Reload this Page >

My PS2 keeps freezing!!!!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-03-06, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 5 year old PS2. I have taken good care of it and until recently,it was playing pefectly. Around a month ago, it began to freeze after 30 minutes of gameplay.I tried different games, and the same thing happens. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is the lifetime of this console only 5 years? I still have all my Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64)playing in perfect condition, so for me is a new thing for a system to break down on me other than a computer. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-03-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know a single person that had a PS2 last more than 2 years so if anything I would say you really lucked out. You got plenty of life out of it and I would recommend buying one of the new slim line models instead of spending money fixing a 5 year old console. The slim models seem to be much more durable and may last you another 5 years.
Old 09-04-06, 01:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that...

My original PS2 lived for about 5-6 years. I used it a lot, and it was my primary DVD player for about six months. I ended up buying a PStwo a year or so ago.
Old 09-04-06, 04:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
I still have all my Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64)playing in perfect condition, so for me is a new thing for a system to break down on me other than a computer.

You can't really compare those old cartridge based consoles to modern consoles. Those old consoles were very simplistic, while modern consoles are much more complex with many more internal parts. Modern consoles are basically scaled down PCs in a little box.

Think of it like comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle. A motorcycle is much more likely to have problems because of the more complex parts.
Old 09-04-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My PS2 is dying too.. or maybe it's just a loose wire or something, but I can't find my micro-screwdriver set to open it up. What sucks for me is that if I have to get a new PS2 I'll also have to buy (and install *shudder*) another modchip since I've got way too many imports (and I am ordering another this week and putting another on pre-order).
Old 09-05-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it is hot you could try using a fan to blow onto the console to see if it extends the time before it starts giving you problems. As they get older it is not unlikely that it is running hotter.

Good Luck.
Old 09-05-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine working again! It WAS a loose wire, so loose it broke off when we were checking it out. Sony quality as usual.. and they want us to pay $600 for their next machine?! Yikes. Anyway, it was an easy fix.. the store I go to gets PS2s to repair almost every day so they have a lot of useless parts (since it's 99% of the time the drive that dies) we just grabbed another motherboard and hooked all my stuff to it. Yay! Back to Espgaluda for me.
Old 09-06-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my PS2 on release day, and it's still running fine six years later. But I'm guessing I play a lot less than most of you - usually only a couple of hours a week at most. Anyway, I probably won't get around to picking up a PS3 until a year or so after release, so hopefully my current system will hold up for another couple years at least.
Old 09-06-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gcribbs
If it is hot you could try using a fan to blow onto the console to see if it extends the time before it starts giving you problems. As they get older it is not unlikely that it is running hotter.

Good Luck.
Definitely try this. This method has worked for me on a satellite receiver, dvd player and an old console game (forget which one).

Any kind of personal fan (like you see in cubes/offices) will do.