Strange thing playing music on Xbox 360

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-24-06, 11:16 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think it will shuffle my mp3s

wether I play them off a USB drive or my ipod, it will play them in the list as is OR let me rearrange the list. I cant seem to get it to play randomly. Yes I push that button with the crisscrossed arrows (thats random right?) and still it plays them one after the other. Any ideas?
Old 09-24-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed this also but I play mine from the computer with WMC. Another weird thing is that when I play music my sub isn't used even though it says it is on the display for my receiver. When I play a game I get tons of bass, but when I play music, the only bass comes from the other speakers.
Old 09-24-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Yep. Mine won't shuffle either.

I'm using Connect 360 on my Mac.
Old 09-24-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
That's odd. I play mp3s all the time (off of a 2GB memory stick inserted in one of the front USB ports) and it shuffles. I have a launch-day premium system.
Old 09-24-06, 07:22 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you playing the music in the background of games or while you're on the dash or with the full blown music visualizer going. I dont know if mine randomizes then but during games and while on the dash it definately doesnt.
Old 09-24-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine shuffles just fine.
Old 09-25-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
are you playing the music in the background of games or while you're on the dash or with the full blown music visualizer going. I dont know if mine randomizes then but during games and while on the dash it definately doesnt.
Good point. I only listen to the music while gaming.
Old 09-25-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Good point. I only listen to the music while gaming.
I've never done this. Do you hear anything from the game? Does it replace all audio?
Old 09-25-06, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've never done this. Do you hear anything from the game? Does it replace all audio?
I just started doing this recently and was amazed by how it handles this. It shuts off the in-game audio tracks, but none of the sound effects. Definitely awesome.
Old 09-25-06, 09:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It usually just replaces the music track, keeping sound fx and whatnot intact. And you can go into the game's settings and adjust the sound fx to music ratio. But it often overrides all the audio in cutscenes, so be careful with it.
Old 09-25-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started doing this yesterday. I didn't realize that I could use my 360 to play music while gaming. I usually turn down the sound while gaming and listen to music in the background. I finally realized that I could go into the game, turn off all of the sound, and stream music from my computer over the 360. Of course, I don't do it with any games that I need sound for...
Old 09-25-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dealer
I just started doing this recently and was amazed by how it handles this. It shuts off the in-game audio tracks, but none of the sound effects. Definitely awesome.
It is different game to game. MS also built it to where developers can control your music. If they have a cutscene or part of the game that they absolutely want you to hear the music, they can pause what you are playing while their cutscene plays and then once it is over unpauses and gives you control back.
Old 09-25-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh ok wow. Thanks guys. I may finally have a reason to put my music on my computer and a reason to by one of those usb memory thingys...
Old 09-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only game I currently don't play music over is COD2......for some reason it just messes me up listening to music from today while playing a game set in the 40s.
Old 09-26-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I went a purchased my first USB drive. I got a small cheap LEXAR 256mb drive just to experiment with this whole thing so we'll see....
Old 09-27-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK...you actually want the two arrows going to the right to make it shuffle. It is sooo annoying. The icon on the music player doesn't show what mode you are in but rather what mode you will turn on if you press it.

Martin: I have to laugh because I am ususally rocking out to Kelly Clarkson or Club music when I play COD2! LOL Maybe that's why I keep losing! ;-)
Old 09-27-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang
OK...you actually want the two arrows going to the right to make it shuffle. It is sooo annoying. The icon on the music player doesn't show what mode you are in but rather what mode you will turn on if you press it.

Martin: I have to laugh because I am ususally rocking out to Kelly Clarkson or Club music when I play COD2! LOL Maybe that's why I keep losing! ;-)
I'm looking for attention
Not another question
Should HO TANG stay or should he go?
Well, if you don't have the answer
Why you still standin' here?
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Just walk away
Just walk away
Just walk away

Hey HO TANG when the heck you gonna play COD again?? You keep sayin you're going to but you never do?!?!

I don't listen to music in COD just for the fact I wouldn't be able to hear people trying to sneak up behind me to give me the beatdown.
Old 09-27-06, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It is different game to game. MS also built it to where developers can control your music. If they have a cutscene or part of the game that they absolutely want you to hear the music, they can pause what you are playing while their cutscene plays and then once it is over unpauses and gives you control back.
Ahh cool, I was playing Burnout Revenge and it makes sense that it would be geared to that sort of operation.
Old 09-27-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I'm looking for attention
Not another question
Should HO TANG stay or should he go?
Well, if you don't have the answer
Why you still standin' here?
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Just walk away
Just walk away
Just walk away

Hey HO TANG when the heck you gonna play COD again?? You keep sayin you're going to but you never do?!?!

I don't listen to music in COD just for the fact I wouldn't be able to hear people trying to sneak up behind me to give me the beatdown.
OK....I have not laughed that hard in AGES!!! I will play again. I just can't on Monday nights. Today is the first day I have turned on the 360 in a while. I am going to try to finish COD2 today since I am at home sick. I'll keep checking for game times.

I rarely use music from the original game. I have a playlist for each genre and it is a lot of fun. The one that is most fun is campy showtunes while playing Saints Row :-) I think I am going to do a War Era one today for COD2 to see if that puts me in the mood to win. :-)
Old 09-27-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't get playlists to stream over media connect. I can't figure out how to make it work. Very frustrating.
Old 09-27-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I am going to do a War Era one today for COD2 to see if that puts me in the mood to win. :-)

Good idea! I have the Band of Brothers soundtrack.. Maybe I'll try that..
Old 09-27-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR
I can't get playlists to stream over media connect. I can't figure out how to make it work. Very frustrating.
When you select music does it show your PC as a choice? If not, make sure the media connect service is running on your PC as I had this problem before. Make sure the service is set to automatic startup (unless you would want to manually start it each time).
Old 09-27-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Media Connect to my PC is really hit or miss. Both the console and my compute are wireless, both can be online, but they can't always connect. Anyone have any suggestions? What process should be running on my computer that allows connection?
Old 09-27-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. And I was going to make a crack about listening to Korn or Limp Bizkit during COD2. What you listed is much worse.
Old 09-27-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
When you select music does it show your PC as a choice? If not, make sure the media connect service is running on your PC as I had this problem before. Make sure the service is set to automatic startup (unless you would want to manually start it each time).

Oh, I can stream music no problem. But only 2 playlists show up, and they are for certain CDs. Whenever I create a playlist, they never show up as an option. I have made the playlists in both WinAMP and iTunes and have placed them both in my root folder and in individual album folders, but nothing I do makes them show up.

Maybe I need to make the playlists in Windows Media Player? Either way, it's a PITA.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.