Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - opinon roundup!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Studio 60 opinon
Horrible in a Sanz way
5.17%
Some promise but not convinced
18.97%
I like it, looking good and sticking with it
52.59%
OMG!!!!111ONEELEVEN - it r0xors!
23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this show is 3 episodes in so far, enough to form somewhat of an opinion at least. Its one of the few shows i started watching this season and I'm so far really happy with it!

Its pretty fresh, the characters are great, the premise is good and so far not boring or overly cheesy. I'm definitely sticking - whaddyathink?
Old 10-05-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far so good. I like most of the caracters, some are a little over the top and get annoying, but I am sticking with it.
Old 10-05-06, 12:33 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
It's between this and Kidnapped for my favorite new show of the season.
Old 10-05-06, 12:45 AM
Suspended

I'll keep watching it until it get's cancelled in a week. I like the show, but the show in the show is about as funny as SNL is now.... meaning not funny at all for the slow folks.
Old 10-05-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Of_Zod
I'll keep watching it until it get's cancelled in a week. I like the show, but the show in the show is about as funny as SNL is now.... meaning not funny at all for the slow folks.
Well, just to be technical, the show ISN'T a comedy.
Old 10-05-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some promise, but I'm not convinced.

The 'show with in a show' not being that good is a major sticking point. Most shows can get away with hyping a character's credentials because the writers can just pull something out of their ass to back it up. But you can't fake funny, and this large disconnect between what the characters believe and what we see is a problem.
Old 10-05-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant wait to see 30 rock.. that i'm i'm fearful of in a big way.
Old 10-05-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Well, just to be technical, the show ISN'T a comedy.
True, but The West Wing was funnier than this.
Old 10-05-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
What did I DISlike about the show?

Sorry, but that's gonna cost you $40 and a free sandwich.......
Old 10-05-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's good, but not as good as SportsNight.
Old 10-05-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoy it and will be sticking with it for the time being...
Old 10-05-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like this show when I'm watching it, but when it is over, I never think about it again or anticipate it coming on again. I think the writing is sharp and I like Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford's acting, but I dont buy Amanda Pete as an network President exec. at like 33...
Old 10-05-06, 08:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm enjoying it as well and plan to continue watching.
Old 10-05-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show may not be a comedy, but Sorkin needs to show us that these people are as brilliantly funny as he's telling us.
Old 10-05-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not the best show on TV, But its solid fare, that so far has a season pass, although I reserve the right to change that.

Old 10-05-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Some promise, but I'm not convinced.

The 'show with in a show' not being that good is a major sticking point. Most shows can get away with hyping a character's credentials because the writers can just pull something out of their ass to back it up. But you can't fake funny, and this large disconnect between what the characters believe and what we see is a problem.

Same here.

I had a similar problem with Sportsnight - just could never get into it.
Old 10-05-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
From what I read, the ratings have been terrible. I think it's having a hard time building an audience. It's a very smart show, but by Monday at 10pm people may be too stupid to enjoy it.

And, WTF, it's not a comedy? I beg to differ. At the very least, it's a comedy-drama.
Old 10-05-06, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
I like this show when I'm watching it, but when it is over, I never think about it again or anticipate it coming on again. I think the writing is sharp and I like Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford's acting, but I dont buy Amanda Pete as an network President exec. at like 33...
Amanda Peet is 34 -- and Jamie Tarses was 32 when she was head of ABC's entertainment division. Since Tarses was a strong supporter of Sports Night when she was at ABC, and since Peet's character was originally named Jaime McDeere according to some early press accounts ... well, it's not too hard to see where Sorkin drew his inspiration for Peet's character.
Old 10-05-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Smart is a pejorative."

das
Old 10-05-06, 10:27 AM

I watched most of the second season of SportsNight on ABC and then some of the first season on Comedy Central. The commercial breaks on CC were so odd that I decided to purchased the show on DVD and watched the entire run twice. A lot of the witty banter is the same on Studio 60 and it's good enough that I may consider renting or purchasing West Wing since I missed out on its entire run.

I am focusing on enjoying the politics and behind-the-scenes machinations of getting a live show on the air. The thing about SportsNight was that while it occasionally used sports as an allegory for the human spirit, it was never really a show about sports.

As for the actual skits on Studio 60, I am instead holding "suspension of disbelief" and instead give them permission to claim "Crazy Christians" and "Commedia dell'arte" has offended sensibilities, is actually funny, or permeated pop culture or without ever having really done. This show is more about how the cast and crew responds to the repercussions of the putting on the show than the actual show itself.
Old 10-05-06, 03:04 PM

one problem I have with this show is the "show within a show" is horribly unfunny.
Old 10-05-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Since the show is already making entertainment headlines as a loser in a ratings free-fall, there's practically no hope of it lasting beyond this season. The media has already decided, more or less. I'd be surprised if it lasts beyond 13 eps. So I'm just enjoying it like a Sorkin mini-series and not expecting it to stick. I *am* surprised that it took its fatal wounds before 30 Rock even got out of the gate.
Old 10-05-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
There are several problems with this show:

1. It is too predictable for anyone who watched Sorkin West Wings. It hits all the same notes, and has the same story arcs...the brutal honesty by a character in the face of advesity, the "brilliant" insight just before a deadline, the smug quips and banter, the "definitive" argument at the end of a debate.

2. Sorkin is not funny and the skits they are showing from the brilliant savior writers of the show are not funny and really hurt the show

3. The characters are not really likeable, they are smart and clever and witty, and ALL THE SAME, for the most part, but mostly they are not particularly likeable or people you want to root for

4. There is not a compelling arc or conflict in the show. It needs a better back story and a better reason for existing.

I have given up as have the viewers apparently. It looks expensive, and Sorkin is famously flaky so this could be one of the first cancelled shows. In fact, NBC would do better to bring back Surface as a companion show to Heroes. They would help each other.
Old 10-05-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnysd
There are several problems with this show:

1. It is too predictable for anyone who watched Sorkin West Wings. It hits all the same notes, and has the same story arcs...the brutal honesty by a character in the face of advesity, the "brilliant" insight just before a deadline, the smug quips and banter, the "definitive" argument at the end of a debate.

2. Sorkin is not funny and the skits they are showing from the brilliant savior writers of the show are not funny and really hurt the show

3. The characters are not really likeable, they are smart and clever and witty, and ALL THE SAME, for the most part, but mostly they are not particularly likeable or people you want to root for

4. There is not a compelling arc or conflict in the show. It needs a better back story and a better reason for existing.

I have given up as have the viewers apparently. It looks expensive, and Sorkin is famously flaky so this could be one of the first cancelled shows. In fact, NBC would do better to bring back Surface as a companion show to Heroes. They would help each other.
You are missing #5 - the walk and talk, brilliantly parodied by the MADTV crew. No one can sit down and talk to each other on any Sorkin show.
Old 10-05-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt really care for it. Characters seemed a bit too full of themselves. I didnt like them.
I stopped watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.