Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Movie Gallery Sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie Gallery Sale

Sorry if this has already been posted I searched but did not see, Today I was visiting my In-Laws and found a Movie Gallery I have never been in one, but figured I would check it out, they were having a great sale on used DVDs, they had two sales first one was buy 2 get 2 free I picked up Matador, and Inside Man booth were 14.99 and got 16 blocks and a kevin james film my wife asked about for free, they also had a red dot sale, all films with a red dot were only 5 dollars ( buy two get two did not apply or they said on the sign ) I picked up Hustle and Flow, Saw 2, waiting and Capote when I got to the check the manager rang the 5 dollar movies up as buy two get two free so got all 8 movies for 40 bucks. I am going to head back and pck up some other stuff looks as if sale was until October.

check there website for locations www.moviegallery.com they had a ton of great 5 dollar titles also had a 3 for 15.99 section, but better off trying the buy two get two free on the 5.00 dollar titles.
Old 09-12-06, 06:56 AM
Cool New Member

This sale has been going on at the moviegallery near me for almost a year. They usually pull new titles every Monday (although sometimes don't make it to the B2G2 shelves until Tuesday).

I usually bop in there every two or three weeks to see if there are 4 titles that I want.
Old 09-12-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This winter when Superman, XMen, Jackass, Ricky Bobby, Da Vinci Code, etc will be pulled, is going to be amazing!
Old 09-12-06, 09:59 AM

My MG has had the same sale going on for the past couple of weeks. I couldn't find four movies I wanted, but the red dot sale did have some good stuff included, so I picked up Before Sunset and Broken Flowers for $5 each.
Old 09-12-06, 01:04 PM

Sorry was my fiorst time in a Movie Gallery and I know had my wife not wanted the kevin james film there was not another Movie I did want for the b2g2 but I am sure would have grabbed something to even out.
Old 09-12-06, 01:55 PM
bub

DVD rentals are really beat up...

I never rent movies but stopped into Movie Gallery to see what I could find. Found about a dozen movies I would buy at the price offered, but when I opened each DVD case up to check out the surface of the DVD, I was very disappointed.

Only 1 of the 12 I selected looked like it would even play without problems.

The others were in very bad shape, as bad as I've ever seen any DVD's. When considering that the cases are also beat up, I decided I would pass on them all. Just too questionable in my opinion.

Good luck all,
George -bub
Old 09-12-06, 02:14 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie Gallery has a lifetime guarantee on used DVDs. Save your receipt and if they won't play, they'll let you exchange it for something else. Out of over 50 purchases, I've only made 2 or 3 trades.
Old 09-12-06, 04:14 PM
bub

When I was in, they told me their guarantee was 1 year or something like that. But, my thing was the DVD's were in such poor shape, marred surface, rough case with stickers all over them (some of the stickers were removed so there was areas that were sticky on the case), that I just didn't want to have them in my collection, the price just wasn't good enough (again, just my opinion).

I was able to find a dozen movies I wanted though, fairly good selection and friendly staff. Oh well...

George -bub
Old 09-12-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and Cigarette Burns/Dreams in the Witch House 2-Pack both for $5 a piece when I was there a few days ago. Even though the Masters of Horror 2-Pack doesn't have the special features that the singles have, I still though that was a pretty good deal.
Old 09-12-06, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there last week and got V For Vendetta, Tristan And Isolde, Nightwatch and Final Destination 3 as part of the Buy 2 Get 2 sale. I also got Corpse Bride and Elizabethtown for $5 each.
Old 09-12-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also return DVDs that you buy from MG if you just don't like it after you watch it. Every MG that I have ever been to has had that same exact policy. Even if it works fine, if you watch it and don't like it, you can return it for something else.
Old 09-12-06, 07:48 PM

I am called around to another Movie Gallery closer to me, and the manager said they have about twice as many films as the one I went to early in the week.
Old 09-12-06, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
You can also return DVDs that you buy from MG if you just don't like it after you watch it. Every MG that I have ever been to has had that same exact policy. Even if it works fine, if you watch it and don't like it, you can return it for something else.
I knew they did that when you rented them but I didn't know it about sales. They won't give you another rental if your dvd is defective though. A friend of mine returned a movie that got stuck half way through (they fast forwarded a bit & finished it). When they returned it the clerk said "Yeah, but did you like it?" He said "no it didn't work" "But did you like it? If you didn't like it we can give you another movie?" so he finally said he didn't like it just to get the rental even though he did like it.

I buy from Movie Gallery sometimes & only had to return stuff twice. Once the woman was a real jerk & actually checked the movie in her machine to make sure it didn't work. Why would I go out of my way to exchange it if it worked? I always buy from MG as opposed to Hollywood Video though. I used to buy from them before we got MGs here & had a lot more problems with sales & rentals working.
Old 09-12-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've bought probably 75 used DVD's from the MG sales and have only returned one and that's because they put the wrong disc in. I love that place. I don't even buy new releases anymore (at least the big ones), I just wait till they hit the MG sale.
Old 09-15-06, 10:13 AM

Picked up Star Wars Ep III for $5, great deal!

dvdsrule
Old 09-28-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bub
I never rent movies but stopped into Movie Gallery to see what I could find. Found about a dozen movies I would buy at the price offered, but when I opened each DVD case up to check out the surface of the DVD, I was very disappointed.

Only 1 of the 12 I selected looked like it would even play without problems.

The others were in very bad shape, as bad as I've ever seen any DVD's. When considering that the cases are also beat up, I decided I would pass on them all. Just too questionable in my opinion.

Good luck all,
George -bub

TRue, but MG offers Lifetime Guarantee.