Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

New Blockbuster Online program?!?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was just in my local Blockbuster gettting my free in-store movie and the guy asks me if I like the Online stuff...
I say "yeah"...
he say's "Well, it's about to get a WHOLE lot better!"...
Of course, I took the bait... "What do you mean"...

Long story short...
Supposedly, starting Monday, you will be able to
1) Return your "mailer" DVD's to the B&M Store for "instant" return credit for the next one to be mailed out to you.
2) Return your "mailer" DVD's to the B&M Store for an "exchange" for one off the shelf...

Basically, he said BB is finally going to take advantage of it's 50,000 B&M stores inventory to battle it out with Netflix...

Seems kinda cool... mailed DVD's would be cut down to 1-2 day lead time since you don't have to mail 'em back... and you could essentially get your new releases on Tue if you take the mailer into the store and swap it out...

He called it Extreme Access or something corny like that...

I couldn't find any info on it... so I thought I would throw it out there to the masses and see what come's of it...
Old 10-18-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope there's no markup in the fee, whether it be for existing or new users.
Old 10-18-06, 09:22 PM

I found this...
The last post. (by John)

"I am a Blockbuster manager and we just had a meeting about the new Blockbuster Online features, launching this month.

Among the new changes include: The ability to return online rentals to the store. While it seems pointless to drive to a store to have us mail the DVDs, this does clear your queue immediately versus the 1-3 days ship time and allows your next DVD to be shipped immediately.

In addition, for every single Blockbuster Online DVD you return to the store, you can get any movie rental off the shelf for free -- new releases, Favorites, doesn't matter. Your Blockbuster Online envelope will double as a coupon for a free rental. This all starts next week."
Old 10-18-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That sounds good....while I wouldn't want to drop off every disk, I pass by five BBV's in my daily travels so having the option to return it to the store would be nice.
The envelope doubles as a rental coupon, *and* BBO will send you another title from your queue? If that's the case, I'd bet the print-your-own free rental coupons will either go away or be more limited in scope.
Old 10-18-06, 09:36 PM

Yeah... I was thinking that to...

But as the saying goes... If it sounds too good to be true...

That would be a LOT of free movies... potentially... that would give each person who has the 3-at-a-time plan to have 6 movies at once... WOW....
Old 10-18-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisfelice
I found this...
The last post. (by John)

"I am a Blockbuster manager and we just had a meeting about the new Blockbuster Online features, launching this month.

Among the new changes include: The ability to return online rentals to the store. While it seems pointless to drive to a store to have us mail the DVDs, this does clear your queue immediately versus the 1-3 days ship time and allows your next DVD to be shipped immediately.

In addition, for every single Blockbuster Online DVD you return to the store, you can get any movie rental off the shelf for free -- new releases, Favorites, doesn't matter. Your Blockbuster Online envelope will double as a coupon for a free rental. This all starts next week."

this is all true but bbv employees arent supposed to tell anyone till next monday when it starts
Old 10-19-06, 05:49 AM

Well, I for one am glad this news leaked. I am currently on the trial for Blockbuster Online, and was planning on cancelling my account before I had to pay anything. However, news of this program is causing me to keep the account, at least for one more month, to check out the new system.
Old 10-19-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
That sounds good....while I wouldn't want to drop off every disk, I pass by five BBV's in my daily travels so having the option to return it to the store would be nice.
The envelope doubles as a rental coupon, *and* BBO will send you another title from your queue? If that's the case, I'd bet the print-your-own free rental coupons will either go away or be more limited in scope.
You will still get one coupon per month, but yes, the weekly free coupons will go away. But now instead of being limited to one free from the store per week, EVERY rental you get from online can be turned into the store in exchange for a free rental, so it's definately a win/win situation.

And, yes, people with three out at a time can get SIX out at a time by getting free rentals at the store and from online.
Old 10-19-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow....that might actually get me to switch back from netflix. I have a BB <1 mi away, which is fine for new releases....but is lacking beyond that. I guess I'll just follow along and see how it shakes out.

-p
Old 10-19-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told about this deal the last couple of times I've been in except for the getting a in-store-rental free in addition to getting a DVD sent from your queue part. (It sound like it was either one or the other for each "online" DVD you bring to the store.) Definiately makes this deal ALOT better than it orginially was. Also I was told it wouldn't start until mid/late November. Guess they moved it up.

I had plan on sending back my three "online" DVDs in Saturdays mail, now I'll just wait a few days until Monday/Tuesday so I can get free in-store-rentals too.

I pass by my local blockbuster on a daily basis so dropping off any "online" dvds there/picking up a free in-store-rental-won't be a problem.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 10-19-06 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 11:39 PM

Wow... Lot's of info at Slickdeals...
All someone else's Quotes... not mine to take credit for
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by double007seven
"Just an FYI with this instore Return program for online memebers. This program does not start until Oct. 24th. Also, with this new in store return program it is possible to rent 15 movies per week with the instore rentals you get and the quick clearing of your queue.

Another helpful hint is that the distribution centers for the online program only ship out movies between 6am to 12:30pm (basically just the morning). When the in-store return program starts up on the 24th and you bring a movie in to blockbuster between the time the store opens and noon you will have the possibility the next movie in your queue getting shipped out the same day you returned your movie in-store to your local blockbuster. If you bring them in after noon the next movie in your queue will not be shipped out until the following morning at 6am.

By the way....this In-Store Return Program will be the end of Netflix....After this the only people using Netflix will be people who don't live anywhere near a blockbuster....which how many people don't live near a blockbuster?"
Originally Posted by nivlam
"Yea the manager from the store i go to told me about this new Blockbuster dropoff program. You will no longer get the coupons instead you can swap your online rental for a movie in-store up to 20 movies a month. Sounds like Slick Deal to me"
Originally Posted by double007seven
"Just to clarify so people don't get confused. You don't swap movies at your local blockbuster. Starting the 24th of Oct. you can return movies you receive via the online service at your local blockbuster store. When you do this you also get a free rental for each blockbuster online envelope you return to a brick and mortar store. The free rental is bound by the terms of your local blockbuster rental policy and must be returned to the store at which it was given to you. In essence being able to return blockbuster online rentals in their mailing envelopes to your local brick and mortar blockbuster store clears your blockbuster online queue so that a 'new' movie can be shipped out sooner than having to wait for the postal service to deliver the movie back to the distribution center. (Essentially each blockbuster online mailer envelope acts as a coupon for a free rental at your local brick and mortar blockbuster store)

You will have to manage your queue more often because if you return one of your online envelopes to the brick and mortar store and pick up a free rental in the store....and the movie you picked up at your local brick and mortar store is in your online movie queue, you will want to delete that movie from your online queue or you may risk getting mailed the movie you picked up for free in-store."
Old 10-20-06, 02:21 AM
Banned

Finally!

It took them long enough to finally roll with this idea. I don't know why they didn't do it long ago.

They already remodeled their website. Too bad it's ungodly slow though.
Old 10-20-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
WOW... I've been a BBuster online customer for years... this is AWESOME
Old 10-20-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
The question now becomes whether BB B&M stores can stay in business. I already got dirty looks when the only times I came in the store was to use my free coupons, essentially generating zero revenue for that particular store. Now basically the stores are going to have to give out a ton of free rentals a month, which not only means no revenue (unless they somehow get a share of BB Online fees) but also less stock for the actual paying customers. And extra work in checking the online movies in, mailing them out, etc.

Don't get me wrong, even though this will probably mean the death of my free videogame rentals, as a BBOnline customer, I like this change.
Old 10-20-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

too bad every blockbuster around me just closed.
Old 10-20-06, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
The question now becomes whether BB B&M stores can stay in business. I already got dirty looks when the only times I came in the store was to use my free coupons, essentially generating zero revenue for that particular store. Now basically the stores are going to have to give out a ton of free rentals a month, which not only means no revenue (unless they somehow get a share of BB Online fees) but also less stock for the actual paying customers. And extra work in checking the online movies in, mailing them out, etc.

Don't get me wrong, even though this will probably mean the death of my free videogame rentals, as a BBOnline customer, I like this change.
I would expect that's the case. It's all one big system that works together at this point.

And just to reassure everyone, I talked to a manager at my local Blockbuster and he confirmed the promo too, although he specifically said "I shouldn't be talking about this." Tuesday it begins.
Old 10-20-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tuesday? Everyone was saying Monday. Did it move?
Old 10-20-06, 06:19 PM

Hmm... I don't know. The guy I talked to said Tuesday. No big deal to me, I just signed up online and filled up my queue, so I shouldn't get my movies till Mon/Tues. anyway.
Old 10-20-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

was going to be this monday, but it has been moved further away.

probably the following monday at the earliest
Old 10-20-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One store was clueless (the one I go it figures).

The other said they just got an email yesterday. 11/2. He doesn't think it's going to get pushed further back.
Old 10-20-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
The question now becomes whether BB B&M stores can stay in business. I already got dirty looks when the only times I came in the store was to use my free coupons, essentially generating zero revenue for that particular store.
Not true. The physical stores get reimbursed 3.00 for each free rental they give to their online customers. Like I said before, it's a win/win situation.
Old 10-21-06, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This is 100% confirmed. The folks over at 'IHateBlockbuster' who actually work for/manage BB stores have confirmed its happening...when...soon. No official ate yet.
Old 10-22-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nov 2

we were told that for every one of these "bring in the envelope and get a free rental in store" we(store) earns $1.25.

the free month will be going away and become free 2 week trial.

for every member that signs up using the code we give them the store gets $40

Last edited by whotony; 10-22-06 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
nov 2

we were told that for every one of these "bring in the envelope and get a fre rental in store" were earn $1.25.

the free month will be going away and become free 2 week trial.

for every member that signs up using the code we give them the store gets $40
We? I'm assuming you be the store in all of this...BB does NOT do commission.
Old 10-22-06, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

right

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.