Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ellen DeGeneres to Host 79th Academy Awards

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ellen DeGeneres to Host 79th Academy Awards

Wow, this is a very early announcement, and out of the blue, but great news I think.

Beverly Hills, CA — Ellen DeGeneres has been set to host the 79th Academy Awards telecast, producer Laura Ziskin announced today. It will be DeGeneres’ first time as Oscar® host, as well as her first appearance on an Academy Awards telecast.

“Ellen DeGeneres was born to host the Academy Awards,” said Ziskin. “There is no more challenging hosting job in show business. It requires someone who can keep the show alive and fresh and moving, as well as someone who is a flat-out great entertainer. Ellen completely fits the bill. I can already tell she is going to set the bar very high for herself and therefore for all of us involved in putting on the show. Now all we need is a lot of great movies.”

DeGeneres is the host of the syndicated talk show “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” which this year won its third Emmy for Outstanding Talk Show and earned DeGeneres her second Emmy for Outstanding Talk Show Host.

Launched in September 2003, the show won four Daytime Emmys in its freshman year, including Outstanding Talk Show, after garnering a record twelve nominations. In its second season, the show won five Daytime Emmys, and this year earned a total of six Emmy Awards.

“When Laura Ziskin called, I was thrilled,” said DeGeneres. “There’s two things I’ve always wanted to do in my life. One is to host the Oscars. The second is to get a call from Laura Ziskin. You can imagine that day’s diary entry.”

DeGeneres has twice hosted the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast and co-hosted the show in 1994. For her first solo Emmy stint, which took place shortly after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, she received high praise.

“She just sparkles,” said Academy President Sid Ganis. “She is such a pleasure to watch. Her wit cuts to the truth of things, but in a wonderfully warm-spirited way. I think she'll be a fantastic host for this show and we're extremely pleased that she's agreed to do it.”

Prior to the launch of her talk show, DeGeneres scored with simultaneous achievements on stage, film and in the literary world. She enjoyed popular and critical response to her voice performance of ‘Dory,’ the fish with extreme short-term memory, in the Disney/Pixar animated feature film, “Finding Nemo.” DeGeneres earlier crossed the country on a 35-city stand-up comedy tour, entitled “Here and Now,” which was taped for HBO and subsequently nominated for two Emmys. And in October, 2003, her second book, “The Funny Thing Is...” was published. Comprised of comedic short stories and essays, the book hit the New York Times’ bestseller list upon its release. In 2005, she was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album for the audio version of the book.

DeGeneres began her acting career in television on Fox's sitcom, “Open House.” She moved on to ABC's “Laurie Hill,” prior to being offered “These Friends of Mine” by ABC. After the first season, the show was renamed “Ellen.” Running from 1994 to 1998, the show brought DeGeneres Emmy nominations each season in the “Best Actress” category.

In 1997 DeGeneres was the recipient of the Peabody Award as well as earning an Emmy for writing the critically acclaimed “Puppy Episode” in which her character came out as a gay woman. DeGeneres followed with the CBS sitcom, “The Ellen Show,” which ran from 2001 to 2002.

DeGeneres' feature film credits also include “EDTV” for director Ron Howard, “The Love Letter,” “Goodbye Lover,” “Coneheads” and “Mr. Wrong,” in which she starred with Bill Pullman.

In 1995, her first book “My Point...And I Do Have One” debuted at number one on the New York Times’ bestseller list, and in 1997 she released her comedy CD, “Taste This.”

The ceremonies honoring film achievements for 2006 will be held on Sunday, February 25, 2007. The 79th Annual Academy Awards Presentation will be broadcast live from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland by the ABC Television Network, beginning at 5:00 p.m. (PST) with a half-hour arrivals segment.
Old 09-07-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn, I was hoping for Conan.
Old 09-07-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Ugh. I have no confidence in her what so ever. I'm disappointed, but figure she can't be worse then Whoopi.
Old 09-07-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good choice. She's funny, popular, charming, and safe.
Old 09-08-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Good choice. She's funny, popular, charming, and safe.
Agreed. I watched one of her HBO specials a few years ago and it was hilarious.
Old 09-08-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Finally.... her stellar movie career has paid off.
Old 09-08-06, 10:05 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I always thought she'd be a good candidate, so this is good news. I just hope the network airing the ceremony doesn't make her water it down too much.
Old 09-08-06, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Water what down? DeGeneres is very funny, but it's not like her material has ever been edgy.
Old 09-08-06, 10:25 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Water what down? DeGeneres is very funny, but it's not like her material has ever been edgy.
I've never found her to be edgy at all; however, the definition of "edgy" can be very subjective, especially for major networks. It seems like everything is offensive these days.
Old 09-08-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After 20 years, I have tired of her shtick. I'm not looking forward to 3+ hours of it.
Old 09-08-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from me.
Old 09-08-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
She's not my favorite by a long-shot, but she seems perfect for the Academy Awards.
Old 09-08-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Bad choice. I would have went with Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise.
Old 09-08-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Not edgy? She talks on the telephone to God. To God!!
Old 09-08-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No more Colbert-voiced attack ads.
Old 09-08-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There's no way in hell she'll wear an evening gown, so whattaya figure? A regulation tuxedo?

(I'll bet Portia DeRossi is thanking her lucky stars for a chance to glam-out and try to pass for an A-Lister...)

Last edited by adamblast; 09-08-06 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by adamblast
There's no way in hell she'll wear an evening gown, so whattaya figure? A regulation tuxedo?
Perhaps a "Maude" type pantsuit?
Old 09-08-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
There's no way in hell she'll wear an evening gown, so whattaya figure?
Old 09-08-06, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Nooooooooooooooooo!!
Old 09-08-06, 05:05 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Rosie must be too busy with "The View."
Old 09-08-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Ugh. I have no confidence in her what so ever. I'm disappointed, but figure she can't be worse then Whoopi.
No confidence in her!? She has killed on every award show she has hosted. Sure, I can't watch her every day. But hosting is her niche. And for the record, NOBODY is worse than Whoopi. Besides Conan and maybe Steve Martin, I'm glad it's Ellen. Billy Crystal, now there's someone I'm tired of. Really glad he's not coming back.
Old 09-08-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The only problem with her is that she is gay. And that is only a problem because I was in love with her for years.

She is amazingly funny. I thought her last series "Ellen" was fantastic, but it was probably put on too soon after her previous one. When she has hosted stuff before, she was awesome. If I can't have Billy Crystal back, she is the next best thing.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE GAY???? I LOVED THE MESS OUT OF YOU, WOMAN!!!!!

Love that gal.
Old 09-08-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

DeGeneres' feature film credits also include “EDTV” for director Ron Howard, “The Love Letter,” “Goodbye Lover,” “Coneheads” and “Mr. Wrong,” in which she starred with Bill Pullman.

Anyone remember her 5 seconds of screen time as the diving coach in Coneheads? I can't believe they bothered to mention that as one of her credits. Obviously someone read IMDB rather than actually doing any research.
Old 09-08-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
The only problem with her is that she is gay. And that is only a problem because I was in love with her for years.

She is amazingly funny. I thought her last series "Ellen" was fantastic, but it was probably put on too soon after her previous one. When she has hosted stuff before, she was awesome. If I can't have Billy Crystal back, she is the next best thing.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE GAY???? I LOVED THE MESS OUT OF YOU, WOMAN!!!!!

Love that gal.
All these years of reading your posts, and only now have I figured it out: you're a closet lesbian!.
Old 09-09-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by marty888
All these years of reading your posts, and only now have I figured it out: you're a closet lesbian!.

I am, and I'm okay with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.