Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Departed - review thread

Pages : 1 [2]

slop101
03-04-07, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I got that impression too - but really deep in the closet, as in even lying to himself.

The way he kept calling the firemen "faggots", or how he couldn't "perform" in bed (which, by the by, is one way of saying the baby the psychiatrist is pregnant with is Leo's), or his nervous comment to Baldwin how his dick works "overtime", etc.

The Bus
03-26-07, 01:33 PM
And on that note, i was under the impression that even though Damon knew Leo was the rat. Leo didnt know that Damon was. So if Leo never saw the envelope would Damon let Leo go free? There would be nothing to gain by killing him at that point, now that he is promoted and all loose ends were dead except for Leo, but he still at that point had no clue it was Damon. (until of course Leo found out who Damon was).

So my thought was that if he didn't see the find the envelope he could of just gone home insted of being killed later on in the elevator shaft.

No, that's right. Sullivan (Damon) didn't delete Costigan's file until he realized that Leo knew who he was.

<hr>

A quick question:

Early in the film, Damon is out on the beat with his partner, interviewing an older woman about her son. Then, Costello's car drives by and he says, "Wave hi to your mother!" and someone who looks like Leo waves. She then sees the car and stops talking to Damon.

Who was in the car? Was it her son? I thought her son had been killed after he robbed the microprocessors. This never made much sense to me.

taa455
03-28-07, 01:48 AM
I've read thru this thread after just watching the movie tonight and I have questions.
If the brown envelope contained evidence implicating Damon, why did Leo mail the CD to the Psychiatrist? Why didn't he just contact her and tell her to open the envelope? And why didn't Leo contact Marky Mark directly? Wahlberg knew his identity and could vouch for him. Together they could have taken the evidence to the police and the police then could have arrested Damon at his home. Great movie but the ending just seemed sloppy by Leo's character.

The Antipodean
03-28-07, 02:14 AM
I've read thru this thread after just watching the movie tonight and I have questions.
If the brown envelope contained evidence implicating Damon, why did Leo mail the CD to the Psychiatrist? Why didn't he just contact her and tell her to open the envelope? And why didn't Leo contact Marky Mark directly? Wahlberg knew his identity and could vouch for him. Together they could have taken the evidence to the police and the police then could have arrested Damon at his home. Great movie but the ending just seemed sloppy by Leo's character.

Watch it again - The envelope WASN'T to the psychiatrist, it was to Damon and had his name on the envelope and a note to him on it. Leo had no idea that the psychiatrist and Damon were together. It was sent to Damon to warn him that Leo had the goods on him.

taa455
03-28-07, 08:43 AM
Watch it again - The envelope WASN'T to the psychiatrist, it was to Damon and had his name on the envelope and a note to him on it. Leo had no idea that the psychiatrist and Damon were together. It was sent to Damon to warn him that Leo had the goods on him.
Ah, cool. Thanks.

taa455
03-28-07, 11:34 AM
Went back and watched the end again.

This time I noticed the envelope containing the CD was addressed to Colin Sullivan (Damon). I get that now. However, I still wonder why Bill (Leo) didn't find Dignam (Wahlberg) himself and bring the evidence to him. Dignam could have vouched for Bill, given him his identity back and brought credibility to Bill's entire story. The only two explanations I can think of are 1) maybe Bill didn't fully trust Dignam, although it seemed he did trust him or 2) maybe Bill had no way of finding Dignam but somehow Madolyn knew how to find him.

And another question came up for me. Why didn't the other police mole(Barrigan?) just lay low and let Sullivan take the fall? I guess maybe Barrigan thought Sullivan knew about him and would rat him out?

Anyway no big deal. Didn't ruin the movie or anything. Just wanted to get some other thoughts on this.

The Bus
03-28-07, 03:09 PM
Well, remember the last time he met with Dignam they were about to fist fight. Costigan (DiCaprio) later met Captain Queenan and sort of patched things up but he never really talked with Dignam again and he made it clear that the psychiatrist was the only person he really trusted.

QuePaso
06-20-07, 06:30 AM
I know im late to the game, but ive been playing catchup on my blu-rays and just got done watching it.

I couldnt believe how it all went down at the end. And i was so blown away by walhberg at the end. I thought the rat on the roof was a bit much, but just what an AMAZING movie that i cant get over. So glad i finally watched it.

hardercore
06-20-07, 07:25 AM
I know im late to the game, but ive been playing catchup on my blu-rays and just got done watching it.

I couldnt believe how it all went down at the end. And i was so blown away by walhberg at the end. I thought the rat on the roof was a bit much, but just what an AMAZING movie that i cant get over. So glad i finally watched it.
Glad you liked it. The more I re-watch this film, the more the rat thing settles with me as something Scorsese put in just for a chuckle. Apparently Bill wrote it in the script. It's just a "hey, look at the irony! Despite us building this place up in the film as an upscale apartment, a rat managed to get up here.

RichC2
07-06-07, 09:03 AM
Well its only a few months late (heh) but Roger Ebert finally gave his two cents on this flick: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/REVIEWS/70705002

Rival11
07-11-07, 04:58 PM
Alright, first - I loved it (seen it a while ago just never bothered to post) but this film does not hold up well to multiple viewings.

It's pretty one dimensional charcter and story wise and while that's prob the point, I just have a hard time watching this film multiple times.

Some of the acting is pretty laugable at times and too over the top (Baldwin's first speech in the room while showing the pictures - one too many jokes when each picture popped up....overkill).

But it hasn't swayed me from my initial reaction upon seeing it - definitely a great film and the best of 2006.

slop101
07-11-07, 05:34 PM
Alright, first - I loved it (seen it a while ago just never bothered to post) but this film does not hold up well to multiple viewings.
hm. If anything, I like it more the more I see it. On each viewing the script reveals itself to be a tightly plotted marvel, and the dialog stays fresh. There's a lot of detail in there if you look closely. Though I agree about the characters being a little flat, but they're still a lotta' fun.

JPRaup
07-11-07, 05:38 PM
I like this film the more I see it

RichC2
07-11-07, 10:03 PM

It's pretty one dimensional charcter and story wise and while that's prob the point, I just have a hard time watching this film multiple times.

Some of the acting is pretty laugable at times and too over the top (Baldwin's first speech in the room while showing the pictures - one too many jokes when each picture popped up....overkill).

But it hasn't swayed me from my initial reaction upon seeing it - definitely a great film and the best of 2006.

I always found it better on repeats, theres lots of subtext to the folks losing their minds, and the Damon being a closet homosexual theory get funnier (for some reason) every time.

hardercore
07-11-07, 10:24 PM
It gets better on repeat viewings. I agree with RichC2, you pick up the subtleties in the performances, the dialogue, the narrative, and things you thought were stupid the first time seem to work better.

Rival11
07-11-07, 10:35 PM
I'll give it yet another try soon. Myabe I'm being too damn picky I don't know. Something just bothers me about it when I keep trying to play it through and through. I did pick up on a lot of things I didn't catch the first time through as well.

One thing I do love though is how isolated Decap's character feels - you really feel it and that's some damn good acting.