Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blood Diamond - Featuring DiCaprio

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this preview before The Departed over the weekend and thought it looked pretty interesting and different than what has been in theatres lately. It does seem like Hollywood is starting to put some more politically charged movies out. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good flick. There's also a debate on imdb.com of whether DiCaprio deserves an Oscar for his performance. Movie also stars Jennifer Connelly, Djimon Hounsou and Stephen Collins from 7th Heaven.

Plot Outline: A farmer, a smuggler, and a syndicate of businessmen match wits over the possession of a priceless diamond.

Trailer at: http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=181&item=1

Any other thoughts on the preview or anyone that has seen the movie want to put in their two cents?

(Tried to search but didn't find anything, sorry if it is a double post.)
Old 10-09-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's good that they are finally shining a light on the very ugly diamond trade in Africa.
Old 10-10-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This looks interesting (and I'm a big fan of political thrillers) but it didn't grab me. I might see it if it gets very favorable reviews.
Old 10-10-06, 08:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
DiCaprio has a rather solid track record with the roles he's chosen for his recent movies. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with this one too. Trailer looks good.
Old 10-10-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
It looks like it could be good. I'll wait for the reviews to decide whether to see it in the theater or wait for the DVD.

What the hell kind of accent is Leo using?
Old 10-10-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
The accent Leo attempts (South African) was absolutely terrible in the trailer. My gfriend and I both laughed out loud in the theater before 'The Departed.'

btw, he received a $20 mil paycheck for Blood Diamond...wow...
Old 10-10-06, 04:45 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Connelly seems to have gotten back some of her figure
Old 10-16-06, 08:06 AM

OOHH...I saw this trailer this weekend when I went to see The Departed. This looks awesome!! I love the pairing of DiCaprio with Connelly...very good looking couple. It is now on my must see list of the winter!
Old 12-03-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
I saw a sneak preview of this last night, and it really is that good. Dicaprio has done quite well lately with this and The Departed. I wouldn't mind seeing it again next weekend.
Old 12-03-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan1boy
The accent Leo attempts (South African) was absolutely terrible in the trailer. My gfriend and I both laughed out loud in the theater before 'The Departed.'

btw, he received a $20 mil paycheck for Blood Diamond...wow...
I thought the accent seemed corny at first, but it wasn't once you watch it.
Old 12-04-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Watched the rave review on Ebert & Roeper, and laughed out loud when the very next commericial was for Zale's Jewelers promoting diamonds as Christmas gifts!
Old 12-04-06, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I saw a sneak preview of this last night, and it really is that good. Dicaprio has done quite well lately with this and The Departed. I wouldn't mind seeing it again next weekend.
Glad to hear you liked it. I was planning on checking out the sneak as well, but was sold out.
Old 12-04-06, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
Watched the rave review on Ebert & Roeper, and laughed out loud when the very next commericial was for Zale's Jewelers promoting diamonds as Christmas gifts!
That is funny.
Old 12-04-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
"In America it's bling-bling. Over here it's bling-bang"...

I think I'll be skipping this one.
Old 12-04-06, 09:56 AM

Although I thought the trailer did look pretty good, the part where leo says "in america is bling bling, and in africa it's bling bang" is really cheesy.

Either way I'll probably check out on a matinee while the wife does her xmas shopping.
Old 12-04-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I think I'll be skipping this one.
Me too. There is no point casting Jennifer Connelly in a film that is rated R only for strong violence and language.
Old 12-04-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must be in the minority, because I think that bling-bang line is good... I am dying to see this, Ed Zwick knows how to make this kind of movie and hopefully it'll deliver... no sneaks near me this past weekend but I'll be there on Friday for sure.
Old 12-08-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good film, but not a great film. All 3 of the principal actors (DiCaprio, Hounsou, and Connelly) deliver very good performances, but the film is simply too long, probably by 10-15 minutes as the story just bounces around Africa and not every pitstop warranted staying in the film when it could have been excised for a leaner, meaner cut of the film.

The spotlighting of the diamond trade (conflict diamonds, and artificially propping up the "rareness" supply of diamonds to keep prices high, and desirable) is almost an afterthought at times, almost getting lost in the stories interweaved amongst the 3 main characters, all of whom have their own agendas in finding the big diamond that was hidden away by Hounsou's character, and work at cross purposes to get what they want. The character development for the main 3 characters over the course of the film is a little uneven, but ends somewhat satisfying and poignant enough.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 12-09-06, 05:26 PM

"Dan1boy

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan1boy

The accent Leo attempts (South African) was absolutely terrible in the trailer. My gfriend and I both laughed out loud in the theater before 'The Departed.'"

I thought his accent wasn't great and mentioned it to a friend of mine who is from South Africa who hadn't seen the trailer. He has since seen the trailer and came back to me and said that his accent is actually very good. He also mentioned it sounded very much like a certain accent in a region of South Africa. I must confess to wanting to criticise his accent a little as I don't really like him as an actor; I'm guessing you feel the same.
Old 12-09-06, 06:18 PM

i too found leo's accent in the trailer to be a bit strained. but i thought the same thing when i saw the trailers for 'gangs of ny', 'the departed', etc. he didn't disappoint me then and he surely didn't this time either. i have a south african friend and found his accent spot on. in fact, i would even go so far as to call this the best performance of his that i've seen.

i found the movie itself to be an okay actioner, but with a lot of problems. in all, i would recommend it, especially if you don't know much about conflict diamonds, because it is an important issue to educate yourself on.
Old 12-10-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

DiCaprio's character is actually from Zimbabwe, not South Africa.

And I think Hounsou's "My family..! My home..! I done LOST... EVERYTHING!!!" might be the new "Give us, us free."

I am planning to see this tonight. It good enough good reviews and I'm still miffed I lost out on Catch a Fire.
Old 12-10-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I am planning to see this tonight. It good enough good reviews and I'm still miffed I lost out on Catch a Fire.
not to thread jack, but i think that was in theatres for a week around me, if that. guess i'll catch it on dvd.
Old 12-10-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dpz301
not to thread jack, but i think that was in theatres for a week around me, if that. guess i'll catch it on dvd.
It was out one week here then they moved it to a single showing at 10:30. Same thing happened with Harsh Times and Let's Go to Prison, two other movies I would've liked to see in matinees.
Old 12-10-06, 12:49 PM
Banned

Good Movie, very emotional. Well worth seeing. It is all action packed and has a powerful message. Leo's accent is fine and you really don't notice it.

Huge spoilers:
Spoiler:
The movie should have ended when archer died

B+
Old 12-10-06, 04:38 PM

The film did lousy at the box-office this weekend, coming in at #5 with earnings slightly over the 8 million mark. Considering that the budget was over 100 mil. (it's rumored that much of it went towards DiCaprio's salary), it's safe to say that this is one of the biggest b.o. disappointments of 2006.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.