DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Scene Missing from new Ace Ventura DVD

GunsGermsSteel
09-04-06, 04:03 PM
So my local Best Buy broke Street Date on this set and while I'm happy to finally have Ace Ventura in widescreen, there's a scene missing. The scene in question is when Ace is pretending to be the dolphin trainer. For those that are planning to pick it up, I would really appreciate it if you would post about whether or not your copy has this scene so I can know if I just got a bum copy or whether we all got ripped off by Warner Bros.

GreenVulture
09-04-06, 04:06 PM
This may answer your question, from IMDb:

"Original Theatrical Release during the scene when Ace inspects Snowflakes tank, he only sneaks out and finds the missing stone from Finkle's ring. In the home video version, he jumps out and prentends to be Hans, the Dolphin Trainer. The HBO version shows the Theatrical Version."

Still though, that is a shame. The dolphin trainer bit was a great little scene.

Dalvin
09-04-06, 04:20 PM
That is a shame.

No Hans=No Sale

waylonsmithers
09-04-06, 04:22 PM
I don't see why they couldn't have used branching to both include theatrical and home video versions.

Dean Kousoulas
09-04-06, 04:36 PM
Easy guys. It only took them 8-9 years to give us the movie in widescreen. I figure this extra scene warrants, at least 4-5 years before another re-release. ;)

TheMovieman
09-04-06, 04:40 PM
Yeah, once they add that back in, they can call it the "Unrated Version" and add on the package: "The Version They Didn't Want You to See"

CertifiedTHX
09-04-06, 04:40 PM
Well, that destroys the deal for me. Was pondering this release, but that scene gave me one of the biggest laughs of the entire movie. When Ace does the German trainer bit--

To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head. I am saying to Snowflake, "Akay!... Akay Akay Akay?" und he is saying "Akay Akay!" (from IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109040/quotes))

--I lost it. Hilarious bit.

Doesn't sound like they really tried with this. The extra TV footage that could have been included, theatrical/extended cuts....

Oh well. Saves me some money.

--THX

JOE29
09-04-06, 06:19 PM
That destroy's the deal for me also, that's a great scene, i'm glad I held on to the original release, although it's full frame. I'ts alot worse not having that scene on the dvd. No sale for me either, and I was real close to getiing it also, thanks guy's you saved me .

DVD Josh
09-04-06, 06:29 PM
That destroy's the deal for me also, that's a great scene, i'm glad I held on to the original release, although it's full frame. I'ts alot worse not having that scene on the dvd. No sale for me either, and I was real close to getiing it also, thanks guy's you saved me .

Might be my favorite scene in the whole film. I fart on this release.

Egon's Ghost
09-04-06, 06:56 PM
Dammitalltohell. Spank you, Warner!

milo bloom
09-04-06, 07:10 PM
Hmm, don't think I've ever seen that scene in question. As long as it's the theatrical in 16x9, I'll still pick it up sooner or later.

Wick
09-04-06, 07:17 PM
What bullshit.

SterlingBen
09-04-06, 07:43 PM
Guess you'll just have to break down and pick up the VHS

Doughboy
09-04-06, 07:48 PM
Hey, technically WB is giving us the original theatrical version in widescreen. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Of course, it wouldn't have been that difficult to offer the Hans scene(along with additional deleted footage) as an extra.

GIjon213
09-04-06, 07:53 PM
This just sucks. I mean, what reason would they not include that. Wait, I already know. It is so the Uber edition can still be sold to all those who are willing to shell out money for it...

Cameron
09-04-06, 07:57 PM
mabe they couldn't find a copy of the scene in question....only a full frame master of the scene....should have put it in as a deleted scene though...

visitor Q
09-04-06, 08:12 PM
This is one time when I wouldn't find it a far stretch for a studio to set up a fan site that would ask it's fans which version to include or not include in a future DVD release. Yeah it's the original version .. but, um .. so?

Thanks to the OP for the post .. I'll be avoiding this release :(

Mr. Cinema
09-04-06, 08:31 PM
I'm still getting this set, but I'll also hold onto the VHS release, which has this scene intact.

jmj713
09-04-06, 08:50 PM
Under 13 bucks for a 3-disc set? Getting it without deleted scenes!

Julie Walker
09-04-06, 08:53 PM
I never saw it in theaters,so I always thought the finale sequence in the film was the added moment. Since it appears like it's about to fade to the credits,and then goes into the final football sequence of the film.

So it's kind of a shame the 'hans' bit is missing,since I always found it funny myself. But I can probably live with out it for the time being and still have the VHS somewhere.

Maklershed
09-04-06, 09:14 PM
That's crazy .. that's pretty much my favorite scene of the movie

firteen88
09-04-06, 09:25 PM
Can someone please remind me what scene this is? I don't remember it.

Gizmo
09-04-06, 09:46 PM

See post #7

dvd_luver
09-04-06, 10:12 PM
Easy guys. It only took them 8-9 years to give us the movie in widescreen.

Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already. I am so buying this, I don't care about that missing scene. I have waited nearly a decade to own Ace Ventura in Widescreen and I would love to get rid of that nasty FS snapper, and now.

Consider it sold!

The Cow
09-04-06, 10:43 PM
Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already.
I recommend you never ever ever post in a Star Wars thread. :)

fleegs
09-04-06, 10:55 PM

Second part of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appdrFIDV9k

grim_tales
09-05-06, 03:02 AM
I don't remember that scene either.
I'll probably pick it (the DVD) up though :)

Jay G.
09-05-06, 09:36 AM
I recommend you never ever ever post in a Star Wars thread. :)
Ironically, people in this thread are acting the opposite of the majority of Star Wars fans, preferring an altered version of the film and slamming the studio for releasing the original theatrical version of the film in anamorphic widescreen.

DVD Josh
09-05-06, 09:48 AM
Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already. I am so buying this, I don't care about that missing scene. I have waited nearly a decade to own Ace Ventura in Widescreen and I would love to get rid of that nasty FS snapper, and now.

Consider it sold!

Same unsound logic as "oh well, the OT may not be in anamorphic, but it's the OT, on DVD, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's just silly. Studios should be releasing proper, COMPLETE releases. I understand that this scene is not in the theatrical version, but it's become so ingrained in fans of the movie that to leave it out is an abomination.

jmj713
09-05-06, 10:07 AM
There seem to be lots of deleted scenes but they were all shown on network TV. As I've only seen the film on cable, I've seen only the theatrical version. If a SE comes out later, I'll get that too, for the deleted scenes.

whotony
09-05-06, 11:14 AM
all i ever saw was theatrical version, never bought or saw the full screen copy or hbo.

so this works for me.

just watched the entire version of that scene from the youtube link.
it's funny but it's too long and stops the scene. good cut to me.

MovieBuff482
09-05-06, 12:01 PM
This is the version that was intended to be seen by the director. Stop complaining.

paulringodaman
09-05-06, 12:13 PM
i dont remember that last scene either!

Mike Adams
09-05-06, 02:09 PM
That really sucks. It's worth it to have the film in widescreen and with commentary, but that was a fantastic scene that according to Tom Shadyac was improvised by Jim. Come to think of it, has anyone checked to see if the commentary on this disc is the same as the previous release?

I'm all for getting rid of snappers, but the artwork on this package is so generic I wanna puke. I'll be keeping both snappers, and since I have an "Asian import" of the sequel that's a single-sided disc with artwork, I'll probably keep that as well.

So much could have been done with this release -- lots of deleted scenes from the TV version, behind-the-scenes stuff, etc. I'm really disappointed in this release, and I doubt that the bonus disc with episodes from the animated series even brings it up to being worth the $12.99 I paid for it. I just had to feed my addiction, though. ;)

GunsGermsSteel
09-05-06, 02:43 PM
I guess I forgot that the dolphin trainer scene wasn't in the original film (although for some reason I do remember a scene where Ace has a fight with all the security guards when he first arrives at the stadium).

Anyway, it's a good scene and I wish they had included it as a deleted scene. To bother with a new widescreen transfer and then not include deleted scenes seems kind of half-ass to me.

The Cow
09-05-06, 02:59 PM
Same unsound logic as "oh well, the OT may not be in anamorphic, but it's the OT, on DVD, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's just silly. Studios should be releasing proper, COMPLETE releases. I understand that this scene is not in the theatrical version, but it's become so ingrained in fans of the movie that to leave it out is an abomination.
Amazing. -ohbfrank-

Kechulater
09-05-06, 03:35 PM
Was the widescreen LaserDisc release the theatrical or home video version?

coli
09-05-06, 03:36 PM
The dolphin scene is the best, and I remember when I got it on VHS in '95 being so suprised cause HBO never showed it. When he says he is Hans Skits Velvet, that is classic Jim Carrey.

Who is this George Lucas putting out this version of Ace Ventura? What is the dolphin like Han shooting first now?

Randy Miller III
09-05-06, 03:40 PM
Hans shot first.

mzupeman2
09-05-06, 04:22 PM
This thread is proof of the hypocrisy and just how people won't be happy. Star Wars as already mentioned, is being blasted for not having the original theatrical cut out, and Ace Ventura is being blasted for releasing the theatrical. Absolutely amazing.

Not everybody is going to agree here, as with any debate. If it was still included some people would moan over wanting the original theatrical edition of the film and the conversation would look something like this:

"What's the big deal, so what if it's not the theatrical version. That scene is funny and has been a part of the home video release since first released on VHS."

"That's exactly the problem. We've been robbed of having the original theatrical cut on home video ever, there's never been a proper home video release of the theatrical cut. Won't studios learn from Star Wars mistake? It seems almost suicide not to include the theatrical cut."

Now me, I agree, it was a pretty funny scene. I liked it and I'll miss it. But it's Ace Ventura in a digitally remastered widescreen release... fine by me. The fact that I own the original version of the film, as it was MEANT to be seen, doesn't bother me. For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.

tofferman
09-05-06, 04:29 PM
What mzupeman said. I was thrilled with finally getting rid of that foolscreen snapper, and for only $12.99, my HDTV will welcome it as well. :)

GoldenJCJ
09-05-06, 04:58 PM
This thread is proof of the hypocrisy and just how people won't be happy. Star Wars as already mentioned, is being blasted for not having the original theatrical cut out, and Ace Ventura is being blasted for releasing the theatrical. Absolutely amazing.

Not everybody is going to agree here, as with any debate. If it was still included some people would moan over wanting the original theatrical edition of the film and the conversation would look something like this:

"What's the big deal, so what if it's not the theatrical version. That scene is funny and has been a part of the home video release since first released on VHS."

"That's exactly the problem. We've been robbed of having the original theatrical cut on home video ever, there's never been a proper home video release of the theatrical cut. Won't studios learn from Star Wars mistake? It seems almost suicide not to include the theatrical cut."

Now me, I agree, it was a pretty funny scene. I liked it and I'll miss it. But it's Ace Ventura in a digitally remastered widescreen release... fine by me. The fact that I own the original version of the film, as it was MEANT to be seen, doesn't bother me. For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.
:up:

I would never have suspected this thread would have gone on so long. I expected to click on the thread and see the first response post somthing along the lines of "that was just a deleted scene added back into the film (possibly to pad the runtime?), the Theatrical verison didn't contain that and I wouldn't expect this version to contain it either."

Now the fact that it isn't in a deleted scenes section, well that's another story, but I've never not bought a DVD because it didn't contain all the deleted scenes.

BuddyRevell
09-05-06, 05:12 PM
Oh well. I'll just put my snapper release dvd inside the new release and BAM! Instant deleted scene.

maggi
09-05-06, 05:12 PM
So how is this new transfer????????

Maklershed
09-05-06, 05:39 PM
For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.

Does the cartoon series come packed in this ...

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redirect.cfm?referral=dvdtalkedt&goto=buyPage&identifier=WBD080434

Or is that some kind of Best Buy exclusive?

If it's in that set, I'll prob just get it from DDD and save some gas money.

stardork13
09-05-06, 06:33 PM
So how is this new transfer????????
Haven't watched it all the way through, but it looks good to me. :up:
Definitely an improvement over the original FS release. Looks a lot cleaner. Here's a picture comparison:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/mateo1991/ace-2-fs-copy.png http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/mateo1991/ace-2-ws2-copy.png
[not the same exact frame from each disc, but close enough for you to get an idea of what it looks like..]

Oh, and the new animated menus are a nice touch.

And Maklershed, I don't think that the Animated Series Bonus Disc was a Best Buy Exclusive. It didn't say anything about it in the ad or at the store.

Rypro 525
09-05-06, 06:42 PM
i saw the bonus disc at wal mart today.

dvd_luver
09-05-06, 08:53 PM
I'd pay to see Ace Ventura: Pet Detective in Widescreen at the theater again, so I paid only $13 and change for this baby, and it was well worth it. Nice dvd set for the $$$!

It was so great to watch Ace 1 in Widescreen, yippe! Jim rocks as this cartoon like character, amazing physical comedy.

darmok
09-05-06, 10:07 PM
sh*t, i love that german dolphin trainer scene -- probably among the top three funniest moments of the movie. now i gotta hold onto the P/S version just for the scene.

wish they included the TV-only scenes as bonus. oh well, maybe the next version they'll get right. no love for acey at WB.

Mike Adams
09-05-06, 10:31 PM
Personally, I think the animated menus suck. Also, am I the only one who thinks the original transfer of "...When Nature Calls" looks better? At least in the opening scene, everything looks too blue. I've heard of "yellow-layer failure", could that have happened, at least slightly, to the print used for the new digital transfer? There just doesn't seem to be as much range of color in the opening scene. Instead of a blue sky and brownish mountains, the mountains look bluish as well. You can hardly even tell that Ace is wearing a yellow shirt -- kind of looks like someone thought it was supposed to be white and used it as a white reference when color-balancing the film. Do my eyes deceive me?

milo bloom
09-05-06, 10:32 PM
Someone at another forum is saying these movies now have DTS tracks, can someone confirm this?

Mike Adams
09-05-06, 10:36 PM
Yes, DTS is an option on at least one of the films, probably both. I don't have them handy, nor do I have my receiver hooked up at the moment to confirm that it is indeed DTS, but major studios wouldn't tell us it's DTS if it weren't.

Matthew Chmiel
09-06-06, 03:18 AM
DTS is in fact an option on both of the films. :thumbsup:

How can you go wrong for $13? You get the two films in their original theatrical cuts with pristine picture and sound quality. The extras could be better, but I'm happy with the $13 I spent.

JP5683
09-06-06, 03:49 AM
Count me in as another that's never seen the 'dolphin trainer' bit. I remember the first part of that scene well though...

[QUOTE=Julie Walker]I never saw it in theaters,so I always thought the finale sequence in the film was the added moment. Since it appears like it's about to fade to the credits,and then goes into the final football sequence of the film.

What's this about a fade-out and then another scene at the end? I don't remember that either...

thelwig14
09-06-06, 10:08 AM
A small scene cut from the movie will not hamper my enjoyment of finally receiving an anamorphic transfer of Ace. And I get both movies for $13? I am content.

Mike Adams
09-06-06, 03:37 PM
If it weren't for the fact that there are so many deleted scenes in the network TV version, I'd hang on to my fullscreen DVD. I didn't see a lot of places where cropping the picture would have made a lot of difference, especially since it was filmed at 1.85:1 as opposed to 2.35:1 or something like that. This is a film that for reasons of both composition and content, doesn't really suffer that much when cropped to fullscreen. That could be due in part to the director realizing that a TV broadcast of the film was inevitable, and also probably due to most home video releases being fullscreen at that time.

It's certainly nice to have it in widescreen, but if the "Heinz" scene (and it was Heinz, not Hans) was the only thing missing from the theatrical version, I'd definitely keep my original DVD. As it stands now, I'm sure I'll have to have a copy of the network version as well, so I obviously can't have everything on one DVD. Of course as luck would have it, the network version probably doesn't have the Heinz scene, but I suppose it could be edited in from the original DVD if I wanted to make my own copy of it. Heck, I'd be satisfied with a second disc containing all the deleted scenes, but obviously that's not gonna happen. :(

Something else interesting about the new version is the long pause in the commentary where Tom's comments about the deleted scene ran longer than the actual scene and had to be cut as well. I'm sure that pissed off the actors who played the reporters, since Tom praised them in his commentary. As an extra in "Evan Almighty", I'm hoping he'll give us a similar nod in that commentary, but I'll have to wait a year and a half for that. ;)

Ravenous
09-06-06, 04:31 PM
I saw this movie in the theaters and I swear on my life it had the scene because I went home remembering it and doing it to make others around me laugh (Im good at impression shit like that)

Well Im glad Im no sheep thats happy at whatever a studio throws at me. Im happy with my FS with the scene intact than some bullshit release. Or course if I find it for $5, Ill buy it :D.

Cinemaddiction
09-07-06, 12:42 AM
How is this a "bullshit release"? Because it doesn't contain a scene that was never in the theatrical version of the movie to begin with, regardless of what you're trying to recall from 12 years ago? Give me a fucking break. I'm no sheep, either. I willingly purchased this set because it has the intended (see: theatrical) cut of the movie, in addition to extras, a DTS track, an HD remaster, a Widescreen transfer, and it's 3 disc set with a price point lower than the original release when it first debuted.

Silly me. Wasting $12 on a superior product. Baaa...baaaa...

Giles
09-07-06, 12:13 PM
so let me get this straight:

the dolphin trainer scene was not in the theatrical cut (although there is some conflicting info on this)

the scene was on the pan/scan first dvd release
the scene is now 'missing' from the widescreen new DVD version.

BuddyRevell
09-07-06, 12:19 PM

the dolphin trainer scene was not in the theatrical cut (although there is some conflicting info on this)

Not only the DVD, but it was included on the VHS release as well.

Jay G.
09-07-06, 12:21 PM

That is correct, although the only "conflicting info" is from a few people's faulty memories. IMDB clearly lists the scene as not being in the theatrical cut:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109040/alternateversions

dvd_luver
09-07-06, 01:11 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I think I may hold onto the Ace 1 snapper. It will more than likely go OOP and the cut scene it has makes it worth keeping considering most places that buy used dvds would probably only give me less than $1 for the dvd anyway.

Cinemaddiction
09-07-06, 01:26 PM
It went OOP this Tuesday, not that it matters, given it was in production for 9 years, and the market, retail and secondary, are saturated with them.

coli
09-07-06, 01:56 PM

There is a difference between inserting a scene that was shot when filming the movie, and putting in effects 20 years later that don't mesh.

Regardless of whether it is a great scene or not, which I think it is the funniest in the movie, it doesn't hurt the movie and it blends seamlessly into the theatrical release.

The OT SE on the other hand, have new scenes (New Emperor in ESB, CG Jabba in ANH, Hayden in ROTJ) and 1997 Special Effects that are added in movies that were shot from 77-83.

So that isn't a good analogy of fans bitching about one little scene that was shot originally that was added in Ace Ventura, and dozens of CG shots and a couple added scenes that inserted 20 years later.

Giles
09-07-06, 02:24 PM
There is a difference between inserting a scene that was shot when filming the movie, and putting in effects 20 years later that don't mesh.

Regardless of whether it is a great scene or not, which I think it is the funniest in the movie, it doesn't hurt the movie and it blends seamlessly into the theatrical release.

The OT SE on the other hand, have new scenes (New Emperor in ESB, CG Jabba in ANH, Hayden in ROTJ) and 1997 Special Effects that are added in movies that were shot from 77-83.

So that isn't a good analogy of fans bitching about one little scene that was shot originally that was added in Ace Ventura, and dozens of CG shots and a couple added scenes that inserted 20 years later.

I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film, nothing was reshot and reinstated "20 years later" - it's just too bad that WB didn't really track down or anamorphically transfer the longer cut for the new DVD version.

runnersdialzero
09-07-06, 03:10 PM
I'm going to pass on this for now.

I really only want Ace 1, I can do without Ace 2. Give it a little time and Warner will release them individually. Just like Columbia just did with the Ghostbusters 2 pack. You can get those now individually in keepcases.

Saxon

Jay G.
09-07-06, 03:10 PM
I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film.....
....and were subsequently cut out of the film by the director prior to theatrical release, for a variety of possible reasons. Why should the FF and Network TV cuts get precedence over the theatrical?

Jay G.
09-07-06, 03:16 PM
I really only want Ace 1, I can do without Ace 2. Give it a little time and Warner will release them individually. Just like Columbia just did with the Ghostbusters 2 pack. You can get those now individually in keepcases.
Is is worth waiting though? Looking at DVDpricesearch, you only save about $2.50 buying one Ghostbusters movie over the 2-pack, and you don't get the scrapbook. When/if the new Ace DVD is released seperately, it'll probably be sans the cartoon disc and not much cheaper.

Giles
09-07-06, 03:30 PM
....and were subsequently cut out of the film by the director prior to theatrical release, for a variety of possible reasons. Why should the FF and Network TV cuts get precedence over the theatrical?

beats me, there's real no rhyme or reason why or how a film is worthy of expansion for television or some version of video (VHS, laserdisc). It's just unfortunate that fans can't get all they want from a film.

Kechulater
09-07-06, 03:37 PM
I have the widescreen laserdisc and I checked it and it indeed has the extra scene in question. I will pick this up and just keep the laserdisc. It seems the new release is the first one not to have the extra scene. Why take it out this time?

jmj713
09-07-06, 03:59 PM
Did nobody listen to the director's commentary. He plainly states that there was a lot of scenes cut, but he felt they did not belong in the film. It's not just one scenes; there are lots, and he's of very low opinion of them, which is why they were deleted in the first place. Surely, it'd be great to see them for us fans, but a three-disc set for under 13 bucks is okay by me. A four-disc SE boxset can always be released down the road.

hapgilmore
09-07-06, 04:56 PM
All of you whining about the loss of the dophin trainer scene need to get over it. Its a funny scene but missing it doesn't hurt the movie AT ALL. I can't believe some of you are refusing to buy this because the scene isn't there. Well, go enjoy your lame full screen copy and I'll enjoy my widescreen...in DTS as well!

BuddyRevell
09-07-06, 06:41 PM
All of you whining about the loss of the dophin trainer scene need to get over it. Its a funny scene but missing it doesn't hurt the movie AT ALL. I can't believe some of you are refusing to buy this because the scene isn't there. Well, go enjoy your lame full screen copy and I'll enjoy my widescreen...in DTS as well!

Well why don't ya cry about it?? Saddlebags!!

mzupeman2
09-07-06, 06:42 PM
I agree with coli, and not to reiterate too much of what he stated in his post, but all the scenes (the aforementioned 'Dolphin trainer' scene and additional broadcast expanded scenes) were at some point culled for an initial rough cut of the film, nothing was reshot and reinstated "20 years later" - it's just too bad that WB didn't really track down or anamorphically transfer the longer cut for the new DVD version.

For those who remember the dolphin trainer scene in the theatrical version, it wasn't. Trust me.

And the difference between how footage gets re-inserted back into the film means absolutely nothing. There was additional footage for Gladiator that was thrown back into the film for the Directors Cut edition later on, but the theatrical edition was the directors preferred version for the film.

Yes, the dolphin trainer scene was damn funny and it was only a short add-on that I enjoyed a bit. But, just because something was shot for a film, ended up eventually on the cutting room floor... doesn't mean that it was intended for the film all along by the director. It's not like we're talking about an extra twenty minutes of footage to the film here, we're talking about like, two minutes. This film with that footage was still only about an hour and a half, so I can't see them discluding it from the theatrical release due to time restrictions or any such excuse we can think of.

The 'theatrical' version of Ace Ventura, is the 'correct' version. That's the whole argument with Star Wars as well once you cut out all the fanboys technicalities that are already popping up in this thread. The bottom line is, it's not about what the 'longest' or 'most packed' release is, it's about what the 'correct' release is. The theatrical cut, is the proper release for this film. As said in the commentary, the directors doesn't care for the 'cut scenes' and even though we can say the excuse 'but this scene was even on the original VHS release'... so what? A very early example of studios throwing gimmicks at consumers to get them to buy something. 'Why must you buy this and see it NOW?! Because it has a new scene!'. Again, that was not the 'correct' version of the film! Any film enthusiast who always complains about leaving films pure in the form the director intended, well that's what you have here.

But as been said, if you really don't want to buy these flicks with the animated series bonus discs that have been greatly improved with an HD transfer, widescreen that's anamorphic, DTS track... all for 12.99... then don't buy it if you must must must have that scene. Again, as I said before, the studios could have milked this with special editions at regular price PER FILM and still made good money. They didn't, respect to them for that.

Brett
09-07-06, 06:52 PM
Anyone know if the Dolphin scene is in another region's DVD release?

Alan Smithee
09-07-06, 07:26 PM
I really don't mean to threadcrap

<i>Mod note... then you shouldn't do it</i>

GoldenJCJ
09-07-06, 08:19 PM
But they did take him to the looney bin... :)

Filmmaker
09-07-06, 08:24 PM
I really don't mean to threadcrap, but I worked at a theater when this movie was out...

So end the mystery for us already--was the Heinz scene in the original theatrical exhibition or not?

Cameron
09-07-06, 08:24 PM
While I despised Jim Carrey for Ace Ventura, he ended up doing enough other movies to earn some respect from me.

thats all he ever really wanted...forget the money, fame, women...as long as that dude on the internet respects me...

mzupeman2
09-07-06, 08:49 PM
Well the first Ace film was a bit better with its story and just the overall construction of the film. Ace was an over the top kind of guy, but it was only meant to be a silly comedy to showcase the likes of Jim Carrey but ended up being well written and put together for the type of comedy it was. The second film was way more over the top and much more along the lines of simply trying to make it a scene for scene Jim/Ace showcase and it was put together pretty loosely but still warranted many good laughs. I don't know how one could like the second film and not the first one bit, considering half of the movie was stolen from the first to begin with.

Anyways, enough with the questions of 'did the dolphin thingy appear in theaters'... IT DIDN'T. I should know, I had seen it in the theaters and recall clear as day seeing the new scene on VHS for the first time and saying to myself 'so that's the new scene' and thinking it was quite funny. I was a little skeptical being it wasn't the 'theatrical' version on VHS but it didn't ruin the film at all... it was a good scene.

Filmmaker
09-07-06, 09:15 PM
Having watched "the scene" on YouTube.com, I'd have to say, eh, not bad--the part where he simulates dolphin speak is pretty choice--but hardly worth the fervor many are making over it, and as far as these assertions that the scene makes for one of the, if not the, funniest scenes in the film are concerned, give me a break...

TheKing
09-07-06, 09:48 PM

Directors don't always have final cut over their films. A prime example of this would be Born In East L.A., which has an entire 3rd act cut from the film in the theatrical (and DVD) version. 20 minutes was added to the TV version, which makes the ending actually make sense, unlike in the theatrical version where LA is right on the Mexican border.

Since Cheech Marin starred, wrote and directed the film, I can't imagine him cutting so much of the film out willingly, unless the studio had a running time clause in the contract.

This is obviously the exception to the rule, but it's time that these alternate versions were preserved. Let's face it, many films have run much longer in their TV cuts than their theatrical ones. I'm not saying do that all the time, but at least give us these deletec scenes.

JP5683
09-08-06, 12:43 AM
Not to take this thread away from the original topic, but, damn, I never knew there was a longer version of Born In East LA.

I knew there was a reason why I hadn't puchased the DVD yet...

Stupid Wikipedia knows everything...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_East_L.A.

CertifiedTHX
09-08-06, 04:21 AM
...and as far as these assertions that the scene makes for one of the, if not the, funniest scenes in the film are concerned, give me a break...
With all due respect, those assertions may hold no truth for you, but they do nonetheless for those who have made them, including myself. I got so much joy from that moment of the film. If it was included as an extended scene, no problem. As long as it was available on the disc.

Having said that, and having seen the new transfer compared with the old, I might pick this up, anyway. It looks really good, and does tempt me. Then just record the TV version from whatever network airs it again sooner or later.

--THX

Filmmaker
09-08-06, 06:30 AM
With all due respect, those assertions may hold no truth for you, but they do nonetheless for those who have made them, including myself.

Thank you for defining an opinion for me, you've really made my day. I stand by "give me a break"...

mzupeman2
09-08-06, 07:07 AM
Come on. Everybody has their own opinion about the scene. It matters not though, again, it's all about what the 'correct' version of the film is.

I can't argue about it not being listed as a deleted scene though, that would have been nice, but again, for 12.99 for all you get...

Filmmaker
09-08-06, 07:26 AM
it's all about what the 'correct' version of the film is.

I can't argue about it not being listed as a deleted scene though, that would have been nice, but again, for 12.99 for all you get...

You'll get no argument there.

The Bus
09-08-06, 07:48 AM
I've actually never seen that scene. I saw Ace Venture theatrically and never saw it in home video.

Jay G.
09-08-06, 09:11 AM
Directors don't always have final cut over their films.
True, but that doesn't apply here. There's no evidence that the theatrical cut of Ace was contrary to what the director wanted or was happy with, and there's no evidence that either the P&S home video or Network versions constitute a "director's cut" of the film.

A prime example of this would be Born In East L.A., which has an entire 3rd act cut from the film in the theatrical (and DVD) version. 20 minutes was added to the TV version, which makes the ending actually make sense, unlike in the theatrical version where LA is right on the Mexican border.

Since Cheech Marin starred, wrote and directed the film, I can't imagine him cutting so much of the film out willingly....
It's actually hard to determine just from different cut what the director's happy with. The extent of the footege cut doesn't mean it was against what the director wanted. The 40-Year-Old Virgin has more than 20 mins of deleted scenes, some of which was added back to an "unrated" version of the film. However, Aptow makes clear that the unrated version is not a director's cut, but merely an alternate cut with more scenes. Peter Jackson added back 35-50 minutes of additional footage back to his Lord of the Rings films, but has said that if he had to choose, the theatrical cuts are his preferred versions. Luc Besson created a cut of the film Leon that was 20 minutes longer, but states that it isn't a director's cut, merely a longer version. In the commentary for the "original director's cut" of Army of Darkness, Bruce Campbell quips that the longer the film is, the more sense it makes. Yet Raimi makes it clear that he cut a lot of scenes, even those that help make the story coherent, because of pacing reasons; even this cut of the film is missing scenes that add logic to the story.

So, the mere absense of some scenes, even scenes that help the film make sense, doesn't mean that the theatrical is not the director's preferred cut, nor does it make any alternate longer cuts a director's cut by default.

This is obviously the exception to the rule, but it's time that these alternate versions were preserved.
The question is: which alternate versions? The first rough assembly? The last edit before whole scenes were removed? The alternate TV version which was worked on after the theatrical cut was finished?

In any case, the P&S version of Ace with the extra scene is preserved, there's a DVD of it that's been out for years now.

Let's face it, many films have run much longer in their TV cuts than their theatrical ones.
I don't know about that. A lot of TV edits of films contain additional scenes, but this is typically because they've edited out other scenes from the film, and need to pad the time of the film back out.

I'm not saying do that all the time, but at least give us these deleted scenes.
Deleted scenes are nice, and it's a shame they weren't included. However, I don't think a studio or DVD should be slammed for finally presenting the correct theatrical version of a film. If anything should be "preserved" and made available to the public, it should be that.

Whitebeard
09-09-06, 11:21 AM
I don't think a studio or DVD should be slammed for finally presenting the correct theatrical version of a film. If anything should be "preserved" and made available to the public, it should be that.

No one's slamming them for that. We're slamming them for omitting things that would be easy to include, as deleted scenes or otherwise. Any real fan of a movie like this would prefer to have all the extra stuff as opposed to not having it. Especially when the extra stuff has previously been available on a lesser format, and when they even included a bonus disc of stupid animated episodes no one cares about.

Those of us who are fans of the film (as opposed to compulsive collectors like the guy who reasoned, "3 discs for $13? SOLD!") would have gladly paid the few extra dollars for a more complete release.

And as the "theatrical version" is often a studio-butchered version that defies the auteur's vision, I don't see why the version released to theaters is necessarily more "preservable" than a DC.

Jay G.
09-09-06, 02:24 PM
No one's slamming them for that.
Are you kidding? Lot's people said they refuse to buy it because the film doesn't include that scene. People who still own the original DVD are saying they're not going to buy it because of the omission of the one scene.

We're slamming them for omitting things that would be easy to include, as deleted scenes or otherwise.
I agree that deleted scenes are a very nice feature, I love them, and it's a shame they're not included on the DVD as deleted scenes. However, I've never seen the lack of deleted scenes as a deal breaker in buying a DVD. Shouldn't it be about the film?

Any real fan of a movie like this would prefer to have all the extra stuff as opposed to not having it.
Any "real fan" would want the film as it was originally presented in theaters, with the original cut in the proper aspect ratio, instead of a cropped version with added scenes the studio made to appeal to the "masses."

Especially when the extra stuff has previously been available on a lesser format
Only the one scene has been available on VHS or DVD, the other scenes were only on TV.

and when they even included a bonus disc of stupid animated episodes no one cares about.
Nobody but "real fans" of the character. ;)

Seriously, calling up what you think a "real fan" consists of is a dangerous argument. People love films for different reasons, and different people find different aspects of films more important than others. To start to say that people with different opinions are "lesser" fans than you is really rude and not very justifiable.

And as the "theatrical version" is often a studio-butchered version that defies the auteur's vision, I don't see why the version released to theaters is necessarily more "preservable" than a DC.
There's zero evidence that anything other than the theatrical cut constitutes a "director's cut" of this film. I was saying that given this lack of director's preference for the other cuts, the theatrical cut should be given precedence.

Patrick Mirza
09-09-06, 02:25 PM
Follow this link (http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/altcuts/aceventura.html) to a list of deleted scenes from the syndicated TV cut of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Whitebeard
09-09-06, 04:57 PM
Are you kidding? Lot's people said they refuse to buy it because the film doesn't include that scene. People who still own the original DVD are saying they're not going to buy it because of the omission of the one scene.No, I am not kidding. As I said before, we don't mind them releasing the theatrical cut, and that is not what they are being slammed for. We are slamming them for not including the extra material that they obviously have readily available.

Any "real fan" would want the film as it was originally presented in theaters, with the original cut in the proper aspect ratio, instead of a cropped version with added scenes the studio made to appeal to the "masses."I never argued for the old foolscreen version if that's what you're alluding to. I also never argued against the theatrical cut.

Only the one scene has been available on VHS or DVD, the other scenes were only on TV.How does that make them any less desirable?

Nobody but "real fans" of the character. ;) People love films for different reasons, and different people find different aspects of films more important than others.I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I say that the reason people love Ace Ventura is because of what Jim Carrey did with the character, not the cheap, spin-off cartoon. But thanks for the lesson, professor.

There's zero evidence that anything other than the theatrical cut constitutes a "director's cut" of this film. I was saying that given this lack of director's preference for the other cuts, the theatrical cut should be given precedence.That's dandy. I was actually referring to your blanket statement regarding theatrical versions being more worthy of preservation.

Jay G.
09-09-06, 07:57 PM
No, I am not kidding. As I said before, we don't mind.... We are slamming....
Who's this "we"? You should speak for yourself, and not for others, some of whom clearly were doing the things you say "we're" not.

How does that make [the TV added scenes] any less desirable?
None, as deleted scenes at least. I just thought by "lesser format" you were talking about a home video format, like VHS. The TV scenes never appeared on a home video format.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I say that the reason people love Ace Ventura is because of what Jim Carrey did with the character, not the cheap, spin-off cartoon.
No doubt, but you're being a bit presumptious to assume that fans aren't interested in the cartoon series at all.

I was actually referring to your blanket statement regarding theatrical versions being more worthy of preservation.
I'd assumed from the context of my original post that my point was clear, i.e. I was specifically replying to TheKing's assertion that the VHS or TV edit consitute a director's cut of the film and/or are more deserving of being put on DVD. They don't, and they aren't.

I can see, however, that if you take my last paragraph out of context, it could be considered a blanket statement. So, to be clear, here's my general ranking, in order of importance, of which edits of a film deserve to be "preserved":

1) Director's Cut
2) Theatrical Cut
3) Extended, Unrated, or any other cuts of the film.

Now, 1 and 2 are very close to each other, and I'd say they almost have equal importance to a film. Also, my personal preferences for a film edit may differ from this list based on the specific film, as may my ranking of importance.

However, given that general list, as there's no director's cut of Ace, then we should defer to the theatrical.

CertifiedTHX
09-09-06, 09:39 PM
Thank you for defining an opinion for me, you've really made my day.
Come to think, you're right: There was little point, really, to that post. I was seeking to defend an opinion. Quite unnecessary.

I stand by "give me a break"...
:) And I stand by my assertion that the German trainer scene was among the funniest in the movie, and deserved a place on the DVD.

--THX

Jay G.
09-09-06, 09:45 PM
And I stand by my assertion that the German trainer scene was among the funniest in the movie, and deserved a place on the DVD.
Edited into the film, or as a deleted scene?

CertifiedTHX
09-09-06, 11:42 PM
Edited into the film, or as a deleted scene?
Deleted scene. I have no problem with the theatrical version being presented on the new DVD. I just wish there was a deleted/extended scenes section with the German trainer. That would feel like a much more complete package to me.

--THX

Filmmaker
09-10-06, 09:17 AM
Then CertifiedTHX, it turns out we're in complete agreement on how the DVD should have been presented, regardless of our split on the quality of the missing scene itself; however, for those that want to act like it's a dealbreaker, though the DVD isn't all it should and could have been, I still think it's easily worth a purchase.

TheMovieman
09-10-06, 10:40 AM
I was going to sell off the old one but I guess I'll hang on to it (not that it's going to be worth anything). I do wish WB added it to a deleted scenes section, oh well.

chess
09-11-06, 08:58 AM
Meh.

Glad to have a widescreen version and the second movie. Glad it's the theatrical version. Glad it was reasonably priced.

Don't miss that scene one bit.

How anyone could think THAT was was the best scene in the movie is beyond me. The singing butt...the "payment" for rescuing the rat dog..."Can you feel that?!"...the shark tank...when he realized he kissed the police chief...tons of hilarious and classic stuff. That scene was so inconsequential, I had to watch the youtube clip just to see what it was.

darmok
09-11-06, 03:08 PM
c'mon, how can you deny that classic scene? besides the german accent, the ridiculous dialog that comes out of his mouth is brilliant. "for seven years" and he holds up five fingers, "and you can quote him" and spits on the floor. great schtuff!!

ILikeDVD
09-11-06, 07:30 PM
I think its on the laserdisc too

paulringodaman
09-11-06, 08:00 PM
the scene is redundant and stupid

Judremy
09-11-06, 08:46 PM
the scene is redundant and stupid

Assuming you know what redunant means, how is that scene redundant?