Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Rachael Ray - too much R&R will make your head EXPLODE!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-28-06, 10:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone else been watching this?

I admit I used to kinda like this chick. Back when she did $40 a day she was cute, spunky and looked like a fun girl to hang out with, even when she did wear that horrid orange eyeshadow whenever she did a show in the tropics.

What the hell happened!!! Oprah seems to have sucked all the charm out of her and reached inside her and flipped the volume button up to 17!

When I heard she was ditching the food network for a syndicated one hour talk show I was worried. After all, her inside dish show was not exactly compelling. She's too much of a sychophant to really interview anyone famous and she is definitely NOT one to be giving fashion tips to her female demographic.

The show itself is a headache inducing, brain numbing mess that has enough jazzy music and flashy graphics flying across the screen to cause an epileptic fit! And only God knows why she now feels the need to SHOUT everything she says for the entire hour! Honey, there's a reason your voice sounds like u gargle with glass. Tone it down a few notches! Less is more for chrissake!

But the sad truth is too much RR is not a good thing. There's a reason 30 minute meals is her biggest success. Stick to the food and keep it to 22 minutes babe!

Am I wrong on this? Does anyone else feel this show somehow isn't working? Only time will tell I suppose but for now apparently ratings are good...I guess I'll buy stock in an aspirin company.
Old 09-28-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She used to be really fun and cute. Now she's just annoying. Sounds a lot like my first marriage.

das
Old 09-28-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Her man-hands frighten me.
Old 09-28-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did she really leave Food Network?
Old 09-28-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, she is still doing all her shows. A few lines of coke should keep her energy up.

I tried watching her new talk show but it was the biggest nothing show. Hardly any content whatsoever. That and the screaming. Ugh.
Old 09-28-06, 11:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oprah is a god (not 'THE GOD'), so Ray will survive. Oh well ...
Old 09-29-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I remember the first week's ratings, the results were sort of mixed. Ratings were up over what aired last year, but they weren't up as much as hoped. I think this show might actually die after a couple of years.

My wife has been watching it faithfully due to her morbid curiousity. From what I have seen, it seems clear there just isn't a show here. It's sort of a pity -- that moving audience thing had to have set them back a little bit of money.
Old 09-29-06, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If I remember the first week's ratings, the results were sort of mixed. Ratings were up over what aired last year, but they weren't up as much as hoped. I think this show might actually die after a couple of years.

My wife has been watching it faithfully due to her morbid curiousity. From what I have seen, it seems clear there just isn't a show here. It's sort of a pity -- that moving audience thing had to have set them back a little bit of money.
Couple of years? I'm thinking a couple of months. I tried to watch the episode where they were on set with CSI NY ... brutal. I couldn't make it to the on set footage. I'm sure there are females out there that like it ... but not my GF. And she's a die hard Oprah and Dr. Phil fan.

Anyway, I liked her about three years ago on Food Network ... when she did 30 Minute Meals and nothing else. But now, she's just ... just ... as others have stated ... ANNOYING!!

JMO
Old 09-29-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Definite overexposure... and not the good kind.
Old 09-29-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Her man-arms frighten me.

fixed.
Old 09-29-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smokinscurvy
Couple of years? I'm thinking a couple of months.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Look at the lifespan the Tony Danza show had. If that's not evidence enough that even terrible talk shows get a couple years, check out Tyra.
Old 09-29-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
She used to be really fun and cute. Now she's just annoying.

das
My thoughts exactly...Her new show is basically unwatchable.
Old 09-29-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll say this about the show -- while it's not entertaining or a good show, it does explain a lot about what went wrong in raising Ray to create the person she is today. The stories she shares are almost all horrifying in the same way Bill McNeal's story about a month's worth of sandwiches made all at the same time was horrifying.
Old 09-29-06, 11:53 AM

she COULD always get better too...altho at this point I think Martha Stewart has got nothing to be worried about...

today's show was actually not too bad. She focused more on food and money saving tips and actually had some useful information.

but yesterday was just awful. I can't believe Jeff Probst put up with her bullshit. Aside from the uncomfortable forced chemistry meant to imply they were old friends she kept nagging him about the harsh environment the 'survivor' contestants have to put up with. Hello? That's the whole point of being on the damn show!

even worse was last week's James Caan/Las Vegas show episode where she embarassed herself by making inane comments about The Godfather movies and the pre-taped segment featuring the cast made it appear nobody knew who the hell she even was.

She needs to spend less time chatting up the audience members too. Nobody cares about some stupid 3 minute boring ass story from some nobody who happened to stumble into a show taping

..and stop pointing out the fact that you have a big ass! Yea, we all see you have big hips. Maybe some of us even like that about you! You don't need to point it out once every show. I would think she was just being insecure if not for the tight pants she seems to prefer wearing. Fire your stylist!
Old 09-29-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think they told her there are mics, and she thinks she needs to yell for the audience to hear her.
Old 09-29-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to the audience with these story issues is fine, but it means they need somebody quizzing the audience members on the way in and choosing who gets to talk. At one point, she called on somebody to tell a story and that person instead totally changed the subject and asked her a question about her life. It was profoundly awkward.
Old 10-01-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I didn't even know she had a talk show until last week. It caught me off guard, so I watched it. Pretty much what everyone else is saying echoes my thoughts. Her show kind of meandered through the hour, without much to go on.

The girlfriend got a kick out of her, since she hadn't ever seen her before. We don't have cable or satellite, so it was a new experience for her.
Old 10-01-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
I'm a big Rachael fan but I've yet to watch the show. It just didn't sound like a good idea for her. I know she likes to do different things (and I'm sure the money dangled wasn't bad) but it sounds like the typical "fish out of water" situation.

I wonder if the show's producers are kissing her ass and telling her how great she's doing instead of offering constructive feedback. I'd hate to see her fail but maybe that might be good in the long run.
Old 10-01-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
She used to be really fun and cute. Now she's just annoying. Sounds a lot like my first marriage.

das
ZING!
Old 10-04-06, 08:50 PM

Egads!

Perky syndication debut for "Rachael Ray"

Newcomer "Rachael Ray" cooked up the best debut for a syndicated talk show since "Dr. Phil's" launch four years ago, according to Nielsen Media Research data for the week ending September 24.

"Rachael Ray" averaged a 2.3 household rating, ranking No. 4 in the talk genre. It was the best rating for a talker's debut week since "Dr. Phil" averaged a 4.4 in September 2002.

Coincidentally, both are proteges of talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, whose show led the genre last week with an average 6.5 rating for its 21st-season premiere. It was followed by "Dr. Phil" (4.9) and "Live With Regis and Kelly" (3.1).

Her audience must be the same crowd who finds Dr. Phil entertaining..Today I noticed Rachael has also adopted Oprah's most ANNOYING habit of announcing guests' names with what I can only describe as 'sustained bellowing' the way a wrestling announcer speaks. You probably recognize it most easily on the Oprah's Favorite Things shows when she announces each item in this way...'and now UGG boots for EVERYYYYYYYYONNNNNNNNEEEEEE'
Old 10-05-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by bluesix
..and stop pointing out the fact that you have a big ass! Yea, we all see you have big hips. Maybe some of us even like that about you! You don't need to point it out once every show. I would think she was just being insecure if not for the tight pants she seems to prefer wearing. Fire your stylist!
Caught Rachael on both Dave and Conan. Did not mind watching her assets in motion during the short walk to their couches.

If they have guest-starring roles on her show, I might have to start watching..
Old 10-05-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i work from home once a week.. usually the TV is on in the background the entire time.. i turned on RR the first week, and couldn't believe how annoying she was, and how bad the show was.

but for some reason, i can't stop watching..
Old 10-05-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
OK, you guys are making me Tivo this trainwreck for a few days, just out of curiosity........
Old 10-05-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somebody shoot her with a Ritalin dart.
Old 10-06-06, 09:19 AM

I liked her on $40 a Day, but then I realized that she would leave only a 5% tip and hated her from there on out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.