Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it "Texas Chain Saw Massacre" or "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the different iterations of the DVD's some are spelled with the space in Chain Saw and some without. So what the hell is the real way to spell this?
Old 09-27-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the latter, but should be the former.
Old 09-27-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neither. It's "Ghost Busters".
Old 09-27-06, 11:05 AM
Banned

Neither. It's "Ghost Busters".
Actually, it's "Se7en".

I'm not familiar enough with TCM to know what the actual on-screen title is but the absolute slavishness to the onscreen title in movies like "Ghostbusters" and "Seven" (yeah, you read them right) is ridiculous.

God forbid the person that designs the titles of a movie does something creative like substituting a "v" with a "7" (or a long single compound word being broken up for the sake of space), from that point on you have websites like IMDB adhering to something that appears onscreen for a few seconds while every other example from the advertising to merchandise to the script uses the more conventional spelling.

Go to IMDB and do searches for "Batman Forever", "AI: Artificial Intelligence", "Alien vs. Predator" and "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and you'll find some hilarious alternate titles: the word "Batman" is represented by a logo in "BF" so "Forever" is listed as an alternate title. The words "Artificial Intelligence" appear on-screen first and then shorten to "AI" so it's listed on IMDB as "Artificial Intelligence: AI" and the "AvP" initials appear first and the extend to "Alien vs. Predator" so it's listed as "AvP: Alien vs. Predator".

But "The Talented Mr. Ripley" takes the cake. It's inventive title sequence cycles through many adjectives until settling on "Talented". Look at what IMDB lists:

"The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley" - USA (complete title)
I mean, how hilarious is that? Some anal-retentive nerd sat down and transcribed that due to this ridiculous "what's on-screen is the official title of the movie, no exceptions!" mentality.

But hey, if you wanna go into a video store and ask if they carry "The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley" more power to you.

Also, for what it's worth, IMDB claims to go by the original on-screen title of films that appeared during their first public screening where admission is charged, yet they list "The Evil Dead" instead of "Book of the Dead", which people paid money to see theatrically on October 15, 1981 (which is my exact date of birth by the way).
Old 09-27-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I either found it on imdb or wikipedia but apparenlty Tobe Hooper thought the word chainsaw had a space between, hense the on screen title the texas chain saw massacre.
Old 09-27-06, 12:34 PM
Suspended

But hey, if you wanna go into a video store and ask if they carry "The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley" more power to you.
I want to know if you actually typed that out, or if you copied and pasted from IMDB.
Old 09-27-06, 01:21 PM
Banned

Copy and pasted from IMDB.
Old 09-27-06, 05:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley
Great, now I have to go make a custom cover for this so it's correct!

Old 09-27-06, 08:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Here is what each incarnation is actually titled:

THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE [1974]
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE [2003]
Old 09-27-06, 09:02 PM
Banned

The more I look at that "Ripley" title the more hilarious I find the thought of someone adding that to IMDB as the "complete title".

I remember when IMDB used to have obsessively-complete character names, too. Instead of "Fox Mulder" and "Dana Scully" you would have "Fox William 'Spooky' Mulder" and "Dana Katherine 'Starbuck' Scully" but they wisely did away with that somewhere along the line.
Old 09-27-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Back in 1974, it was "Chain Saw"

But by the time the first sequel came out in 1986, it became one word, "Chainsaw."
Old 09-27-06, 10:27 PM
AJH

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid...en&q=chain+saw

Google knows all.

Last edited by AJH; 09-27-06 at 10:28 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 09-27-06, 11:14 PM

I have the original theatrical AU daybill for texas chainsaw, and it is indeed spelled chainsaw.
Old 09-28-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have that daybill too.
Old 09-28-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's always been chainsaw to me!
Old 09-29-06, 08:37 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Banky
I have the original theatrical AU daybill for texas chainsaw, and it is indeed spelled chainsaw.
And that ranks over the actual on-screen title card how?
Old 09-29-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
And that ranks over the actual on-screen title card how?
Cuz Steve Irwin was Australian and he died by an Aussie Stingray Massacre.
Old 09-29-06, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That Mr. Ripley thing on the IMDB has bugged me for years. Unfortunately, it's easy to add crap into the IMDB, but very hard to delete.
Old 09-29-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Cuz Steve Irwin was Australian and he died by an Aussie Stingray Sting Ray Massacre.
Old 09-29-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doh!
Old 09-29-06, 12:33 PM
Banned

That Mr. Ripley thing on the IMDB has bugged me for years. Unfortunately, it's easy to add crap into the IMDB, but very hard to delete.
It doesn't really bug me because it's completely valid under what IMDB considers the official title of a movie, it's IMDB's definition itself that bugs me.