Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New MPAA study - Piracy hurts janitors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the imdb:

U.S. Losing $20.5 Billion to Movie Pirates

In an analysis of figures by the Motion Picture Association of America showing that motion picture piracy costs the major movie studios $6.1 billion in revenue, the Texas-based Institute for Policy Innovation has concluded that piracy costs the entire U.S. economy $20.5 billion per year. The figure takes into account losses to theater operators, video retailers, ad agencies, advertising-supported media outlets accountants and lawyers, set makers, janitors and suppliers and includes $5.5 billion in annual earnings losses for U.S. workers and $837 million in annual tax revenue. Commenting on the findings, MPAA Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman said, "Motion picture piracy hurts not only the movie business, but triggers a harmful domino effect that results in lost jobs and wages for American workers inside and outside the industry."
i know piracy is wrong and everything, but really, janitors?!? Now the MPAA is trying to sell that Piracy affects the working class American. Come on!!!
Old 10-02-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why do they keep doing studies? Do they think they're gonna hit a point where we care?
Old 10-02-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Why do they keep doing studies? Do they think they're gonna hit a point where we care?
yes, they probably think sooner later the pirates will stop, but they won't.
Old 10-02-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had the anti-piracy previews before theater showings with people building the sets crying about this (not sure about janitors being in it). Boo-hoo. How 'bout not paying the stars 50mil and spreading that loot around.
Old 10-02-06, 08:46 PM

Does no one care about the fluffers??!!!!
Old 10-02-06, 09:20 PM
Banned

I don't get it...

The janitors working at the studios or the janitors working at the theatres? Are there less movies being made? Because I sure as hell don't see less people in the theatres. At least not to the point where they wouldn't need janitors anymore...
Old 10-02-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Janitor: What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?
Old 10-02-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And what about illegal mexican immigrants who pick the corn that gets used in the theater popcorn? Every time you download a movie, their children go hungry!
Old 10-03-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps they can make some progress if they spent more time fighting piracy and less time doing studies.

Next up: "Study finds the workers who make Milk Duds are feeling the terrible effects of piracy."
Old 10-03-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Piracy helps the janitors that clean the places where blank discs are made.

Please, think of their families.
Old 10-03-06, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
That article is misleading. Domestic piracy has no adverse effect on the US. economy, however overseas piracy does. Pirates need supplies. The money they spend on discs, cases, etc. goes into the economy. They spend the profits they make which trickles down through the econmoy. If a legit copy is $20, and someone buys a bootleg for $10, they spend that other $10 on something else. It's how much consumers spend not what they spend it on. Basicly the money is shifted from the movie industry to other industries. Movie studios are hurt by domestic piracy but not the economy overall.
Old 10-03-06, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In other news, releasing crappy movies week after week results in sub-par ticket sales.
Old 10-03-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how many janitors buy pirated movies?? Now that would be a good study...
Old 10-03-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Studies show that MPAA studies into piracy are heavily biased and should always be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Old 10-03-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Ok, seriously. When is someone going to publicly call these studies out on the fact that their central assumption (if a pirate downloads a film, they would have bought it otherwise) is flat-out wrong.

Even if they had taken that into consideration, I think the ratio is so small of people that would buy the films they download that it wouldn't make much of a dent in profits either way.
Old 10-03-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, maybe i'll go around and steal clothing that I don't really like, but since it's free I don't mind wearing it. That's fair.
Old 10-03-06, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seantn
Yeah, maybe i'll go around and steal clothing that I don't really like, but since it's free I don't mind wearing it. That's fair.
Are you trying to imply there is no difference between stealing physical inventory and making a digital copy of something?
Old 10-03-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you trying to imply that stealing is ok?
Old 10-03-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Are you trying to imply there is no difference between stealing physical inventory and making a digital copy of something?
Downloading movies illegally is stealing. It's bad. That's why it's called stealing.

If you don't want to pay for a movie, don't see it. If you have a desire to see it, then pay for it.

Making a digital copy robs people of revenue. By downloading a movie, you are likely to not see it in the theatre. (Unless with every movie you download you see in theatre, rent, or buy the DVD). If you say, "No, I had no plans to" --- then why download it? To "check it out"? Read reviews. See the trailer. Wait for it on TV.

Now, just because I think piracy is a problem doesn't mean I don't see (some) studios as being extremely greedy. There's two sides to the coin.
Old 10-03-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn right! Think of the janitors. These poor people can barely afford to feed their families, let alone look forward to purchasing their favorite films on DVD multiple times as they are continuosly repackaged with amazing value-added bonus features. The next time you bootleg a film, just remember that a movie theater custodian may be losing out on an opportunity to buy the 4th version of "The Usual Suspects".
Old 10-03-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I wonder if these numbers include people ripping DVDs they've purchased for their own personal use? I'm sure they're inflated either way, but that would make them out and out laughable. I'm against piracy and don't own an illegal copy of any movie or cd, but I'm waaaaay more against studios and labels using the threat of piracy as a means to restrict my rights as a legitimate consumer.
Old 10-03-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Downloading movies illegally is stealing. It's bad. That's why it's called stealing.

If you don't want to pay for a movie, don't see it. If you have a desire to see it, then pay for it.

Making a digital copy robs people of revenue. By downloading a movie, you are likely to not see it in the theatre. (Unless with every movie you download you see in theatre, rent, or buy the DVD). If you say, "No, I had no plans to" --- then why download it? To "check it out"? Read reviews. See the trailer. Wait for it on TV.

Now, just because I think piracy is a problem doesn't mean I don't see (some) studios as being extremely greedy. There's two sides to the coin.

Downloading a film could also lead to the possiblity that you will see it the theatre, rent it, or buy the DVD.

Example: Brotherhood of the Wolf

Limited Released Film (initially)

I downloaded the film and loved it. I then watched in the theater and bought two editions of the DVD and now plan to buy the HD-DVD (EU Release).
Old 10-03-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I wonder if these numbers include people ripping DVDs they've purchased for their own personal use? I'm sure they're inflated either way, but that would make them out and out laughable. I'm against piracy and don't own an illegal copy of any movie or cd, but I'm waaaaay more against studios and labels using the threat of piracy as a means to restrict my rights as a legitimate consumer.
Don't forget the number of people that buy used copies. The studios get nothing from used sales...right?
Old 10-03-06, 01:17 PM

What about the janitors that film the bootlegs? I think they make more money.
Old 10-03-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kajs
What about the janitors that film the bootlegs? I think they make more money.
Christ!

I forgot about the actors who play janitors in films that are bootlegged.

I wonder if they'll be affected.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.