Reload this Page >

Men in Trees - Series Premiere - 9/12/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-12-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Debut: Anne Heche stars as relationship coach and dating-guide author Marin Frist, who starts afresh in Alaska. In the opener, she learns her fiancé has been cheating on her while she travels to Elmo, Alaska, for a lecture. It flops because her pitch is aimed at women, and Elmo's 90 percent male. But Marin needs to chill and, she concludes, learn about men. She's in the right place. Ben: Abraham Benrubi. Jack: James Tupper. Buzz: John Amos. Patrick: Derek Richardson.
This premieres tonight before it moves into its regular Friday night time slot.

I read a very good review here.

Anyone else planning to watch?

Last edited by Jadzia; 09-12-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-12-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't really enjoy watching Anne Heche but I'll give the pilot episode a try.
Old 09-12-06, 12:21 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's a bit more likeable in this one ... perhaps because she's made to realize that she's not as smart as she thinks she is ...?
Old 09-12-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a busy night for me, and I'll have to rely on my 3 ReplayTVs to catch the shows on CBS, FOX and ABC tonight. There's also a rerun of the pilot on Friday night for this show.
Old 09-12-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
It's a busy night for me, and I'll have to rely on my 3 ReplayTVs to catch the shows on CBS, FOX and ABC tonight. There's also a rerun of the pilot on Friday night for this show.
I was just going to point out the same thing. On Friday, they will re-air the pilot and then show the second ep. I've heard pretty good things about the show, but I'll probably wait until Friday to watch the two episodes.
Old 09-12-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I read a very good review here.

Anyone else planning to watch?
I hadn't planned to, but I may after reading the Freep this AM.
Old 09-13-06, 01:39 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
meh

I'll give it a few more chances becasue there's not a lot much on at the same time but it's nothing we haven't seen many times before.
Old 09-13-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It definately channels 'everwood' and 'nothern exposure' to name a few, but i found it cute and since friday nights are wide open for me, it will make a really good tivo for weekend viewing...
Old 09-13-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
meh

I'll give it a few more chances becasue there's not a lot much on at the same time but it's nothing we haven't seen many times before.
I think you hit it right on the nail with your description of this show. There's nothing new or different to distinguish from past and present shows. I also find some of the lines and situations of the characters silly.
However, having expressed my dislike for Anne Heche earlier, I have to admit that she's actually likeable in this show.

I think I'll keep watching this show until "Las Vegas" premieres.
Old 09-13-06, 08:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I caught this on a whim last night and was mildly impressed. I'll watch again on Friday...
Old 09-13-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it. It is just "Sex & The City" meets "Northern Exposure" but I enjoyed the characters, it had some snappy dialogue was was fairly entertaining. I don't watch much Friday night TV, so I should be able to find a way to squeeze this in. I'll be sticking around for a while.

MATT
Old 09-13-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Good production values, good characters, solid acting, decent writing. Not something I'd watch regularly, but not a bad show by any means.
Old 09-13-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn't bad. I welcome any non-crime shows to my viewing lineup so I will keep watching. It is a nice light drama and that is a rarity these days.

I found some of the details of pilot to happen too quickly: her breakup, how she ends up living in the town, but I guess they were just trying to get her situation established quickly in the pilot episode. Hopefully now that the premise is set, the pacing will be better in future episodes.
Old 09-14-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't really enjoy watching Anne Heche but I'll give the pilot episode a try.
I'm not a fan of her at all, didn't realize she was in it when I decided to watch the premiere. Can't say I enjoied her, but the show had a Northern Exposure feel to it that was rather pleasing. Coming from a rather populated place and seeing places like this makes you want to leave. I'll give it another shot or two. It is hard to stick with a show where you don't like the lead actor and character, but I really want to like this.
Old 09-14-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was okay, and Friday night it probably the best night for it because it'd be slaughter on other nights this season. Some of it did feel a bit like other Alaskan show, Northern Exposure. I'm not sure it'll survive the season, though. I was rooting for the raccoon.
Old 09-15-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was a total chick show, but in a good way. If it doesn't get too cute, or Anne Heche's doesn't fall down every five minutes, I might stick with it. John Amos was the clincher for me.
Old 09-15-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
I thought it was a total chick show, but in a good way. If it doesn't get too cute, or Anne Heche's doesn't fall down every five minutes, I might stick with it. John Amos was the clincher for me.

About the same here, and add Abraham Benrubi to John Amos for the clinchers.
Old 09-15-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw the 2nd episode, and there's something grating on my nerves when I watch this show, can't quite put my finger on it yet. I just know I'm not quite 'into' the show, there's still this layer of 'stuff' that impacts my viewing of the show.
Old 09-15-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I'm watching the Pilot now and it's cool to see John Amos on TV again(For me at least because I haven't watched any of his recent shows). Other than that it seems like Sex in the City lite. You know... less sex, less NY pretty boys for the women to fuck, and a few less silly women dealing with their bullshit expectations in relationships.

EDIT: I just heard the promo and they said it was written by the same writer(s) for Sex in the City so I guess I called it and didn't even know it!!

Anyway, there's also a touch of Green Acres. For that "Big City folk culture shock" in the country feel which gets lame after a few times.

I don't know how long this show will last...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-15-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Second episode was much better than the first. So far all the characters are likeable and the writing is solid. It isn't necessarily my type of show, but I think I continue watching it for now.

I gotta say Anne Heche really looks great and doesn't generate that instant hate that Sarah Jessica Parker generates. Let's face it, Grey's Anatomy is a chic show that tries to make it interesting for men to watch. Hopefully this will do the same.

The key is to make it a ensemble show like Grey's Anatomy. If they rely on the lead to support the show, it is gonna get old fast.

Last edited by Ayre; 09-16-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having just finished watching the second episode of this show, I have come to the conclusion that I like the racoon much better than Anne Heche on this show.

Seriously though, I think the reason why I'm still watching this show is because of the supporting cast especially Amos and Benrubi in their roles.
Old 09-17-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I looked at the guide for Friday and saw the pilot reairing without even looking to see a second episode. Any chance this reairs?
Old 09-17-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show is okay, but God, I hate Anne Heche. She makes it virtually unwatchable for me, but since the wife likes it, I guess I might catch it in the background.
Old 09-17-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Just watched the first two eps last night, and I thought it was OK, though far from great. But with so few things on Fridays, I'll probably give it a few more weeks. But you know, I have a feeling that this one maybe won't be lasting very long. Just a hunch.
Old 09-17-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to keep watching. I'm not entirely sure I see it lasting, but I like enough to stick with it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.