Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Venture Brothers – “ˇViva los Muertos!” – 10/1/06

“ˇViva los Muertos!”
Written by Benjamin Edlund
Spoiler:
When Dr. Venture finally succeeds in attaining the holy grail of super-science — the revivification of a human corpse for fun and profit — a washed up gang of wandering former teen sleuths is convinced that the Venture Compound is haunted. Their investigation uncovers something far creepier. Meanwhile, Orpheus shepherds Brock through a crisis of conscience with the help of a New Age shaman and a bizarre tea party.

This episode airs Sunday at 10:30 p.m. EDT and again Monday at 2:30 a.m. on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim, or you can watch it now via streaming video at Adult Swim Fix.
Old 10-01-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, that was just so sick and wrong.
Spoiler:
Whatever fond memories of Scooby-Doo I might have had at one time have been destroyed. Re-imagining Velma as Valerie Solanas seems so natural once you see it.
The best thing Ben Edlund has written since "The Tick vs. Filth?" I think so. What a great season this has been - pisser there are only two more episodes left.
Old 10-01-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm dying to see this episode, especially for the Scooby-doo spoof, but I've been too swamped at work the last two days. That should change in about two hours!
Old 10-02-06, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I missed this episode last night. So far the season has been tremendous.
Old 10-02-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Loved how the Scoobies thought the Brothers were ghosts instead of clones.
Old 10-02-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It had funny elements, but can't we PLEASE stop parodying Scooby-freaking-Doo in things now? I saw that van and the Fred and Daphne clone and I wanted to vomit white death into a bucket, too.
Old 10-02-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with Scooby Doo parodies is they've been done to death. Wow, Velma is a lesbian, how original.

Why not make Fred gay, and Velma a dominatrix who wears a leather boustier under her sweater, and have Shaggy paranoid because Velma ties him down and abuses him every night. At least that'd be something I haven't already seen in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Harvey Birdman, and the Scooby Doo movies.
Old 10-02-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Great episode - but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the music and sound effects are so loud in the mix that the dialog gets drowned out - it's actually pretty annoying.
Old 10-02-06, 12:09 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved how the Venture Bros. discovering their clones looked like it was going to be some massive, show-changing revelation, and then Dr. Venture managed to snap the Bros. out of it by just telling them it was Christmas present.
Old 10-02-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Great episode - but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the music and sound effects are so loud in the mix that the dialog gets drowned out - it's actually pretty annoying.
Oddly enough, if i watch the episodes on the computer the audio mix is fine...on TV it gets drowned out.
Old 10-02-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as the Scooby-doo parody, I liked the touch that Scooby-doo can't talk at all and Shaggy seems to be a paranoid schizophrenic hearing the dog giving him evil commands.
Old 10-03-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
That was annoying. I never heard it this bad before though or never notice it being this bad before.
Old 10-03-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
the audio mix has been horrible. i had to rewind a few times, and even put on CC to get some of the lines. hopefully that doesn't show up that way on DVD.
Old 10-03-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the sound comments. This eps opening through the eyes of the Henchman was just nuts with all the music, effects, 21 and 24 talking and the Monarch on the communicator.
Old 10-03-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I agree with the sound comments. This eps opening through the eyes of the Henchman was just nuts with all the music, effects, 21 and 24 talking and the Monarch on the communicator.
Yeah, I couldn't make out a word during the entire opening either. I couldn't catch most of what the dog was saying, but what I did catch was pure evil.

Although I'm no fan of scooby doo or scooby doo parodies, this one was pretty good. A seriously freaked out Shaggy and a satanic scooby. Pretty cool.
Old 10-03-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I assumed the opening was meant that way to simulate the craziness of war, a la Saving Private Ryan/Starship Troopers, etc. But yeah, there were audio problems throughout the episode. Someone prolly messed up the levels when seeding it out for broadcast.
Old 10-04-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
I assumed the opening was meant that way to simulate the craziness of war, a la Saving Private Ryan/Starship Troopers, etc. But yeah, there were audio problems throughout the episode. Someone prolly messed up the levels when seeding it out for broadcast.
Could be. I watched it on the Adult Swim site and it came through fine.

This was a seriously f-ed up episode, even by Venture standards! I enjoyed the Scooby-Doo parody, even though I was hoping for a "running through a series of doors" sequence.

"Patty, being out of your box isn't a right, it's a privilege. Baby, you don't wanna go back in your box, do you?"
Old 10-04-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Then there was Brock's fever dream with him naked, being suckled by a giant female version of his old commander...
Old 10-04-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I sure wish they would make this a 50 episode season.