Smith - 09/26/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Smith - 09/26/06

"Two"
Spoiler:
Hope fears that Bobby participated in the museum robbery in Pittsburgh; Annie asks Tom and Jeff to work on a side job involving identity theft.

Cast: Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Simon Baker, Amy Smart, Jonny Lee Miller, Franky G, Shohreh Aghdashloo.
Director(s): Christopher Chulack.
Producer(s): John Wells, Christopher Chulack, Brooke Kennedy.
Writer(s): John Wells.

Original Airdate: September 26, 2006.

Smith
Old 09-26-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like to give this show another shot. But I have to start making cuts. This show was just too slick and cold for its own good. It would make a good movie.

I am out.
Old 09-27-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Not a great show, but it's leisurely and kind of enjoyable. Seems to be building toward something, and I have nothing else to watch at 10 pm Tuesdays.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-27-06 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they drop Michelle Hurd after one episode? I think she was part of the regular credits for the pilot.

Also, if they were going to play this cops and robbers thing out, they should've gotten someone who could go toe-to-toe with Liotta acting-wise. Maybe Michael Biehn or Peter Weller, or perhaps a TV actor who isn't currently on a show like Dylan McDermott, Dennis Franz or Joe Pantoliano.

Anyone get a Heat vibe when they all met at the shipping yard?
Old 09-27-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the Italian Job vibe.
Old 09-27-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
As for the episode, I got real tired of Virginia Madsen going all secret agent... Stick with the crime.

Edited for stupidity

Last edited by TheMovieman; 09-27-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 03:01 AM
Banned

Was the payout meeting place the Redfoot meeting place from The Usual Suspects?
Old 09-27-06, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
Was the payout meeting place the Redfoot meeting place from The Usual Suspects?
yeah I think so and as mentioned the dock area looks like or was the same one from Heat. They even parked in the same basic area/view.

I'm going to guess they did that on purpose being it's a TV show about heists same as the films.. IMO, both locations are too well known to show up in the same ep of a tv show as an "opps". Heck even the view from the roof with guard running in was sort of like the film Family Business but then again it might just be that there is not really that many different ways to shoot stuff like that.

as for the show over all I really liked this ep too.. pretty good pace as far as a mix if short story lines and longer over all plot lines. Sure it's only been two eps but I'll keep waching..
Old 09-27-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Liotta looks like shit.
Old 09-27-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this second episode was pretty good. Looks like Amy Smart might be the one that could lead to having the gang found out, while the psycho guy now has a drug dealer after him for killing his brother and cousin. I guess him stealing the motorcycle shows how unbalanced he is, as that is something you definitely don't want to do if you are trying not to attract attention to yourself.

Can we have one show or movie whereby the thief doesn't pledge that he is quitting for good soon? This has got to be one of the most overused plot devices ever.
Old 09-27-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I liked the second episode. I don't think there's anything "original" about this show but I like Amy Smart and Simon Baker's characters and performances.
Old 09-27-06, 10:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Liotta looks like shit.
one word ... plastics.

butcher job.
Old 09-27-06, 10:05 AM

i liked this episode better than the pilot.

the wife subplot doesnt make sense. liotta's been a crook for years. why would his wife all of a sudden be suspicious?

speaking of references, there was a little goodfellas reference when amy smart wanted a bigger payout (like the toupeed guy in goodfellas). not identical, but similar reactionsby liotta (instead of deniro).
Old 09-27-06, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
I twhile the psycho guy now has a drug dealer after him for killing his brother and cousin. I guess him stealing the motorcycle shows how unbalanced he is, as that is something you definitely don't want to do if you are trying not to attract attention to yourself.
baker's gotta get a haircut and new shades.
Old 09-27-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
one word ... plastics.

butcher job.
He must have went to see the same doctor that Burt Reynolds visited.
Old 09-27-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yeah, Liotta doesn't look good at all...not sure why his face is all puffy like that -- almost looks like a medical condition or something.

What was that motorcycle stealing/race all about...other than a "time filler"???

I didn't like this episode as much as the pilot...but I like Liotta enough to keep watching - for now, at least.
Old 09-27-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the wife subplot doesnt make sense. liotta's been a crook for years. why would his wife all of a sudden be suspicious?
I got the sense that the wife knows but because she is on probation, to protect themselves in case he gets caught, she doesn't ask and he doesn't tell.
Old 09-27-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Help me out... wasn't Liotta fired from his job last week?
Old 09-27-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Help me out... wasn't Liotta fired from his job last week?

The guy wanted to fire him, but Charlie (the woman that gives Bobby the jobs) either owns the company or has some sort of overall sayso as to who stays and who goes. Obviously the job was given to Bobby so he looks legit. When the boss offered him the 3 months pay to leave, Bobby made a thinly veiled threat about taking it up with Charlie. The boss fumed a bit but walked out of his office defeated.
Old 09-27-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i liked this episode better than the pilot.

I think the point is that they're supposed to have stopped any criminal activity that they used to be involved in. Specifically because the wife is on parole right now. He's still doing jobs behind her back, and she's suspicous/worried that he is. The point is that they're supposed to be a normal couple now, legit and working 9-5's.
Old 09-27-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor
The guy wanted to fire him, but Charlie (the woman that gives Bobby the jobs) either owns the company or has some sort of overall sayso as to who stays and who goes. Obviously the job was given to Bobby so he looks legit. When the boss offered him the 3 months pay to leave, Bobby made a thinly veiled threat about taking it up with Charlie. The boss fumed a bit but walked out of his office defeated.
Thanks.. I must have missed that little tidbit.
Old 09-27-06, 09:20 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally Posted by Legolas

Anyone get a Heat vibe when they all met at the shipping yard?
Usual Suspects and Heat. They all meet at the Usual Suspects place, then head to the shipyard where Deniro set up Pacino so he could take pictures of them. As well as in Heat, the crew was on a job to steal precious metals, the next job the Smith crew is set to take on.
Old 09-27-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anybody know the song playing at the end of the episode? Almost sounded like Thom Yorke.
Old 09-27-06, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ClarkKentKY
Anybody know the song playing at the end of the episode? Almost sounded like Thom Yorke.
Yep, it was "Black Swan" by Thom Yorke.
Old 09-27-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes that is thom yorke, "black swan" off his solo album and he's actually singing, "this is fucked up. fucked up.". who ever is choosing the music has an eclectic taste. last week's closing song was Hide and seek by imogen heap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.