Old 10-25-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Larry King, what did Trump say...

about firing Carolyn?
Old 10-26-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I was actually wondering about this as well.
Old 10-26-06, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...15/lkl.01.html
Old 10-26-06, 09:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He said "She wasn't hot, like my daughter. So I let her go."
Old 10-26-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is the section of interest:

KING: Your decision to fire Carolyn Kepcher, why?

TRUMP: Well, Carolyn is a very nice person and she ran one of my golf clubs and it's a terrific club, Trump National in Westchester. And, she did a good job. But when she went on "The Apprentice" and then "The Apprentice," as you know, became the number one show on television and she became a star and I became a star. We all became stars, everybody, and George Ross became a star. You know George walks down the street and...

KING: Yes, people know him.

TRUMP: ...20-year-old women are screaming "George, George." They're going crazy.

KING: So what -- what...

TRUMP: But the difference is, well the difference is with George it rolls off his back. He's been there. He's a hardened veteran. Carolyn loves being a star and you can't be a star and run something in terms of a business in my opinion.

KING: But you're a star and run something.

TRUMP: Well, I run it and I run it differently. I have two businesses, you know. Star is part of my business. But, Carolyn if I said, you know, "What's the price of the belts," it was like, you know, belts? Now, with all of that being said I like Carolyn. I would help Carolyn. I hope she gets something good. But it was just time for her to go.

KING: You mean having this star effect affected her work? She was less good at what she did?

TRUMP: Well, I think she was much less good at what she did and she loved being a star and I think that's great. In other words, I'm not complaining about that. I think that's great. But it can't be for me.

I mean if she wants to continue to be on television, and this happens a lot in "The Apprentice," you know, people legitimately want to work for me and all of a sudden they're on television and now it's like "We really want to go into the movies, Mr. Trump, the hell with real estate," right?

So, that's happened to a couple of the winners of "The Apprentice." They got so enamored with that beautiful camera right over there that that was much more important to them than doing a job.

KING: She wrote a bestseller or a book called "Carolyn 101." There were some who thought, maybe critics of you, that you were jealous of her."

TRUMP: No, I was not jealous of Carolyn at all. Carolyn ran a small country club for me and she did nicely on "The Apprentice" and so did George. I mean they did great. The show became this great success. But I have to have people that during the day are doing a different job. And, I don't blame Carolyn because I fully understand how that happens. It would happen to many people.

KING: Yes, sure.

TRUMP: But, look, I wish her the best.

KING: Have you heard from her?

TRUMP: I have.

KING: And?

TRUMP: Well, nothing, I just wish her well. I'll give her references. I'll give her recommendations. I wish her well.

KING: Your once good old pal Martha Stewart, who you defended strongly on this program in the past...

TRUMP: Many, many times.

KING: ...criticized you for getting rid of her and she told Access Hollywood that you are out of control.

TRUMP: Well that's not exactly. Why don't you read the full quote? I mean give me a break, Larry.

KING: That's all I've got is that part.

TRUMP: Well, you have very terrible research. I'm shocked at you. But she said "I'll be sitting on a pedestal all by my lonely self" and that's fine. But, you know, Martha is another (INAUDIBLE).

KING: But that's not -- that's not an absurd thing. Do you want me to read the whole quote like that? You're on a pedestal. OK, go ahead.

TRUMP: No, I'd just like you to be accurate. You know I love your (INAUDIBLE).

KING: It's not inaccurate, OK, never mind.

TRUMP: Semi inaccurate. So, Larry, so Martha did a show called "The Apprentice." I was not in favor of it. NBC wanted it very much and Mark wanted it, Mark Burnett wanted it. I thought it would not be successful and I thought it was bad for "The Apprentice" and we were at the number one position and all of that.

So, she did a show. She just came out of the can. She goes on the show and shockingly nobody watched. It was a total failure and it was a critical failure too. I mean people thought it was horrible. Her performance was horrible, everything.

The show failed and she blamed me. She blamed me because her show failed. So, I didn't mind at first but after about the ninth time of listening to it, I wrote a letter and somehow the letter, people started hearing about this letter and they got the letter and it was very critical of Martha but you know...

KING: So you think she's just retaliating?

TRUMP: Well, I don't know if she's retaliating. How do you retaliate? She does "The Apprentice" and her version of "The Apprentice" failed. I did "The Apprentice" and my version of "The Apprentice" became the number one show on television. She shouldn't hold that against me but she blamed me because it failed.

KING: Is she a friend of Carolyn?

TRUMP: No, not at all.
Old 10-26-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually watched this, and he sounded pretty sincere about the entire thing.
Old 10-26-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRUMP: Well, I run it and I run it differently. I have two businesses, you know. Star is part of my business. But, Carolyn if I said, you know, "What's the price of the belts," it was like, you know, belts?
What in the hell does that mean?
Old 10-26-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Did she ever run one of Trump's golf clubs?
Old 10-26-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

I was just about to ask the same thing. WTH?
Old 10-26-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think Trump was saying it's part of his job to be a "celebrity" for the Trump organization, it wasn't part of Carolyn's job. He seems to be saying that she got so wrapped up in being a celebrity, that she wasn't keeping up with her daily duties...and when he'd go ask her a business-related question, she couldn't give him an answer.

That's my take on his reply, anyway.
Old 10-26-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
What he meant to say was that eventually he would go to Carolyn and ask for basic product information and she would not be able to provide it because she was too busy being a star.
Old 10-27-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Follow-up question: when did Trump start selling belts?
Old 10-27-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's talking about the pro shop at the golf club she was supposed to be running for him.
Old 10-27-06, 11:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

That Carolyn is HOT! She's got a big future on tv.

Dumb blondie.
Old 10-28-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow-up question: when did Trump start selling belts?
Well, it's like, you know, if he said "We're like, you know, going to, you know, start selling belts", then like, you know, like then he's like selling belts. You know.
Old 10-28-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Follow-up follow-up question: Has moving the next season of The Apprentice to California caused Trump to begin talking like a Valley Girl?
Old 10-28-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have always hated Carolyn. I am glad she is off the show. I think she's a super bitch but try to conceal her true bitchness on TV.
Old 10-30-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What Carolyn needs is some discipline. Yeah. Discipline.