Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : I've officially gone back to school

mikehunt
09-11-06, 09:48 PM
and work is paying for it.
It's a 3 semester CCNA course at the local community college
can't beat free stuff that will either get me a raise or a different job/position

Giantrobo
09-11-06, 11:05 PM
Congrats and good luck. :up: Free is gooooood. :D

Tommy Ceez
09-11-06, 11:20 PM
I just started last week for a second Bachelors at City College (engineering)

Free education courtesy of the job rocks!

I was out of school for 8 years...how about you Mike?

Tracer Bullet
09-11-06, 11:30 PM
I wish I was getting free education. :(

Buford T Pusser
09-12-06, 12:56 AM
good luck scoring with the community college babes in Buffalo. :thumbsup:

mikehunt
09-12-06, 06:42 AM
I was sitting next to the window. kept getting distracted by hotties
My last semester for my BS was fall of 01 (diploma didn't get issues until may of 02)
so about 5 years
It's only mondays though so it's not a lot of time, but after a full day or work it kind of sucks
cool thing is the section of the class I picked only meets every other week and all the course work is online

Tommy Ceez
09-12-06, 08:13 AM
Thats nice

I go 4 days a week until 10pm, and still work my 8-4

al_bundy
09-12-06, 08:26 AM
if it's free, go for it

there is no way i will pay money for microsoft or cisco certs since there are books out there that are a lot cheaper

Tracer Bullet
09-12-06, 09:28 AM
Thats nice

I go 4 days a week until 10pm, and still work my 8-4

Yikes. There's no way I could do that. Last semester I was doing 2 nights a week and that was no fun. Now I'm doing Monday night and Friday afternoon (done by 6PM)- much better.

JimRochester
09-12-06, 09:36 AM
I had an associates after high scholl but never completed my 4 year degree. Finally at age 40 I had a job that would contribute toward the education so I took the online courses through SUNY (State University of New York) to get my Bachelors. That was about 7 years ago. So far it hasn't made a difference but now if I have to look for work I no longer have to lie on my resume.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
09-12-06, 11:38 AM
is CCNA even worth anything nowadays?

mikehunt
09-12-06, 06:30 PM
it is to my company. they sell cisco stuff. more ccnas working there means higher discounts
plus it teaches you all sorts of in depth setup of networks and equipment

matta
09-12-06, 06:49 PM
Yikes. There's no way I could do that. Last semester I was doing 2 nights a week and that was no fun. Now I'm doing Monday night and Friday afternoon (done by 6PM)- much better.

I got a master's degree (free too) at night. I worked from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, then went to class from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Did that 4 days a week for 3 years. Fun times.

Now I'm getting a Ph.D. for free. Life's good.

Tracer Bullet
09-12-06, 07:18 PM
I got a master's degree (free too) at night. I worked from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, then went to class from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Did that 4 days a week for 3 years. Fun times.

Now I'm getting a Ph.D. for free. Life's good.

What is your Ph.D. in, and how are you getting it paid for?

kneijst1
09-12-06, 08:44 PM
is CCNA even worth anything nowadays?

yup, as long as you have job experience and a degree. More certs always help out. I'm (finally) getting my company to pay for an MCSE class for me this year which is 6pm to 10pm M, W and F. I work 8-5 with occasional nights and weekends here and there, so it should be fun!!!

(well, okay, not fun. But it's free and I'm excited about learning more in depth info about Microsoft server, as well as to get my certs)

matta
09-12-06, 09:04 PM
What is your Ph.D. in, and how are you getting it paid for?

In most fields, Ph.D.'s are free. Typically, you get free tuition and fees, a stipend (anywhere from $16,000 to $45,000/yr depending on the school for 9 months), and most programs offer a travel stipend to visit conferences. Plus, you can usually intern over the summer and make some good money.

On top of all of that, I own a company (I pay someone else to manage the operations, but I manage the money).

Tracer Bullet
09-12-06, 09:48 PM
In most fields, Ph.D.'s are free. Typically, you get free tuition and fees, a stipend (anywhere from $16,000 to $45,000/yr depending on the school for 9 months), and most programs offer a travel stipend to visit conferences. Plus, you can usually intern over the summer and make some good money.

On top of all of that, I own a company (I pay someone else to manage the operations, but I manage the money).

Interesting. Never having had interest in getting a Ph.D., I didn't know this. A friend of mine is on a Ph.D. track in psychology, but for some reason I never connected it.

DVD Polizei
09-12-06, 10:13 PM
and work is paying for it.
It's a 3 semester CCNA course at the local community college
can't beat free stuff that will either get me a raise or a different job/position

Smart move Mike and good luck. :up:

NotThatGuy
09-12-06, 10:24 PM
Interesting. Never having had interest in getting a Ph.D., I didn't know this. A friend of mine is on a Ph.D. track in psychology, but for some reason I never connected it.

Depends on the field of psych. I know for clinical psych (hardest doctorate program to get into in the nation, based on national acceptance rates)....you are damn lucky to get it paid for. The big research schools pay for it, but that is much more research based and not clinical stuff....blah.

Yeah, i'm not bitter that my grad education will cost me $200k when all is said and done. :lol:

-p

matta
09-12-06, 10:37 PM
(hardest doctorate program to get into in the nation, based on national acceptance rates)

I'd like to see the research on that. There are several fields in business that have less than 1% acceptance and one that has a less than 0.25% acceptance.

Deadpool
09-13-06, 02:23 PM
How can anyone say the words Back To School without thinking of Rodney :D

http://snakemasterproductions.com/beta_movie_pics/back_to_school.jpg

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
09-13-06, 07:49 PM
congrats, and good luck!