Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can Somebody Please Explain This in Star Trek: Generations

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I finally watched this movie again and hadn't seen this movie since it was in theaters.

My question is this: When Zorin launches the missile that sends him and Picard into the Nexus -- wouldn't that have destroyed the saucer section of Enterprise?

As far as I can tell, the Enterprise was orbiting the same planet where the launcher was located when they were attacked by the Klingon ship? Right? (I say this because Data was scanning for lifeforms?)..but I'm not sure. So wouldn't that send everybody in the ship into the Nexus as well?
Old 09-15-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
As I explained to Brannon, "By all accounts, they're still in the nexus."
Old 09-15-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Because the Nexus was a ribbon, it didn't hit ALL parts of the planet, just the part where Picard and Caligula-boy were standing. So it could have missed the orbiting Enterprise.

The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode). Oh, I know, because the writers didn't do their damn homework (and because Mr. Scott's part was originally supposed to go to Mr. Spock instead, but Nimoy didn't want to do a cameo).
Old 09-15-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode). Oh, I know, because the writers didn't do their damn homework (and because Mr. Scott's part was originally supposed to go to Mr. Spock instead, but Nimoy didn't want to do a cameo).
Cut him some slack, he just spent 80 years in suspended animation.
Old 09-15-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a mess of a movie.
Old 09-15-06, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The bigger question is if Mr. Scott saw Kirk "die" at the beginning of the film, why the hell does he think the Captain is still alive when they find him at the beginning of "Relics" (The Next Generation episode).
Dementia?
Old 09-15-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
As I explained to Brannon, "By all accounts, they're still in the nexus."
Basically, everything that occurs after Generations isn't real...
Old 09-15-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't the saucer crash land and was then destroyed with the planet and then survived after they got out of the nexus?

saucer separated because the klingons cause the engines to overload with their attack but i guess they had enough shielding to survive the atmosphere and the explosion of the engines
Old 09-15-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
didn't the saucer crash land and was then destroyed with the planet and then survived after they got out of the nexus?

saucer separated because the klingons cause the engines to overload with their attack but i guess they had enough shielding to survive the atmosphere and the explosion of the engines
Yup. Basically Picard, Sorin, and Kirk are still in the Nexus and the NG crew is dead. All events post-Generations are fantasies Picard is having within the Nexus.
Old 09-15-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Palaver
Basically, everything that occurs after Generations isn't real...
Originally Posted by Roc Shemp
Yup. Basically Picard, Sorin, and Kirk are still in the Nexus and the NG crew is dead. All events post-Generations are fantasies Picard is having within the Nexus.
Or maybe all of TNG, Voyager, DS9, and everything else that happened after the first 10 minutes of Generations is the fantasy, all dreamed up by Kirk!

Kinda makes you think, don't it?

Spoiler:
Not really.
Old 09-16-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Enterprise saucer wasn't in orbit, it was on the surface after crash landing. You do see it destroyed just after the ribbon grabs Picard and the droogie (did you miss that somehow?)