Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I need help from professional PS2 owners...?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 11:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I am finally going to upgrade my children from our old Nintendo 64 console to the PS2 (because I can't afford the PS3 madness and don't want to wait for it to calm down to a more reasonable price). I have considered X-Box and Nintendo Wii but ultimately decided on the PS2. I know nothing about the system...at all...so I need some help, please!

My first question is...I have 3 children (4 if you count my husband ) so what extras do you recommend I get with the console for multiple players?

Next, do I need these memory sticks and if so, how many?

Finally, what am I forgetting to ask? LOL

Thank you in advance!
kindest reagrds,
Galina
Old 10-30-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be ok with one memory stick I think?

Check out ebay for tons of very cheap ps2 stuff nowadays, including lots of games for a few bucks.
Old 10-30-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You should probably get a Multitap to support 4 players. This of course would require purchasing additional controllers. The PS2 doesn't use Memory Sticks, it uses Memory Cards specific to the PlayStation 2. Only 1 Memory Card is necessary to save games.
Old 10-30-06, 12:54 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by Kimiakane
Hello all!

I am finally going to upgrade my children from our old Nintendo 64 console to the PS2 (because I can't afford the PS3 madness and don't want to wait for it to calm down to a more reasonable price). I have considered X-Box and Nintendo Wii but ultimately decided on the PS2. I know nothing about the system...at all...so I need some help, please!

My first question is...I have 3 children (4 if you count my husband ) so what extras do you recommend I get with the console for multiple players?

Thank you in advance!
kindest reagrds,
Galina
Well, as far as the multiplayer thing goes you definitely need the multi-tap. The console itself only supports two players without the peripheral.

One memory card should definitely be enough (i know it has been for me) but if you have your kids all playing different games it may not be a bad idea to have more than one.

I guess the only other question you might have is what to get for games?

Find out what your family likes to play and be an active parent in watching what they are playing. Don't be one of those parents that goes out to get GTA for your 6 year old just because they want to play it (a lady at my work did that for her 9 year old - I wanted to slap her). There are plenty of kid/family friend games for the console.

What kind of games did you have for the n64? No thoughts about getting a GameCube? That system comes with 4-player capability and a lot of established franchises and multiplayer-centric software.
Old 10-30-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
For the memory cards, it also sort of depends on what kind of games you're going to be playing and how many kids you have.

One memory card will hold 8MB, and the amount of memory games use varies from around 30k to 2000k, depending on the game. (I believe that sports-type games use more memory than shooters or fighting games.)

The Sony cards run $25 each, or you can pick up a two-pack of red and blue for $35-$40. It might not be a bad idea to give each kid their own memory card.
Old 10-30-06, 09:02 AM

how old are your kids? i would definitely recommend getting an eyetoy and games. you should be able to get the newest eyetoy play 2 at blockbuster/gamerush's for $14.99. It retails for $50 everywhere else. And don't forget that the PS2 is backwards compatible, so you can also play PS1 games on it. If you can find them, they'll be cheap.
Old 10-30-06, 09:33 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

The PS2 is a great system. But if your children enjoyed the N64, the Gamecube would probably be a better upgrade. The game library is certainly geared more toward multiple players than the PS2 and it's already has 4 controller ports. Ebay has some great deals on a Cube with 4 controllers and usually a variety of multiplayer titles.
Old 10-30-06, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Hello all!

Thank you in advance!
kindest reagrds,
Galina
I think the question you need to ask yourself is why you decided on the PS2 if you know nothing about the system?
Old 10-30-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd comment but I'm just an amature PS2 owner.
Old 10-30-06, 11:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with the recommendations that you consider a Gamecube. It sounds like it's more in line with what you're looking for, especially for 4 player party-type games. PS2 just doesn't have as many of those titles, as a lot of its multiplayer games are geared towards online (and the 4 player option isn't native to the core system).
Old 10-30-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Another Gamecube recommendation here. We own a PS2, and my wife and I play Final Fantasy XI together (she's on the PC), and we have it for the RPGs, but last week we had some friends/family over and it was all about Mario Kart DoubleDash on the Gamecube. Despite it's reputation, it's got a big library with a lot of shared titles with the PS2 and Xbox, so it's not all a Barney and Barbie garbage either.
Old 10-30-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say expanding your options to include the Gamecube and the Xbox wouldn't be a bad idea. There's a few games that are on the PS2 that are not on other systems (and vice versa). It may depend on which game you want to try.

I'd consider the Xbox as well although Gamecube might be a good route as well.

I think you'll do fine with any system... perhaps tell us of what you considered since you admit you don't know much about the system?
Old 10-30-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I think the PS2 is a great system, I would also recommend a GameCube instead for what it seems like you need. Either way, just make sure to only use licensed memory cards, controllers, etc.

Last edited by Gideon68; 10-30-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 08:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow! A LOT of really great advice, thank you!!! The reason I was considering the PS2 is that it was the recommended system by most of my co-workers and my husband's as well. Naturally it wasn't a universal recommendation but it was what we heard the most.

My husband and my children are big fans of DC Comics and Marvel Comics. We have numerous N64 games but the favorite 4 they play is SPIDER-MAN, HERCULES, SUPERMAN & BATMAN. Even my daughter enjoys those (I think because her Daddy & Brothers do) as well. I have heard that the PS2 has the better super-hero games and we do have a cable modem in the same room as our current console (although not connected to the N64 naturally).
Old 10-30-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

most of the superhero games available for the ps2 are also on the gamecube so I concur with the other people who recommend getting the gamecube
Old 10-30-06, 08:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jagshemash. I am professional video machines player. In my Kazakh home town we have game called Goatenzinglig, where you must collect goats and put them in pen. Man who puts most goats can pick sexiest goat for making romance! Here in United States I play PS2 much good!!!! It is super awesomes!!! Dzienkuje
Old 10-31-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamezuva
most of the superhero games available for the ps2 are also on the gamecube so I concur with the other people who recommend getting the gamecube
Although Justice League and Marvel Ultimate Alliance make me think a PS2 or XBox would be a better way to go.
Old 10-31-06, 09:42 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

One thing to keep in mind too with the Gamecube is that you can get the attachment that lets you play Gameboy games on it. That expands the possibilities even more so; especially for the kids. If I wasn't a game-addict and I had kids that wanted to play games I'd most likely get the GameCube.

Being the addict that I am though, I tend to get every console.
Old 10-31-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have considered X-Box and Nintendo Wii but ultimately decided on the PS2. I know nothing about the system...at all
Please describe in detail your decision-making process.

I think your kids would have fun with a Wii (maybe all of you would), but with its extensive Greatest Hits library (popular games for $19.99) the PS2 is also a good choice. However, Wii is a new system, so they can get games as they come out for birthdays or Christmas and talk about them with their friends.

If you get a system that needs memory cards, get official memory cards made by the console manufacturer only (Sony, Nintendo, etc.). They're a bit more expensive, but there's nothing worse than investing dozens of hours into something and then having the memory card fail. You probably only need one card, unless they play a lot of sports games, in which you'll need more (2-3, depending).

I also prefer first-party controllers, as well. They are generally of higher quality than third-party ones.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-31-06 at 10:49 PM.