Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which "Halloween" DVD version is the best?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-01-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to buy "Halloween" on DVD, but there are so many versions on Amazon for sale. I saw that there is the Halloween (Divimax 25th Anniversary Edition). Is that a good one to get?

I don't really want to have the TV scenes put back in the movie, so that version is one I'm gonna steer clear of.
Old 09-01-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

OK, there's a special edition that was a two discer a while back that was pretty good and had the proper coloring from what I understand. There's some scenes where you have like a purplish tint to them which was done intentionally to give the movie a certain feel. That coloring has been 'corrected' slightly I guess in the mastering of the Divimax 25th anniversary edition, so that at night, everything looks more natural. The daytime scenes look better, crisper, and brighter than the old two disc edition though. I personally have the Divimax 25th anniversary edition and quality wise it's the best one out there. People hope eventually we'll have one with this great quality but with the original coloring for nightime scenes.

There's a ton of threads about this already, in the future I would recommend using search.
Old 09-01-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did search, and found Halloween threads, but didn't see any on this certain topic.

I'm sure someone will now find a thread like this and make a witty remark along with a link to it.

Thanks for the info, though
Old 09-01-06, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd get the 25th Ann. now, it's still a good looking version. And then get the next release that comes along....hopefully its from Synapse and not AB.
Old 09-01-06, 09:16 PM

Hi Sean, did a lot of research before buying mine because I wanted to get the best DVD version of Hallween as well. Unfortunately the best version is 2 versions. I'll try and keep this as short.

The Limited Edition - Restored (see link below) is the best version for Picture in my opinion. It preserves the original "midnight blue" look this film was suppose to have in many of the night time scenes. True, the 25th Anniversary Edition Divimax release is a slight step-up in picture quality, but you lose the intended "midnight blue" effect. Many scenes are also brighter than they should be. Don't get me wrong, the 25th Anniversary Edition is by no means a bad release. The picture is bright and details are razor sharp, but they went overboard with color correction. Take a look at the link below. It says it all.

Now for the reasons, you should get the 25th Anniversay Divimax. I'll sum it up in two words. Special Features. It's loaded. Including a Curtis/Carpenter/Hill Commentary which has been the holy-grail for many a Halloween Fan and was finally carried over from the Laserdisc Release. Now, if the extras aren't important to you, then the choice is clear in my opinion. I would get The Limited Restored Edition I spoke about above.

What did I get you may ask. We'll, I made my own Halloween Ultimate Edition set by buying the 2 Disc Special Edition on EBay for a great price, which includes The Restored Version and the TV Version and Extras. Then I also bought the 25th Anniversary Divimax Release.

Excellent Screen Shot Comparison between Releases -
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-.../compare.shtml

Halloween Production Diary - Good info on Restored and TV Version
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hallow..._edition.shtml

http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Rest...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind, I am no expert on this, just did some reading and thought I could save you a little work. I'm sure you'll enjoy any release you choose. Good luck.

Last edited by honestjohn; 09-01-06 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for the 25th Anniversary edition. The extras are really worthwhile, especially the 87-minute documentary on the 2nd disc.
Old 09-01-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
If you are watching on a very large screen or front projector, anything but the 25th Anniversary provides a disappointing experience because of compression related artifacting.
I have no problem with the changes in color timing found in scenes in the 25th ann disc, and I actually saw the film first run in the theater. For the life I would never be able to say whether the blue purple tones in some scenes were in the theatrical viewing or whether this was something that first happened during one of innumerable issues on home video.
Putting that aside the divi-max 25th anniversary disc has a very tight picture and excellant resolved detail for standard definition.

I'm looking forward to this coming out on HD at some point, but for right now thats the best version of it I've seen- by a good margin.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 09-01-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
For the life I would never be able to say whether the blue purple tones in some scenes were in the theatrical viewing or whether this was something that first happened during one of innumerable issues on home video.
The Limited Edition transfer was supervised by cinematographer Dean Cundey, the 25th Anniversary Edition was not. Case closed.
Old 09-01-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The Limited Edition transfer was supervised by cinematographer Dean Cundey, the 25th Anniversary Edition was not. Case closed.
does that reflect the way the film appeared theatrically, or the way Cundy felt it should look from some point forward of the first theatrical release? And if it were the later, would he be likely to admit it knowing it would become a source of contention? Has Cundy come out and blasted the newer AB disc as a travesty?
Aren't F.F. Coppolas 2.35 films truncated down to 2.20 for home video with the blessings of the Cinematographer? Does that mean the case is closed on discussions of those films presentations on home video?

For me, its a relatively minor point here (in that the positives of the presentation far outweigh the negatives). And actually the more natural timing( for me) isn't that out of line for what was always a more 'naturalistic' horror film. But I can understand some people getting bent out of shape about it, and fi I had the choice between a divimax version that had the artificial blues vs the natural look, I'd most likely take the former- however like The Searchers in HD, if you are trying to watch this on a large screen, there are other factors that compete for your attention throughout the film, rather than just the color timing differences that stand out in a few scenes. In the horrordvd comparision page, you can see the res differences even in just those small compressed jpegs- and that doesn't begin to illustrate what the artifacts from the LE look like in motion. If the display you are watching this on is relatively small 50" rp on down, by all means get the LE and enjoy it. If you have a larger display, especially a front pj- then I'm telling you that while the colors may be much more satisfying on the LE, you may find the image as a whole to be unsatsifying with many distracting artifacts.

fair 'nuff?

Last edited by Paul_SD; 09-02-06 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 08:16 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
does that reflect the way the film appeared theatrically, or the way Cundy felt it should look from some point forward of the first theatrical release? And if it were the later, would he be likely to admit it knowing it would become a source of contention? Has Cundy come out and blasted the newer AB disc as a travesty?

Aren't F.F. Coppolas 2.35 films truncated down to 2.20 for home video with the blessings of the Cinematographer? Does that mean the case is closed on discussions of those films presentations on home video?
Isn't this using one case to presuppose another? If Cundey supervised the transfer of one and not the other, does that not strongly indicate that the supervised one is the preferred option? Why suppose there's some Fox Mulderish conspiracy at work here? It just seems like you're making an awful lot of specious presumptions to defend your choice of preferring the 25th Anniversary version; it's one thing to challenge the makers of APOCALYPSE NOW for altering for home video a film commonly known to be 2.35:1 and quite another to look at two transfers of a film, one cinematographer-approved and the other not, and say "I think the cinematographer's full of shit".
Old 09-02-06, 08:29 AM

For me, its a relatively minor point here (in that the positives of the presentation far outweigh the negatives). And actually the more natural timing( for me) isn't that out of line for what was always a more 'naturalistic' horror film. But I can understand some people getting bent out of shape about it, and fi I had the choice between a divimax version that had the artificial blues vs the natural look, I'd most likely take the former- however like The Searchers in HD, if you are trying to watch this on a large screen, there are other factors that compete for your attention throughout the film, rather than just the color timing differences that stand out in a few scenes. In the horrordvd comparision page, you can see the res differences even in just those small compressed jpegs- and that doesn't begin to illustrate what the artifacts from the LE look like in motion. If the display you are watching this on is relatively small 50" rp on down, by all means get the LE and enjoy it. If you have a larger display, especially a front pj- then I'm telling you that while the colors may be much more satisfying on the LE, you may find the image as a whole to be unsatsifying with many distracting artifacts.

fair 'nuff?
Yes, that's a very fair assesment. It all comes down to personal choice. Even on a 50" or larger display, regardless of type, some may still prefer to see Halloween as Cundey originally intended. It is all very subjective and depends on the individual and what he feels is most important. Now, did Halloween originally appear this way or did Cundey actually enhance the blues for the '99 Release? Maybe, maybe not. There hasn't been any official comments from Carpenter or Cundey on this so the jury is still out on that one. Also see below. Are we all beating a dead horse here? Probably, but what the hell, the horse is already dead, so why not.

Here's an interesting thread from HTF, including a post made from a "friend" of Bill Lustig who was there when Cundey was working on the '99 Release. Post seems credible, but who knows, this is the Internet.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/.../t-149217.html

Last edited by honestjohn; 09-02-06 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-02-06, 08:41 AM

i prefer the anchor bay 2 disc set as the menus are really nice.
Old 09-02-06, 12:51 PM

The divimax is the best one to get. Great extras on it too.
Old 09-02-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LeeVing
I'd get the 25th Ann. now, it's still a good looking version. And then get the next release that comes along....hopefully its from Synapse and not AB.

Actually ,I hope Synapse does not release the film
Old 09-02-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Synapse may have found new footage to the movie, but that doesn't mean they also found a piece of paper that gave them the rights to release the actual movie.
Old 09-02-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Isn't this using one case to presuppose another? If Cundey supervised the transfer of one and not the other, does that not strongly indicate that the supervised one is the preferred option?
no I was using the Coppola example, because we can all easily envision someone ignorant of the issues coming up and vehemently arguing that the way Apocolypse Now looks on dvd is 'correct' becasue it was apporved by the cinematographer and that if a presentation of it isn't matted on the sides you are seeing things that the cinematogprapher didn't want you to see.
And actually, though this guy would be ignorant of the theatrical history of the film, or the way the film was shot and intended to be displayed initially and how it looked when it was awarded an Oscar, he would be correct that Storarro wants you to view it this way, now, on home video.
If a future release of the film by the studio goes back to the original scope framing and then doesn't get Storarros input or 'blessing', would that mean it is patently incorrect (or worse) and that people should be advised to track down the earlier truncated discs for the version that shows artistic integrity?

the thing with artistic endorsements is, ultimately these guys are still human. They can choose to endorse something with an eye trained on every last detail, ensuring it fully represents their vision to the nth degree-or they can make a tough judicious call based on a restrictive set of parameters they currently have to work within- or they can waltz in check a few select scenes and sign off on them from there.

Over on HTF, people put a lot of stock in the recommendations of Robert Harris. Now, without a doubt the guy knows of what speaks, however something that fewer people seem to be conscious of (because he doesn't go out of his way to advertise it) is that when he recommends a transfer of a new disc, he probably hasn't sat down and watched the thing from begining to end. When he does, he makes note of it (his Goodfellas HD DVD review, for example), but many times it seems his opinion is formed from a spot check- and that ackowledgment only comes out when issues crop up that he didn't catch because he hadn't watched every frame from start to finish (as when the 1080i issues first came to light with The Fugitive HD DVD). Also the color timing issues on the recent Searchers discs was never brought up until others elsewhere forced the point, then Mr Harris offered that the reason he didn't want to bring them up was because they represent such a minor issue that the mention of and dwelling on them would steal attention away from the broader, overwhelimg positives to be found in the remaster (and I absolutely agree with him).

no conspriacy- just the extent of human nature. Its certainly ok to use an artistic endorsement as a frame of reference-but I have a hard time taking them as cannonical gospel since they may just represent an artists feelings at one particular point in time- or under a very particular set of restrictive circumstances.
Thats why I think its still valid to leave my eyes and ears some breathing room to make their own calls.

now after saying all that, here's a quote from Don May Jr in another forum to clairfy what happened in regards to the color on the Divimax transfer
Second, Jari, I believe the real story behind the Divimax screw-up of the color-timing is because, for the original standard def version, they DID get Dean Cundey to supervise/approve the transfer. For the hi-def version, it was my understanding that Joe Wolf provided Anchor Bay with a finished HD version that he sent them... obviously, this version wasn't supervised or approved by Cundey for whatever reason and whoever Joe Wolf had to do the transfer just did it wrong.
a shame, yes- but ultimately like I said earlier the resolution and stability of the divimax image trumps the unfortunate color changes or me, as it might for anyone else if they are watching it on a very large screen.

hopefully a HD version will be forthcoming that corrects all these problems once and for all.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 09-02-06 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, bumping this thread exactly 1 year later, almost to the day.

Question - Is the transfer on the "Limited Edition - Restored" version on any of the other Halloween releases? The Limited Edition - Restored version is out of print and kind of expensive even when it's used.
Old 09-02-07, 09:44 PM

single disc edition still available

Originally Posted by Seantn
Question - Is the transfer on the "Limited Edition - Restored" version on any of the other Halloween releases? The Limited Edition - Restored version is out of print and kind of expensive even when it's used.
The two-disc edition from 1999 has long been OOP. However, the single disc edition that features the Cundey-approved transfer is still widely available.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305546789
Old 09-02-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool, thank you so much for the info.
Old 09-02-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by hulka
The two-disc edition from 1999 has long been OOP. However, the single disc edition that features the Cundey-approved transfer is still widely available.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6305546789
This was just re-released with a holofoil cover, and if you buy it at Best Buy you get a free ticket inside to see the new one, if you care.

If you are a completist, I would get the 2-disc Limited Edition (OOP) and the 2-disc Divimax Edition (also OOP?), as that would get you all the currently available extras and both the Cundey and Carpenter transfers, but keep in mind that apparently deleted scenes were discovered recently and of course fans still debate over which transfer is accurate. So in my personal opinion it wouldn't be far-fetched to suggest that Anchor Bay might do an Ultimate 4-Disc Edition in 2008 ala Dawn of the Dead...but I don't know for sure. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 09-02-07 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I did search, and found Halloween threads, but didn't see any on this certain topic.

I'm sure someone will now find a thread like this and make a witty remark along with a link to it.

Thanks for the info, though
They’re have been numerous threads, asking which Halloween DVD is the best; sadly I have no link so my banter is less witty.
Old 09-03-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's probably too early to tell, but does anyone know if the Blu-ray version will be the original coloring or the 25th anniversary coloring?
Old 09-03-07, 09:55 AM

So in my personal opinion it wouldn't be far-fetched to suggest that Anchor Bay might do an Ultimate 4-Disc Edition in 2008 ala Dawn of the Dead...but I don't know for sure. Just something to keep in mind.
Anchor Bay...

Double Dip!!??

They'd never...

Personally, I think both transfers have pros and cons. I own both releases for that very reason.
Old 09-03-07, 10:39 AM
Banned

The 2-disk 25th Anniversary Divimax edition is without a doubt the best version of Halloween that there is.
Picture is fantastic and the extras are very good.
The only thing that is missing are the deleted scenes (shot for the TV version) which there are clips of in the documentary.
Old 09-03-07, 01:59 PM

Chris sc77,
The best part, is that you can still buy the "extended version" by itself for like 9.99 or less at some stores. I own that one (came with a best buy exclusive "Halloween" film cell) as well as the others. It's fun to view, but really slows the pace of the film down, and the scenes just don't work too well for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.