Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Abandoned (Nacho Cerdà/Richard Stanley)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-24-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While looking into Richard Stanley's work since Dust Devil, I came across a listing for The Abandoned. Nacho Cerdà (who did the ever-so-revolting Aftermath) handles directing, and Stanley co-wrote the screenplay.

An American film producer named Marie returns to her homeland, Russia, where he mother's dead body has been found under bizarre circumstances. She never knew her, having been adopted and brought to America as a baby. The only clue to what might've happened is an isolated, abandoned farm in the mountains that supposedly belonged to her natural parents...
Further synopsis at the official site.

This apparently premeired at TIFF just a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen any mention in the usual round-ups or in DVD Stalk's horror picks. The few comments I've found generally describe it as one of the scariest genre flicks in years.

Trailer via YouTube

Looks pretty damn good.
Old 09-27-06, 03:41 PM

I can't wait for this 1. I love Aftermath and Genesis and can't wait to see what Cerda did with this 1.
Old 10-08-06, 11:02 PM

I think this is in that horror festival.
Old 02-22-07, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, was this actually any good? Because the trailer looks awful.
Old 02-25-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Stupid, stupid subforum. (couldn't find a thread for this)

I saw this yesterday and was miffed that I had to drive an hour to see a movie playing in 1000 theatres. Note to self: never ever again go to Cherry Hill. It makes the crowds here seem like they're at the Met to watch an opera. Smoked-up teens were playing musical chairs and wrestling in the last few minutes.

Thankfully, even this disgraceful sideshow of New Jersey bozos wasn't enough to deter from this movie. The movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar. At best, it was like a more graphic version of The Machinist: a tight, brainy, gory thriller. At worst, it was like the more boring versions of the domestic version of The Ring 2: atmostpheric, but absolutely boring. The latter did not occur often and when it did it was only for a brief period of time. The result is a movie that's less graphic than Aftermath and slightly less meaningful than Genesis. It's not a masterpiece, and I was expecting more from Cerda: the result plays out like a very good episode of Masters of Horror.

Recommended, but don't go to Cherry fucking Hill to see it.
Old 02-26-07, 03:19 PM

I just saw it this weekend and I thought it was one of the best horror films I've seen in a while. I prefer the ones that build atmosphere and get into your head. I think this has one of the creepiest "I'm in the forest and I'm by myself" scenes. Plus there are some disturbing images with a hint of lovecraftian flair about it. Makes you keep saying to yourself "What the hell was that?" but in a good way. After I saw this at the last showing of the night it kind of stuck in my head and creeped me out. I say definitely check it out.