Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Movie '07

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IMDB
Not a whole lot to say, I'm sure all of you will have some colorful comments.
Old 09-21-06, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you are but what am I?
Old 09-21-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,225 Likes on 2,081 Posts
i'll check it out in the theater...... and masterbate while I watch it.

I'm sorry, but someone had to be the first.
Old 09-21-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

where did this come from...other than IMDB
Old 09-21-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
Pee Wee stated on Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien about a month or so ago he's actively working on a script.
Old 09-21-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts
Will this be live action? Not only is Reubens getting up there in years, but he's not exactly thin anymore. Yeah, I know he could lose the weight. A computer animated Pee-Wee, or even stop animation like "The Nightmare Before Christmas" would be cool. I have my doubts about this. Reubens has been talking about bringing Pee-Wee back to the big screen for several years now. What's the hold up? Last I read a script was completed. Wasn't it something about Pee-Wee not handling fame? Can't remember, but I read about it here.
Old 09-21-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have watched this movie at least 10 times on HDNET lately. I'm definitely down with another Pee-Wee but they gotta get Tim Burton back.
Old 09-21-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Pee Wee stated on Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien about a month or so ago he's actively working on a script.
Yep.
Old 09-22-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm actually wearing a Pee-wee's playhouse shirt. So I'm down with this news.
Old 09-22-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd wait for some definite info. Just because theres a script and imdb says it doesn't mean its true.
Old 09-22-06, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1515978_3_0_,00.html

From the second paragraph...

"As the series' 20th anniversary approaches, Cartoon Network is airing all 45 episodes on its late-night Adult Swim programming block, and Reubens is readying the first Pee-wee film in nearly two decades."
Old 09-22-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
If they take the old playhouse to the big screen and use some modern technology, I might be there. If they hire Tim Burton to direct on top of what I just mentioned, then I will be first in line.
Old 09-22-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm actually wearing a Pee-wee's playhouse shirt. So I'm down with this news.
Where can I get one? Seriously
Old 09-22-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is it a kids film or an adult film? Since the Playhouse was a Saturday morning show, it was aimed at kids (no idea why adults like it) Not many kids today have even heard of him. Maybe a kid's film filled with those inuendo jokes that most kids film have in them. He walks past a movie theater and says he can't go in because of his hand. Kids don't get that but adults see the masterbation joke.
Old 09-22-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder what console the movie tie-in game will be on...
Old 09-22-06, 01:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather see a true Pee Wee's Big Adventure sequel with Tim Burton (Big Top Pee Wee doesn't count).
Old 09-22-06, 01:57 PM
Banned

I'm against the idea of a direct sequel to "Pee-wee's Big Adventure". The "zero continuity" approach has already been established with Pee-wee and there aren't any loose ends in "Big Adventure" anyway. It would be completely unnecessary.

Anyways, I think it's far too premature to add this to IMDB and set release dates and such. Paul Reubens is writing a script, that's true, but so far nobody has come out of the woodworks to give him the money to produce it.

The sad truth is that Reubens has been writing more than one Pee-wee script since his "time off" and nothing has ever materialized. I definitely want it to happen but it's still a ways off.

Anyways, I see a few of you are mentioning the age issue. I think Reubens himself can pull it off, he's aged a bit but he's certainly not fat (as some are saying in this thread). Look at him in the Raconteurs video and tell me he isn't in "Pee-wee shape".

Still, around the time "The Polar Express" came out he expressed interest in doing a "Playhouse" movie in mo-cap CGI due to the additional aging of characters but the only one I think there's a problem with is Lynne-Marie Stewart, she is no longer the milf she once was. I personally have doubts as to whether Paul Reubens could get the kind of budget for this movie that well-done mo-cap CGI would require.

I can't think of anyone else whose aging would affect their performance, but you also have to take into account that some people (namely, Laurence Fishburne) might not be willing to participate. I've seem him discuss the series with fondness in recent interviews but that doesn't mean that he'd be willing to don the jheri curl and pastel cowboy outfit again.
Old 09-22-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I'm against the idea of a direct sequel to "Pee-wee's Big Adventure". The "zero continuity" approach has already been established with Pee-wee and there aren't any loose ends in "Big Adventure" anyway. It would be completely unnecessary.

Anyways, I think it's far too premature to add this to IMDB and set release dates and such. Paul Reubens is writing a script, that's true, but so far nobody has come out of the woodworks to give him the money to produce it.

The sad truth is that Reubens has been writing more than one Pee-wee script since his "time off" and nothing has ever materialized. I definitely want it to happen but it's still a ways off.

Anyways, I see a few of you are mentioning the age issue. I think Reubens himself can pull it off, he's aged a bit but he's certainly not fat (as some are saying in this thread). Look at him in the Raconteurs video and tell me he isn't in "Pee-wee shape".

Still, around the time "The Polar Express" came out he expressed interest in doing a "Playhouse" movie in mo-cap CGI due to the additional aging of characters but the only one I think there's a problem with is Lynne-Marie Stewart, she is no longer the milf she once was. I personally have doubts as to whether Paul Reubens could get the kind of budget for this movie that well-done mo-cap CGI would require.

I can't think of anyone else whose aging would affect their performance, but you also have to take into account that some people (namely, Laurence Fishburne) might not be willing to participate. I've seem him discuss the series with fondness in recent interviews but that doesn't mean that he'd be willing to don the jheri curl and pastel cowboy outfit again.

I saw Reubens on "Campus Ladies" (just this year) and he was not thin. Again, not a problem. People can definitely lose weight. I have not see the Raconteurs video so maybe his weight goes up and down. But the last few times I've seen him in movies or TV, he was a little chunky. Regarding Laurence Fishburne, he should do it. What could it hurt? But the film just won't be the same without Phil Hartman
Old 09-22-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In regards to Laurence Fishburne, he stated in Entertainment Weekly that if he liked the script, he would definitely do the film.
Old 09-23-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I wonder what console the movie tie-in game will be on...
The Wii obviously.

How else is the masturbation mini game supposed to work?
Old 09-23-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

he has been touting a script so long...

didn't he even mention letting Ben Stiller play the part back when the Playhouse dvd's were coming out...
Old 09-23-06, 04:59 AM
Banned

I doubt it. I would be absolutely shocked if Reubens would let someone else play the part of Pee-wee except for in joking cases like James Brolin as PW in "Big Adventure".

Ben Stiller playing Pee-wee makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I don't know where people come up with these stupid rumors.
Old 09-23-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it. I would be absolutely shocked if Reubens would let someone else play the part of Pee-wee except for in joking cases like James Brolin as PW in "Big Adventure".

Ben Stiller playing Pee-wee makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I don't know where people come up with these stupid rumors.

I will personally burn down every theater playing this movie if Stiller is cast as Pee-Wee.

Yeah, I know, it's a stupid rumor that will never see the light of day
Old 09-23-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 194 Posts
I heard The Rock is going to be cast as Cowboy Curtis.
Old 09-23-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed, but I believe this came from one of the late nite interviews from the dvd releases. couldn't tell if it was touge in cheek, or a serious move....i can't find the interview online though

here are some links to PR saying he is getting his script together from two years back...

Paul Reubens talks about upcoming Pee-Wee's Playhouse SE DVD sets

here is the 07.11.06 interview on letterman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1pk4-YfLA

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.