Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Jesus Camp' movie trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-01-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me start by saying......no comment.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/jesus-camp/27214/trailer
Old 09-01-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
Have no idea what to think on this.... it'll be interesting to watch I suppose. Certainly there's many ways to worship and express faith but sometimes heavily charismatic churches are so caught up in the "emotion" they forget some biblical principles...

One thing I don't understand is this whole "forcing their votes un us" mentality.... should religous poeple not be allowed to vote or something?

Anyone who's candidate/issue doesn't go their way could claim oppression from the other side.
Old 09-02-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go.
Old 09-02-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Premise
Here we go.
I shall start the war: AOL SUCKS!!!
Old 09-02-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I shall start the war: AOL SUCKS!!!
...and religious fascism always seems the same regardless which religion it comes from.
Old 09-02-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I hope it's as funny as "Saved".
Old 09-02-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,007 Likes on 614 Posts
Scary. Even scarier that I was raised under some of that (but maybe not quite as extreme).

Nothing like using Jesus and children for your own political and social means. Ugh...but still fascinating. I will watch but in disgust.

Reminds me of another engrossing religious nut documentary called Hell House. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301235/

Compelling but wretched at the same time. See it.
Old 09-02-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
religious fascism always seems the same regardless which religion it comes from.
Fox reporters were recently held at gunpoint for conversion to Islam. Is that the same as a church/synagogue holding a camp to celebrate their beliefs?
Old 09-02-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Fox reporters were recently held at gunpoint for conversion to Islam. Is that the same as a church/synagogue holding a camp to celebrate their beliefs?
I think we can agree that the Fox reporter gunpoint conversion was a little more extreme than what probably goes on at that boot camp for christians. Though that camp seemed to be a little more than a place to 'celebrate their beliefs'.
My point is religious extremists of any type are bad for business.
I sure as heck wouldn't want my kid hanging anywhere near those wackos.
I would think teaching religious tolerance to our youth might be a healthier approach.
Old 09-02-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think the end times or politics should be pushed on kids at that age - much more beneficial to focus on loving your neighbor as yourself, how to handle disagreements, etc.. imo.
Old 09-06-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This isn't a sequel to Space Camp.
Old 09-06-06, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"This one time, at Jesus Camp..."
Old 09-07-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every time I glance at this thread title, I think it says 'Jesse Camp' ( the tall skinny rock dude from Mtv ).
Old 09-07-06, 08:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the trailer scares me.
Old 09-07-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Michael Moore should make this documentary
Old 09-07-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a review someone posted on IMDB....

I saw this film at the Silverdocs festival, expecting it to be little more than an oddball slice of Americana, but I was pleasantly surprised.

"Jesus Camp" revolves around a pentecostal minister who hosts a summer camp for children in North Dakota, and the sectarian Christian conservative families who send their children to this camp. Directors Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady wisely chose to avoid the polemical tone of most politically-motivated films, and instead opt to present a mostly unfiltered glimpse of this odd subculture. But through carefully selected images and the use of talk radio commentary as a framing device, they construct a subtle, yet damning narrative about a religious movement that isolates its children from mainstream culture, indoctrinates them into right-wing causes, and uses them as political props.

At Jesus Camp, the daily activities include standard camp fare such as spelunking and go-karts, but they also include speaking in tongues and smashing coffee mugs emblazoned with the word "government". Children learn that "science doesn't prove anything," and learn to consider themselves part of an Army of God. They are compelled to pledge that they will fight to end abortion. They are even pushed into publicly confessing their impure thoughts, and many of them cry and wail charismatically.

The camp director explains that she admires the way Islamic cultures raise children so devoted they will risk their lives for their faith. When we ultimately see several of the campers being placed by their parents on the steps of the Capitol with tape over their mouths, protesting abortion, the real purpose of this camp is driven home.

But the most touching scenes are the ones where the children are alone, and we see the ways that this indoctrination creeps into the most innocent elements of childhood. 11 year old Tori loves dancing to Christian rock, but frets that it's not always easy to dance for God instead of "dancing for the flesh." On an outing to the bowling alley, 9 year old Rachael feels compelled to walk up to strangers and awkwardly evangelize to them, without being prompted. A roomful of boys telling ghost stories after dark are interrupted by an adult who warns them about stories that don't glorify God.

No doubt some viewers will accuse the filmmakers of the dreaded liberal bias. But this is not a work of fiction, nor is it slanted reporting. These are real people and real events, captured on film. If the evangelical movement comes off badly in this film, the people on screen have no one but themselves to blame.
Old 09-07-06, 02:05 PM

Here's a review someone posted on IMDB....

I saw this film at the Silverdocs festival, expecting it to be little more than an oddball slice of Americana, but I was pleasantly surprised.

"Jesus Camp" revolves around a pentecostal minister who hosts a summer camp for children in North Dakota, and the sectarian Christian conservative families who send their children to this camp. Directors Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady wisely chose to avoid the polemical tone of most politically-motivated films, and instead opt to present a mostly unfiltered glimpse of this odd subculture. But through carefully selected images and the use of talk radio commentary as a framing device, they construct a subtle, yet damning narrative about a religious movement that isolates its children from mainstream culture, indoctrinates them into right-wing causes, and uses them as political props.

At Jesus Camp, the daily activities include standard camp fare such as spelunking and go-karts, but they also include speaking in tongues and smashing coffee mugs emblazoned with the word "government". Children learn that "science doesn't prove anything," and learn to consider themselves part of an Army of God. They are compelled to pledge that they will fight to end abortion. They are even pushed into publicly confessing their impure thoughts, and many of them cry and wail charismatically.

The camp director explains that she admires the way Islamic cultures raise children so devoted they will risk their lives for their faith. When we ultimately see several of the campers being placed by their parents on the steps of the Capitol with tape over their mouths, protesting abortion, the real purpose of this camp is driven home.

But the most touching scenes are the ones where the children are alone, and we see the ways that this indoctrination creeps into the most innocent elements of childhood. 11 year old Tori loves dancing to Christian rock, but frets that it's not always easy to dance for God instead of "dancing for the flesh." On an outing to the bowling alley, 9 year old Rachael feels compelled to walk up to strangers and awkwardly evangelize to them, without being prompted. A roomful of boys telling ghost stories after dark are interrupted by an adult who warns them about stories that don't glorify God.

No doubt some viewers will accuse the filmmakers of the dreaded liberal bias. But this is not a work of fiction, nor is it slanted reporting. These are real people and real events, captured on film. If the evangelical movement comes off badly in this film, the people on screen have no one but themselves to blame.
Jesus Camp actually won the Silverdoc's Sterling Award for feature film.

also I'm a little surprised that no one here hasn't mentioned that the director's of the film also directed the critically acclamied The Boys of Baraka (which incidently tied with Street Fight winning the Audience Award at the 2005 Silverdocs Film Festival)
Old 09-07-06, 02:08 PM

Jesus Camp

here's the playdates/theatrical rollout of the film:

Opening
9/7/2006
Newark, DE: Cinema Center 3 Theatres

9/15/2006
Colorado Springs, CO: Twin Peak Cinemas
Olathe, KS: Studio 30
Independence, MO: Independence Commons 20
Kansas City, MO: Tivoli @ Manor Square
Springfield, MO: Campbell 16 Cine
Oklahoma City, OK: Quail Springs 24
Tulsa, OK: Southroads 20
Dallas, TX: Magnolia Theatre - Dallas
Grapevine, TX: Grapevine 30 Theatres
Plano, TX: Angelika Film Center and Cafe

9/22/2006
New York, NY: Empire 25 Theaters
New York, NY: Angelika Film Center (6)

9/27/2006
Aspen, CO: Aspen Film Festival

9/29/2006
Encino, CA: Town Center 5
Orange, CA: Century Stadium 25 Theatre - Orange
Pasadena, CA: Playhouse 7 Cinemas
Pleasant Hill, CA: Century 5 Theatre - Pleasant Hill
San Francisco, CA: Embarcadero Center Cinema
San Rafael, CA: Smith Rafael Film Center
Santa Ana, CA: Edwards South Coast Village 3
West Hollywood, CA: Sunset 5
Washington, DC: E Street Cinema
Chicago, IL: Pipers Alley 4
Evanston, IL: Cinearts 6

10/6/2006
Rancho Mirage, CA: Century @ the River
San Diego, CA: Hillcrest Cinemas
Denver, CO: Chez Artiste
Indianapolis, IN: Keystone Art Cinema 7
Cambridge, MA: Kendall Square Cinema
Bloomfield Hills, MI: Maple Art Theatre
Minneapolis, MN: Lagoon Cinema
Frontenac, MO: Plaza Frontenac Cinema
Charlotte, NC: Ballantyne Village 5
Montclair, NJ: Clairidge Cinemas
Manhasset, NY: Manhasset Cinemas
White Plains, NY: Clearview Cinema 100 Twin
Cleveland Heights, OH: Cedar Lee Theatres
Columbus, OH: Drexel East Theatre
Portland, OR: Fox Tower 10
Knoxville, TN: Downtown West Cinema 8
Nashville, TN: Green Hills 16
Austin, TX: Arbor Cinemas at Great Hills
Seattle, WA: Metro Cinemas

10/13/2006
Tucson, AZ: Century El Con 20 Theatre
Albuquerque, NM: Century 14 Downtown

10/20/2006
Reno, NV: Century Riverside 12

10/27/2006
Charlottesville, VA: Virginia Film Festival/Univ VA

11/9/2006
Rehoboth Beach, DE: Movies at Midway

Last edited by Giles; 09-07-06 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Boy, that is a scary trailer. I loved Saw, but I don't think I could watch this. I tend to think that children should be taught through rationality rather than emotionalism, because they can't handle it yet, nor do they have a firm basis for that emotional high.

I will pass. You know what really gets me...the Bible does talk about some people (generally Satan) as being an enemy. But when referring to other humans, Jesus points out that we are to love our enemies, yet many fundamentalists want to start a way based on having enemies, which was never something preached by Jesus.

Pretty sad.
Old 09-07-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I would think teaching religious tolerance to our youth might be a healthier approach.
Problem with that is that the meaning of religious tolerance has changed. It used to mean "I respect your right to practice your religion" but has morphed into "I have to accept your religion as a valid alternative to my own." I have a problem with the second definition. I will respect anyone's right to practice their religion, assuming it is not illegal or harmful to society, but I will not accept other religions as a valid alternative to my own.
Old 09-07-06, 07:09 PM
Banned

Man, I knew religion sucked for a reason.
Old 09-07-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I blocked this part of my childhood out.
Old 09-08-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I predict a lot of 'PWNED!!1!' moments for these kids in the future.
Old 09-08-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Problem with that is that the meaning of religious tolerance has changed. It used to mean "I respect your right to practice your religion" but has morphed into "I have to accept your religion as a valid alternative to my own." I have a problem with the second definition. I will respect anyone's right to practice their religion, assuming it is not illegal or harmful to society, but I will not accept other religions as a valid alternative to my own.
I'm not sure where you are getting this change from, except from your own beliefs. Was there a memo that I missed re: religious tolerance?
Old 09-08-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

looks very interesting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.