DVD Talk
Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby --> Dec. 12th! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby --> Dec. 12th!

Mao
09-18-06, 10:18 PM
Sure to be a loaded disc; only the date is confirmed at this time.

Specs to follow upon official announcement on Oct. 2nd....

matome
09-19-06, 08:40 AM
I'll pick this up. Definitely not his best movie, but there were some laughs to be had.

mdc3000
09-19-06, 09:15 AM
In time for the birthday celebration of 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus! Sweet!

MATT

Matthew Chmiel
09-19-06, 06:56 PM
If this isn't a two-disc set loaded with hours of deleted footage than screw Sony.

dpz301
09-19-06, 06:58 PM
can't wait for outtakes, haha. should be great. will probably end up being a christmas gift.

SuckaMC
09-20-06, 01:08 AM
I would love, love, love it if they had enough material for an extra movie, like Anchorman did.

Bluelitespecial
09-20-06, 09:48 AM
Will probably be another pointless unrated dvd, I haven't seen it and i don't plan on it.

dsa_shea
09-20-06, 10:52 AM
Will probably be another pointless unrated dvd, I haven't seen it and i don't plan on it.

Did you wipe your butt after you threadcrapped? I'm looking forward to seeing this movie as I was unable to see it in theaters.

JayDerek
09-20-06, 10:54 AM

If you weren't planning on getting this, why the @#$% did you spend time posting in this thread???! Jesus.

If there's a movie I don't intend to see, I don't waste my time posting in it's thread.

dx23
10-02-06, 11:13 AM
From dvdactive.com:

Title: Talladega Nights (IMDb)
Starring: Will Farrell
Released: 12th December 2006
SRP: $28.95 & $38.96

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, which will be released on standard DVD and Blu-ray on the 12th of December at retail prices of $28.95 and $38.96 respectively. The film will be presented on standard DVD in four different configurations giving consumers the choice between either theatrical or unrated versions and anamorphic widescreen (2.40:1 aspect ratio) or pan & scan presentations. As for the audio, each standard DVD will carry Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks in English and French with optional English and French subtitles. The Blu-ray edition of the film will carry the unrated cut and present the film with an anamorphic widescreen transfer at its 2.40:1 theatrical aspect ratio and include Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks in English and French and an uncompressed PCM 5.1 audio track in English, along with English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Thai subtitles. Extras for the standard DVD editions will include a retrospective '25 Years Later' commentary track, deleted and extended scenes along with bonus race footage, featurettes, character interviews, a gag reel, a 'Line-O-Rama' feature with alternate dialogue from the film, and DVD-ROM content. The unrated discs will also contain additional deleted scenes, character interviews, and commercials. We expect that extras for the Blu-ray version will be identical to the unrated, standard DVD. We'll let you know if anything gets added or changed, but for now stay tuned for the artwork which should be along shortly.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/talladega-nights.html

avrilfan
10-02-06, 02:21 PM
I'll be picking it up, as I like Nascar. being getting it unrated on blu-ray.

MasterCXtreme
10-02-06, 02:25 PM
"...a retrospective '25 Years Later' commentary track"
:lol: Sounds great

dx23
10-02-06, 09:32 PM
Cover art here:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/talladega-nights.html

Graystone
10-03-06, 02:52 AM
Awesome can't wait to grab this one.

EdTheRipper
10-03-06, 05:10 AM
Looking forward to this.

steebo777
10-03-06, 07:43 AM
brilliant quote even though I didn't find it too funny.

matome
10-03-06, 07:56 AM
Picking this up on Blu-Ray for sure now.

Bill Needle
10-10-06, 10:19 PM
Picking this up on Blu-Ray for sure now.
Interesting that the Blue-Ray release is listing for pre-order for only $14.49 at DDD. That is several $ less than the standard DVD.

JOE29
10-11-06, 07:37 PM
I'm getting it.

Peep
10-12-06, 12:53 PM
I believe that the Blu-Ray release is one of the first few 50G (dual layer) releases. "Click" should be the first.

matome
10-12-06, 01:40 PM
Yes, Click was the first BD-50. Unforgiven and The Searchers will be the next ones out in a couple of weeks, with Black Hawk Down and Kingdom Of Heaven DC the week after. There are more in November as well (Superman Returns & The Descent, I think).

wolverine1028
10-13-06, 12:15 AM
This movie has some funny scenes.

RedBull7&83
10-15-06, 11:02 AM
I didn't think this movie was worth seeing at the movies, even though I do like Nascar. For the right price, i'll pick it up at the store though.

MrVette99
10-16-06, 12:35 PM
I saw this at the $ theater and swear I was ripped off. Will Ferrell digs deep into the stupid cess pool and achieves new record depths.

Nuff
10-16-06, 02:04 PM
I thought it was the funniest movie i've seen in ages. Will definitely pick it up when it comes out. No clue why some of you didn't find it funny!

TNAJason
12-12-06, 05:14 PM
According to the back of the cases the commentaries are different.

Unrated & Uncut
Director and Friends Commentary

Theatrical
25 Years Later-Commentary with Director Adam Mckay,Will Ferrell,John C. Reilly,and more

This reminds me of the Anchorman Theatrical and Unrated having different commentaries. Is this the same thing. I bought both but open only the Theatrical to check the commentary and if it has what it says,I will open Unrated to have all the features and different comentary.

i86time
12-12-06, 06:07 PM
I did the same for both films as well. Ever since Kingpin, I've decided to get both rated and unrated discs if they are offered, since jokes or scenes can be added or replaced that really aren't as funny as in the theatrical version, though there are still those that make it worthwhile. I'm just glad they give them different special features, makes me feel somewhat better about spending double for essentially the same film.

chris_sc77
12-12-06, 06:15 PM
I just bought the Unrated version WS DVD...I have not seen the film yet but I noticed that the "25 years Later" Commentary is not on the Unrated edition....Instead we get a "Director & Friends" Commentary...That is kinda dissapointing but I guess thats the way it goes..

shtfilter
12-12-06, 06:59 PM
If I remember properly the Anchorman commentaries become the same after about 17 minutes.

Hopefully, someone will pick up both and let us know.

DarthPrime
12-12-06, 07:16 PM
Just wondering if the Unrated is worth it over the Theatrical. Probably will pick this up later in the week, and still unsure which version to get.

TNAJason
12-12-06, 08:26 PM
Well the 25 Years Later & Director & Friends are different commentaries by different people. I'm watching the movie(Unrated) and just watched the 1st few minutes of the commentaries to check if they were different. Talladega is hilarious. Ricky Bobby is just as good or better than Ron Burgundy. Both are great tho.

d2cheer
12-13-06, 09:18 AM
I just rented the unrated one last night to see the differences... the pacing sucks with the added footage and I found that the theatrical version is much better. They changed some of the jokes etc. I found that the extra footage didn't add anything to make the film better, for me this is a rare case where the theatrical version is much better. The theatrical one I will be purchasing. At least we get to pick from both... why the don't just use branching and put both on the same disc is beyond me...

JayDerek
12-13-06, 09:58 AM
I skipped through and watched some of the Unrated film and bonus features.

WHY did they cut out Ricky as a boy driving his mom's car from the beginning of the film???! A very odd cut...

tofferman
12-13-06, 11:34 AM
Perhaps irrelevent, but I thought it was interesting to see that the cardboard slipcover on the Unrated version at BB had a Directv advertisement that was printed on the front right corner versus a removable sticker.

Dr. Phibes
12-13-06, 11:38 AM
I'd go with the theatrical version. In addition to dropping scenes for no reason, they also changed jokes that were funny to stuff that wasn't funny. For example, Jean Girard talking about making a currency for cats and dogs to use got changed to something stupid about monkeys and Hamlet. Sure the animal currency thing is stupid too, but it was funny. What is the exchange policy on this type of thing?

JayDerek
12-13-06, 12:42 PM
I need to watch more of the movie, but I may indeed go get the theatrical version and return (or give away) my Unrated cut. I can see adding jokes for this version but taking away scenes and changing lines of others just seems gratuitous...

grrrrrrrrrrrr

DarthPrime
12-13-06, 01:20 PM
Thanks I didn't know they dropped scenes. I just thought they added scenes into the movie.

Guess its the theatrical version for me then, and I will rent the unrated.

Peep
12-13-06, 01:28 PM
I have an unopened copy of the theatrical cut that I got as a gift from work and am still trying to figure out if I want to swap it for the unrated. How do the rest of the extra features stack up. I think the commentary that includes Will (on the theatrical) seems like it would be better than the one that doesn't.

Matthew Chmiel
12-13-06, 01:51 PM
I watched the unrated cut last night. Yet another Apatow production completely gone to hell with the added footage.

First Anchorman with two awful scenes thrown into the mix (the daydreaming and the cat shit eating sequences), then The 40-Year-Old Virgin with twenty minutes of filler, and now Talladega Nights.

I like the man and all, but he needs to loosen it up a bit.

scarredgod
12-13-06, 03:36 PM
interesting, i havent seen the movie yet but this was going to be a blind buy. i was going to go unrated but so far the opinions seem to be that the theatrical is better. i guess ill wait a few more days to decide.

dsa_shea
12-13-06, 05:04 PM
Why must decisions like these be made in the first place? Can't you just give us both versions of the movie in one damn set?

lotsofdvds
12-13-06, 05:39 PM
I went ahead and bought both versions, since I ended up doing it with Anchorman anyway. There were changed in that unrated version that I didn't care for, but also a few additions that I love.

tofferman
12-13-06, 06:17 PM
I have been unable to find the theatrical version (in widescreen) available at Target or Best Buy. Is any B&M carrying the theatrical version in widescreen?

i86time
12-13-06, 06:30 PM
I have been unable to find the theatrical version (in widescreen) available at Target or Best Buy. Is any B&M carrying the theatrical version in widescreen?

Yeah, Circuit City, where all version are $13.99 this week. My local store only had about 5 theatrical widescreens as of yesterday.

mdc3000
12-13-06, 09:46 PM
Damn, I was fearing this... I really didn't like the Anchorman or Virgin addons...they seemed to just throw shit in for the sake of throwing shit in... and now this one did that and CUT STUFF!?!?! That is just nuts. I haven't opened it yet, so I will probably return the unrated for the theatrical...I don't think many stores around here have the TC though...I'll have to look around.

jackepstein
12-14-06, 07:02 AM
Awww crap, I ended up getting the WS: UR from amazon.com (I haven't watched the UR cut yet). I saw it in the theaters and thought it was a fun movie (nowhere near as great as 40-year old virgin & anchorman). For those two movies, I was very happy with the UR cuts; but it sounds as if I'll be unhappy with the UR cut of Ricky Bobby.

So has there been anyone happy with the UR cut? Or is it unwatchable, requiring me to return it back to amazon for the theatrical cut?

dadaluholla
12-14-06, 07:27 AM
Just watched it last night. Having never seen the theatrical version, I was fine with the UR dvd. While it was a fun movie, I doubt I will be watching it enough that a few cuts here and there are going to change anything for me.

orion1998_1
12-14-06, 01:57 PM
i never saw the movie, but plan on grabbing one today. is the scene of him driving that was cut from the trailer? is the theatrical the better choice for not have scene it yet?

im_ryandick
12-14-06, 05:08 PM
seriously one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

Al Padrino
12-15-06, 01:10 AM
How insightful.

Matthew Chmiel
12-15-06, 03:59 AM
i never saw the movie, but plan on grabbing one today. is the scene of him driving that was cut from the trailer? is the theatrical the better choice for not have scene it yet?
The theatrical cut has a much tighter and leaner pacing whereas there are some moments that flander around in the unrated cut due to the addition of the new footage, most of which just simply aren't that funny.

starman9000
12-15-06, 01:54 PM
Just got this, haven't seen the theatrical or UR yet. I wonder how Roeper and Leno feel about having their 2 thumbs up on this Unrated and uncut version, since it isn't actually the movie they reviewed.

DarthPrime
12-16-06, 12:08 AM
The theatrical version was pretty hard to find in my area. Tons of unrated, and a handful of the full screen theatrical. Managed to find one widescreen at Walmart tonight.

tofferman
12-16-06, 11:13 AM
Walmart was the only retailer where I could find a rated version in widescreen as well.

SPiRAL
12-16-06, 02:44 PM
/\ /\ /\ Saw plenty at Circuit City.

TheDew7777
12-17-06, 08:35 PM
Unrated Version
* Audio Commetary with Director and Friends
* 13 More Minutes Not Seen in Theaters (and a few minutes inexplicably cut/changed from the original)
* Interviews with Jean Girard and Gregory
* Walker & Texas Ranger: Montage and Outtakes
* More Deleted Scenes: What’d You Do Today? and Cal Calls Ricky
* Ricky and Cal’s Commercials
* Ricky and Cal’s Public Service Announcement

Theatrical Version
* “25 Years Later” Commentary with Director Adam McKay, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly and more

The above is from information on Amazon. I don't yet own either DVD. From all I've read - it sounds like the unrated version of the movie itself is not as desirable as the theatrical, but the unrated version of the DVD appears to have more bonus features.

Guess I'll be buying both. Ballz :(

DarthPrime
12-18-06, 06:37 AM
Went to a Sam's Club last night to pickup a few things and noticed that they had more of the Theatrical Versions than Unrated. Most were Fullscreen though.

jdslater1
12-18-06, 08:52 AM
Watched the unrated version this weekend, and a few of the jokes seemed to go on, I can imagine the theatrical cut being tighter. but the kids who played his sons were brilliant!

"Greatest generation my ass!"

Kechulater
12-18-06, 06:11 PM
Saw the unrated version and "Kenny Rogers" and especially "Larry Bird" being interviewed by Ed Lauter was laugh out loud funny. I thought it was better than Anchorman but not as funny as The Wedding Crashers.