Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Remake/Sequel headed for Summer.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-01-06, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weekend of Horrors released info that this movie is now on track for a Summer of 07' release.

Doubt it will make the 07' summer release with the studio problems, but it's obviously still an alive project.

--------

EXCLUSIVE 'Friday the 13' Remake Aiming at a July 2007 Release?
Posted: October 1, 2006 @ 5:27pm | Source: Bloody-Disgusting
B-D reader 'xerotheory7803' sent in this little update on New Line Cinema and Platinum Dunes' delayed Friday the 13th project. Xero tells B-D, "I just got back from the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors in Jersey and got a little bit of news to share with you. After the 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning' Panel, I was talking with Andrew Form, one of the producers who is also producing the new 'Friday The 13th', and he said that the remake, which is tied in a rights battle right now, should be in theaters by July 2007. He also exclaimed that they will fight to the bitter end to make sure it is released with an R rating, no PG-13 bullshit for Jason Voorhees." We've also heard some positive rumbling here in Los Angeles and hope to have some big news for you soon!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/
Old 10-02-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The film is fine as it is and does not need to be remade!

It is possible to make a sequel and make Jason scary again though. I've had a great idea,that could do just that,if they're interested.
Old 10-02-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"fight to the bitter end to make sure it is released with an R rating, no pg-13 bullshit"? It's a sad world we live in when we have to read something like this about a Friday the 13th movie
Old 10-02-06, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a great idea
Tell!

It would be cooler if they were fighting for NC-17 and none of this R bullshit.
Old 10-02-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It'd better be on the 13th of July.

I don't think a remake of the origonal would be successful today. People hear Friday the 13th, they want Jason in his mask, not his mother killing with Jason in the lake. Sequeal is the way to go (even if it takes the Godzilla route and counts the first few and discards the other as part of the history.)
Old 10-02-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They've already made it clear that it's not a remake, it's just going to be in the spirt of parts 1-4.
Old 10-02-06, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JMcCraw
Tell!
Well I thought it would be cool to bring some mystery back to the series. The fear of the unknown and what lurks in the shadows type of deal.

For example,imagine living in Crystal Lake,knowing of the unstoppable murderous being lurking somewhere out there. Imagine how freaky that would be,where you're never sure when he could strike,or if you're being watched/stalked. Imagine trying to sleep at night knowing that,as the wind howls and the shadows run deep.

The bulk of the film could have someone(maybe the people mentioned in next paragraph) snooping around the county investigating the legend. With flashes to townspeoples reaction to the murders in parts 2-4,with information on some people who have witnessed Jason lurking about one night(say kids at a camp ground,late at night,pear out the window and see the shadowy monster stalking the woods and no one would believe them if they told about it).

Meanwhile a new group of high school/college age young adults begin to explore the legend for fun,since they think it's all made up. Only soon people begin disappearing and being slaughtered in graphic fashion. And a brutal night of survival is in store,since the legend is no campfire story anymore.

So keep Jason in the shadows most of the time,add alot of unease,dread,tension,suspense,mystery,fear. And it's bound to be a scary fun experiance again and make you fear Jason instead of root for him.
Old 10-02-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Well I thought it would be cool to bring some mystery back to the series. The fear of the unknown and what lurks in the shadows type of deal.

For example,imagine living in Crystal Lake,knowing of the unstoppable murderous being lurking somewhere out there. Imagine how freaky that would be,where you're never sure when he could strike,or if you're being watched/stalked. Imagine trying to sleep at night knowing that,as the wind howls and the shadows run deep.

The bulk of the film could have someone(maybe the people mentioned in next paragraph) snooping around the county investigating the legend. With flashes to townspeoples reaction to the murders in parts 2-4,with information on some people who have witnessed Jason lurking about one night(say kids at a camp ground,late at night,pear out the window and see the shadowy monster stalking the woods and no one would believe them if they told about it).

Meanwhile a new group of high school/college age young adults begin to explore the legend for fun,since they think it's all made up. Only soon people begin disappearing and being slaughtered in graphic fashion. And a brutal night of survival is in store,since the legend is no campfire story anymore.

So keep Jason in the shadows most of the time,add alot of unease,dread,tension,suspense,mystery,fear. And it's bound to be a scary fun experiance again and make you fear Jason instead of root for him.
But the whole point of the Friday the 13th films is to root for Jason. They are mindless gore fests that are all about the kill, nothing more. If they want to shake things up a bit, they could add some more mythology to the story and reveal something major about Jason that people didn't know before. But that's about it. The Friday the 13th films were never about the people, I can hardley remember caring about any of the teenagers aside from Crispen Glover. So having a film that barely shows Jason would go against everything that made the series so much fun. People came for Jason and they want to see Jason. As long as the film is well shot, has decent dialog, clever kills and adds more to the Jason mythology, it will be fine. There is no reason to make it into a mystery film when people already know who the killer is. But this is all just my opinion. Maybe others will agree with you?
Old 10-02-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original is a great horror movie. It has been done again and again and again with sequels. Why go back and rehash?
Old 10-02-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the plotline from IMDB:

"Jason Voorhees returns to Crystal Lake just in time for three events; the Homecoming Dance which is being held at a newly renovated Crystal Lake, the return of his one time victim Chris Higgins to help deal with her memories, and his father who holds the key to Jason's past... and future"
Old 10-02-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
But the whole point of the Friday the 13th films is to root for Jason. They are mindless gore fests that are all about the kill, nothing more. If they want to shake things up a bit, they could add some more mythology to the story and reveal something major about Jason that people didn't know before. But that's about it. The Friday the 13th films were never about the people, I can hardley remember caring about any of the teenagers aside from Crispen Glover. So having a film that barely shows Jason would go against everything that made the series so much fun. People came for Jason and they want to see Jason. As long as the film is well shot, has decent dialog, clever kills and adds more to the Jason mythology, it will be fine. There is no reason to make it into a mystery film when people already know who the killer is. But this is all just my opinion. Maybe others will agree with you?
From my viewing experience, I wasn't rooting for Jason in the first 5 movies. It wasn'tuntil 7, he truly became an anti-hero. Maybe it makes me a wimp, for still being scared of the first 4 movies. Especially 2 and 3.
Old 10-02-06, 08:49 PM

I've never rooted for Jason either. I think it's pretty twisted to be rooting on a killer to slaughter people in graphic fashion. The point of the graphic murders was not 'wow that's cool',but more of the scare of being killed yourself in painful graphic fashion.

And for the Jason films,look at parts 2 and 3. Most of the running time,Jason is kept to the shadows. A few select people get bumped off. But it's not until near the end when the body count truly rises and Jason is revealed. And part 3 especially has the scariest and most thrilling finales of the series,that still keeps me on edge to this day!

Also look at how effective the original is. A lot of the murders are offscreen,while the few onscreen graphic ones are used for maximum shock value. And that's why Kevin Bacons death is stilll a big jump moment in the film. But had every single death scene been shown in graphic fashion and tons of people died every minute. It would be far less effective and boring.

So my idea is more in line with the first three films in terms of building a sense of dread and maximum impact when the deaths occur. And I think it's possible to make a scary Jason film again if given a shot.

+ I don't think they've done a good job of Jason as 'anti-hero' in the last two Jason films. He was not frightening or anything in Jason X(also the kills were bland and goreless,which doesn't work considering the outrageous tone of the film). While he wasn't scary in Freddy Vs Jason either and blandly used his machete for nearly every kill. Which despite some gore makes for dull death scenes,since they all seem the same.

Meanwhile despite Jason being somewhat intimidating and frightening in part 7. The direction of the film is dull and bland,and showing Jason alot further takes away the impact. That I'm not on the edge of my seat by the end and am fighting the urge to doze off.

Jason Lives(part 6) on the other hand,is the only Jason film that shows Jason alot, and was still effective. Where he was still one scary intimidating being. And the film managed to be frightening,funny,entertaining and fun while keeping you on edge from begining to end.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 10-02-06 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I've never rooted for Jason either. I think it's pretty twisted to be rooting on a killer to slaughter people in graphic fashion. The point of the graphic murders was not 'wow that's cool',but more of the scare of being killed yourself in painful graphic fashion.

And for the Jason films,look at parts 2 and 3. Most of the running time,Jason is kept to the shadows. A few select people get bumped off. But it's not until near the end when the body count truly rises and Jason is revealed. And part 3 especially has the scariest and most thrilling finales of the series,that still keeps me on edge to this day!

Also look at how effective the original is. A lot of the murders are offscreen,while the few onscreen graphic ones are used for maximum shock value. And that's why Kevin Bacons death is stilll a big jump moment in the film. But had every single death scene been shown in graphic fashion and tons of people died every minute. It would be far less effective and boring.

So my idea is more in line with the first three films in terms of building a sense of dread and maximum impact when the deaths occur. And I think it's possible to make a scary Jason film again if given a shot.

+ I don't think they've done a good job of Jason as 'anti-hero' in the last two Jason films. He was not frightening or anything in Jason X(also the kills were bland and goreless,which doesn't work considering the outrageous tone of the film). While he wasn't scary in Freddy Vs Jason either and blandly used his machete for nearly every kill. Which despite some gore makes for dull death scenes,since they all seem the same.

Meanwhile despite Jason being somewhat intimidating and frightening in part 7. The direction of the film is dull and bland,and showing Jason alot further takes away the impact. That I'm not on the edge of my seat by the end and am fighting the urge to doze off.

Jason Lives(part 6) on the other hand,is the only Jason film that shows Jason alot, and was still effective. Where he was still one scary intimidating being. And the film managed to be frightening,funny,entertaining and fun while keeping you on edge from begining to end.
I see your point, but just look at the fandom surrounding Jason. There was recently a thread here where all people talked abut were the kills. Same reason why most of the DVDs have a "Jump to the Death" feature. So twisted or not, people do root for him in the films. If that bothers you, then you shouldn't be watching this type of film. This is not Wolf Creek where the story is written so you are susposed to sympathize and identify with the victims and hate the killer. It's the other way around. That's why all the victims are written so thinly and are portrayed as annoying stereotypes. There comes a point in every film when you want to see some of them killed off. That's how this kind of film works. Sure they always have one "good" protagonist that you follow through the film, but they are only there to have someone to take you from point A, to point B, to point C. Also they can tend to be the one person you kind of care about and hope they make it to the end. But if the Friday films were really their story, don't you think that you would be seeing a little more characterization there? Plus the ones that do make it are killed off quite unemotionally in the sequel if they are asked to come back. So I really don't see how anybody would go to a Friday film and be upset when Jason starts killing everyone. It just doesn't make sense. Jason has become a pop icon now and people want to see him as much as possible. Why do you think so many fans were fighting over who would win in Freddy Vs Jason? It's because people love him. Nobody gave a crap about the teens he killed in the film. They rooted for Jason.

I agree that the first 2 films were effective, but there is no way the franchise can go back to that kind of "unkown lurking evil" scares unless a new killer or something is introduced. And the reason why everything was kept to shadows in the first film was because we were unsure who the killer was at that time. It was a new film and people were left guessing until the end. Same goes for the second film since it was the first time a grown up Jason was seen on screen. It was something new. I just don't see how it could be scary to rarely show Jason in a new film when it is painfully obvious that he is the killer, unlike in the first two films. It is bound to piss more people off then scare them. Also, from a screenwriting standpoint it just won't work unless you add some major changes to the story.

I enjoy the Friday the 13th films, but in my mind they are just trashy popcorn fun. It's all about misbehaving teens getting creativly hacked up in the woods. However I really can't see how a Friday film can be truly "scary" again, not counting the lame jump out and shock you moments. It is all about the atmosphere and the kills. That is what people want to see. If things change too much like in Jason X, the audience just won't respond to it. The franchise has pretty much been run into the ground. That is why I feel that the only way to pull this new film off is just to stick to what the audience wants. Feature Jason as a unstoppable killing machine and I guess some people could still get scared by the fact that you can always see him, but can't kill him. You can still make the film dark and gritty and have it take place at night in the shadows, but don't try to make a mystery out of it. People paid to see Jason, so show them Jason.

All in all I appreciate this debate that we are having. It is interesting to see someone elses take on it and I am in no way saying that you are flat out wrong in any way. You make some very good points, but I just happen to disagree with you on some things. I'm sure you feel the same way about me.
Old 10-03-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
From my viewing experience, I wasn't rooting for Jason in the first 5 movies. It wasn'tuntil 7, he truly became an anti-hero. Maybe it makes me a wimp, for still being scared of the first 4 movies. Especially 2 and 3.
Like Freddie and Michael Myers, after the first couple of sequels, they were nowhere near as scary or as effective as they once were.
Old 10-04-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to play Friday The 13th for Nintendo.

= J
Old 10-04-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I used to play Friday The 13th for Nintendo.

= J
that game was impossible...it didn't make any sense...i've got in on my emulator...i think i'm going to go try it again
Old 10-04-06, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
once you get that pitchfork you own Jason
Old 10-04-06, 02:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
The original is a great horror movie. It has been done again and again and again with sequels. Why go back and rehash?
because no one in Hollywood has any original ideas anymore...
Old 10-04-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pictures of the new Jason Vorhees!

More at this link:
http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/s...hees-unmasked/
Old 10-04-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, but I'm guessing you missed this...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...th-merged.html

Mods, maybe you want to merge this one as well?
Old 10-04-08, 01:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Pictures of the new Jason Vorhees!

More at this link:
http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/s...hees-unmasked/
glad they went with Kane Hodder physique.
Old 10-22-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Teaser trailer can be found here.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=12938
Old 10-22-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why do people keep bumping the wrong thread?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...th-merged.html

And that "teaser" is just the first half of that Comic-Con footage. The real trailer premieres this Friday in front of Saw V.

Mods: might want to merge this with existing thread.