Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.5'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 04:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Todd Douglass Jr.'s DVD review of Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.5 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23967 and...
the set does not cost $50 and I am glad he knows why the scenes were cut, because I thought they were needed.
Old 09-25-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$49.98 (MRSP) then, which really is quite ridiculous.

das
Old 09-27-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
$49.98 (MRSP) then, which really is quite ridiculous.

das
It's definitely an STG (screw the geek) situation. Instead of putting it out as one season set and milking the public for $70 MSRP, they break it up into two sets at $50 MSRP a pop. Sci-Fi geeks and Anime geeks are in the same boat, the companies know that they'll shell out the extra dollars.

As for season 2.5, I agree with the part of the review that said it wasn't as strong as the first half. However the ep Downloaded was a work of art.

What I disagree with was that the ending of the season was shocking. I predicted precisely what would happen part-way into "Lay Down Your Burdens part 1"

For anyone thinking of watching the show, don't hesitate to pick up season 1 and get going. I was one of the hold-outs against the series when I found out how much it deviated from my beloved original Battlestar. A customer asked me to hold a copy of season 1 if a used one came in, and when I got it he said he'd buy it after I watched it. I sat down intending to watch one or two eps, so I could tell him I just didn't like it. Instead he had to wait for a week as I devoured the series.
Old 09-27-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It's definitely an STG (screw the geek) situation. Instead of putting it out as one season set and milking the public for $70 MSRP, they break it up into two sets at $50 MSRP a pop. Sci-Fi geeks and Anime geeks are in the same boat, the companies know that they'll shell out the extra dollars.
Had Sci-Fi not split up Season 2 into two distinct mini-seasons, I doubt very much if Universal would have done the same with the DVDs. The splitting had more to do with getting the first half out on DVD before the second half aired on Sci-Fi than anything else. That being said, I agree that the cost of the last two sets were too high for the number of shows fans were getting.
Old 09-27-06, 06:12 PM

I don't get this talk about the $50 price. Who the hell pays MSRP anyway??? Maybe only those who do all their DVD buying at places like FYE. Most stores don't charge MSRP.

It cost me $34.99 at Best Buy. I don't consider that bad. And the series is excellent.
Old 09-27-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MSRP is a fixed value useful for comparison. Comparing one title's MSRP to another's MSRP has value. Comparing what you paid for something at Bob's DVDiscounts with what I paid at Jack's DVD Crack Shack is meaningless as there are countless unrelated factors that could affect the price.

Based on the MSRP of other similar titles, $49.98 MSRP for half a season is absurd.

das
Old 09-28-06, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
MSRP is a fixed value useful for comparison. Comparing one title's MSRP to another's MSRP has value. Comparing what you paid for something at Bob's DVDiscounts with what I paid at Jack's DVD Crack Shack is meaningless as there are countless unrelated factors that could affect the price.

Based on the MSRP of other similar titles, $49.98 MSRP for half a season is absurd.

das
Best Buy is hardly Bob's DVDiscounts. MSRP is completely meaningless. What point is there in comparing a price that most stores do not charge, and most consumers do not pay?

Many chain stores, with the notable exception of WalMart, are uniform with their prices. Also, sites like DVD Price Search are a good place to look for the actual prices.

The lowest listed price for this right now is at Amazon for $31.87, which anyone can get anywhere. That's $18.11 less than the so-called MSRP. That is a substantial difference.

And no price listed is over $40. So trying to diss this set in light of a high MSRP is what is absurd.
Old 09-28-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me slip on my Bad Idea jeans ...

I believe you're missing the point of the criticism. No one is saying the average person will pay MSRP. We all know this. MSRP is simply a fixed value, set by the manufacturer, that is unlikely to change for a long time. If it helps you, replace the comment "$49.98 MSRP for half a season is absurd" with "$31.87 at Amazon as of 9/28/06 for half a season is absurd." It's the same thing. Except Amazon might not be charging $31.87 tomorrow or the next day, and Best Buy may never charge that. However, the MSRP will be the same as compared to the MSRPs of other titles for many months and maybe indefinitely. This is why I said, "Based on the MSRP of similar titles ..." The comparison is not between a $50 MSRP and $50 worth of groceries, as you won't pay $50 MSRP. The comparison is between one title with a $50 MSRP (that will likely be discounted to the mid-$30s) against another title with a $50 MSRP (that will likely be discounted to the mid-$30s). Each store will discount a title differently, based on countless factors that have nothing to do with the manufacturer, but they all start from the same base MSRP.

Take the following example:

Lost S2 - MSRP $59.99 - Amazon.com $36.76 - Best Buy $49.99 - 24 episodes, extra disc of unreleased features
BSG S2.5 - MSRP $49.99 - Amazon.com $31.87 - Best Buy $44.99 - 10 episodes, a few extra features

Based on MSRP, you're paying 83% of Lost's price for barely 40% of its content.

Based on Amazon.com's price, you're paying 87% of Lost's price for barely 40% of its content.

Based on Best Buy's price, you're paying 90% of Lost's price for barely 40% of its content.

No matter what system you use, the pricing is absurd when compared to similar products (interestingly, in this case, MSRP gives the best relative difference ). We use MSRP, however, because it will remain constant tomorrow and the next day. It is independent of shipping costs or loss-leader sales or gimmick promotions. Todd could just as easily have written, "$31.87 at Amazon.com as of 9/28/06 is a hard pill to swallow for only half of a season when you're typically paying that much for a full one". It means the same thing. The point is the same. Using MSRP simply gives constant frame of reference and, as such, is a much more valid comparison. When someone reads his review 2 months from now, the MSRP will almost certainly still be the same. Who knows what Amazon.com and Best Buy will be charging then.

Now, you might not have a problem being gouged at essentially twice the cost per episode of the average television set, and that is certainly within your prerogative (I myself pay HBO's outrageous prices without blinking), but the comment in the review and my subsequent support of that comment are far from absurd. That most people do not pay MSRP is immaterial to the base criticism.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-28-06 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 06:27 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

woah, hey a thread!

Thank you for making those points Das. I did say MSRP simply for the fact that is what Universal suggests that retailers sell the product for. We all know that aside from FYE or Suncoast nobody sells DVDs for MSRP so it's really a moot point.

I could have said something about paying around $35 for the set, but compared to other television series (MSRP or otherwise) the dollar amounts just don't add up. Not only that but, like Das said, nobody will pay the same price and no retailer will offer the same price forever. If I had said "$31.87 at Amazon.com is a hard pill to swallow for only half of a season" then I'd probably be getting emails correcting me that the price was wrong and someone paid more than that.

When talking about DVDs and judging something based on its cost it's only fair (in my opinion at least) to base that judgement on MSRP. In that regard, not for nothing... the original season of Battlestar Galactica had an MSRP of $59.98 for 13 episodes and a 3 hour + mini-series. Comparatively Universal is asking $49.98 for 10 episodes and an extended one from the prior half season. Even by those standards the pricing seems out of whack.

By discussing pricing I'm not knocking the show. Cost is associated with purchasing the DVD, not quality of the product. I personally love Battlestar Galactica and it's easily one of my favorite shows, but it's very similar to the Star Trek pricing (which gave fans a bitter taste in their mouths).

-Todd