Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman Returns cut "Return to Krypton" sequence

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured I would make this it's own thread since the most recent SR thread is the box office one. Well saw this article on the main page over at the Hype, but the link isn't working.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/su...ws.php?id=4851

So, I checked in the boards over there and found the goods, thanks goes to Retroman. Why they wouldn't include this sequence in the movie is beyond me. And this better be included as a deleted scene with the dvd.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=254664

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-30-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 11:44 AM

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts
I believe it's confirmed that this will not be included as a deleted scene in the upcoming DVD, but rather as part of a theatrical re-release of the movie sometime down the road.
Old 10-30-06, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
all that time, effort and money gone to waste.... oh well.
Old 10-30-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We will definitely see this in some form in the future.
Old 10-30-06, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
I believe it's confirmed that this will not be included as a deleted scene in the upcoming DVD, but rather as part of a theatrical re-release of the movie sometime down the road.
Yeah, i thought that too... i think that's a part of a theatircal releasse of the movie, coz i haven't seen this part when i watched the movie.
Old 10-30-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I think one of the things that most disappointed me about the movie as released was a very big deal was made about Superman "returning," but the movie itself barely touched on what he did while he was away, what he saw, why he went, etc. It felt more like a plot device than anything done for a storytelling reason.
Old 10-30-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are probably locked up in Bryan Singers personal spank collection.
Old 10-30-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
These are probably locked up in Bryan Singers personal spank collection.
haha.
Old 10-31-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
all that time, effort and money gone to waste.... oh well.
Considering the amount of money they flushed away before a frame of film was ever exposed, this is nothing.

It is a very cool looking sequence though.
Old 10-31-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The sequence is better off used in the upcoming sequel (to offset the budget for that film).
Old 10-31-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The sequence is better off used in the upcoming sequel (to offset the budget for that film).
That wouldn't be out of place at all.
Old 10-31-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
That could work if they used Superman's being at the Krypton as a reason for the sequel's villain (Brainiac perhaps?) to follow him back to Earth.
Old 10-31-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
That could work if they used Superman's being at the Krypton as a reason for the sequel's villain (Brainiac perhaps?) to follow him back to Earth.
I think from the previous Superman Returns thread, I had mentioned that the easiest way to re-insert the footage of the Krypton visit is to include it, and then have the reveal being that Superman was being observed by Braniac, and he follows Superman to earth due to some form of prime directive his programming entails when it comes to dealing with certain beings of Kryptonian heritage (House of El), and that would not only involve Superman, but also the munchkin. Having Braniac target Jason is how you could have Richard sacrifice himself to save Jason (although Richard might still not know that Jason has similar super powers, albeit on a lesser scale, but enough invulnerability to ward off the initial attack, but Richard wouldn't know, and dies trying to save Jason, anyway). Save Zod for the 3rd installment (have it be revealed that it was Zod who had Braniac constructed and he shows up after following Braniac to earth but showing up after Superman has dealt with Braniac in a battle royale, or gets released from the Phantom Zone after their battle).
Old 10-31-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
I think from the previous Superman Returns thread, I had mentioned that the easiest way to re-insert the footage of the Krypton visit is to include it, and then have the reveal being that Superman was being observed by Braniac, and he follows Superman to earth due to some form of prime directive his programming entails when it comes to dealing with certain beings of Kryptonian heritage (House of El), and that would not only involve Superman, but also the munchkin. Having Braniac target Jason is how you could have Richard sacrifice himself to save Jason (although Richard might still not know that Jason has similar super powers, albeit on a lesser scale, but enough invulnerability to ward off the initial attack, but Richard wouldn't know, and dies trying to save Jason, anyway). Save Zod for the 3rd installment (have it be revealed that it was Zod who had Braniac constructed and he shows up after following Braniac to earth but showing up after Superman has dealt with Braniac in a battle royale, or gets released from the Phantom Zone after their battle).
Nice to see we're on the same page with the Brainiac scenario. And you're idea for a Zod intro is inspired.

Although I don't dislike Richard so I'm not cool with killing him off. Your idea makes perfect sense and it does leave the door open for Superman (or, better yet, Clark) to get back with Lois but the one thing I really like from Superman Returns is that, although Lois still had feeling for Supes, she chose Richard over him. It really helped to futher isolate Superman.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-31-06 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I wish they kept it in.
Old 11-02-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I thought they couldn't make that movie feel any longer.