Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is on the new Ringside: Mike Tyson 2 DVD set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the life of me I cannot find any information on the new 2 disk Mike Tyson set released today. Does anyone know what is on the disks? Thanks!
Old 11-01-06, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...
Old 11-01-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from what i found on espn.com
Mike Tyson was one of the most feared fighters in boxing. By age 19, his superlative record of wins earned him the nickname "Kid Dynamite." In the two years that followed, Tyson knocked out 19 opponents in a row, eventually becoming the youngest heavyweight champion in history. His winning streak expanded to a dazzling 37-0 before Buster Douglas, an 11-1 underdog, TKO'd Tyson in the 10th round in one of boxing's biggest upsets. Now, ESPN Classic Ringside brings you "The Best of Mike Tyson," a new perspective and up-to-date analysis of one of the most dominant figures to ever step foot in the ring. Hosted by ESPN's Brian Kenny and historian/author Bert Randolph Sugar, this two-disc knockout edition DVD set includes 19 thrill-packed Tyson fights from his 1985 professional debut to the historic 1990 Douglas fight. Special guests include Teddy Atlas, Tyson's trainer from '80-'82, and ex-heavyweight champ Larry Holmes.

I don't have a match listing but it looks like it'll only have older fights (aka no ear biting, or any thing recent)
Old 11-01-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This guy was a bear against trash cans in his younger days. I saw him fight and I could not believe the tenacity. Definitely one of the best fighters of all time, recent history aside.
Old 11-03-06, 04:44 PM
Banned

I splurged today, and bought it at Wal-Mart. I haven't watched it yet, but the back says 4 hours of fights (I'm guessing full fights). Pretty much combine what Rypro said with the fights, and you have the back of the dvd. The fights are:

Tyson vs. Mercedes
vs. Spain
vs. Alderson
vs. Johnson
vs. Long
vs. Colay
vs. Benjamin
vs. Richardson
vs. Scaff
vs. Young
vs. Jameson
vs. Ferguson
vs. Zouski
vs. Tillis
vs. Berbick
vs. Holmes
vs. Spinks
vs. Bruno
vs. Douglas

Just your typical DVD with a slipcase. No special packaging.
Old 11-03-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by king slug
I splurged today, and bought it at Wal-Mart. I haven't watched it yet, but the back says 4 hours of fights (I'm guessing full fights). Pretty much combine what Rypro said with the fights, and you have the back of the dvd. The fights are:

Tyson vs. Mercedes
vs. Spain
vs. Alderson
vs. Johnson
vs. Long
vs. Colay
vs. Benjamin
vs. Richardson
vs. Scaff
vs. Young
vs. Jameson
vs. Ferguson
vs. Zouski
vs. Tillis
vs. Berbick
vs. Holmes
vs. Spinks
vs. Bruno
vs. Douglas

Just your typical DVD with a slipcase. No special packaging.

They kept the same program from the ESPN airing, so it will show future scenes and results as it cuts to a commercial (that is not there). So if you are not familiar with some of the endings, I would fast forward quickly through those parts. That is a pretty good selection of the tomato cans he fought. Make sure you check out the Scaff fight as he probably never breathed the same....Richardson is also funny.
Old 11-04-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

aside from reservoir dogs this one cries out for limited edition severed ear packaging.
Old 11-06-06, 06:36 PM

It probably contains complete fights, since most of Tyson's fights in those days didn't last very long.
Old 11-07-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
His winning streak expanded to a dazzling 37-0 before Buster Douglas, an 11-1 underdog...
More like a 42-1 dog...

So, surely, the Tokyo bout wouldn't amount to much more than a little fast food sushi for Iron Mike, to steal a line from Larry Merchant. Douglas’s mother died two weeks before the fight, the mother of his son was in the hospital with a life-threatening ailment, and James had been fighting the flue the week before his showdown with the 37-0 (33) Tyson. No wonder Vegas odds makers slated him as a 42-1 underdog.

link.
Old 11-07-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Off topic, but a good read for anyone that is interested...
http://www.gamblingonlinemagazine.co...?articleID=323
Old 11-07-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thelwig, can't get that link to work...
Old 11-07-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD talk keeps changing the URL on me and I have no idea.

Type Douglass Tyson betting lines on google and read the very first article that comes out. Great read on the business and gut feelings and such.
Old 11-07-06, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
More like a 42-1 dog...

So, surely, the Tokyo bout wouldn't amount to much more than a little fast food sushi for Iron Mike, to steal a line from Larry Merchant. Douglas’s mother died two weeks before the fight, the mother of his son was in the hospital with a life-threatening ailment, and James had been fighting the flue the week before his showdown with the 37-0 (33) Tyson. No wonder Vegas odds makers slated him as a 42-1 underdog.

link.
They're refferring to his record I believe, not the odds.
Old 11-07-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also for some reason, they cut out the first round of the Douglas fight, and just talk over it (they being the ESPN guys, not the original announcers)
Old 11-07-06, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish they would release the Beyond The Glory series on DVD. It's a great show and the 2-hour one on Tyson was unbelievable.