Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Why do people want DVD labels?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around and I noticed a lot of DVD labels for movies that have been officially released to DVD. The only reason I think a DVD label would be beneficial would be if it was used for a DVD that was never officially released, such as Monster Squad or something. Do people actually cover the studio artwork on factory discs with labels? How stupid is that?

The only thing I can think of is that they are used for bootlegs. My only reason to burn DVDs is for things not on DVD, maybe OOP or versions of a movie that were not officially released a certain way (widescreen version of a movie only in pan & scan officially). Am I missing something here with these DVD labels?

I can understand custom covers. A lot of studio covers are ugly. But they are not permanently replaced, you don't have to get rid of the original cover. With a label, that's on there for good. At least, it's not gonna be easy to take off. I hate boxsets of movies/ tv that don't contain keepcases. I will be using custom covers for the Superman 14 disc set. But I am not an idiot, and I'm not gonna plop labels over the disc artwork!

Last edited by marioxb; 09-24-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-24-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your missing the point here. People use the labels for their DVD backups. The discs I use have a printable surface. I don't think anyone covers the studio artwork on the actual disc cause that my friend would be lame sauce.
Old 09-24-06, 03:01 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy, here we go with the whole "DVD backups" argument again. Wish I had the energy to fight this battle yet again, but I'll just shorthand it.

ME:

THEM:

ME:

Ahem, you are correct, Mario. The labels are used for bootlegs. That's why you'll often notice that it's simply a scan of the official DVD. To their credit, DVDTalk only allows discussion of replacement DVD covers, not labels. I could be wrong about that, but given the reasons you pointed out, I hope I'm not.
Old 09-24-06, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Oh boy, here we go with the whole "DVD backups" argument again. Wish I had the energy to fight this battle yet again, but I'll just shorthand it.

ME:

THEM:

ME:

Ahem, you are correct, Mario. The labels are used for bootlegs. That's why you'll often notice that it's simply a scan of the official DVD. To their credit, DVDTalk only allows discussion of replacement DVD covers, not labels. I could be wrong about that, but given the reasons you pointed out, I hope I'm not.

You are correct. Backup is just another word for copy or bootleg. It just seems that more and more "respectable" sites are adding DVD labels and I will never understand. Copy things that are not on DVD or are hard to get. Don't copy anything else, people!
Old 09-24-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are DVD video cameras. Some people just want their own custom labels such as a personal digital cam. image to place over the blank DVD surface. That's a legitimate use there.

EDIT: k, yeah.....missed your point on the labels for "official movies" -- haven't seen those.

Last edited by Xbox69; 09-24-06 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 05:50 PM

Deleted, because I missed the point of the thread.

Last edited by Greg613; 09-24-06 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marioxb
You are correct. Backup is just another word for copy or bootleg. It just seems that more and more "respectable" sites are adding DVD labels and I will never understand. Copy things that are not on DVD or are hard to get. Don't copy anything else, people!
I agree. I was just answering your question.
Old 10-04-06, 06:30 PM

well, im in the military, and i go to places where there is a lot of sand that gets into everything you own. i refuse to take my dvd collection with me, because it would come back ruined. i also refuse to travel without a fairly large compliment of movies............so whats a guy to do?

I copy them, and they last for a trip, sometimes less, before they hit the garbage. So send the industry after me i guess.........

however, i definitely dont put any labels on said copies.