Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Question about Borders in-store sale pricing

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-27-06, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, but for anyone who work/ed at a Borders store, is there any system for how they price new DVD releases? Is it possible that they would sell a new releases for more than MSRP? How do they decide what new releases will be discounted?

I ask because I was looking at the Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collection, which bordersstores.com listed as $99.99 (with a 30% discount plus a 10% off PSD, comes out to $63, not bad). When I called my local store to get a price, they said it was $119.99, even though all the major retail websites list the msrp at ~$99.95. Is this possible?
Old 10-27-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, it does stand for Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price

Have you pointed it out to a CSR in-store? They may be willing to make a price adjustement.
Old 10-27-06, 12:40 PM

All online Borders prices are supplied by amazon.com. Brick & mortar stores run their own prices, hence why if you pick "in-store pickup" when you shop Borders online, you're gonna pay the same price for what it sells for in the store.

So, you want a cheap price ? Order it online.
Need it right now & don't care about paying extra ? Go to the store.
Old 10-27-06, 12:42 PM

Oh, and all Borders coupons go towards MSRP, never the sale price or online price.
Old 10-27-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fliggil
I ask because I was looking at the Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Collection, which bordersstores.com listed as $99.99 (with a 30% discount plus a 10% off PSD, comes out to $63, not bad). When I called my local store to get a price, they said it was $119.99, even though all the major retail websites list the msrp at ~$99.95. Is this possible?
The B&M should honor the $99.99 list price as indicated on bordersstores.com. In fact, you should be able to print that page out from their instore kiosk and bring it to the cashier. FangsFirst (a Borders employee) may be able to provide more input on this.
Old 10-27-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Satchmo
Oh, and all Borders coupons go towards MSRP, never the sale price or online price.
Unless it's a $ off $ coupon, in which case it can be used. (Such as the $10 off $35).

My problem is that for the A&R Ultimate Collection, $99.95 should be the MSRP price, and I'd have no problem using the suggested coupons like I mentioned in my original post. I would find it odd if $99.95 was considered the sale price, when it actually is MSRP. I find for the most part that Borders sells at MSRP, which is why this particular case of the store saying it was $20 over kind of perplexed me.
Old 10-27-06, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Borders price is the one stated on www.borderstores.com , which is usually the MSRP or the sale price for the item. i have never seen an item on a Borders store go over the MSRP. The person who gave you the price by phone must have been mistaken.
Old 10-27-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Have you pointed it out to a CSR in-store? They may be willing to make a price adjustement.
Heh, don't bother the CSR!
(CSRs for us are *Corporate* Service Representatives...or possibly other things for the last two letters, but definitely corporate)
Originally Posted by bhauge
The B&M should honor the $99.99 list price as indicated on bordersstores.com. In fact, you should be able to print that page out from their instore kiosk and bring it to the cashier. FangsFirst (a Borders employee) may be able to provide more input on this.
Yes, if you can show us where on *OUR* systems, it is listed that way we should honor it.
Heck, I've gotten my GM to do it for me.
But regardless, I *almost* think that it IS 99.99 and dx23 is right--mistaken phone call.

It is also possible our stickers were mis-printed, and that's where we keep the price.

And just to reaffirm, yes, we start everything at current MSRP. Never above.