Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'SPL: Sha Po Lang'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-06, 11:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of SPL: Sha Po Lang at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19828 and...would like to read a review of the new region 1 Dragon Dynasty release (retitled 'Kill Zone'). I'm not buying anything from the Weinsteins until I read a decent review. I'd love to read one before buying it. Thanks!
Old 09-25-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
The HK disc is Region 0 NTSC. Why not just buy that?

Personally, I find the generic new title an offensive enough reason to not buy the Weinstein disc.
Old 09-25-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Macho King
I read Ian Jane's DVD review of SPL: Sha Po Lang at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19828 and...would like to read a review of the new region 1 Dragon Dynasty release (retitled 'Kill Zone'). I'm not buying anything from the Weinsteins until I read a decent review. I'd love to read one before buying it. Thanks!
Macho, I should have the review done at latest by tomorrow evening. From viewing the first disc of the Dragon Dynasty release, I must say I'm really impressed with the DVD thus far.
Old 09-26-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
The Weinstein's hired Bey Logan, formerly of Hong Kong Legends, to oversee all their Asian DVD's on Dragon Dynasty. I think that was a very smart move on their part.
Old 10-01-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I have this disc and I really like it. Although I found Bey Logan's reasoning for the new title pathetic at best (the meaning of the original SPL title gets explained effectively during the opening text so there was no reason to add Kill ZOne to the title), he certainly provides a very enjoyable audio commentary. I also really liked the commentary he did with Donnie Yen for the fight scene deconstructions.
Old 10-02-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
You know, it isn't even so much the fact that they retitled it that bothers me, but that they gave it such a generic direct-to-video title that has nothing to do with the movie.
Old 10-02-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched this via Netflix last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The name change is, indeed, pointless and bland, but the video and audio are excellent, and the portions of the commentary I listened to were quite interesting. Now I'm looking forward to the future Dragon Dynasty releases.

I haven't looked into any reviews for this edition, so does anyone know if it was released without cuts? That'd certainly be a first for the Weinsteins...
Old 10-02-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You know, it isn't even so much the fact that they retitled it that bothers me, but that they gave it such a generic direct-to-video title that has nothing to do with the movie.
I agree wholeheartedly. To be honest, if they were so obsessed with changing the name, they should have called it Father's Day. That's what the film was almost called because, according to Bey Logan, it was considered that even the Chinese market would find the title too obscure.
Old 10-07-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24247

I forgot how much fun it is to bash the brothers Weinstein!
Old 10-07-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh heh. Great review. And your brief comment on the retitle expresses the very problem with the new title quite nicely.