Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Controls for Resident Evil (Re-make) and RE 4 on GC that different?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-19-06, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved RE4 as I am sure most did. And I want another horror genre game much like it.

So is the control scheme, the movement with the controller, for the original, the remake, that different from 4's?
If so, will I just need to get used to it and then it will be a ton of fun?

I remember trying it when it first came out and didn't give it enough time before I gave it up. Will it just take some getting used to?

Thanks for anything.
Old 10-19-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Isn't RE:4 free roam? RE:1 has fixed camera positions and your character is just short of being on rails, forcing you into certain situations. It's really not that bad once you get used to it, but from what I gather(never played 4) the controls are worlds apart.
Old 10-19-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually the controls are exactly the same it's just that hte games are played from two totally different perspectives. The RE remake has fixed camera angles that change constantly. The gameplay is also very different - RE remake is much harder to kill enemies.
Old 10-19-06, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Actually the controls are exactly the same it's just that hte games are played from two totally different perspectives. The RE remake has fixed camera angles that change constantly. The gameplay is also very different - RE remake is much harder to kill enemies.
is RE more 3rd person? is it auto aiming and is the movement generally much slower and clunkier than RE4?

Last edited by ShaunoftheDead; 10-19-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll get Resident Evil Box Set. I never play resident evil 0 or Resident Evil 4 on GC. I did given up on Resident Evil 1 when 1st released on PS1.
Old 10-19-06, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
I'll get Resident Evil Box Set. I never play resident evil 0 or Resident Evil 4 on GC. I did given up on Resident Evil 1 when 1st released on PS1.
Ok, that has nothing to do with this thread, but thanks for sharing.

Anyone else on controls?
Old 10-19-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
is RE more 3rd person? is it auto aiming and is the movement generally much slower and clunkier than RE4?
Third person moving around fixed backgrounds. Yes, the controls are clunky...absolutely archaic compared to RE4. Pressing up makes your character move forward regardless of where he/she is in relation to you. Left is your character's left, not your left...if you follow. It's sort of like driving a remote control car.

It sort of auto aims. You just have to point your character in the right direction.

The game has to be played in a much more deliberate...yes, slower...way.

For its time RE1 was great for its environments, graphics, and story...the gameplay was always awkward and the puzzles were positively stupid. I find it absolutely unplayable now.

The only older games that I can think of that reminds me of RE4 are the Syphon Filter series.
Old 10-19-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While the control setup may be similar, the actual control you have over aiming and moving is much, much harder on the re-make. The games really are very different. I found RE-Zero very frustrating, but I absolutely loved RE4.

If you haven't tried it, I'd suggest Eternal Darkness on GC. Next to RE4, I think that is the best horror-themed game on GC.
Old 10-19-06, 10:16 AM

Bottomline,
is it worth it for a not so great gamer who loved RE 4 and Eternal Darkness, but probably took longer than most to finish, but enjoyed the hell out of every moment and loved the controls on them, and is willing to give it another try and force feed myself through the initial awkwardness to hopefully feel comfortable and all for $9.99 (used)??
Old 10-19-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Unless you played the games on PS1 which used the same control scheme I don't think you'll be able to get used to it. I tried to go back when the remake was released and I gave up in less than an hour because the controls seemed so clunky.

As was stated above it uses 2D controls. So if your character is facing to the right and you want to go further to the right you press up to walk forward. RE4 was similar in that regard but the camera stayed behind you so it worked instead of using a static camera system. Although a great game, I'd skip it.
Old 10-19-06, 11:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never gotten the hatred for the classic RE controls. I find them a lot easier to use than the controls in games like Devil May Cry or Clock Tower 3... where I find myself veering in the wrong direction after the camera changed. And the RE controls were more improved by the time they got to RE: Outbreak File 2, which had innovations that even RE4 was missing, like the ability to walk and shoot at the same time. As much as I liked RE4, I felt it was missing that "controlling a movie" feel that drew me into the RE series. It just felt more like a traditional game, albeit an excellent one.
Old 10-19-06, 07:07 PM

Bottomline,
is it worth it for a not so great gamer who loved RE 4 and Eternal Darkness, but probably took longer than most to finish, but enjoyed the hell out of every moment and loved the controls on them, and is willing to give it another try and force feed myself through the initial awkwardness to hopefully feel comfortable and all for $9.99 (used)??
If you like horror type games, and judging from your name it looks like you do, then you need to get all the RE remakes for the Cube. They're awesome! And cheap now too, so definitely worth a try. There's a slight learning curve but nothing too bad once you get used to the control scheme (hint: choose control type C on Resident Evil 1 remake). The game is a bit more difficult than RE4, but very rewarding to see whats in that next room .
Old 10-19-06, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is more differences between REmake and RE4 than controls. REmake is a true survival horror game while RE4 is an action game. RE4 had massive amounts of ammo and you could waste a lot of it and still have more than enough to kill everything in the game. If you do that in REmake though, you will run out of ammo very very quickly. Ammo is very scarce in REmake, so you will only want to kill enemies when absolutely neccessary (ie a zombie in a wide open room is easy to dodge but a zombie in a narrow corridor isn't). REmake is very scary/tense too. RE4 had no scares at all other than "oven man".
Old 10-19-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bottomline,
You know what...despite what I said in my earlier post...I do think that the first RE is a classic game. It pioneered the, as somebody above said, playing a movie genre along with Metal Gear and Tomb Raider. If you've never played it, and you like the genre (horror or cinema), it's easily worth ten bucks.

In fact, part of it's clunky charm is the forced cinematic camera angles, many of which add to the drama because you just can't see around that next corner. I can't even describe the tension of playing RE the first time through, especially since I saved rarely (finished the game with a ton of ribbons). The other advantage of those camera angles was that the backgrounds were prerendered, which made the graphics gorgeous for their time

I played through the original and RE2 (first half anyway) on the original playstation and sold them at some point...somewhat regretting it later. I picked up REmake for $10-15 last year, but I honestly just couldn't get into again because of the controls. Same goes for the first Metal Gear Solid.
Old 10-19-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of tempted to fire REmake up.
Old 10-19-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope...still not doing it for me.

Heck, you can have my copy for $10 shipped if you want to shoot me an email. I'm a gold trader, and it's mint and complete. Ship from TX if that matters.
Old 10-19-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you want my honest opinion as a gamer, if you really enjoyed RE4 that much, don't bother with the original. It's just going to frustrate you. You see, RE4 fixed everything that people hated about the Resident Evil series for years. The controls are the same, but they work better in RE4. There's also a shortage of ammo and healing items. Most frustrating of all, your inventory is strictly limited with the number of items you can carry - you can only carry 6-8 items at a time, and each slot is taken up no matter how big/small the items are - and this includes "special" items like keys and such, which aren't a part of your inventory in RE4. So there you have it - just stay away and enjoy RE4 =)
Old 10-20-06, 07:38 AM

so this save situation...is it very scarce. i like to save often as i like to play in spurts...is that not at all possible with Re-make?
Old 10-20-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Nope. The save points are spread throughout the mansion forcing you to backtrack a bunch. Not very friendly for people that like to play in "spurts."
Old 10-20-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You get ribbons just like in RE4, but I think less of them.

It only serves to add to the tension, which is the point of the game, but yeah, it's also frustrating. My routine is generally to play until I die...and then redo whatever I just did, saving just before the spot where I died.

And as someone else mentioned, you simply don't get to carry enough stuff.
Old 10-20-06, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so this save situation...is it very scarce. i like to save often as i like to play in spurts...is that not at all possible with Re-make?
It is similar to RE4 in that you can only save at the typewriter save points. REmake is pretty short; you can beat it in 6 hours or so your first time through. There are plenty of ink ribbons in the game, so you can save once every 10-15 minutes if you really want. It isn't like some games where there is an hour between save points. There's already a lot of backtracking in the game, so I don't think saving frequently will really add that much more backtracking. Probably two-thirds of the game involves running back and forth throughout the starting mansion

Originally Posted by chess
You get ribbons just like in RE4, but I think less of them.

It's been a while since I played RE4, but I sure don't remember the ink ribbons being in RE4.
Old 10-20-06, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There weren't any ribbons in RE4. You could save at any typewriter. No ribbons required.
Old 10-20-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It's been a while since I played RE4, but I sure don't remember the ink ribbons being in RE4.
You're probably right. I honestly can't remember now...but either way, saving was never an issue in RE4 like it was in RE.
Old 10-20-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
There weren't any ribbons in RE4. You could save at any typewriter. No ribbons required.
Amazing...I think I played through RE4 5-6 times, and I forgot that there were no ribbons.
Old 10-20-06, 02:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
You're probably right. I honestly can't remember now...but either way, saving was never an issue in RE4 like it was in RE.
Well, I'm a gamesave whore (I'll save at the first chance I get after even the most minor of accomplishments) and I still had craploads of ribbons left in RE1/REmake. Of course, I also hoard and grab everything I find, even if I don't need it.