Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get damaged DVD's from buy.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered The Simpsons season 8, and another season a week or so after season 8 came out, and I received season 8 with about a dime sized brown mark on Maggie's eye (looked like rain damage.) I thought, no big deal, I'll just buy it at K-mart, then return the damaged one to them and avoid the hassle of returning it to buy.com. The other season of the Simpsons was undamaged, I just bought the Matrix collection, and it was received undamaged. I just bought Sin City (Recut, Extended, Unrated) in a normal bubble package which I thought was weird because all the DVD's I've recieved before were shipped in boxes. But I just got Sin City, and there's a huge crease in the package where the DVD's and book come out. Now it's not THAT big of a deal, but still. When I order a DVD, movie, cd, I expect it to come how I would buy it in the store. It's not really the fact that I got a damaged DVD, it's the fact that I've now ordered 4 DVD sets from buy.com, and 2 have been shipped damaged.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Give buy.com's customer service a ring? Or just bite my lip and take a loss...
Old 10-14-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call them up and explain your damaged goods to them.
Old 10-14-06, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 724 Likes on 477 Posts
I just got the Maggie head Simpsons from buy.com and it's in good shape. If it wasn't, as in your case, I would definitely give them a call.
Old 10-14-06, 03:29 PM

I have gotten about 9 or so packages from them over the last couple weeks that had books or DVD's in them. Some of the DVD's came in boxes, like the books, and other DVD packages were bubble wrap. As far as I have seen, no damage, even to my Stargate boxset (yeah, Fry's online has it cheap, but with tax and shipping it came out to be only about $2 cheaper and I feel better not paying for shipping, FWIW -- and tempted to rebuy for the slims but won't).

buy.com -- no damage, right orders, all look new, I'm a happy camper - going back for more.
Old 10-14-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

didnt want to start a new topic for this but doesnt anyone else think the buy.com founder (mr blum?) is really wierd in his commercials? i wouldnt buy from buy.com BECAUSE of him. i just dont trust that guy.
Old 10-15-06, 04:14 PM

Everytime I order from them, I have some sort of damaged item.
Old 10-15-06, 05:14 PM

I ordered books from them and they had some slight damage because of poor packaging.
Old 10-15-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Mortis
I ordered books from them and they had some slight damage because of poor packaging.
The last order I placed from them the sent me one "used" book ( it had clearly been read) and the other book they refused to match the price with Amazon, like they said they would on their website; so i returned the book to them and never received a refund from them. Buy.com sucks. Even if Amazon cost a few percent more, I'd rather give them my business because they aren't incompetant or fraudulent like the idiots that work at buy.com.
Old 10-16-06, 11:50 PM

They sent me a used dvd once.....Horror Of Dracula, it was resealed, had a half torn sticker on the back of the snap case, disc was loose and the inside holder was missing some pieces.

I've made some orders from them through the Google Checkout sale but I should know better. Seven Samurai, huge crease on side and top of cardboard was bowed out a bit. Evil Sister II, loose in case. Seinfeld Season 4, top left corner damaged due to packing........and I still have 5 more dvds on the way from them.

They suck. The end.
Old 10-18-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two damaged books, one wrong dvd, one damaged dvd from the recent sale. My one previous buy.com order was a faulty LCD monitor (the monitor was not heir fault, but the way the handled the return was very annoying, it took about a month to get my money back)
Old 10-18-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got one that only had a slice in the spine, I still sent it back telling them I wanted a replacement. You shouldn't be afraid to get something you paid for, if it's not right, demand a refund or exchange.
Old 10-18-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
last week i ordered 2 different orders, both with 2 hd dvds per order.
both arrived today in two different types \of packages.

one was a cardboard heavy very safe package the other was a flimsy bubble envelope

go figure
Old 10-19-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts
I ordered a bunch of books and DVDs from Buy.com a long time ago during a big sale of some kind and their packaging did indeed blow.

Received several large flimsy boxes with the books just dropped in them with no kind of packaging whatsoever, so they had the shit beat out of them by the time I got them.

Most of the DVDs were in good shape, except someone got too excited with the utility knife on the boxed sets and Anchor Bay tins.

And, yeah, when I get stuff in less than pristine condition, I make them replace the items.
Old 10-19-06, 01:29 PM

I made several orders w/ the google checkout discount, and had 7 packages arrive on the same day. Packaging varied from a real box (with air bags), to the DVD-sized cardboard-wrapped-around-the-case type boxes, and a few bubblopes. Seven Samurai has a little crease, but it is on the side that wont face out, so it doesnt bother me. My Office complete series box though, had a huge gash through the outside box, packing slip, and into the set which not only shattered all the plastic disc holders but left a 1/8" raised mark on one of the discs. I have filled out to get an exchange, hope all goes well.
Old 10-20-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Back when they had the deal on the Fox season 1 DVD's (about 1 1/2 years ago), the ones I got were all sent in hard cardboard mailers that were all packaged skin tight. One of the three DVD sets was shattered and the other two were shmushed. It's the only transaction I've had or intend to have with Buy.com.
Old 10-23-06, 01:28 PM

I ordered the Hitchcock Signature Collection which was packaged in a box about 1/4 inch too short. They just squeezed it in there and taped it up the best they could. Not only were all the corners dented, but the packaging was sliced on 3 sides! Couldn't believe they would send out any item slashed multiple times by a razor. Anyway, I got an RMA and prepaid UPS label. Hopefully they'll get the replacement out soon, but I somehow doubt it.

Other than that, my other 9 orders of books, dvds, and cds have arrived without a problem. Most well packed in boxes and only a few in cardboard mailers.