Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Grudge 2'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of The Grudge 2 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24372 and...

I have to agree whole-heartedly with this review. I haven't seen the first film, but I went to an advance screening of Grudge 2 last night. As people around me screamed and jumped in shock, I sat there thinking about how I hated the American version of The Ring, and started to wonder if this was all the Japanese knew about horror... dead pasty-faced children showing up unexpectedly.

And it's not that I look for a lot of gore in my horror films. I love all types of horror, from psychological thrillers, to suspense to B and C Grade slasher flicks. I even found redeeming qualities in the first Blair Witch movie, and continue to defend it as a good psychological film. That being said, I can't find anything redeeming about Grudge 2.
Old 10-13-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
When I saw the original, I thought, "What is scary about a bunch of little screechy goth Asian kids?" If I was being plagued by them, I'd find it more annoying than terrifying. I can't see how the sequel will be any different.
Old 10-13-06, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen Ju-on and the American remake and I gotta say I love the style. I didn't jump but instead, where you would be expected to jump in the American style of horror, I got serious voltage that exploded at the back of my head and gently washed down the back of my ribs and my arms. I love that feeling. I love it and yet I was dreading the next occurence of it. I especially loved how in the first one (the Japanese lower budget one) the effect was done primarily with camera movement and music. And I seriously would be driven to madness if these yowling demons kept popping up out of the corner of my eye. I really enjoy the violence of American style, but while I kinda prefer the electric nightmare of this new (to me) style, I think my preference is based on the novelty of it. I mean Hell, Uzamaki wasn't even scary, but after that one I will never again be the same.

I'll probably watch The Grudge 2 from Netflix, but I would go to the theater for Ju-on 2 which I will be watching from Netflix. Chilling Irony
Old 10-13-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the ending of The Grudge was completely weak, but loved everything else about it. Just about the creepiest movie I've seen since Hellraiser 2.
Old 10-13-06, 03:00 PM

this sequel is doomed from the moment viewers find out that Edison Chen is in this movie.
Old 10-13-06, 03:20 PM

I can't wait to see this movie. I loved the first one. I think most Americans are obsessed with blood and gore and when it is left out of a horror flick they lose interest really fast.
Old 10-13-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, Takashi Shimizu has really gone to the well so much with The Grudge concept, kind of hard not to imagine the guy has tapped out. When the first Japanese Grudge film hit, the genre was still in its heyday, and the non-linear, no easy conclusion concept was neat. Then he just kept doing them, and who can blame him? Aside from some lower budget projects (‟Reincarnation, Marebito‟) the series is his bread and butter.

I'll casually catch part 2 on cable like I did the first one. Being an Asian film fan, I was getting awfully tired of supernatural J-horror four-five years ago.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-13-06 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if I will see this soon or wait for it to the in the second run theater or not. But I was surprised by the first film and ended up being freaked out by it!

I caught The Grudge in a second run theater after assuming the film wasn't going to be 'that' good to see immediately. And surprisingly,the film got under my skin immediately and I left the theater creeped out.

I liked the fractured story structure of the film, which kept me off guard and confused as too when it was taking place and so forth. And this made it even creepier,than had it been told in linear fashion with no flash backs and other sub plots unfolding bit by bit as it moves along.

Will part 2 deliver a good creepy experiance. Or will it be a snoozefest that tries to increase the amount of 'boo' moments and become boring/unintentionally funny instead? That remains to be seen,and thus I'm somewhat unsure if I should see it now,or wait for the dollar theater which is less risky in terms of cost.
Old 10-13-06, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw the first Japanese Grudge back when it came out, and I hated it. Even back then it already felt like a bad pastiche of horror cliches and rip offs from genuinely good films. The repetitive nature of it made it all the more annoying.

Shimizu is a complete hack. He's remade the same film about 10 times now on two different continents, and I just wish those annoying Grudge kids would drag him back down to hell with them.
Old 10-14-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved Ju-On and the Grudge, and I can't wait for The Grudge 2. I don't care what people say, that little boy was creeeeeepy! And I'm a big horror fan.
Old 10-14-06, 03:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was better than I expected, but still a bit disappointing. There were some good ideas introduced here that weren't given enough screen time, and there were some poor plot elements that were given too much time.

For example,
Spoiler:
I loved the scene where the last of the three school girls was in the principal/counselor's office... "What are you talking about... they're right here." It was interesting to see the ghostly versions of others beside the woman and boy. Unfortunately this was treated as a throwaway scene, almost a dream sequence.

On the other hand, the plot twist of the old mother came off as a Ring ripoff. And the element of witchcraft with the 'pulling the evil out' was too undercooked. It could have been an interesting way to evolve the series, like if they had suggested this magic was a way to kill off Kayako... but instead just felt like a half-assed attempt to explain her evil when it became clear they had moved past the original explanation in the first film.

The biggest problem is that Kayako is set up to be more or less undefeatable AND unescapable. This pretty much kills any suspense because you know anyone who comes in contact with the spirits is eventually doomed.

All that said, this still had some good creepiness to it. It's a far better sequel than Ring Two.
Old 10-14-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
I've only seen Ju-on and the American remake and I gotta say I love the style. I didn't jump but instead, where you would be expected to jump in the American style of horror, I got serious voltage that exploded at the back of my head and gently washed down the back of my ribs and my arms. I love that feeling. I love it and yet I was dreading the next occurence of it. I especially loved how in the first one (the Japanese lower budget one) the effect was done primarily with camera movement and music. And I seriously would be driven to madness if these yowling demons kept popping up out of the corner of my eye. I really enjoy the violence of American style, but while I kinda prefer the electric nightmare of this new (to me) style, I think my preference is based on the novelty of it. I mean Hell, Uzamaki wasn't even scary, but after that one I will never again be the same.

I'll probably watch The Grudge 2 from Netflix, but I would go to the theater for Ju-on 2 which I will be watching from Netflix. Chilling Irony
You came?
Old 10-15-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
This was better than I expected, but still a bit disappointing. There were some good ideas introduced here that weren't given enough screen time, and there were some poor plot elements that were given too much time.

For example,
Spoiler:
I loved the scene where the last of the three school girls was in the principal/counselor's office... "What are you talking about... they're right here." It was interesting to see the ghostly versions of others beside the woman and boy. Unfortunately this was treated as a throwaway scene, almost a dream sequence.

On the other hand, the plot twist of the old mother came off as a Ring ripoff. And the element of witchcraft with the 'pulling the evil out' was too undercooked. It could have been an interesting way to evolve the series, like if they had suggested this magic was a way to kill off Kayako... but instead just felt like a half-assed attempt to explain her evil when it became clear they had moved past the original explanation in the first film.

The biggest problem is that Kayako is set up to be more or less undefeatable AND unescapable. This pretty much kills any suspense because you know anyone who comes in contact with the spirits is eventually doomed.

All that said, this still had some good creepiness to it. It's a far better sequel than Ring Two.
My feelings pretty much. I enjoyed the Japanese versions as well as the U.S. remake, and I actually enjoyed this one too. It doesn't make too much sense but it had some good boo moments. I was also like WTF when the old dude was on the train, but I think he was in one of the other movies IIRC now. I'll have to go back and check. Another WTF: Got Milk? girl.
Old 10-16-06, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You came?
Yeah, I guess, but without the goo. Wow. That explains why I like to watch these movies.
Old 10-18-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Shimizu is a complete hack. He's remade the same film about 10 times now on two different continents, and I just wish those annoying Grudge kids would drag him back down to hell with them.
Well, that is a callous comment.

He’s merely playing the game, like so many other directors. The different Grudges were largely in different mediums. It’s a common thing in Japan: the direct to video release lead to the tv movie (or vice versa), which lead to the theatrical film, then a sequel, and then when it went to the American remakes, Shimizu stayed on board. While I’m sure part of his decision was financial, it also suggests that he decided to keep the franchise under his creative control rather than just giving it to someone else, which regardless of wether you like the films (and you clearly didnt), I think that is admirable.
Old 10-18-06, 08:28 PM
Banned by request

I would admire it if he actually made the films different from each other, but he doesn't. He's a one trick pony.
Old 10-19-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would admire it if he actually made the films different from each other, but he doesn't. He's a one trick pony.
Trying something different (The Ring 2) doesn't always make a good sequel.
Old 10-19-06, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

Are you referring to the Japanese Ring 2 or the American Ring 2? Because the Japanese Ring 2 was pretty good until the absurd ending. The American Ring 2 was pretty bad, but still miles beyond any Grudge film.
Old 10-19-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How was America's Ring 2 "trying something different"? If by making it boring, unscary, and way too long is "trying something different", then I fully agree.

They really tried something different.
Old 10-19-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you referring to the Japanese Ring 2 or the American Ring 2? Because the Japanese Ring 2 was pretty good until the absurd ending. The American Ring 2 was pretty bad, but still miles beyond any Grudge film.
The American Ring 2 - man, that was like getting kicked in the nuts - but, better than the Lifetime movie of the week that was the American Dark Water.
Old 10-19-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell me you're kidding? 'Ju-on: The Grudge' is far superior to the American 'Ring 2'.
Old 10-20-06, 12:05 AM
Banned by request

The American Ring 2 had Naomi Watts, which by itself puts it on a higher level than any Grudge movie from any country.
Old 10-20-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The American Ring 2 had Naomi Watts, which by itself puts it on a higher level than any Grudge movie from any country.