Lost -- "Further Instructions" -- 10.18.2006

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Further Instructions"

The fates of Locke, Eko and Desmond are revealed after the implosion of the hatch.
Old 10-17-06, 11:55 PM

lol did u wait til 12:01 est so u could post this?
Old 10-18-06, 01:52 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

is it just me, but this show is getting a bit boring......questions upon questions......kinda losing it's apeal.
Old 10-18-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the show's going to get more interesting when we get all the answers?
I thought the appeal was the mystery of the island?

Anyway, I never thought it would have a mass appeal - I thought it would be a successful underground show.
Old 10-18-06, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
is it just me, but this show is getting a bit boring......questions upon questions......kinda losing it's apeal.
The show requires patience, so the popcorn viewers (like yourself) who aren't prepared to invest the required patience are starting to wear off. Too bad IMO because the payoff is going to be great for the fans that stick with it. It's like running half a marathon, stopping, then going home.
Old 10-18-06, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Anyway, I never thought it would have a mass appeal - I thought it would be a successful underground show.
The pilot was apparently "the most expensive in the network's history, reportedly costing between US$10 and US$14 million." And how expensive are the episodes--close to $3 million each? I don't think networks spend that kind of money on "underground" shows.
Old 10-18-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
The show requires patience, so the popcorn viewers (like yourself) who aren't prepared to invest the required patience are starting to wear off. Too bad IMO because the payoff is going to be great for the fans that stick with it. It's like running half a marathon, stopping, then going home.
I don't really have a problem with the slow reveal as long as it pays off in the end.

They can't just, in the next episode, sit down, take the audience by the hand, and reveal everything. Once everything is laid out on the table and all of the mysteries are solved, the show is over. There's nothing left.

As long as (1) they provide a satisfying conclusion, and (2) don't start dragging the show down into pointlessness by over-complicating the mysteries, I'll be a happy viewer.

(I also think that running the show for longer than five seasons would put a serious strain on it and they'd start running into X-Files territory where they can't actually solve anything and just keep piling more and more junk onto the pile of mysteries.)
Old 10-18-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The producers have said they don't want to go past 5 seasons (ie they have 5 seasons of stories and a conclusion in the pipeline, but no more) but it's ultimately going to be ABC's decision whether the show keeps going.
Old 10-18-06, 07:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
This show is being crushed under the weight of itself... it's losing viewers, or at least Nielson families.
Old 10-18-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Third fucking post and the threadcrappers come out.

It should be a sticky - it's been two full seasons now. You know how this show plays out. Don't watch and don't post if it does not appeal to you. What's "getting a bit boring" is listening to all the naysayers and their redundant posts about "questions upon questions" and the pace of the show. I hear that Two and Half Men moves along quite quickly and is even funny on occasion. That might be more up to speed.
Old 10-18-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey OP, please spoilerize the episode summary in your first post.

General spoiler about the flashbacker for this episode

Spoiler:
Tonight, we are finally supposed to find out what put Locke in the wheelchair

Spoilerfix spoilers for this episode

Spoiler:
Episode 3.03: Further Instructions (Locke-centric)
Airdate: October 18, 2006

10/13 - According to my sources, at least one of the three button men will return to action transformed in such a way that gives him something in common with one of the heroes over on Heroes. Source: Entertainment Weekly
10/11 - Next week we get to see Desmond naked! Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
10/09 - In this week’s episode, we get to see the other Losties back in the main camp – whee! Locke falls out of a tree, and is on the hunt for Eko’s stick (aren’t we all? And yes, that is what I mean) and Eko himself. (Don’t forget the hatch went kablooey and SexAAA is missing!) That search will lead him to a smoke filled tent and a friend we knew before. Also, we’ll meet the newbies this week – Niki (Kiele Sanchez) and Paulo (Rodrigo Santoro). Source: Kristin on E!Online
09/30 - Two Losties have sex in Jack's bed. Source: Kristin on E!Online
09/28 - The October [18] episode is Locke-centric and features a trippy airport-set dream sequence. Source: TV Guide
09/28 - Charlie and Claire are getting married. Kinda. As revealed in this week's issue of TV Guide, the Oct. [18] episode will feature an airport dream sequence in which Hurley is an Oceanic flight attendant, Desmond's the pilot, and Charlie and Claire are husband and wife. The sequence may also include a special appearance by someone who's no longer a full-time employee of the show. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide
09/26 - The fates of Locke, Eko and Desmond are revealed after the implosion of the hatch, while Hurley returns to the beach camp to tell the tale of what happened when he, Jack, Kate and Sawyer encountered The Others. Meanwhile, Claire is shocked to find Nikki and Paulo in Jack's tent. Guest starring are Kiele Sanchez as Nikki, Rodrigo Santoro as Paulo, Ian Somerhalder as Boone, Justin Chatwin as Eddie, Chris Mulkey as Mike, Virginia Morris as Jan, Joel Himelhoch as sheriff and Dion Donahue as Kim. Source: ABC
09/20 - The Oct. 11 episode, called "Further Instructions," will also reveal what happened to Locke, Desmond and Eko when the hatch collapsed in last season's finale, and will find Hurley returning to camp after being released by the Others. "Ian Somerhalder guest stars as Boone," the network copy says. Source: Zap2it
09/14 - Ian Somerhalder who played Boone, the first major characters to buy-it in season one, on the hit series LOST has come back for another go around. Only this time, it's not popping up inexplicably in someone's flashback, as you might guess. Hot off the release of his big screen horror "Pulse", the former LOST star spent a week in Hawaii working on new material for an upcoming episode of LOST which centers on the bushman-who-lost-his-way John Locke. In the episode Locke, who is still reeling from his actions in the cataclysmic season finale, begins to have visions of the young man who died to keep the hatch a secret. Boone leads Locke to a redemption of sorts and sets him off on a "kung fu" like journey to unravel yet another island mystery. Sources say this journey rivals the season one fascination with the hatch and will find John Locke squarely returning to his mysterious mysticism and McGyver-ish ways. Source: BuddyTV
08/29 - A scene was filming at the Hawaii Convention Center today, a Locke flashback (?) at the Sydney International Airport. I saw Locke in his chair, but he was shirtless. He seemed to be pointing or gesturing as he's pushed through the crowd of travelers. It almost seemed like it was a "dream sequence." Source: The Transmission
08/17 - The flashbacks also features Eddie, a sweet but torn caucasian male in his 20s. There will also be a trooper in his 30s. Source: SpoilerFix.com [Note: The flashback spoilers are either for Locke or will be part of a later episode about Claire.]
08/09 - It's Claire-centric and her flashback features Mike and Jan, a hippie-ish couple in their 50's. They are warm and kind, but also tough and protective when the situation calls for it. Source: secretagentman @ TWOP [Note: The flashback spoilers are either for Locke.]
Old 10-18-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this going to be a Clarie free episode?
Old 10-18-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

It should be a sticky - it's been two full seasons now. You know how this show plays out. Don't watch and don't post if it does not appeal to you. What's "getting a bit boring" is listening to all the naysayers and their redundant posts about "questions upon questions" and the pace of the show. I hear that Two and Half Men moves along quite quickly and is even funny on occasion. That might be more up to speed.
amen.

I'm also getting tired of people's complaints. Do these people honestly expect them to set aside and reveal every mystery in the next few episodes??! What are we supposed to do then?? There's NO show left then!

These type of tv viewers need to stick to sitcoms or CSI type shows that resolve themselves everyweek.
Old 10-18-06, 08:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Can't wait!
Old 10-18-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have sharpened my pencils and already have my clue notebook open to a fresh page.

I hope Tivo doesn't cut off the last two minutes and there are no backstories and we learn about the T-Rex and all the questions are answered and that the ratings improve.

Plus, I really hope Kate wears a skirt and chops rocks again

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-18-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Can't wait!
OMG
Old 10-18-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
IMO, we've gotten plenty of answers since the first season. Of course, most people think every damn thing has to be explained immediately, and they will never be satisfied with the amount of answers, nor the answers we do get.

Anyways, this episode looks to be one of the best of the series.
Old 10-18-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
The show isn't losing ratings, it's down from where it was last season after two episodes, but considering all the things it had going for it (Emmy win for best series, and just released DVD of it's phenomenal first season), it isn't a surprise (imo, Season 2 was subpar on a few fronts). It's still above the season 2 overall average (it took some serious hits last year in the ratings) and seems to overall be redeeming itself for a bit of a sophmore slump.

Originally Posted by fok
Actually that's why I'm loving this season (well, the first two episodes at least), answering questions with answers that beget more questions, the way season 1 did it.
Old 10-18-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Last week's Lost pulled in 16.9 million viewers. A year ago it pulled in 20. A 15% drop is not great but it's not catastrophic.
Old 10-18-06, 09:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Keep in mind, that without us "type of tv viewers that need to stick to sitcoms or CSI type shows that resolve themselves everyweek" your precious "Lost" will be cancelled, especially if the current ratings drop-off continues...
Old 10-18-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

I think people are just tired of the same old formula on TV... period.

Smith, Jericho, The Nine, Heroes, & Lost all pretty much use the same tired formula of advancing the story (in baby steps) every four to five episodes and leaving us with filler in between.

Then you have shows like Smallville that give the audience the payoff at the Season Premiere/Finale, but give us filler in between (although this season might be different).
Old 10-18-06, 09:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Ultimately, if a viewer doesn't like serialized dramas, they shouldn't be watching them. To me, that seems easier than struggling through them week after week just so one can bitch on the Internet.
Old 10-18-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Keep in mind, that without us "type of tv viewers that need to stick to sitcoms or CSI type shows that resolve themselves everyweek" your precious "Lost" will be cancelled, especially if the current ratings drop-off continues...

Okay, could you stick to your sitcoms and CSIs and stop thread crapping in our Lost thread?
Old 10-18-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
It isn't a ratings drop off until it dips below the last season average (around 15m), that said, your comment made no sense. Plus shouldn't we be worried about CSIs drop from 29m to 20m?
Old 10-18-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Can't wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.