Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jericho - "Federal Response" - 10/18/06

MrX
10-18-06, 03:05 PM
"Federal Response"
Townspeople hope that life will return to normal when they receive a prerecorded phone call from Homeland Security and utilities come back on line.

mllefoo
10-18-06, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's going to be laughable.
When will Skeet get radiation poisoning?
When will all the teenagers in the town die?
When will Sparkle Motion lady reopen her shop for business?
When will the mayor die from whatever congestive heart failure is gripping him at the moment?
When will people start going nuts and trying to kill each other?
When will zombies show up?

All these questions need to be answered.

argh923
10-18-06, 08:06 PM
Is anyone else's CBSHD channel having scrambled audio issues? Had to switch it to the fugly standard channel to be able to hear it.

Mopower
10-18-06, 08:30 PM
Wow. It's really unbelievable how dumb this show is.

argh923
10-18-06, 08:31 PM
Wow. It's really unbelievable how dumb this show is.

Really exaggerating.

Having said that, this is the worst of the episodes thus far. That's probably compounded by the fact that my HD audio is jarbled.

Patman
10-18-06, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I didn't tune in to see a fire rescue. Sheesh!

maingon
10-18-06, 08:36 PM
This show could be awesome if they went in the right direction.

mllefoo
10-18-06, 08:46 PM
Where's Jason Robards when you need him?

Red Dog
10-18-06, 08:52 PM
I want to know how one bar has an endless supply of booze. I want to see the episode where they run out.

argh923
10-18-06, 08:54 PM
I want to know how one bar has an endless supply of booze. I want to see the episode where they run out.

Well, there was that shipment on the train...maybe they got the booze from there.

More importantly...I wonder why Jake's passport was flagged?

argh923
10-18-06, 08:59 PM
Were those missiles or planes?

treszoks
10-18-06, 09:00 PM
This show could be so cool but it was crap until the last few minutes when you were reminded about the nuke situation. The "drama" within the town is a joke. They need to focus more on the outside. The ending was a pretty cool sight though.

aktick
10-18-06, 09:01 PM
I love this show...for about the 5 minutes per episode that the black guy is involved. The rest of it is just so stupid it's crazy. It took me like 10 minutes to watch tonight's show, and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything. Thank God for Tivo.

Mopower
10-18-06, 09:02 PM
Were those missiles or planes?

Missiles.

argh923
10-18-06, 09:06 PM
This show could be so cool but it was crap until the last few minutes when you were reminded about the nuke situation. The "drama" within the town is a joke. They need to focus more on the outside. The ending was a pretty cool sight though.

Yeah, this was the first episode I was honestly disappointed in. I just couldn't bring myself to care if their library led down.

Next week's episode looks promising, with the whole 'lawless' aspect FINALLY coming into play - that would've happened within the first 36 hours in reality.

Red Dog
10-18-06, 09:22 PM
The show is bad, but I'm a sucker and they keep drawing me in, particularly in those last few seconds of the episode.

These folks make nuclear war seem like a piece of cake. :lol:

Red Dog
10-18-06, 09:23 PM
Next week's episode looks promising, with the whole 'lawless' aspect FINALLY coming into play - that would've happened within the first 36 hours in reality.

I think you're being generous with 36 hours.

argh923
10-18-06, 10:24 PM
I think you're being generous with 36 hours.

I probably am...though it'd probably take that long in close-knit small communities.

nazz
10-18-06, 11:03 PM
What language was that on the guy's laptop the first time he logged in?

MrX
10-18-06, 11:07 PM
Coole ending, but that's about it.

Mopower
10-18-06, 11:27 PM
What language was that on the guy's laptop the first time he logged in?

It looked like Russian but it may have been just encoded.

Bronkster
10-19-06, 02:37 AM
I was thinking it looked like Russian too, but then, I really don't know Russian.

Other then the first minute and last half-minute, this episode blew chunks.

Lone Wolf
10-19-06, 05:38 AM
So what happened at the end? My DVR shut off as they were all walking into the bar to watch the new feed on the tv.

argh923
10-19-06, 05:46 AM
So what happened at the end? My DVR shut off as they were all walking into the bar to watch the new feed on the tv.

The feed went out, the bar shook and rumbled, they went outside, and saw two missiles launched into the air.

Lone Wolf
10-19-06, 06:04 AM
They came from the town?

Thrush
10-19-06, 06:23 AM
Everything involving the characters interaction with each other is just painful to watch. The teenagers, Peyton manning and his wife/Mistress Jake and his family. I love how every time they have a "moment" you hear the soft Lifetime channel/hallmark corny music.

I like how Hawkins goes out of his way to be inconspicuous and secretive, yet he sets up his computer and a satellite dish the size of a Buick on his front lawn at high noon. Yeah no ones going to notice that.

They came from the town?

It looked like it came from nearby but not from inside the town. Maybe a missile silo from an outlying area.

Pointyskull
10-19-06, 07:58 AM
The show is bad, but I'm a sucker and they keep drawing me in, particularly in those last few seconds of the episode.

Same here.

The forced "personal drama" backstories are pretty weak, but each ep has some little nugget that makes me want to commit to at least one more episode....

auntiewinnie
10-19-06, 08:03 AM
The series has been on the whole a disappointment -- a terriffic idea for a series that has been thus far poorly executed. Why MUST every episode have a race-against-the-clock situation that always ends with a happy ending (or at least without many lasting consequences)? Find the school bus! Get in the shelter before the rain starts! THE HOSPITAL GENERATOR IS RUNNING OUT OF GAS!!! THE TOWN IS ON FIRE!!!!! What a shame.

nevermind
10-19-06, 08:10 AM
So not only does Jericho KANSAS have mountains and can see a blast from Denver (where storms only take 2 hours to get there), they also have palm trees. Why didn't they just make it Jericho, California?

And IP addresses like 827.750.304.001 too!

This show blows. Yet I keep watching it.

I hate myself.

Pointyskull
10-19-06, 08:16 AM
Missed Marketing Opportunity:
CBS really should have had the Emergency Alert image available as wallpaper/screensaver from their lame-o series site...

Tommy Ceez
10-19-06, 09:12 AM
Has there ever been a show in TV history that had more instances of you telling yourself

OH MY GOD, IF I WERE WRITING THIS SHOW, IT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!

Groucho
10-19-06, 09:22 AM
That's weird. I didn't see the part with the missles, but I don't think my DVR cut off. Maybe I'm losing it. Maybe I fell asleep. :lol:

CPA-ESQ.
10-19-06, 09:30 AM
Let the trailer park burn down, just make sure you get the books out of the library!!

I'm too lazy to walk home and charge up my cell phone, I know - I'll buy one at the little local grocery store. Great, they have a universal charger in the back store room.

:suicide:

das Monkey
10-19-06, 09:35 AM
Put me in the very frustrated camp. This show is right on the edge of being really cool, but it keeps screwing it up. And I'm all for a series that focuses heavily on how a small town keeps from falling apart during a crisis, but their episodic crises are hilariously bad.

das

Pistol Pete
10-19-06, 10:30 AM
Why do I keep watching this show? Oh, yeah, for the last 30 seconds. Please give me an interesting storyline. Like one about the FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR!

I don't care who is cheating on whom.

I don't care that the teenagers are making puppy dog eyes at each other.

I don't care about prodigal sons turned superhero.

And I don't care about saving children on a school bus or in a library fire.

The Hawkins mystery is entertaining in small doses. Don't overdo it.

I want to enjoy the show, I truly do. The premise is great, but the writing and execution sucks. Here's an idea: Replace the writers. All of them. Then put all the character storylines in the background and present a story that's about a FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR!

IDrinkMolson
10-19-06, 10:41 AM
So I guess Hawkins is going to recruit Skeet to replace the guy that died for his secret mission.

kenbuzz
10-19-06, 12:04 PM
Some facts, and some speculation, so I'll spoiler this
The missile contrails were from ICBMs. I suspect that they were either launched intentionally as a retalitory strike against the (still unknown to us) aggressor nation, or they were launched automatically against their pre-programmed targets as part of a "fail-deadly" response.

"Fail-deadly" is a military strategy concept whereby a guaranteed, overwhelming response will automatically befall an attacker by setting up a response system that requires intervention by an operator to prevent it from being carried out. Sort of like a dead man's switch, it is designed to provide authorization for a retaliatory strike even if the existing command and control structure has been neutralized by a first strike.

Of course, for a "fail-deadly" strategy to work, there can be one and only one assumed aggressor (during the Cold War, that would've been the USSR), since the ICBMs would have to be pre-aimed at their targets, and there theoretically wouldn't be anyone around to re-aim them if the aggressor nation was someone else. In the world of 2006, I don't know if that sort of an assumption is valid any longer. More to the point, if the ICBM launches we saw at the end of the episode were indeed part of a "fail-deadly" response, then I believe it to be entirely likely that the response would take out someone OTHER than the actual aggressor. I think it much more likely that the C&C infrastructure is intact, and that the strike was a limited response against a specific set of targets.
But that last part is pure speculation... I guess we'll have to watch next week to see what we see.

Red Dog
10-19-06, 12:15 PM
Seeing those birds be fired off and the actions of the secretive black dude, I have to wonder if this is all a coup against the government. Then fire off the missiles to make it look like (to the people) that a foreign enemy attacked the U.S.

lordwow
10-19-06, 12:20 PM
As someone who has done this as a living... I can honestly say...

I feel like I'm watching a first-time student film with a better budget every week. The cliche dialouge, the music, the great concept with horrible execution... even some of the AWFUL special effects (The rain from the second episode looked like it was added in iMovie). I would be ashamed to work on any project which headlines someone as the "Writers/Producers of Jericho" later on.

nevermind
10-19-06, 12:21 PM
ok whoever it was that just deleted their post - you figured out that pic was not Mt. Sunflower, huh? :lol: The palm tree gave it away, as well as all the vegetation. That was a mislabled picture, which was actually Cameroon. Never trust the first result of a google image search!;)

Here is what "Mt." Sunflower really looks like:
http://www.chieftain.com/archive/2002/apr/4/styClimbers1.jpg

kenbuzz
10-19-06, 01:05 PM
It looked like Russian but it may have been just encoded.You mean this....?
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5970/federal06mc5wc4.jpg

PS, ВЕСТОЧКА in Cyrllic means "News" (at least according to BabelFish), and the banner ad on the top looks to be in Turkish. I can't make out much of the rest.

Edited to add:
Well, whaddya know. It *is* Turkish. It looks like it's just the MSN homepage for Turkey.... http://www.msn.com.tr/Default.asp , with the right-hand banner ad blacked out, and a large Cyrillic (supposedly to make the TV viewers think "Russian") word superimposed on the screen.

lotsofdvds
10-19-06, 01:46 PM
I love that when the power comes back on the first priorities are ATMs, vacuums and email.

Tommy Ceez
10-19-06, 02:19 PM
Why do I keep watching this show? Oh, yeah, for the last 30 seconds. Please give me an interesting storyline. Like one about the FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR!

I don't care who is cheating on whom.

I don't care that the teenagers are making puppy dog eyes at each other.

I don't care about prodigal sons turned superhero.

And I don't care about saving children on a school bus or in a library fire.

The Hawkins mystery is entertaining in small doses. Don't overdo it.

I want to enjoy the show, I truly do. The premise is great, but the writing and execution sucks. Here's an idea: Replace the writers. All of them. Then put all the character storylines in the background and present a story that's about a FUCKING NUCLEAR WAR!
This is the SAME EXACT argument that some of us have been making about The Sopranos for years, while others (dopes) keep saying its really a 'family drama'

Minor Threat
10-19-06, 03:23 PM
So not only does Jericho KANSAS have mountains and can see a blast from Denver (where storms only take 2 hours to get there), they also have palm trees. Why didn't they just make it Jericho, California?

And IP addresses like 827.750.304.001 too!

This show blows. Yet I keep watching it.

I hate myself.

That makes two of us.....

marty888
10-19-06, 03:52 PM
I love that when the power comes back on the first priorities are ATMs, vacuums and email.

All that is obviously to help the viewers (who have never endured a nuclear blast) identify with everyday problems and thus feel closer to the situation. Word has it that a future episode will involve a 25-minute sequence where they all band together to figure out a way to get the toilets to flush properly, hopefuly to handle script pages.

Tracer Bullet
10-19-06, 08:12 PM
So, um, is there like an interesting town that survived atomic devestation that we can make a show about?

Mopower
10-19-06, 08:16 PM
So, um, is there like an interesting town that survived atomic devestation that we can make a show about?

The town in Red Dawn?

nazz
10-19-06, 08:23 PM
It looks like it's just the MSN homepage for Turkey....

I knew Microsoft was behind all of this!

Septemberbaby
10-19-06, 08:55 PM
I'm too lazy to walk home and charge up my cell phone, I know - I'll buy one at the little local grocery store. Great, they have a universal charger in the back store room.:suicide:

I don't think she even paid for it!!

Did my parents call yet? No? Okay.. well.. I guess I'll have another party at my house... I'm sure they'll call tomorrow. What's that you say? Half the country has been nuked? Oh.. Like.. that's really too bad. Do you have anymore of those potato chips?

argh923
10-19-06, 10:13 PM
CBS really should have had the Emergency Alert image available as wallpaper/screensaver from their lame-o series site...

I'd use it.

kinetic
10-19-06, 11:19 PM
all you people saying this show sucks will keep on watching. lololol

TheBigDave
10-20-06, 05:35 AM
Why MUST every episode have a race-against-the-clock situation that always ends with a happy ending (or at least without many lasting consequences)? Find the school bus! Get in the shelter before the rain starts! THE HOSPITAL GENERATOR IS RUNNING OUT OF GAS!!! THE TOWN IS ON FIRE!!!!!

I agree. These cheesy "we're running out of time" scenes really bring the show down.

And those teenage refugees from Dawson's Creek need to go.

I'm not saying the show sucks. I just wish it was better. I'm hoping it will turn out like last year's "Invasion". That show started out poorly, and lots of people on this board were complaining. But after 6-7 episdoes things just started to click, and it turned into one of the best series on TV.

Pointyskull
10-20-06, 08:40 AM

I'd use it.

I was bored so I made one based on my bad memory of what it looked like, slightly modified to include the Homeland Security logo at the bottom:

Small:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/smallhomesec.jpg

800 x 600:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/homsec.jpg

1024 x 768:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/homsec-1.jpg

lordwow
10-20-06, 09:58 AM
I finally watched the entire episode last night (I was bored...)

Ya... I was tuning out a lot of it, the Lifetime music was driving me nuts.

I'm very confused as to why they'd turn on the feed of the podium minutes before anyone walks up to it. That just doesn't make sense.

CPA-ESQ.
10-20-06, 10:09 AM
I'm very confused as to why they'd turn on the feed of the podium minutes before anyone walks up to it. That just doesn't make sense.

On those big dishes - you get the broadcast feed to the local stations. It is the local stations that go to commercials and start and stop the program.

I remember watching network tv and seeing Letterman talking to his guests during a commercial break, or the news guy shuffling papers getting his makeup touched up.

mllefoo
10-20-06, 10:51 AM
Seriously, someone needs to kill off all those teenagers, the bar maid, the cheat she's sleeping with, and Hawkins' family.

If they do all that, and add some zombies and some suspense, the show will be better.

Now we know Skeet's been a bad boy. Maybe the blasts were all his fault.

Lost in Iowa
10-20-06, 08:57 PM
I can't see them making Skeet a "bad guy." He's done too many good deeds to be evil, plus he's the lead character.

Maybe Hawkins and his coup-minded buddies will try to take over the town in future episodes and Skeet will turn the townspeople into some kind of militia to fight them. I'll hope the teens get offed -- except the weird kid and his cell-phone-charging friend, whom Skeet trains to be killing machines.

Septemberbaby
10-20-06, 09:14 PM
Seriously, someone needs to kill off all those teenagers, the bar maid, the cheat she's sleeping with, and Hawkins' family.

If they do all that, and add some zombies and some suspense, the show will be better.

Now we know Skeet's been a bad boy. Maybe the blasts were all his fault.

Don't kill off the Hawkin's Family!
Figuring out what he's up to is probably the only thing that keeps me coming back.
I need a show or two that I can rip apart each season..a few years ago it was 'bobby and lindsay' towards the end on The Practice. This season, it's this show and Grey's Anatomy.

argh923
10-20-06, 09:19 PM
I was bored so I made one based on my bad memory of what it looked like, slightly modified to include the Homeland Security logo at the bottom:

Small:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/smallhomesec.jpg

800 x 600:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/homsec.jpg

1024 x 768:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/homsec-1.jpg

I'm using it.

slop101
10-21-06, 11:04 AM
What hurts most about the show is how they're squandering a good premise, along with a pretty good cast.

Here's a video clip of one of their writers' sessions, which sort of explains everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUos-PCDT5Y

argh923
10-21-06, 02:37 PM
Believe it or not, not everyone hates this show, as the ratings would show. Why is everyone doing so much threadcrapping?

kvrdave
10-21-06, 03:56 PM
I thought this episode was better and I enjoyed it. The last two were leading me down the path of scratching it, but it now has some renewed potential.

mllefoo
10-21-06, 09:03 PM
I don't hate the show. I'm just frustrated with it. I want stuff to happen. I want the kids to die horrible deaths because they're all a waste of space. I want skeet to turn into a radioactive zombie. I want Sparkle Motion Woman to get her just desserts. I want radical religious fanatics to show up and start taking people out for being sinners. I want full-scale rioting and anarchy. And it would be nice if they'd do away with the filler parts of the show, like the cheating husband, and that annoying IRS chick. Focus on something interesting, like that black dude and his clandestine operations.

You keep watching to see if anything happens, but it never does. You just get little tidbits at the very end of the show. In fact, you can string together the last five minutes of every episode and have one really good 30 minute episode. But no. They have to torture us with Lifetime Channel crap. This is why I wait till the next day to watch OnDemand, just so I don't have to slog through commercials. At least I get some satisfaction that way.

This show is just a big cock tease with no real indication it will ever deliver on the goods, yet it keeps tantalizing everyone in the last 30 seconds of every episode. Now tell me that isn't frustrating.

Feneant
10-22-06, 09:45 AM
Well, the show better come up with something soon or they will be losing their audience. A 30 second bait ending won't work forever...

mllefoo
10-22-06, 11:14 AM
The writers of Jericho should have taken a few pages from A Gift Upon the Shore. Now there was a good view of apocalyptic post nuclear society. Plus gangrene.

That's what's missing. Gangrene.