TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark *Series Premiere* -- "Pilot" -- 09/21/06

Old 09-21-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Shark *Series Premiere* -- "Pilot" -- 09/21/06

"Pilot"
Spoiler:
Shaken after a not-guilty verdict frees his client to go out and commit the same crime again, Sebastian Stark takes a job with the district attorney's office.

Cast: James Woods, Jeri Ryan, Sam Page, Sophina Brown, Alexis Cruz, Sarah Carter, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Gomez, Kristen Wilson, Romy Rosemont, Lindsay Frost, Lynn Whitfield, Mimi Michaels, Melissa Leo, Todd Christian Hunter , Jim Jansen, Bryant Johnson , Pat Lentz, Tony Daly, Sally Pressman .
Director(s): Spike Lee.
Writer(s): Ian Biederman.

Original Airdate: September 21, 2006.
Old 09-21-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this one.
Old 09-21-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm not a big fan of "lawyer" type shows but after watching the pilot episode, this show has got me hooked. I already set a season pass (or for however long it last) for this show. James Woods is at his "sleazy" best in this one.
Old 09-21-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't heard good things about this. But it has Woods, so I'll watch it a few times
Old 09-21-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
James Woods is at his "sleazy" best in this one.
That's just James playing James.
Old 09-21-06, 02:12 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spike Lee I had no idea, when did he start doing tv ? I'm in, also Jeri Ryan is easy on the eyes.
Old 09-21-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My earlier reaction to the pilot:

Shark's entertaining at times, a bit too mopey at times (father-daughter subplot), but Woods in the court room (or prep time) is a fun bit of viewing. Oh, Danielle Panabaker (plays Shark's daughter) is pretty cute too.
Old 09-21-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This looks good but it's on a little to late for me, I guess I have to VCR it. I can't tell you that last time I said that!
Old 09-21-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope that it's an improvement on Conviction. My suspicion is that it will be, filling my hunger for a non-procedural criminal law show.
Old 09-21-06, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Oh, Danielle Panabaker (plays Shark's daughter) is pretty cute too.
I remember her from season 4 of ANGEL.
Old 09-21-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
The line about the Knicks loosing must have been hard for Spike Lee.
Old 09-21-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
The line about the Knicks loosing must have been hard for Spike Lee.

My immediate reaction was that he probably added that line!
Old 09-21-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I remember her more from "Sky High".
Old 09-21-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was disappointed, but I'll keep sampling it for probably a month at minimum.
Old 09-22-06, 12:54 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
That's her sister

Sarah Carter

It was funny watching her play such a tight ass after the last time we saw her she was with Turtle and Drama when they "crossed swords" on Entourage.

Woods was fun to watch, but I thought everything else was fairly dull and uninteresting.

Last edited by MrX; 09-22-06 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lateralus
This looks good but it's on a little to late for me, I guess I have to VCR it. I can't tell you that last time I said that!
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say VCR it. Before Tivo became a verb everyone said record. Now they're starting to say "DVR it". Go copy machine this memo for me please.

Anyway, the show left me unimpressed. Seemed like any run of the mill lawyer show. I don't plan on DVRing it again. Besides if they leave it in that timeslot it won't be around long.
Old 09-22-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was ok.. The main problem I have with it is that it's just yet another legal based drama.. Plus unlike Justice, this one seems more like an old school lawer show so that's even more been there, done that..

Still, pretty good cast so I think I'll keep an eye on it for at least a few more eps..
Old 09-22-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved this show. I am a Woods fan (his style of acting and overall persona), and this show is truly a perfect vehicle for him.

I was also a fan of L&O TBJ, and though that was much more procedural then Shark, this is still filling a certain law/courtroom void in my TV schedule. I like the family aspect for a change (though the lack of this aspect is one of the many reasons I enjoy L@O every week), and like it significantly more then Conviction.

Minor trivia tidbit: I kept getting flashbacks to the last time I had Jury Duty a few years ago, as the courthouse/courtroom that they filmed the opening interiors/exteriors and courtroom scenes was the same one I spent many boring hours in; Norwalk Courthouse/LA County Courthouse, in Norwalk, CA.
Old 09-22-06, 03:00 AM
Banned

I'd have no problems dropping ER for this -- I wouldn't even record ER while watching this.

1. James Woods rocks.

2. Sarah Carter is uber hot.

3. Outside of Carter I had no idea who the other actors on the team were, so is the girl who got fired coming back or was she the obligatory pilot episode redshirt?
Old 09-22-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Roto
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say VCR it. Before Tivo became a verb everyone said record. Now they're starting to say "DVR it". Go copy machine this memo for me please.
Actually, most people I know used to say "tape it" when recording something on a VCR.

As for SHARK, I have one word about the pilot: CLICHED!

Most lawywer shows these days are rather realistic, but SHARK harkens back to the days of MATLOCK and even PERRY MASON where you could get people to break down on the stand, no objection is ever upheld, and all rules of law are ignored for the purposes of storyline.

I liked James Woods (he's a hell of an actor, what's not to like), but he was really given some POOR material to work with. I hope the shows get better...
Old 09-22-06, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Most lawywer shows these days are rather realistic, but SHARK harkens back to the days of MATLOCK and even PERRY MASON where you could get people to break down on the stand, no objection is ever upheld, and all rules of law are ignored for the purposes of storyline.
Hopefully, you're not watching this one cop show where the detective might be an idiot savant, pulls together shreds of random evidence that wouldn't hold up in court and accurately deducts the crime, then berates the suspect until he/she confesses while the defense attorney just sits there quietly and lets it all happen.
Old 09-22-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, most people I know used to say "tape it" when recording something on a VCR.
Good point.

Now I gotta figure out where I can find the pilot for Six Degrees because I chose to hard drive Shark instead.
Old 09-23-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would have liked this show a lot more if it had premiered 2 yrs ago, and was called "House". Still, I can't get enough of Jimmy Woods, so I'll be watching.

Last edited by mike7162; 09-23-06 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't like it. And they are wasting how unbelievably hot Sarah Carter is. But given the slight opportunity that they actually let her show her hotness at sometime, I will tune in for a couple more episodes. And really, Jeri Ryan is not hot. She is the perfect definition of a butterface.
Old 09-24-06, 09:06 AM

Jeri Ryan gets a whole lot hotter if she was in a form fitting bodysuit....oh...yah...don't change the butter face thing...

This show was ok...it felt like I have seen it before, again and again...the writing was, as someone put it, cliched and felt old and recycled.

I like Woods, but the writing needs to go up a notch...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.