Men in Trees - 09/22/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Men in Trees - 09/22/06

"For What It's Worth ..."
Spoiler:
Marin is the host at the town's charity bachelor-auction; Annie meets Patrick's overprotective mother; Ben and Theresa's relationship becomes more complicated.

Cast: Anne Heche, Abraham Benrubi, Emily Bergl, Seana Kofoed , Suleka Mathew, Derek Richardson, Sarah Strange, James Tupper , John Amos.
Director(s): Rick Wallace.
Producer(s): Jenny Bicks, Kathy Conrad , James Mangold.
Writer(s): Chris Dingess .

Original Airdate: September 22, 2006

Men in Trees
Old 09-23-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I hate to say it but I'm starting to like this show. There's no denying that this show is geared towards women but somehow and someway you can't help but like the characters and their quirks even Anne Heche (yeah, I said it).

It seems that they replaced the actress that originally played Patrick's mom with Cynthia Stevenson thus making her younger.

Funny scenes at the bachelor auction and Marin making her "date" be a handyman for the day.
Old 09-23-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
It seems that they replaced the actress that originally played Patrick's mom with Cynthia Stevenson thus making her younger.
Wha? Cynthia played Patrick's mom last week's 2nd episode as well. The mom didn't appear in the pilot episode (IIRC).

The saving grace of last night's episode was seeing Anne Heche in a tub of alphabet tomato soup.
Old 09-23-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Wha? Cynthia played Patrick's mom last week's 2nd episode as well. The mom didn't appear in the pilot episode (IIRC).
Okay, isn't Patrick's mom the one that gave her the ticket for throwing her wedding dress in the park and towed her car for illegal parking? Also, IIRC she also appeared at the bar scene when Marin's ex shows up and she was one of the people that admitted "sleeping" with Marin.
Not that is a big deal, but I could have sworn that it was a different actress since she appeared older or maybe it was a different character.
Old 09-23-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the same actress. I'd recognize Cynthia Stevenson anywhere since I watched "Dead Like Me" a few years ago.
Old 09-23-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As you can tell, I really pay attention while watching this show.
Old 09-23-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, Cynthia did "hot" herself up for the date, so she did appear more hip and younger by then.
Old 09-23-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like this show...and I don't know why. It doesn't bring much new to the table and is predictable as hell, but I have fun with it. I like the characters a lot...and being a fan of DLM, it is nice to see Cynthia Stevenson getting some more work - that's one advantage to shooting your show in Vancouver :P

MATT
Old 09-23-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I don't know why I like it either, but I do (like I did w/ Love Monkey).
Old 09-23-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm really enjoying this show... I was never very excited about it, but was always going to give it a chance because it was originally going to air after 'ugly betty'... but I still gave it a try - and so far after watching many of the new pilots its tied as my favorite new series with 'Jericho'
Old 09-23-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is only the second show that I am granting a stay of execution. Everything else aside from this and Studio 60 may be dropped if they make the wrong move. I think the smalltown feel is getting to me. Everyone who has lived in a city has probably wanted to go somewhere quiet sometimes.

I can't pick out any certain characters I like. I do like Kubiak and Patrick Bachelor and the fan who followed Marin. But I don't think alone they are enough. I think the cast works well.
The saving grace of last night's episode was seeing Anne Heche in a tub of alphabet tomato soup.
She may have started to annoy me less, but I could never go out on a limb that far. I had to close my eyes through those scenes. Even then what I had in my mind was enough to make me throw up a little.
Originally Posted by B.A.
I don't know why I like it either, but I do (like I did w/ Love Monkey).
Love Monkey.
Old 09-24-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
This show has gone into our "Must DVR" list. We watched the first two eps last night, and my wife fell in love with the show. I really like it too, especially the "Northern Exposure" vibe...
Old 09-24-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The ratings have held up on Friday, even with the premieres of Close to Home and Dateline. People appear to be sticking with the show so far.
Old 09-24-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ratings have held up on Friday, even with the premieres of Close to Home and Dateline. People appear to be sticking with the show so far.
I wouldn't call Close to Home and Dateline tough competition. Maybe when Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan come back it'll be in toruble.
Old 09-24-06, 06:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Fully expected to hate this but have added it to my season pass list. Easy to watch, easy to like.
Old 09-24-06, 11:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought it was pretty good.

I don't have the raging Anne Heche hate everyone here has so she doesn't bother me. I think the supprting characters are developing nicely
Old 09-25-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I thought it was pretty good.

I don't have the raging Anne Heche hate everyone here has so she doesn't bother me. I think the supprting characters are developing nicely
While I still dislike Anne Heche I have started to like Marin to the point that I can separate the character from the actress.
Old 09-25-06, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Anne Heche in this role. She must be a good actress because as I watch this show, I believe she is this character and not the crazy person she was (is?) in real life.
Old 09-25-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This fills a small part of the void that Everwood left.
Old 09-25-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This fills a small part of the void that Everwood left.
Agreed. Just wish there was less comedy and more drama. But ... It isn't Everwood. I just realized, there aren't any kids on this show???
Old 09-25-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everwood - WB = This? WB/CW is all about the younger demos, but I don't think any of the other networks are as such.