Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com: Worst Online Shopping Experience Ever

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Does this company go out of its way to piss off their customers?

I ordered Grease: The Rockin' Rydell Edition from them, and mine showed up in just the keepcase, without the "mini leather jacket" which is both clearly pictured and described on their website:

"The Rockin' Rydell Edition comes in deluxe leather jacket packaging and includes all-new special bonus features!"

After exchanging several e-mails with their "Customer Service" they clearly didn't "get" what I was trying to have fixed, so instead of researching the issue, or just giving me a refund and letting me keep the disc, they told me:

"We do not have the additional information to assist you therefore, we request you to contact the manufacturer."

Contact the manufacturer????? You've got to be kidding......how would the manufacturer help me???? Finally, all they could offer me was an RMA#, so I asked them to send me a pre-paid shipping label to which they responded:

"According to our return guidelines, we are unable to issue you a pre-paid shipping label for the return shipping charges of a "Non-Defective item"

Excuse me???? They send me something materially different from what they advertise, and it's my responsibility to pay for shipping????? Bear in mind, it takes 48 hours to get a response to each e-mail I send them, and each one fails to even come close to addressing my concern. Their website has no live support, and there is no phone number anywhere to call and talk to a live person.

This has been, without a doubt, the most frustrating shopping experience I have ever had with an online merchant. I will never order from this company again, and I would urge others to do the same.
Old 10-25-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That SUCKS... &

Sorry to hear it.
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Their website has no live support, and there is no phone number anywhere to call and talk to a live person.
Try this Buy.com Customer Service # 877-780-2464. (24/7)

I called the 800-800-0800 order number and spoke to a Buy.com dude who gave me the customer service number.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT: Even though it took something like "30" minutes ( ), I actually got through to a real, 'LIVE' customer service rep!

Hope this helps,

-Tek!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-25-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gave up on buy.com back in the day express.com was still a viable online store (for long time DVD buyers, that should give you a good idea of the time frame here). Buy.com has been always the worst online experience I have ever had. I found it unbelievable when express.com went under and several other good online stores were folding up shop and buy.com continued to survive, and still survives to this day. It's refreshing to hear they haven't changed their piss poor customer service ways so at least I know I haven't missed out on anything not ordering from them over the past several years.
Old 10-25-06, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks, I got the wrong items but just filed the RMA thing online saying it was the wrong item and that was that.

You should have just said it was the wrong item, which it is. Send it back and hopefully you would have gotten the correct one.

If you still got the wrong one you could just buy the one with the leather jacket at say Wal-Mart or Best Buy, and return the one without the leather jacket to the store and get your money back.
Old 10-25-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Digital Groove
That sucks, I got the wrong items but just filed the RMA thing online saying it was the wrong item and that was that.
Hmmm, I didn't know that was an option, I may look into that, thanks.
Originally Posted by Digital Groove
You should have just said it was the wrong item, which it is. Send it back and hopefully you would have gotten the correct one.

If you still got the wrong one you could just buy the one with the leather jacket at say Wal-Mart or Best Buy, and return the one without the leather jacket to the store and get your money back.
I didn't know this title shipped without the leather jacket. I tried to get Buy.com's Customer Shaft to check with their warehouse to see if they carried the one with the leather jacket. That's when they told me to contact the manufacturer.
Old 10-25-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Buy.com has been always the worst online experience I have ever had. I found it unbelievable when express.com went under and several other good online stores were folding up shop and buy.com continued to survive, and still survives to this day.
I have to say that Overstock.com has always had great customer service. They have the "live chat" feature. They always go out of their way to make it right whether or not it's their fault.

I will be deleting Buy.com from my DVD Favorites links once this episode is closed, and ending my affiliation with them.
Old 10-26-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I will give you the same advice I give my Fatwallet friends:

Stop let stores fool around with your money. Give them an opportunity to correct, and when satisfaction is not forthcoming, challenge the charge. A simple "I have attempted resolution with the merchant and they are refusing to accomodate" is enough. That's the only way to deal with companies like this.
Old 10-26-06, 12:57 PM

Yes, challenge the charge on your credit-card statement, and include a copy of your e-mail exchange and a copy of the item description in your challenge that you mail to your cc company. The cc companies ALWAYS side with the customer if the merchant does not have ironclad proof that they delivered what was promised.
Old 10-26-06, 04:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy sucks. If you get what you want and charged right then you can get some good deals, but if you have any kind of problem, they are a nightmare to deal with.
Old 10-27-06, 09:20 AM

I have had nothing but great experiences with Buy.com.
I have bought many things the last couple of years and got some great deals.
Never with any problems.
Old 10-27-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RM811
I have had nothing but great experiences with Buy.com.
I have bought many things the last couple of years and got some great deals.
Never with any problems.
Yea, I would say the same thing too. I never had any problems up until now. The first discrepancy with an order I had, and it's been like dealing with a brick wall.
Old 11-01-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered an Omnimount item from the several weeks ago, they billed me and took my order. The next week, under status it said in progress. I then got an email saying the item was out of stock, but they would not bill me until it was shipped, all though I was already billed as I saw it on my Credit Card statement. The next week it was in stock, they gave me a tracking number, I tried to track the package but the # did not match my last name/phone number. Finally a week later today it arrived. I will never order from them again.
Old 11-01-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by M2theAX
I then got an email saying the item was out of stock, but they would not bill me until it was shipped, all though I was already billed as I saw it on my Credit Card statement
Did the charge actually go through on your credit card or was it just a hold? I know a lot of people that freak out, thinking that they got double charged for an order when one of the charges was just a hold.

Anywho, Buy is another site that is quite good if there are no problems with your order. If there is a problem, their customer service can be rather messy. Fortunately for me, I just received an order that I placed less than a week ago and all is well.
Old 11-01-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well It appeared on my online statement and I just paid it off anyway. Honestly though I was in no rush to receive the item, I really wont have time to mount it soon, but still the delay was frustrating.
Old 11-01-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Although I haven't received it yet, Buy.com did ship out my MI:IM HD-DVD box set out promptly. Best experience I've had with them thus far.
Old 11-01-06, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty unhappy with them. My Newsradio sets took 2 weeks after shipping. Fine, a little annoying, but no big deal. Then I ordered some books, noticed they applied $6 of shipping costs at the google checkout screen (even though the previous screen showed I should receive free shipping) as I pressed the button to order. I cancelled it via google checkout six minutes later, still got charged the next morning, sent another e-mail to cancel and was informed the books had shipped out already.

I'm still arguing with them via e-mail and it's been pretty frustrating. They say I either have to refuse shipment, which means I have to sit by my mailbox until it arrives, or return them and potentially have to eat the shipping fees.

Dealing with buy.com makes me love Amazon.
Old 11-01-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cornyt
They say I either have to refuse shipment, which means I have to sit by my mailbox until it arrives, or return them and potentially have to eat the shipping fees.
No, no, all you have to do is write "REFUSED" on the outside of the package, and drop it in a mailbox. It will get returned to them at no cost to you.
Old 11-01-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not heard good things about their customer service, but their prices are often very good...

For what it's worth, I just picked up a new digital camera and memory card from them a couple weeks ago, came without any problems. Canon a540, nice little camera.
Old 11-02-06, 11:03 AM

No, no, all you have to do is write "REFUSED" on the outside of the package, and drop it in a mailbox. It will get returned to them at no cost to you.
Wow, is that true? Thanks, the customer service representatives e-mail was very unclear about this.

He wrote:

- You may refuse shipment for a full refund, in which case the carrier will return the product to us at our cost.
- If you are unable to refuse the package, you may return the product for a refund. In this case you might not be automatically credited for your shipping costs

Only wondering, if I can just write "Refused" on it, in what case would I be unable to refuse the package?

I know this isn't a big deal but for some reason this transaction and the shipping fee is bugging me...

Last edited by cornyt; 11-02-06 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-02-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cornyt
Only wondering, if I can just write "Refused" on it, in what case would I be unable to refuse the package?

I know this isn't a big deal but for some reason this transaction and the shipping fee is bugging me...
Yes, I've done it before many times with xxxxxx of the month club stuff I've forgotten to decline.

Damn right it should be bugging you. One screen says free shipping and then they try and charge you? That's BS. Their customer service does suck, but if you get on the phone and explain yourself (slowly) they will give you what you are looking for.

For me, it's a lesson learned: I will Buy.com no more!
Old 11-02-06, 10:15 PM

Damn right it should be bugging you. One screen says free shipping and then they try and charge you? That's BS. Their customer service does suck, but if you get on the phone and explain yourself (slowly) they will give you what you are looking for.

For me, it's a lesson learned: I will Buy.com no more!
Thanks a lot! You've been a great help.
Old 11-03-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are returning anything to them, I'd spend an extra $1.40 and get delivery confirmation. I returned a cd last year. They claimed they never received it. Since I don't have any kind of proof of delivery, I'm out of luck. This is the only online retailer that I've ever had this experience with.
Old 11-03-06, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
If you are returning anything to them, I'd spend an extra $1.40 and get delivery confirmation.
DC is only .60 for anything but Priority and Priority is .50.
Old 11-03-06, 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. I'll probably talk to my credit card company about contesting the charge and never shop with buy.com again. Like previous posters said, this is the first time an order with them has had any form of dispute, and I've found their customer service to be abysmal.

Last edited by cornyt; 11-03-06 at 02:25 PM.