Standoff - 09/12/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Standoff - 09/12/06

"Circling" Episode #102.
Spoiler:
An air traffic controller others blame for a plane crash hijacks the control tower; Matt and Emily realize how personal issues can impact life at work.

Cast: Ron Livingston, Rosemarie DeWitt, Michael Cudlitz, Gina Torres, Raquel Alessi.
Producer(s): Craig Silverstein, Tim Story.

Original Airdate: September 12, 2006.

Standoff
Old 09-12-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh.
Old 09-12-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This show is surviving on Ron Livingston charm, Rosemarie DeWitt's hotness, and the leftover good vibes Gina Torres has from Firefly.

If a show is going to be so formulaic, it really needs to deliver in the character department. Still, two episodes in, its still kinda fun, so I'll keep watching, provided some better doesn't pop up next week when the networks roll out the big boy shows.
Old 09-12-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still like it for the most part. And I think this ep was better than the last.

Does it annoy anyone else when Mrs. Fishburne's character puts the extra emphasis on her last name as if to remind us all that it is a Latina name? I got the point loud and clear in the fucking pilot. It just seems out of place.
Old 09-13-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I am enjoying it. I like that it's a less serious version of what would be going on. It has some comedy w/ one liners and stuff. Not the best new show, but certainly not the worst.
Old 09-13-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll give them credit for soming up with with an interesting plotline for this episode. Definitely not your standard hostage situation and it was different from last week, so I'm still in for next week.

I didn't like the ending to this one. Convince him to land one plane and he immediately decides to land all of them? I would've thought the fact the planes were low on fuel would've gotten him to land the planes anyway. They guy wasn't very threatening, but otherwise a decent episode.
Old 09-13-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Moonlighting aspect of the show seems too early, too forced.

Most of the episodes' success is going to hinge on the dramatic acting abilities of main guest star(s) of the week in the hostage situations.
Old 09-13-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm done with this one.
Old 09-13-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it annoy anyone else when Mrs. Fishburne's character puts the extra emphasis on her last name as if to remind us all that it is a Latina name? I got the point loud and clear in the fucking pilot. It just seems out of place.
I was laughing at how annoying she sounding. I liked this episode much better than the first. I'll give it another go.
Old 09-13-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Strike two...

Even though last night's plot was compelling, for me the idea of a weekly hostage standoff is just plain silly.

OK, Raquel, we get it, you're Hispanic!
Old 09-13-06, 05:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
This show is surviving on Ron Livingston charm, Rosemarie DeWitt's hotness.
Those are the only reasons I'm still tuning in.
Old 09-13-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rosemarie's pretty when you look at her straight on, but her nose makes her side profile look a bit awkward.
Old 09-14-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, but she has curves in all the right places. as for the show, i don't see how it's gonna last with the "hostage situation of the week" formula. still, i think it's entertaining so far.
Old 09-16-06, 12:38 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Enjoying it so far, hope thw shoe evolves past hostage of the week
Old 09-25-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally watched this episode. I thought the mid-air collision scene was kind of cool and I liked the air traffic controller storyline. I agree that it was different than most standard hostage stories. It really made you think how vulnerable you are up there when you fly.

I thought it was dumb how that one guy escaped and they made him go back in there. Couldn't they have just routed his planes to that other center like they were initially doing? I can't beleive they would make a hostage go back.

Reminds me of the Jimmy Smits SNL skit: "An-ton-io Men-doz-a would like an en-chi-lada!"

I also think Rosemarie DeWitt is kind of a butterface. She doesn't seem pretty enough for Livingston. I really like him, but I wish he was in a show that he could do more comedy. This doesn't seem like the best role for him.
Old 09-25-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really like him, but I wish he was in a show that he could do more comedy. This doesn't seem like the best role for him.
He would have been perfect in Studio 60, particularly the Matthew Perry role.
Old 09-25-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
He would have been perfect in Studio 60, particularly the Matthew Perry role.
I like Perry, but that is an excellent suggestion. Studio 60 for him would be great.

I haven't watched this show yet, but was considering just to see Livingston. From the responses in the thread, I guess I will be skipping.
Old 09-28-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Rosemarie's pretty when you look at her straight on, but her nose makes her side profile look a bit awkward.
Seriously. Whenever she turned her head I'm like, ugh... "You're as beautiful as any of them, you just need a nose job..."