Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/21/06 - (H) John C. Reilly (M) My Chemical Romance

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 10:25 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
SNL 10/21/06 - (H) John C. Reilly (M) My Chemical Romance

I'm going to be outta town for the next little bit so I figured I'd start this thread now, and y'all can bump it up on Saturday.

Rumors have it that Will Ferrell will make an appearance in a sketch.

And if you've caught the promo, they are using the A-Holes (Sudekis/Wiig), so maybe we'll see a sketch with them this week.

Anyways, I'm hoping that this one will be a good one.

<hr>

Season 32 so far...
09/30/06 - (H) Dane Cook (M) The Killers
10/07/06 - (H) Jaime Pressly (M) Corinne Bailey Rae
10/21/06 - (H) John C. Reilly (M) My Chemical Romance
10/28/06 - (H) Hugh Laurie (M) Beck
11/04/06 - The Best of Darrell Hammond
11/11/06 - (H) Alec Baldwin (M) Christina Aguilera
11/18/06 - (H) Ludacris (M) Ludacris

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-19-06 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 10:26 PM

Oh, Rob Riggle is a new correspondent on "The Daily Show"... his first piece is on YouTube already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-V9jvd9uHM

Old 10-19-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If last week's South Park thread is any indication, this thread will be locked, and then unlocked again on Saturday.
Old 10-21-06, 08:38 AM

Okay... it's Saturday.
Old 10-21-06, 10:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Hammond's in one sketch a week, you'd think he could do it without reading all his lines off of the cards.

Last edited by MrX; 10-22-06 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Ferrell is here to save SNL.
Old 10-21-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'I have an erection.'
Old 10-21-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Will Ferrell is here to save SNL.
Least the monologue was good
Old 10-21-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And then they pimped Ferrel's new movie in the commercial break...coincidence...
Old 10-21-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They shouldn't have let Ferrell on SNL tonight. It just shined a great big light down on the show, revealing just how great it once was, and how blah it is now.

I'm giving this episode a chance though.
Old 10-21-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Excuse me, I got to adjust my penis." That swimming skit had to be one of the more homo-erotic skits ever on SNL.
Old 10-21-06, 11:41 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Harpoon Man got a chuckle out of me toward the end.
Old 10-22-06, 12:01 AM

Cold Opening: Hammond does a decent Brit Hume impression. Forte does his terrible Bush impression again. It is not as annoying as usual, but only because he doesn’t say much. Yet another bad opening.

Monologue: John C. Reilly talks about how he isn’t well know despite appearing in a large number of films. Will Ferrell shows up as James Lipton to dispute this claim but apparently has Reilly confused with a number of other actors, including Renee Zellweger. They end with a duet. First good monologue of the season.

Colonial Williamsburg: Reilly is an overenthusiastic employee who uses “historically accurate” racism. Dull skit.

Swimming instructor: Reilly is a swimming instructor with some odd techniques. There is a bit of creativity in the skit, but I still didn't think it was very funny. It looked like Reilly was reading off of cue cards for the entire skit.

Kim Jong Il: Terrible skit.

Two A-Holes: The a-hole skits generally aren’t very good and this one is no exception. I would say that the audience agreed with me on this one since they are almost completely silent for most of it.
My Chemical Romance: I am not particularly impressed.

Weekend Update: Cutting edge humor with a Cheney hunting joke. For some reason, Kenan Thompson’s Flava Flav impression sounds nothing like Flava Flav.

Mexican Restaurant: This is in the running for worst skit of the season. Was there a point to this? Was there supposed to be a joke in there somewhere?

House of Carters: A skit about a crappy reality show that few have probably seen. They repeat the same joke about 5 times. Terrible.

SNL Digital Short “Harpoon Man”: Pretty bad, but still better than most of the show so far.

McMillan Family Moment: Oreo eating turns into an argument, but not a funny one.

Operation Bearshark: I am going to jump to a conclusion: the sketch was awful. For the record, Landshark is funny Bearshark is not.

McMillan Family Moment (Part 2): Same joke as part 1. Same result.

My Chemical Romance (Performance 2): I liked this song better than the first. Not bad.

McMillan Family Moment (Part 3): I guess they needed some extra filler. Same basic joke as part 1 and 2.

I am going to rate this episode as a D-. It missed an F by the smallest of margins. I would credit Will Ferrell with the save.
Old 10-22-06, 12:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I didn't think this episode was that bad.

The monolouge, swimming, two A-Holes, House of Carters, and Harpoon man all had laughs.

Looking forward to next week with Laurie hosting
Old 10-22-06, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Saturday Night Live returns tonight with Talladega Nights co-star John C. Reilly and musical guests My Chemical Romance. Will Ferrell is rumored to be making a cameo appearance. I have high hopes for tonight's show... I hope it doesn't let me down. Please don't let me down.

Cold Open: Special Report w/Brit Hume. Darrell Hammond gets a nice ovation to start, probably because they're hoping it won't be a President Bush sketch. Well guess what, it is. Boo.

Monologue: Will Ferrell shows up (hooray!) to do his James Lipton, who thinks John C. Reilly is amazing. He then proceeds to make up ridiculous facts about Reilly's filmography.

Colonial Williamsburg: Reilly's character takes his "historically accurate" job a little too seriously, and acts inappropriately towards everyone. Could have been a little better.

Next Week: Hugh Laurie and Beck. Hmmm...

Doug Frangelo: Reilly is a ridiculous swimming trainer. Totally ridiculous and yet totally hilarious.

Korean Television: Amy Poehler is doing Kim Jong-Il again. We're going to be subjected to this all year, aren't we.

Two A-holes Work Out With a Trainer: This sketch is growing on me. This one was decent enough, although I think the one from last season with Jack Black was better.

My Chemical Romance 1: You don't see many bands with a Romulan for a lead singer, so that's something. They kinda rock, but the Romulan dude scares me... so it might be a push.

Weekend Update: Several really good jokes, and Kenan's bit as Flava Flav was decent.

Drunk Girls: Reilly in drag as a really sad girl who drinks and eats too much. REALLY takes an odd turn when Fred Armisen shows up. Don't watch this one expecting jokes, but Reilly's performance in it is hilarious.

House of Carters: I've seen about 30 seconds of this actual show, which was enough to know that they pretty much got the jist of this show down. Would have worked better if it was a little shorter and maybe used as a link between two sketches.

Digital Short: Reilly is Harpoon Man. Andy Samberg is doing the Harpoon Man theme, which Harpoon Man can hear. Harpoon Man starts to get mad and hunts down and kills Samberg, who is wearing a whale costume. Meh.

McMillan Family Moment: Reilly teaches his adult son (Samberg) how to eat Oreos. Things go badly. Might have been funnier had this been done when, you know, that commerical was actually on the air.

Operation Bearshark: When the premise of this one presented itself I was worried that it would suck. It certainly didn't go in the direction I thought it would. And then Jason Sudekis comes back at the end to tell the audience that they're stupid if they don't get it. Not the best way to go... I was about to give you guys credit for being completely nonsensical, but then you got all mean.

Another McMillan Family Moment: Okay the first one was worth it to get to this one, where Reilly has brought in a Big Brother (Kenan) to teach him how to eat an Oreo. Kenan wants no part of it.

My Chemical Romance 2: These guys aren't that bad. Really. The main dude still scares me though.

Yet Another McMillan Family Moment: Well, third time wasn't the charm for this one, but they were running very short on time.

Dear Lorne, add John C. Reilly to a yearly rotation of guest hosts. The man was awesome. Not only was he forced to eat something in nearly every sketch, he never broke character, barely looked at cue cards, and didn't trip up once. The man is a pro and even better, the man is funny.

The show itself was the best of the season thus far. There was a real nonsensical feel to many of the sketches, which is a good thing. A lot of material was spot on. Let's go for two in a row SNL. Overall, a thumbs up for this one.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 10-22-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Missed the opening.

Monologue: Will Ferrell as James Lipton interviews Reilly

Ferrell is good, but not great and it ends with a weak song. Still, Ferrel pulls it out.

Racist Colonial Times employee: Reilly is an employee that really gets into his role

A good premise with almost no follow thru or punch. Here's a hint SNL: Instead of TALKING about how racist the guy is, how about you SHOW us.

Swim Instructor: Reilly plays a pompous, homoerotic swim instructor.

Worthless, and no ending. Like the "racist" skit it had a kernel of funny with them being strapped together, it was a good visual, but they don't really take it anywhere other than Reilly shifting his package once

Korean Central Television: Kim Jong-il (Amy Poehler) gives an address to NK citzens.

For some reason they decided to make Kim Jong-il's hair and glasses even smaller than real life. The "impression" is horrible, as are the jokes.

Two A-holes work out with a trainer: Reilly plays the trainer.

Wow, dead air is so funny. I had never seen these characters before, but I knew right away they must be re-occurring. The tell: nothing about them was remotely funny.

Music Act 1: My Chemical Addiction

ehh. Nothing special.

Weekend Update w/Flava Flav (good burger guy)

The only news item joke I found funny was the "free fur" item. Other than that, blah.

Flava Flav was better than I expected. I'm not a fan of good burger, but the impression was passable, if underdone, and the material wasn't horrible.

Chicks night out: Reilly as a depressed chick out with her friends

Let's put JCR in drag, then we can take a nap instead of writing material.

House of Carters Parody of the show

Never seen the show, but even so I could tell it was bad. A big hint was when it ended after 45 seconds.

Harpoon Man Reilly plays a fisherman in the big city

Started out looking like a "Falconeer" type skit, but actually turned out pretty good pre-produced bit.

McMillan Family Moment Reilly tries to teach his son how to eat Oreo cookies, but ends up cursing him out after he shows no interest.

Operation BearShark Scientist at a secret location attempt to create a bear-shark

Do you think they threw a dart to figure out which sketch to tack on the "It may look lame, but your just too dumb to get it" monologue? It could have worked on at least half the sketches.

McMillan Family Moment This time it's his 'big brother' mentee

Slightly better than the first one as Reilly does a decent rant.

Music act 2
Mercifully short.
On a positive note, Rielly's t-shirts have really convinced/inspired me to act.

McMillan Family Moment His father this time.

Worst of the bunch.

OVERALL: D. Bad, very bad. JCR acted well, no obvious cue card looks or flubs, but he didn't have any real material to work with and he didn't bring any extra funny himself. He shined in Boogie Nights as an oblivious dumb guy, but the closest he came here was the racist re-enactor. That skit had a kernel of funniness to it, but it wasn't developed at all and was very flat.
Old 10-22-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The show averages out to a C for me, and it's generous. Best show of the season so far!

I'll throw in a B+ for JCR as a host. He was good, but then again the performances aren't usually the trouble with SNL.

I don't include the musical performance in my average, because I very rarely know who they are or listen anyway.

Bush interview
Just Hume telling Bush how much he sucks and Bush agreeing. Not even as good as the usual bad Bush skits. D-

Monologue
James Lipton lathers JCR, mostly inaccurate. That part was funny, but then they fell into the same old shit monologue routine and sang. B+

Colonial WBG
Pretty funny with JCR being even more racist than colonial days. B

Swimming coach
JCR tethered to Forte was a mildly amusing visual joke, but that was about it. C+

Korean Central Television
Poehler does an okay Kim Jong Il, but there's just nothing to the skit. C

Two A-holes work out
I really like these characters, but it doesn't seem as if the audience does. B+
"I can do Shaggy. Ya know, from Scooby Doo."
"Oh yeah?"
(pause)
"Well, are you going to do it?"
"Nah."
"Okay, then.."
"Zoinks."

Weekend Update
Funny joke about Cheney shooting the lame duck presidency. Myers did a quick Matthew McConaughey impression that was pretty good. Thompson did a bit as Flavo Flav that was terrible, the bit and the impression. B

Jennifer
I guess every episode this season is going to have a WTF sketch and this is it. JCR in drag, haha, crying over her boyfriend while stuffing Mexican food in her mouth. That's the entire skit. F

House of Carter
Not really familiar with these two guys, nor have I heard of the show, but Sudeikis and Samberg were funny in their roles. B

Harpoon Man
The narrator saying bad things about Harpoon Man as HP hunts him down, and it's Samberg as a whale. Not funny at all. I guess these Digital Shorts are more miss than hit. D

Oreos
Man tries to teach son how to eat Oreos, than reacts angrily when son doesn't care. Okay, but it's not done yet. C+

BearShark
Scientists create a bearshark, they get closed down, sing a duet, and then Sudekis addresses the audience directly. They done this shit before and it really pisses me off. They are ADMITTING that the skit sucks and has no ending, so they think they're so clever by pointing it out, when all they're doing is pointing out their laziness and lack of talent as writers. Those fuckers. F-

Oreos part 2
Now, man tries to teach his Big Brother protege. Didn't we just see this? D

Oreos, part 3
Man yells at father about Oreos. I don't mind a recurring bit, but at least it make it clever and funny. This is middle school talent show level writing now. F

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 10-22-06 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, sad seeing Ferrell in the monologue. A reminder of the good days when the show was still funny. Reilly is one of the better actors they've had on here though, so he elevated the material as much as humanly possible.
Old 10-22-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ferrell, the swim instructor, and a-holes all got big laughs out of me . Reilly's a solid host.

and i still can't stand seth on weekend update... painful to watch.
Old 10-22-06, 01:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Ferrell, the swim instructor, and a-holes all got big laughs out of me . Reilly's a solid host.

and i still can't stand seth on weekend update... painful to watch.
Seth just needs to loosen up a bit, he's taking it way too seriously.

Plus, now that WU is all he does, he's all wound up for his one and only appearance in the show.
Old 10-22-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True, he does need to take that stick out of his ass.

...harpoon man was funny too by the way.
Old 10-22-06, 07:33 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I didn't tune in until midway through the A-holes sketch. Sounds like I missed most of the good stuff. I laughed at the first Oreo sketch, and there was something during the opening crawl for the Bearshark sketch that I found funny (can't remember what it was now). I also enjoyed the My Chemical Romance performances. I give the episode a D based on what I saw.
Old 10-22-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I the only one that enjoys watching Kristen Wiig chew her gum during the 2 A-Hole skits? There's something delicious about it.
Old 10-22-06, 09:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I liked Reilly's "May your God bless you" at the end and the laugh that got from the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
Old 10-22-06, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Am I the only one that enjoys watching Kristen Wiig chew her gum during the 2 A-Hole skits? There's something delicious about it.
I like that too, well I enjoy her doing anything...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.