Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the Only One Who Thinks Craig Ferguson is a Tool?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only watch him when he has a guest I like. And it seems to be happening more frequently, unfortunately.

When Craig Kilborn left, I knew I would have a hard time liking the replacement. But I started to enjoy Michael Ian Black's guest hosting duties. I thought he was a shoe-in.

Well, after Ferguson's contiuous references to animals and ridiculous sound effects, I can't believe people actually watch his show.

I miss the original Craiggers. As in Kilborn.

Is there anyone who actually enjoys the Late Late Show?
Old 10-06-06, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a similar thread from a whole two weeks ago:

Does anybody actually watch Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson?

I'll just say that in my market, Ferguson is competing with Jimmy Kimmel and Carson Daly, and while I don't watch any of them on a regular basis, when I do, I'll prefer Ferguson every time. 'Course, I'd probably prefer watching a tree stump over those two knuckleheads.

Last edited by Matt; 10-06-06 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think people that don't use the search funtion are tools.

Craig Kilborn was the best thing to happen to late night tv since Magic Johnson... sorry, Kilborn, Daly, & Kimmel are terrible. Ferguson at least tries to do something different with the format.
Old 10-06-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't watch the Late Show much, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think Ferguson is any more of a tool than Kilborn was.
Old 10-06-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Ferguson, its just a shame he's up against Conan. But when Conan's a rerun, I always watch Craig. He offers a slightly different sort of format, IMO. And I prefer his style to the "40 year old frat boy" one of Kilborn.
Old 10-06-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry for not searching :P

everytime I try searching for old episode threads I can never find what I want and it's frustrating. so I didn't even bother. oops.

I dug Kilborn because I loved how into himself he was. And he was decent at interviews. He was nowhere near the quality of the late night vets...but I liked him.

Furguson just talks about the most ridiculous things with his guests, rarely stays on topic, if he's on topic at all, and just seems to have a hard time paying attention.

Okay, time to go check out the thread already started about this.

Old 10-06-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

alright, I read the other post. Looks like most of y'all like him for some reason.

someone please delete this post. lol.
Old 10-06-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
everytime I try searching for old episode threads I can never find what I want and it's frustrating. so I didn't even bother. oops.
I searched for "late show," by thread title, in the TV forum, and the older thread popped right up. Pretty simple.

I dug Kilborn because I loved how into himself he was.
That's precisely why I (and I suspect many others) couldn't stand him.
Old 10-06-06, 01:46 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Craig Kilborn was the best thing to happen to late night tv since Magic Johnson... sorry, Kilborn, Daly, & Kimmel are terrible. Ferguson at least tries to do something different with the format.
What has Ferguson done different? Like him or not, Kilborn had a pretty different approach from anything I've ever seen on tv before and Kimmel has done more with his show than any talk show host has since Letterman was more experimental back in the 80s. I admit I've never really given Ferguson a chance, but from what I've seen, Ferguson just seems like an old guy trying to copy Conan. I watched part of his interview with David Cross the other night and it was terrible.
Old 10-06-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nny
I watched part of his interview with David Cross the other night and it was terrible.
I had seen David Cross on Conan the week before or something and was looking forward to seeing more of him on Furguson...

and I agree with you. :\
Old 10-06-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by nny
What has Ferguson done different?
read...

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
Furguson just talks about the most ridiculous things with his guests, rarely stays on topic, if he's on topic at all, and just seems to have a hard time paying attention.
I love that it appears there is no scripted bullshit they are reading from a teleprompter. Setting up stories and jokes for maximum audience reaction like on every other talk show out there. Fuck that. That isn't an interview it is a pre-rehearsed stage show. Ferguson just seems more personable when talking to guests. The others are just an outlet to make X celeb look good to peddle their wares. Let's not forget all the tired and unfunny skits all the other hosts retread night after night.

He doesn't necessarily do anything new, just offers something different from the bullshit norm. :shurg: Maybe it's just me.

Kilborn was way too into himself for me. Especially for someone who thought he was a LOT funnier than he actually was. If you're going to have an ego the size of Texas then you better have the material to back it up. Kilborn didn't.
Old 10-08-06, 09:59 PM

It should be noted that Fergeson does not do pre-written jokes. His monolouges are improvised, which is a much greater talent than just reading a cue card that a roomfull of writers prepared earlier in the day.

As was already said, his interview style is also very off the cuff. He doesn't pander to the guests in order to set up their lame stores and jokes.

In an interview with Ferguson on NPR he said that he has gained enough power over the show that he can veto guests when he wants to and went so far as to name Tara Reid a one guest he would never have back. You gotta love a guy in show business that actually says what he thinks rather than what will be best for his career.
Old 10-08-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I think he can be very funny at times. Recently Joely Fisher was on (having just had a baby) and her breasts were HEAVING and she was wearing a rather revelaing top. They got to talking about the baby, and he poses this question:

"How are you.....how are you feeding her?"

Complete straight face. Her rxn, as well as the crowd, just had me dying.

Then there are other days where I just don't get his appeal at all.
Old 10-09-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Kilborn was sharp but God, the smugness just got old. The only time I saw him when he wasn't smug I liked him a lot and that was his first broadcast after September 11th. I personally would compare Ferguson to NBC-era Letterman and Conan O'Brien in terms of real innovation and talent for the format.
Old 10-09-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
It should be noted that Fergeson does not do pre-written jokes. His monolouges are improvised, which is a much greater talent than just reading a cue card that a roomfull of writers prepared earlier in the day.

As was already said, his interview style is also very off the cuff. He doesn't pander to the guests in order to set up their lame stores and jokes.

That's what I love. His monologue doesn't try to hit every single daily news item and that's refreshing.

In an interview with Ferguson on NPR he said that he has gained enough power over the show that he can veto guests when he wants to and went so far as to name Tara Reid a one guest he would never have back. You gotta love a guy in show business that actually says what he thinks rather than what will be best for his career.

What happened with Tara? I don't think i saw her interview.
Old 10-09-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

y'all are at least makin' me respect him more.
Old 10-09-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i like feruson, not a favorite though, much better then Craig Kilborn, i could not stand that guy