Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mostow will write and direct Sub-Mariner

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

"Terminator 3" director revives Marvel veteran By Borys Kit
Thu Sep 14, 4:47 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Terminator 3" director Jonathan Mostow will write and direct "Sub-Mariner," an adaptation of one of Marvel Comics' oldest superheroes.

In the comic, the Sub-Mariner's real name is Prince Namor, a half-man/half-amphibian from the underwater kingdom of Atlantis. An anti-hero, he frequently finds himself helping the human race as much as he fights it when humans pollute the waters.

The Sub-Mariner first appeared in "Marvel Comics" #1 in 1939, when Marvel Comics was known as Timely Comics. He made his first modern appearance in the pages of "Fantastic Four" in the early 1960s.

Universal Pictures' take will see a young man discovering he actually is a prince from Atlantis, with him turning out to be the key man in a brewing war between the underwater world and the modern surface world. Chris Columbus was on board to direct and produce the film in 2004.

Marvel Studios and producer Kevin Misher had long been interested in Mostow, but he was never available. When Mostow's schedule opened up, he called to check whether the character was up for grabs. When he was, Mostow developed a take that found the core of the character, something that had eluded the producers.

"We want to show our first hero, and still most unique hero, in a world that the audience has never seen before," said Kevin Feige, who will oversee the project for Marvel. "But that spectacle will be tempered with character. Our hero is caught between two worlds. That is the heart of the story, and it is that dichotomy that makes him so interesting."

"Sub-Mariner" will mark Mostow's first film since 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines." His credits include "U-571" and "Breakdown," both of which were for Universal.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 09-14-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Is anyone attached to it yet? I had heard Cage might be interested.
Old 09-14-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Vincent Chase would be perfect.
Old 09-14-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
Aquaman and Namor have about as much in common as a goldfish and a koi.
Old 09-14-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They both live in the water. It doesn't get much more common that. This will ruin any shot of an Aquaman movie now.
Old 09-14-06, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't why does Hollywood or Marvel think that every character they have has to be featured on a live action film. There are some characters who are/can only be interesting in comics and animated versions. Namor is definetely one of them.
Old 09-14-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
Is he Asian? Can't picture someone who isn't non-oriental to play the part because...Well, that's how Namor's always looked to me.

BTW, I thought Chris Columbus was attached to direct when this first made news about a year ago. Guess that's done with.