing Rush Hour 3 out of his committment is the rumor I heard.
Old 11-02-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that he's far more interested in doing charity work (mostly in Africa) these days and isn't interested in acting. He's like the male Angelina Jolie!
Old 11-02-06, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
All i can say is him doing Rush Hour movies is too many movies for my liking. And Jackie Chan needs to go back to Hong Kong and make the kind of movies he used to make and not the rubbish he churns out these days.
I sometimes wonder if Jackie Chan has another great movie in him (age has finally caught up with him). Wasn't "The Myth" supposedly kind of a dud? And I really didn't like the "New Police Story."
Old 11-03-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that Jackie Chan and Jet Li are teaming up to do a movie based on the Monkey King legend.
Old 11-03-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Only Rush Hour?

You've never seen the Fifth Element, or Friday, or Jackie Brown?
Old 11-03-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He can make more money doing only Rush Hour films. Chris Tucker is not a $25 Million leading man. He just isn't. Besides the Rush Hour films, he can't open a film on his own. If he followed up Rush Hour, or Rush Hour 2, with a string of 3-4 low grossing crappy movies, he'd be making $6 Million per picture. Then the Rush Hour producers would lure him in to another sequel at a cheap rate because they would have the upper hand, he'd need another hit to find more work. I'm actually impressed that he's pulled this off so well. He can make like $60 Million by only doing 3 films in a decade. Or he can pump out 1-2 movies a year and most likely only earn like $85 Million. I'd do the same thing he's doing.
Old 11-04-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
And Jackie Chan needs to go back to Hong Kong and make the kind of movies he used to make and not the rubbish he churns out these days.
Jackie Chan's going to have to go back in time if he's going to make the kind of movies he used to make. He may have appeal in Hong Kong as a comedic actor, but I don't think a non-continual-ass-kicking Jackie Chan will be very popular in the US.
Old 11-04-06, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
His returning to HK hasn't really helped IMHO. Don't get me wrong I love JC films and have most of them (including the bad early ones, but I can't bring myself to buy all the "Jackie" movies where he just has a cameo) but his last couple have been lacking something. It's probably time he just retire from the front of the screen and working on directing/producing
Old 11-04-06, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cornyt
I sometimes wonder if Jackie Chan has another great movie in him (age has finally caught up with him). Wasn't "The Myth" supposedly kind of a dud? And I really didn't like the "New Police Story."

The Myth had some elements of his earlier stuff, there was a fight in a fly paper factory or something like that that was quite amusing. But it also has a lot more wirework/flying people than I personally care for so overall I wasn't too impressed by it. I agree on NPS as well... I think it was his attempt to make a drama, there was a rumor at one point he wanted to switch to being a serious actor instead of the comedies he's known for, but if that's the case they should have left the PS name out of it since it brought w/ it certain expectations that were not lived up to.